Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 549309 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #5215 on: March 19, 2021, 08:38:14 PM »
FROM NEAL MORSE:

In 2020 we were in Lockdown… but it’s 2021 and it’s time for Morsefest 2021: Renewal! I am so excited to announce that on Friday, March 26th at 9:00 AM CDT, tickets will go on sale for this year’s Morsefest. On Friday, October 8th and Saturday, October 9th, The Neal Morse Band will be playing two amazing shows! The setlist is a closely-guarded secret but I can tell you that it will include a chance to hear the live premieres of songs from the new NMB album, which will be released later this year.

We will be having both an in-person and an online event so as many of you can join us as possible. There will be 50 VIP and 150 regular double show tickets for people who would like to attend in person in Tennessee. If you can’t make the trip, you can see the stream of both shows in the comfort of your own home! Those of you who attended online last year will know that we were able to have a brilliant audio and video experience, and this year will be even better! We have an early sign-up discount on the Virtual Two Show, Virtual VIP, and Live Double Show tickets for the first two weeks – so get signed up early! We expect that the in-person tickets will sell quickly, so do make sure you secure yours. All the details are at the bottom of the email and look out for the ticket link next week!

God bless you,

Live VIP**: $899 ($999 after 2 weeks)

Only 50 tickets available (due to expected attendance restrictions)
VIPs will spend the afternoon and evening in the venue, with full facilities
Your chance to be in the audience for both shows!
Attendance at the band commentary sessions during the live streams on Friday and Saturday evening.
You will also be able to purchase merch onsite, as well as the special online merch deals.
VIP Merch Bag including exclusive Morsefest VIP t-shirt, VIP lanyard, poster and other surprises
Free copy of the live video of both shows
VIP games and Q&A on both days
Dinner each evening and snacks throughout the day
Entry to Inner Circle Concert
Live Double-Show Ticket: $250 ($300 after 2 weeks)

Only 150 tickets available (due to expected attendance restrictions)
Your chance to be in the audience for both shows!
You will also be able to purchase merch onsite and buy the live video of both shows as well as the special online merch deals.
** Please note to facilitate the live stream, the shows will take place in the afternoon. Double-Show ticket holders will able to be access the venue beforehand to buy merch and for the duration of the shows. Due to expected attendance restrictions and meeting social distancing requirements, we don’t expect to be able to offer catering or the ability to access the building at other times at this ticket level.

Virtual VIP: $175 ($199 after 2 weeks)

Front row seats (on your couch!) to attend the virtual concert on Friday and Saturday nights
Live online VIP game and Q&A on both days
VIP Merch Bag including Morsefest VIP t-shirt, VIP lanyard, poster and other surprises (this will be shipped to you in advance of the event)
Free copy of the live video of both shows - only available to ticketholders
Access to private Morsefest web portal, behind the scenes live video, special merch deals and other cool stuff!
Virtual Double-Show Tickets: $60 ($75 after 2 weeks)

Front row seats (on your couch!) to attend the virtual concert on Friday and Saturday nights
Opportunity to purchase an exclusive Morsefest release and other merch
Opportunity to purchase the live video of both shows - only available to ticketholders
Access to private Morsefest web portal, special merch deals and other cool stuff!
Blessings,

The Radiant Records Team

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #5216 on: March 20, 2021, 11:58:43 AM »
Much as I'd love to make it down there again for Morsefest, I'll probably go with the streaming option again this year. I'm supposed to be moving to Florida for September, but I don't know how the timeline will shake out exactly between Covid and when I'm able to close on a house. Feels like a bad idea to plan any travel in that window.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5217 on: March 26, 2021, 01:22:26 AM »
FROM NEAL MORSE:

MORSEFEST 2021: RENEWAL
Greetings Everyone!

As you all know, we had planned to put Morsefest 2021 tickets on sale tomorrow, March 26th. Unfortunately we have been notified by our credit card processor of some technical issues causing some payments to be declined over the past few days. They are trying to resolve this for us now. Because of these issues we have decided to postpone the Morsefest 2021 ticket launch for a few days to ensure everyone gets a fair chance to purchase tickets. When we are sure it has been resolved, we will announce a new launch time.

We are sorry for the inconvenience, and really appreciate your understanding and patience.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5218 on: March 26, 2021, 05:51:03 AM »
I guess this gives me some time to potentially change my mind, since my brother had planned to buy his tickets this morning and I was a no-go.  I doubt I will, though, as there are a few nagging things about this that just don't feel right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5219 on: March 26, 2021, 09:39:56 AM »
I guess this gives me some time to potentially change my mind, since my brother had planned to buy his tickets this morning and I was a no-go.  I doubt I will, though, as there are a few nagging things about this that just don't feel right.

Like?  (You don't have to answer if you don't want, just curious)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5220 on: March 26, 2021, 07:44:47 PM »
THAT WAS FAST!

From NM:

MORSEFEST 2021: RENEWAL
OK... WE'RE READY! It’s all systems go for Morsefest 2021: Renewal. Tickets go on sale Saturday, March 27th at 9:00 AM CDT at www.radiantrecords.com.

For info on both in-person and virtual tickets, click the button below.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5221 on: March 26, 2021, 09:07:52 PM »

Like?  (You don't have to answer if you don't want, just curious)

Not a fan of them not announcing the actual start times of the concerts.  "In the afternoon" is a bit too vague.  I am not keen on spending money on this and then finding out that the concert is so early that it will feel like a race to make it to the Friday show on time (4 1/2 hour drive one way with no stops), and what is they decide to it at 1 or 2 pm?  The idea of an afternoon concert seems very deflating in general (for any concert that is not part of a festival), although I get why they are doing it this way, so they can stream it in the evening.  Hope that is not a trend that continues, once things get back to normal in 2022 (hopefully).  Not knowing what they are playing as well is a hair in the soup as well (I would have felt let down last year had I paid all of that money to go and gotten that covers shows and the night 2 of just the Thoughts trilogy and Sola Gratia).  Maybe I am just being a poor sport, but just too many unknowns at the moment, and I totally understand that planning this on their end cannot be easy, so I am sympathetic.  It just doesn't feel like something I want to pay big bucks for at the moment.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #5222 on: March 26, 2021, 09:23:32 PM »
I'm excited not knowing what's coming. First Morsefest with no known agenda. Although I totally get your point and also would have been disappointed if I had gone to last years show. MPG covers aren't really my thing and I am not too keen on neither the Thoughts Trilogy nor Sola Gratia. But I gotta think this year will be all NMB music (along with possible solo stuff). Who knows? But I havent seen a concert since October last year at a drive in. I'll just be excited to see live music.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5223 on: March 27, 2021, 08:06:41 AM »
Naturally, tickets were on sale for Morsefest a few minutes ago (my brother is trying to buy his) and nothing is showing up on the Radiant site to buy. Radiant strikes again. :lol :lol

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5224 on: March 27, 2021, 08:16:12 AM »
Naturally, tickets were on sale for Morsefest a few minutes ago (my brother is trying to buy his) and nothing is showing up on the Radiant site to buy. Radiant strikes again. :lol :lol

I see all in there.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5225 on: March 27, 2021, 08:31:41 AM »
Yep, it looks like it eventually worked.  Radiant eventually figures it out. :lol :P

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5226 on: March 27, 2021, 06:07:56 PM »
Yep, it looks like it eventually worked.  Radiant eventually figures it out. :lol :P

hahaha  :rollin

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #5227 on: March 27, 2021, 08:13:17 PM »
Taking the plunge for the virtual Morsefest this year, just bought my ticket.  Last year it was $100 I think, and that felt pretty steep to me for an online concert.  $60 was much more convincible.  I guess since I likely won't be going to any other concerts this year I can't really go wrong.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5228 on: April 02, 2021, 09:12:36 AM »
The newest episode of Musicians having coffee and talking about stuff features Dave Meros:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3hOrlvo9hs&ab_channel=NealMorse

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Towards the end, Neal and Dave get really emotional talking about the height of their career and Neal's departure. There is also a hilarious story about how Dave thought he was absolutely terrible at his audition for Spock's Beard.  :lol

I cannot recommend this podcast enough. Please go for it.  :tup

Offline HOF

« Reply #5229 on: April 02, 2021, 09:50:15 AM »
The newest episode of Musicians having coffee and talking about stuff features Dave Meros:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3hOrlvo9hs&ab_channel=NealMorse

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Towards the end, Neal and Dave get really emotional talking about the height of their career and Neal's departure. There is also a hilarious story about how Dave thought he was absolutely terrible at his audition for Spock's Beard.  :lol

I cannot recommend this podcast enough. Please go for it.  :tup

I shared this in the Spock's Beard thread yesterday as well. It really is a great listen/watch, and I second the recommendation to watch it.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5230 on: April 04, 2021, 08:28:15 AM »
You know, other than taking a while to ship product, I didn't really have all that negative of an experience dealing with Radiant.

It is, however, unfortunate to see that so many of Neal's work is missing from his store, and elsewhere. Snow is just out of print everywhere, as is Testimony. I think V is as well, and some of the other earlier solo albums are becoming hard to come by or are way overpriced due to limited copies still available, especially special editions. The Neal era Spock's albums seem to be disappearing. Thankfully I've collected all of Neal's albums at this point, but I see this happening to many albums by many bands, big and small.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5231 on: April 04, 2021, 09:07:51 AM »

It is, however, unfortunate to see that so many of Neal's work is missing from his store, and elsewhere. Snow is just out of print everywhere, as is Testimony. I think V is as well, and some of the other earlier solo albums are becoming hard to come by or are way overpriced due to limited copies still available, especially special editions. The Neal era Spock's albums seem to be disappearing. Thankfully I've collected all of Neal's albums at this point, but I see this happening to many albums by many bands, big and small.

That is unfortunate for sure, but as less and less people buy physical CD's, I can't see how it would be cost effective for record companies to produce them, especially for fringe artists like Neal, so it becomes a "once we run out of what physical CD's are still left over, no point in making any new ones" situation.  With vinyl having a resurgence, I think it would be neat if all new vinyl purchases included a CD version of the album as well as a download link for the digital files, but I wouldn't count on that becoming an every album kind of thing.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5232 on: April 04, 2021, 09:23:09 AM »

That is unfortunate for sure, but as less and less people buy physical CD's, I can't see how it would be cost effective for record companies to produce them, especially for fringe artists like Neal, so it becomes a "once we run out of what physical CD's are still left over, no point in making any new ones" situation.  With vinyl having a resurgence, I think it would be neat if all new vinyl purchases included a CD version of the album as well as a download link for the digital files, but I wouldn't count on that becoming an every album kind of thing.

Even new albums go out of print less than a year after they're released if not sooner. If I'm not mistaken, this is how it was back in the 60s, 70s, and early 80s, but this time, it's because only so many copies are made, unless you're the big super star of the month, not because of copies flying off the shelves in the hundreds of thousands, or millions.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #5233 on: April 05, 2021, 06:40:02 AM »
I just got lucky and found Snow packaged in with Feel Euphoria and SB for $40 on ebay. I had no idea they are getting so expensive, so I'm going to go ahead and rush collecting them.

Offline HOF

« Reply #5234 on: April 05, 2021, 07:21:05 AM »

Even new albums go out of print less than a year after they're released if not sooner. If I'm not mistaken, this is how it was back in the 60s, 70s, and early 80s, but this time, it's because only so many copies are made, unless you're the big super star of the month, not because of copies flying off the shelves in the hundreds of thousands, or millions.

I imagine at some point these will get the box set treatment like The Flower Kings and Enchant (and others) have done recently where all the CDs are available in one box (but just in the cardboard slip packaging without the full artwork and liners). But it is unfortunate that it’s hard to get the individual CDs. I recently picked up Day for Night again on Discogs because my original copy had a bad skip in it (right during the ending of My Shoes Revisited!)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5235 on: April 05, 2021, 10:38:35 AM »
Not sure if the SB releases will ever get repackaged. The first few releases were through Metal Blade and they are known for not reissuing (specially if they are not financially feasible, like a SB band). In order for I/O (or the band) to release the boxset, they would have to buy the rights fro Metal Blade (assuming they still own them, SB or Neal might own the rights as well...will depend on the contract).

AFM bought all the rights for the Evergrey releases (which the 1st ones where from Inside Out) and they remastered them and released them both physically and digitally. But Inside Out never did a boxset for Evergrey.

I don't expect any boxset for anniversary treatment from Spocks' Beard anytime soon. It's tough on the financial side from either the band or a record label to make money out of a SP boxset.

Offline HOF

« Reply #5236 on: April 05, 2021, 11:05:06 AM »
Not sure if the SB releases will ever get repackaged. The first few releases were through Metal Blade and they are known for not reissuing (specially if they are not financially feasible, like a SB band). In order for I/O (or the band) to release the boxset, they would have to buy the rights fro Metal Blade (assuming they still own them, SB or Neal might own the rights as well...will depend on the contract).

AFM bought all the rights for the Evergrey releases (which the 1st ones where from Inside Out) and they remastered them and released them both physically and digitally. But Inside Out never did a boxset for Evergrey.

I don't expect any boxset for anniversary treatment from Spocks' Beard anytime soon. It's tough on the financial side from either the band or a record label to make money out of a SP boxset.

Didn’t Inside Out release all of the early albums remastered with bonus tracks?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5237 on: April 05, 2021, 11:08:11 AM »

Didn’t Inside Out release all of the early albums remastered with bonus tracks?
]
I know Snow was at some point and Beware of Darkness. Don't know about the rest.

Beware of Darkness is available at LaserCD (Inside Out reissue)
https://www.lasercd.com/search_results?fulltext=spock%27s%20beard

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5238 on: April 05, 2021, 12:28:57 PM »
The first 3 Neal-era SB albums had a slipcover/O-card re-release/digital remaster through Metal Blade, and each came with bonus tracks. They came out in 2004, and then in 2007, they re-released DFN, V, and Snow with slipcovers and bonus tracks as well.

Inside Out had a digipak release of V in Europe, and it came with a multimedia track. Snow had a mediabook and a a 3-disc box set from IO Europe as well.

These are just what I have in my own collection, but I've always been under the impression that the Neal-era albums were shared releases with Metal Blade and IO Europe. After Snow, all my SB albums have come from Inside Out (except X and BNADS).

As for a box set, I think if they do it it'll be 2 full sets - a 7 or 8 disc Neal set with the first 6 albums, and maybe a bonus disc of demos and B-sides; and a Nick and Ted era box set of 7 or 8 discs as well. But I have no idea if they'd be able to re-release the Neal stuff again. They did for certain tracks for The First Twenty Years compilation, so maybe they can do whole albums?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #5239 on: April 05, 2021, 05:24:17 PM »
So Neal became a grandpa today. Nick D’Virgilio became one a couple weeks ago. Time marching on!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5240 on: April 05, 2021, 07:34:39 PM »
So Neal became a grandpa today. Nick D’Virgilio became one a couple weeks ago. Time marching on!

Saw that on Twitter earlier, about Neal. Yay for him and his family, and of course, NDV and his family as well!  :tup :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5241 on: April 16, 2021, 07:36:22 PM »
Because I follow Neal on Twitter, I saw that Portnoy tweeted the following (Neal retweeted it):

Mike Portnoy
@MikePortnoy
·
Apr 14
I know this is officially LTE release week & want to stay focused on that, but I have to share that we literally just signed off today on the final masters of NMB4...and it’s another really special album! More info coming soon...

Hell yeah. Bring on the next album!!  :coolio :coolio

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5242 on: April 16, 2021, 07:47:51 PM »
New JP solo album in 15 years, followed by new TA, new LTE, new TNMB, new TFK after one just came out, and eventually new DT, all in the span of a year.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5243 on: April 16, 2021, 09:56:09 PM »
New JP solo album in 15 years, followed by new TA, new LTE, new TNMB, new TFK after one just came out, and eventually new DT, all in the span of a year.

Cue the Jumanji "WHAT YEAR IS IT?" meme. Also, don't forget Arjen Lucassen is working on a new Star One album, which only comes once a decade it seems. All of that plus a new Big Big Train, 2021 is shaping up to be a big contender against 2020.

Alright - so what predictions do we all have about NMB4? My guesses - single album, not a narrative concept album (but the songs might have a loose theme), there will be a new side-length epic (22-25 minutes). No bonus disc or bonus songs, but we will also get a Making Of DVD, plus a couple music videos of them tracking the songs or overdubbing in their own studios (like most videos have been over the last year). Since Morsefest will feature the new album, I assume we will get a late September release.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5244 on: April 17, 2021, 08:03:51 AM »
Can't remember where I saw it, but Randy George supposedly said this album will be different, so fans should prepare themselves.  I am not expecting some radical departure, but would be cool to hear a different type of album structure and whatnot.  I'd love to see Neal, Eric and Bill take on more of an equal parts deal when it comes to lead vocals, which wouldn't surprise me given that Neal's voice is getting older and starting to sound a bit weary at times.  Less lead vocals would help him when it comes to the eventual touring.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5245 on: April 17, 2021, 08:08:51 AM »
*Neal Morse fans and haters put on new Neal Morse Band album claimed to be different*

---

30 seconds later:

Everyone: "This sounds like every Neal Morse album!"

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5246 on: April 17, 2021, 08:10:03 AM »
By the way, I'm thinking about listening through a bunch of albums I haven't listened to in a bit, inspired by the new TA and LTE albums, and I thought I'd get DTF in on it.

Basically, I'll do a "duel" discography thread: a Mike Portnoy discography thread that merges with a Neal Morse discography thread. So no post-Neal Spock's Beard, or post-Portnoy Dream Theater. Also not trying to go through every album Portnoy has ever played on, just sticking to Dream Theater related studio albums and Neal Morse related studio material, and only prog-related albums for Neal.

Chronologically going back and forth (based on release date) between:

* Dream Theater's first 3 albums
* 1990s DT, Liquid Tension Experiment, Neal era Spock's Beard + his first solo album
* 2000s DT, Neal solo, and Transatlantic
* 2010s NM solo, The Neal Morse Band, Flying Colors
* 2020s Transatlantic, Terminal Velocity, and LTE3

Who's down?

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=41524.msg2766417#msg2766417

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5247 on: April 17, 2021, 08:12:01 AM »
*Neal Morse fans and haters put on new Neal Morse Band album claimed to be different*

---

30 seconds later:

Haha, exactly.  However, once Neal starts singing in his distinctive tone and the lyrics are of a, shall we say, spiritual nature, it's hard to get past that and think, "This is different."   

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5248 on: April 17, 2021, 08:18:24 AM »

---

30 seconds later:

Haha, exactly.  However, once Neal starts singing in his distinctive tone and the lyrics are of a, shall we say, spiritual nature, it's hard to get past that and think, "This is different."

I've always wanted to hear a Neal Morse solo album where Roine Stolt handles all lead vocal duties, or a Roine Stolt solo album where Neal handles all lead vocals. But I guess that is what Transatlantic is for.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #5249 on: April 17, 2021, 10:57:55 AM »
Can't remember where I saw it, but Randy George supposedly said this album will be different, so fans should prepare themselves.  I am not expecting some radical departure, but would be cool to hear a different type of album structure and whatnot.  I'd love to see Neal, Eric and Bill take on more of an equal parts deal when it comes to lead vocals, which wouldn't surprise me given that Neal's voice is getting older and starting to sound a bit weary at times.  Less lead vocals would help him when it comes to the eventual touring.

They said something similar about The Grand Experiment.
And then they named the album The Grand Experiment.
But the album actually wasn't that grand of an experiment.
It was a typical Morse album with some different singers sometimes singing. And I was and still am completely fine with that!!
any rock can be made to roll