Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 548802 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #5145 on: February 13, 2021, 08:31:11 PM »
Momentum has aged well with me. It's a short album by Neal's standards, and is something I can throw on when I don't want to commit a whole lot of time to Neal but can still get the full album listen satisfaction. I usually just want to listen to Momentum the song and/or Thoughts pt 5 then before you know it World Without End has started up. I feel like I've been sleeping on this epic. This one peels itself back slowly.

Only a Neal Morse album that ends with a 34-minute epic could be described as a "short album" by his standards. :lol :P

World Without End is definitely killer, but it's so long that it's become one of those songs I only get to once or twice a year now.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5146 on: February 13, 2021, 08:37:40 PM »
Momentum has aged well with me. It's a short album by Neal's standards, and is something I can throw on when I don't want to commit a whole lot of time to Neal but can still get the full album listen satisfaction. I usually just want to listen to Momentum the song and/or Thoughts pt 5 then before you know it World Without End has started up. I feel like I've been sleeping on this epic. This one peels itself back slowly.

Only a Neal Morse album that ends with a 34-minute epic could be described as a "short album" by his standards. :lol :P

World Without End is definitely killer, but it's so long that it's become one of those songs I only get to once or twice a year now.

World Without End is longer than the rest of the album put together, that's why it feels short, only 25 minutes into the album we're on the last track, but then there's still a half hour+ of music to go.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5147 on: February 13, 2021, 08:42:37 PM »

World Without End is longer than the rest of the album put together, that's why it feels short, only 25 minutes into the album we're on the last track, but then there's still a half hour+ of music to go.

Very true. And that's probably why I don't get to it often cause in my head, I think that World Without End is soooo long, and only Thoughts Part 5 (from Side 1, if we can call it that) is a song I would call myself a big fan of from the rest, so it can be tough to make myself listen to a Neal album with that many "take it or leave it" songs AND a super long epic when he has so many other albums that I find far more rewarding.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5148 on: February 13, 2021, 08:46:55 PM »
Thoughts Pt 5 really is a great song. Love that middle instrumental section and outro.

Offline 425

« Reply #5149 on: February 14, 2021, 09:22:11 AM »
I really like Momentum, and probably would have it higher in a NM ranking than most. I have a real fondness for all the songs. Thoughts Part 5 might actually be the one that stands out least to me, although that's probably just because of the (intended) resemblances to the previous Thoughts songs. Weathering Sky is my favorite stand-alone rocker of Neal's solo career, and I think Smoke and Mirrors and Freak are both distinctive ballads with really nice melodies.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #5150 on: February 14, 2021, 09:33:05 AM »
Momentum's a choppy Album for me.  I like the Title Track, Thoughts Pt. 5 and freak.  not much else.

the big epic World without end i'm not fond of much.  just seems like a re-write of So Many Roads.....almost point for point.  at 33 minutes.....it seems needlessly long even for Neal. and i actually really like So many Roads.  Especially the european band's version.

BUT......i loved the live album we got from this.  that was actually a pretty great set list.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5151 on: February 14, 2021, 09:45:13 AM »
I cannot restrain myself from expressing my love towards World without end. No wonder it's so long. How can you not make your best song your longest song?  ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5152 on: February 14, 2021, 10:30:29 AM »
Momentum and Weathering Sky are both fun little rockers, but ones I never have the urge to hear.  I do like Freak and Smoke and Mirrors both quite a bit, but neither is a favorite.  To clarify, Momentum is a very good album, one I like a lot.  It's just that Neal has so many prog albums to choose from already that it is hard for that one to works its way into the rotation, especially since I prefer most of them to Momentum.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #5153 on: February 14, 2021, 10:52:38 AM »
Momentum and Weathering Sky are both fun little rockers, but ones I never have the urge to hear.  I do like Freak and Smoke and Mirrors both quite a bit, but neither is a favorite.  To clarify, Momentum is a very good album, one I like a lot.  It's just that Neal has so many prog albums to choose from already that it is hard for that one to works its way into the rotation, especially since I prefer most of them to Momentum.

this is true.  If i want A Neal fix i will grab like ? sola Scriptura, Similitude, Testimony 2.....even Sola Gratia (which i to this day i find underrated) over Momentum.

Momentum isn't bad but it's a bit devoid of any standout track.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5154 on: February 15, 2021, 03:03:34 PM »
I've never been able to get into Momentum, and World Without End does practically nothing for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #5155 on: February 16, 2021, 01:04:40 PM »
I got my copy of Similitude of a Dream yesterday. Very good album.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5156 on: February 16, 2021, 02:00:02 PM »
I've never been able to get into Momentum, and World Without End does practically nothing for me.

+1

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5157 on: February 16, 2021, 04:12:40 PM »

+1

That's how I felt about Momentum for a long time.

I'm not even saying it's the best album ever or an essential album, but it's pretty solid if you like Neal's stuff. I put it above Lifeline, Sola Gratia, and his first two solo albums.

Now this album. Only thing I'm not as into are Eric's vocals, but they're tolerable, just like Portnoy's.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #5158 on: February 16, 2021, 05:37:13 PM »

+1

That's how I felt about Momentum for a long time.

I'm not even saying it's the best album ever or an essential album, but it's pretty solid if you like Neal's stuff. I put it above Lifeline, Sola Gratia, and his first two solo albums.

Now this album. Only thing I'm not as into are Eric's vocals, but they're tolerable, just like Portnoy's.
Interesting - I love Eric's vocals. And Bill's as well, as unique as they are.

Eric's vocals at first I was kind of neutral on, but over time they have really grown on me. He puts emotion into them often enough that I look forward to his sections.

Offline 425

« Reply #5159 on: February 16, 2021, 09:18:40 PM »
Eric's voice took a while to grow on me, too. I think it was really on The Great Adventure where I came to like it a lot, and then I went back and enjoyed his singing more on the previous albums. He has so many great parts on TGA: I Got to Run, Hey Ho Let's Go, The Great Despair, and of course Neal even let him have the big conclusion on A Love That Never Dies.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5160 on: February 17, 2021, 01:43:14 PM »
I think bringing in some new talent, especially in the vocal department but also on the guitar, was a very savvy move by Neal.  Eric is an incredibly talented dude and so is Bill and they both add an entirely new dimension to Neal's music that definitely improves the end product substantially.  Being 100% honest I was kind of hoping he'd focus all his energy on NMB and give his solo stuff a rest for a while.  I think the albums he's done with Eric and Bill are his best output in 20+ years.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5161 on: February 18, 2021, 08:37:18 AM »
Stadler, check this out for your daughter:

FROM NEAL MORSE:

"Hi everyone!

It’s not too late to sign up for my Virtual Masterclass, which kicks off at 11AM CST this Saturday, Feb. 20th. In this session, I’m going to be coming to you live from my studio and we will be looking at songwriting and initial inspiration. Not only will I tell you how I get my ideas and inspirations into shape, but I will be writing a song before your eyes… and I want to interact with you to get some suggestions while I’m doing that!

The course continues on the following two Saturdays (Feb. 27 & Mar. 6) and the sessions will be available for download for those who attend. You can buy a ticket for the first session, or get a 20% discount for buying tickets for all three.

Sound like fun? Who’s in?!"

1. Songwriting and Initial Inspiration - The First Level

2. Completing and Recording - The Demo Level

3. Making Records - Bringing It to the Next Level

Three sessions: Feb. 20, Feb. 27, Mar. 6 at 11:00 AM CST. All will be on Zoom and recorded to be watched later by the participants.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5162 on: February 18, 2021, 09:14:19 AM »
Thank you!   Good head's up!     

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5163 on: February 18, 2021, 11:23:01 AM »
I think bringing in some new talent, especially in the vocal department but also on the guitar, was a very savvy move by Neal.  Eric is an incredibly talented dude and so is Bill and they both add an entirely new dimension to Neal's music that definitely improves the end product substantially.  Being 100% honest I was kind of hoping he'd focus all his energy on NMB and give his solo stuff a rest for a while.  I think the albums he's done with Eric and Bill are his best output in 20+ years.

I agree. And I think the contrast between the vocals of the band is great. Particulary  Eric has a very nice sound/tone to his vocals.

Still, the output of TNMB is more than enough, they have released three albums in like five years, two of which are doubles. And a testament to their talent that Simultude and Adventure are as great as they are.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #5164 on: February 18, 2021, 11:30:01 AM »

I thought I was the only human being who didn't like his vocals. Everyone seems to love this guy.

In fact, I'm definitely not a fan of Eric Gillette.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #5165 on: February 18, 2021, 01:55:43 PM »

I agree. And I think the contrast between the vocals of the band is great. Particulary  Eric has a very nice sound/tone to his vocals.

Still, the output of TNMB is more than enough, they have released three albums in like five years, two of which are doubles. And a testament to their talent that Simultude and Adventure are as great as they are.

I gotta agree - the introduction of Eric and Bill was a big leap for Neal in terms of diversifying his musical palette. I remember hearing TGE for the first time and beind blown away by the opening a capella vocal of "The Call", and pretty much every song on there was so refreshing for Neal (yes, even "Agenda"). I did not expect that they would do two double albums following that, but for the most part, they are as good as anything Neal had done by himself in the past, but with Eric's and Bill's input, vocal and instrumental performances, they really help them stand out among Neal's other long, conceptual works (like Snow and Testimony).

As a change-up, I hope the new album is back to a collection of separate songs like TGE and Momentum, with a big epic. I think "Alive Again" was the last epic that Neal had released, and that was in 2015, right? It's been six years, which may be the longest time between any of his typical epic tracks dating all the way back to the SB days. If you count the longest songs on One as epics, they bridge the gap between "The Great Nothing" and the songs on Sola Scriptura, but since then, Neal had done one big epic per album - "So Many Roads", "Seeds Of Gold", "World Without End", "Alive Again", and "Falling For Forever" (for Spock's Beard). I think it's about time that Neal penned a new epic!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #5166 on: February 19, 2021, 02:33:39 AM »

I thought I was the only human being who didn't like his vocals. Everyone seems to love this guy.

Because?

I think one doesn't have to "like" his voice to acknowledge that he definitely can sing. And he's one hell of a guitar player.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5167 on: February 19, 2021, 07:59:48 AM »
Eric is very very good.  I think some of the "worship" (pun intended) goes a little above board, but he's very good.  "Alive Again" is one of my favorite Neal songs, and in large part because of the beautiful way the three (main) vocalists intertwine their parts.

I'd say that my top three Neal songs are all from the NMB era. 

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #5168 on: February 19, 2021, 08:38:41 AM »

Because?

I think one doesn't have to "like" his voice to acknowledge that he definitely can sing. And he's one hell of a guitar player.

Yes, it is not a technical issue, it is a matter of timbre. I find the timbre of his voice very annoying.
But I like Bill's vocals.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5169 on: February 19, 2021, 09:24:47 AM »

Because?

Yes, it is not a technical issue, it is a matter of timbre. I find the timbre of his voice very annoying.
But I like Bill's vocals.

I like Eric's vocals, but can't stand Bill's :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5170 on: February 19, 2021, 06:20:49 PM »
Bill has the classic "great to do the occasional lead vocal, but you wouldn't want him singing him every song" voice.  That said, the juice he and Eric have brought to the NMB is immense.  Neal has proven that he can write great albums more often than not on his own, but let him collaborate with other songwriters, whether it be Roine and Pete in TA, or Eric and Bill in NMB, or the guys in Flying Colors, and the magic is pretty damn consistent.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5171 on: February 19, 2021, 06:22:36 PM »
Bill is NMB's Pete Trewavas (vocals-wise) :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #5172 on: February 19, 2021, 10:39:31 PM »
Bill is NMB's Pete Trewavas (vocals-wise) :lol

He is a far better singer than Pete in my opinion. He can also hit high notes but at times those notes sound forced, so I think maybe he should mostly stick to the lower register of his voice, which has a nice Peter Gabriel timbre!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5173 on: February 20, 2021, 03:50:54 AM »
I think Neal figured out Bill can hit high notes, so he immediately goes to him when there is a section that requires higher vocals. In an interview on a cruise, Bill mentioned he realized there were too many high sections on the last album when it came time to rehearse it for live performances.  ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5174 on: February 20, 2021, 06:37:49 AM »
I don't get the indifference to Bill's voice; I like the reference to Peter Gabriel and I like what he brings to the mix.   In my humble opinion, and as much as I like him otherwise, Pete isn't in Bill's league. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5175 on: February 20, 2021, 06:38:59 AM »
By the way, anyone doing the songwriting seminar later today?   Any idea when/where you get the Zoom link?   I'm all paid up (as is my daughter) but I don't know what to do next, and she keeps asking me.  I can only look so stupid for so long!   :) :) :) :)

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5176 on: February 20, 2021, 08:22:33 AM »
By the way, anyone doing the songwriting seminar later today?   Any idea when/where you get the Zoom link?   I'm all paid up (as is my daughter) but I don't know what to do next, and she keeps asking me.  I can only look so stupid for so long!   :) :) :) :)

I asked for you at the NM forum, let's see.

Does the email purchase says anything?

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5177 on: February 20, 2021, 08:29:08 AM »

Someone posted this as an answer:

You should get the meeting room codes 30-60 minutes before the masterclass

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5178 on: February 20, 2021, 08:59:21 AM »

Someone posted this as an answer:

You should get the meeting room codes 30-60 minutes before the masterclass

THANK YOU.  You're a life-saver.   (The email didn't say anything, by the way).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5179 on: February 20, 2021, 05:53:00 PM »
MinistroRaven, thanks again!    I attended today, as did my daughter, and while it's not as if I'm about to write The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway right now, my daughter (who is not really a hardcore fan) got a LOT out of it.

(I thought this was funny:   At one time she texted me, "who is Jon Anderson that he keeps mentioning?" and I said, "The singer from Yes".  She says "wait, Yes is a really big band.  How does he know HIM?"   Then later, Neal was saying how it's important to listen to different things for inspiration, and he noted how he really liked Taylor Swift's new record; and my daughter, a huge T-Swiftie, texted "I LOVE TAYLOR SWIFT!  TELL HIM THAT!"   I didn't. :))