Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 548799 times)

Online HOF

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #5110 on: January 26, 2021, 11:37:02 AM »
A bit off topic, but cool one-man cover of Journey’s Separate Ways here by Eric Gillette:

https://twitter.com/ericgillette/status/1354131332885078016?s=21

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5111 on: January 26, 2021, 12:29:40 PM »
Outstanding!  Eric is such a talented musician that it is almost not fair.  I went into it fully confident that he would nail it.  But it exceeded my expectations with some of the little extras he put into it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5112 on: January 26, 2021, 01:02:08 PM »
Look, I'm a fan of Eric, and I love what he brings to TNMB.   No question, and I was thrilled to sit right in front of him during the Similitude show, and he delivered.  But I considered him a guitar player, and while I like his singing, I was never sure if he was a really good singer, or he just had the right timbre to sound good next to Neal and Bill.     

He NAILED this.   Holy crap; that's not an easy song to sing, and he got right to it.  I even like the little bits he took from Steve Perry (the "in vain!" part at the end of the second verse, and the "true love won't desert you" from the outro).   

That was really, REALLY good.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5113 on: January 26, 2021, 02:34:32 PM »
Holy crap, that was awesome.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5114 on: January 26, 2021, 02:51:04 PM »
Yeah, I'm a big fan of Eric's. Love his Youtube channel. He has some cool stuff on there. I like how he will provide a guitar or keyboard solo to bands who are making CDs...I'm sure he's paid for it but it's cool that if you have a couple extra bucks you can get someone of his talent level to supply a good solo.

He also did 'Immigrant Song'    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcCaVJr7dXU

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5115 on: January 26, 2021, 03:02:31 PM »
Also, much like the guys in DT, he's really, really short.

He's a super nice guy.  Met him at RoSFest a couple of years ago.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5116 on: January 26, 2021, 03:24:15 PM »
Nice covers by Eric! I used to work with a guy who played bass, worshipped LZ & John Paul Jones, and always said what a nightmare it was to get the bass line in Immigrant Song right.  Too bad I have no clue what happened to him or else I'd send him that video. :lol :lol

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #5117 on: January 27, 2021, 09:20:27 AM »
I haven't noticed he did these covers. He is just an insane musician!

Someone commented under the Immigrant Song video that he should do an album with Martin Miller - I think that would be an absolute shredfest  :lol Although both are also VERY good singers, so who knows how this collaboration would sound...
any rock can be made to roll

Online The Letter M

« Reply #5118 on: January 27, 2021, 09:31:59 AM »
Apparently Neal's next podcast interview will be with none other than prog legend Jon Anderson!! It'll be on Waterfall on February 1st, then elsewhere/YouTube on the 3rd.

https://twitter.com/nealmorse/status/1354444180613976070?s=19

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #5119 on: January 27, 2021, 10:08:37 AM »
I've been having a sort of a Neal Morse revival in my life during these past couple of months. I kinda stopped caring a bit about his output, because although very good as it usually is it all started sounding very same-y to me. "Oh, another overture. Oh, another string section piece followed by diminished-sounding scales. Oh, the same fill Portnoy has been playing for 15 years over and over again". Similitude and Adventure both feel very long to me, and I would've loved if they took the best out of those two albums and blended them into one. There's a lot of pieces in there that don't do much for me (but that being said, they both have really incredible moments. Eric's voice is incredible and suits the Morse style like a glove).

That being said, I'm slowly drifting back into his musical arms. Testimony 2 is SO GOOD. Even Testimony 1, which has not been by any means my favorite, is growing on me. The Door is one of my favorite songs of all time and I just fell in love with it again. The thing about NM is that he has put out so much music in the same style/genre that it's really difficult to measure in a quality scale because it's all very...consistent (for the lack of a better word). Such consistency plays against him from time to time, in my opinion, as he ends up putting albums that are sonically, musically and thematically very similar. But man, when he strikes on the right place, he strikes like no other. Such a talented composer. I just wish sometimes that he could be more adventurous in his sound (maybe he could go on a Great Adventure :neverusethis: ), his compositional approach and the musicians he works with. I know Portnoy and him are inseparable but I would love to hear him do something entirely different with an entirely different cast of musicians (preferably not from the progressive rock world).
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline DTA

« Reply #5120 on: January 27, 2021, 11:47:09 AM »
Can someone break a tie in the Neal Morse survivor for Momentum in the Poll section?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5121 on: January 27, 2021, 11:51:32 AM »
I've been having a sort of a Neal Morse revival in my life during these past couple of months. I kinda stopped caring a bit about his output, because although very good as it usually is it all started sounding very same-y to me. "Oh, another overture. Oh, another string section piece followed by diminished-sounding scales. Oh, the same fill Portnoy has been playing for 15 years over and over again". Similitude and Adventure both feel very long to me, and I would've loved if they took the best out of those two albums and blended them into one. There's a lot of pieces in there that don't do much for me (but that being said, they both have really incredible moments. Eric's voice is incredible and suits the Morse style like a glove).

That being said, I'm slowly drifting back into his musical arms. Testimony 2 is SO GOOD. Even Testimony 1, which has not been by any means my favorite, is growing on me. The Door is one of my favorite songs of all time and I just fell in love with it again. The thing about NM is that he has put out so much music in the same style/genre that it's really difficult to measure in a quality scale because it's all very...consistent (for the lack of a better word). Such consistency plays against him from time to time, in my opinion, as he ends up putting albums that are sonically, musically and thematically very similar. But man, when he strikes on the right place, he strikes like no other. Such a talented composer. I just wish sometimes that he could be more adventurous in his sound (maybe he could go on a Great Adventure :neverusethis: ), his compositional approach and the musicians he works with. I know Portnoy and him are inseparable but I would love to hear him do something entirely different with an entirely different cast of musicians (preferably not from the progressive rock world).

I agree with the bolded.  I don't necessarily need him to strike out in more adventurous ways; that consistency works in his favor, since there's so much to dig into.  I have all the (prog) solo albums since Testimony, and while they are familiar when I listen, I don't know them well enough to say, sing you "Cradle To The Grave".  But every once in a while, something will stick; a couple months ago it was Alive Again.  I must've heard it a number of times but it never really differentiated itself, then it clicked and now it's one of my favorites of his work (probably top epic or second to Seeds Of Gold).   Such a rich catalogue.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5122 on: January 27, 2021, 01:57:38 PM »
Damn, that Eric Gillette is one hell of a musician.  I wasn't aware that he played drums. 

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #5123 on: January 27, 2021, 02:05:54 PM »
Damn, I struggle to play even one instrument decently and guys like this Eric Gilette can play everything and can even sing. I hate those guys ....

... not, I'm just jealous.  :D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #5124 on: January 27, 2021, 02:06:59 PM »
I could play that song on drums guitar and bass, no problem, but you do NOT want to hear me sing  :rollin

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5125 on: January 27, 2021, 02:44:28 PM »
I forget which Morsefest it was or maybe it was Alive Again concert or maybe both, the section in some song when they all switch instruments and Eric plays the drums is great to watch, his playing is fun and still on point and not look like he's flailing all over the place.

Eric was so chill at the meet and greet during the adventour gig. He's insanely talented and even really good looking too!

Is that ink on his left forearm new? Don't think I remember seeing that before.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5126 on: January 27, 2021, 03:12:13 PM »
Don't forget The Exorcist album, too, where Eric plays the drums on the whole thing.  And I was there at Morsefest '18 to see it performed in full with Eric on the drums. :metal

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5127 on: January 27, 2021, 05:23:04 PM »
Neal Morse has a whole discography outside of his prog rock work, much of which I've never heard, so while I understand the argument within the confines of the progressive rock music that he doesn't venture out too much, his catalog IS diverse, or at least he does other things, like his non-prog solo albums, his worship albums, and Flying Colors is different enough. I'm not sure we should expect a 60 year old symphonic rock composer/singer-songwriter who loves '60s pop music to start venturing off into progressive world-ethno-jazz-fusion-death metal classical music, but I understand wanting Neal to bring new flavors into his prog music. I think that is what the Neal Morse Band is about, that is Neal branching out a bit. Also, there's no separating Neal from Mike (and Randy) they are all great friends it seems; but look at it from a business standpoint, I assume that Neal's prog albums with Mike Portnoy probably sell a lot more than his albums without Mike Portnoy. Besides, between SB, TA, NM, NMB, and Flying Colors to a small extent, you know what you're getting with Neal Morse, but each project has it's own feel. I also lost interest in the Neal Morse, Roine Stolt, style of prog rock a while back, but I've made my way back and that happens with all music I like. I think Neal makes consistently great music as well, and when you're in the mood for it, it's pretty much all good. At this point, I say enjoy it while it lasts.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 05:28:17 PM by darkshade »

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5128 on: February 03, 2021, 07:50:30 AM »
FROM NEAL MORSE:

"Hey, fellow music lovers!

I don’t know about you, but I could use some music and interaction just about now. So, I’m gonna do some songwriting/recording/production/barista sessions and you are welcome to hang out for two of my favorite things: creating music and drinking coffee!

The three topics I’ve chosen for the three sessions are:

1. Songwriting and Initial Inspiration - The First Level

2. Completing and Recording - The Demo Level

3. Making Records - Bringing It to the Next Level

Each session will be 75-90 minutes long and will be interactive and spontaneous. I will be writing a song before your eyes and ears and you can give me your suggestions live in the moment. It will be watchable after the fact and at the very end we can hang out, have a special coffee, and discuss music and whatever else is on your mind. Sound like fun? Who's in?!"

Three sessions: Feb. 20, Feb. 27, Mar. 6 at 11:00 AM CST. All will be on Zoom and recorded to be watched later by the participants.

https://www.nealmorse.com/product/neal-morse-virtual-masterclass/

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5129 on: February 03, 2021, 08:01:57 AM »
I'm actually thinking about doing this, and I sent the link to my daughter, who is taking a songwriting class in college now.   This might give her a bit of perspective.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5130 on: February 05, 2021, 02:26:52 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O92pSG21iNI&ab_channel=NealMorse

The third episode of Musicians having coffe & talking about stuff features the one and only Jon Anderson. I loved it.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5131 on: February 05, 2021, 02:39:28 PM »
The Neal Morse Band discussing what's going on with the new album, and it seems that the next album is going to be the most "band" album as Neal confirmed he didn't come in with any preconceived material, and that the writing was dominated with Bill's ideas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5oCmZ0g7yY

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #5132 on: February 05, 2021, 02:47:52 PM »
I'm interested in checking out Neal Morse's music after listening to a lot of Transatlantic (specifically, Bridge Across Forever and The Whirlwind). What would be a good place to start with his discography?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5133 on: February 05, 2021, 03:13:31 PM »
I came to the Neal Morse party late; I started with Testimony and moved through chronologically, but Testimony followed by Testimony II (with bonus disk) would have been enough to hook me.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5134 on: February 05, 2021, 03:52:38 PM »
I think starting with Testimony can be a bit intimidating. Sola scriptura would be a good starting point if you like Bridge across forever.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5135 on: February 05, 2021, 04:17:16 PM »
I'm interested in checking out Neal Morse's music after listening to a lot of Transatlantic (specifically, Bridge Across Forever and The Whirlwind). What would be a good place to start with his discography?

? (Question Mark) - I think this is his best overall album, it's not overlong, flows very well, has a lot of rockin moments, and some of his most memorable melodies. Features Portnoy of course, but also Jordan Rudess, Roine Stolt, and Steve Hackett make appearances.
The Light - Spock's Beard's first album, Neal wrote all the music in SB and I think this is a great album and the title track is one of Neal's best.
Sola Scriptura - Spock's Dream Beard Theater, as I sometimes classify this album as. It doesn't sound like DT, but it has that DT flavor to it, also Neal's heaviest album.
V - Spock's Beard's 5th album. At The End of the Day is worth the price of admission alone.
The Similitude of a Dream - The Neal Morse Band's 2nd album, and a mammoth double album that is a wild ride all the way through and doesn't let up. Pairs well with the follow up, The Great Adventure (which is basically TSoaD pt 2)

Some will recommend One, and that is also a fantastic album. Honestly, I have something good to say about all his albums.
Testimony 2 is one of his best albums as well, but you need to/should listen to the first Testimony first, it's just a lot of music to start off with.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 04:22:44 PM by darkshade »

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #5136 on: February 06, 2021, 01:58:12 AM »

I usually recommend starting with an artist's first album and moving on chronologically, but Testimony is very Jesus-y. I think a very good starting point would be either of the following:

One
Question Mark
Sola Scriptura

Those are his best solo albums, and they showcase what Neal is all about in my opinion.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #5137 on: February 06, 2021, 02:36:20 AM »
I'd recommend Question Mark as a starting point for a less preachy but very spiritual prog album.
Testimony 2 for a full dose of Jesus (don't start with Testimony 1).
Sola Scriptura for his closest work to DT.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5138 on: February 06, 2021, 01:10:22 PM »
Solo material:

Sola Scriptura is really good, but I'd wait on that one.  Not only it is tough to get into an album that kicks off with back to back songs over 25 minutes, but I don't think the hooks in them are as immediate as ones found in many of his other long epics.

I'd start with One and ?, both of which are awesome and more easily digestible right away.

Spock's Beard:

All six Neal-era albums are really good (by and large), so you can't go wrong with any of them, really.  Day for Night has a few clunkers, and Snow is super long, so I might not start with either of those. 

Neal Morse Band:

The Similitude of a Dream is awesome sauce from start to finish.  A top 10 all-timer now, in my book. :coolio :coolio

Online HOF

« Reply #5139 on: February 06, 2021, 03:06:28 PM »
Solo material:

Sola Scriptura is really good, but I'd wait on that one.  Not only it is tough to get into an album that kicks off with back to back songs over 25 minutes, but I don't think the hooks in them are as immediate as ones found in many of his other long epics.

I'd start with One and ?, both of which are awesome and more easily digestible right away.

Spock's Beard:

All six Neal-era albums are really good (by and large), so you can't go wrong with any of them, really.  Day for Night has a few clunkers, and Snow is super long, so I might not start with either of those. 

Neal Morse Band:

The Similitude of a Dream is awesome sauce from start to finish.  A top 10 all-timer now, in my book. :coolio :coolio

For Spock’s Beard, V would be a great starting place. That was my introduction after having already heard the first two TA albums. Similar structure in terms of number and length of the songs.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5140 on: February 08, 2021, 05:45:58 PM »
Sola Scriptura is so awesome, I don't even notice the time passing while 2 half hour epics are happening back to back.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #5141 on: February 09, 2021, 12:06:30 AM »
Sola Scriptura is so awesome, I don't even notice the time passing while 2 half hour epics are happening back to back.

Agreed, I think it's awesome when Neal goes heavy. For the same reason I also love The Great Adventure. It's not AS heavy, but still more than most of his other stuff. His heavy music always gives me that "fuck yeah  :metal " moment.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5142 on: February 13, 2021, 08:10:53 PM »

Agreed, I think it's awesome when Neal goes heavy. For the same reason I also love The Great Adventure. It's not AS heavy, but still more than most of his other stuff. His heavy music always gives me that "fuck yeah  :metal " moment.

I'd like to see the next NMB album be a heavier album, I think Neal can get pretty heavy if he wants to, and with Eric it can happen.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5143 on: February 13, 2021, 08:22:34 PM »
Momentum has aged well with me. It's a short album by Neal's standards, and is something I can throw on when I don't want to commit a whole lot of time to Neal but can still get the full album listen satisfaction. I usually just want to listen to Momentum the song and/or Thoughts pt 5 then before you know it World Without End has started up. I feel like I've been sleeping on this epic. This one peels itself back slowly.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5144 on: February 13, 2021, 08:28:40 PM »

I'd like to see the next NMB album be a heavier album, I think Neal can get pretty heavy if he wants to, and with Eric it can happen.

I don't think I've ever described Neal's music as heavy, except for maybe the beginning of The Conflict, but he can rock pretty hard at times for sure.  I did like how The Great Adventure was darker tonally than the average Neal/NMB album.  Venture in Black, in particular, has really held up well as one of the best songs from that record, and I would describe that song as darker, without a doubt; great song to crank up when driving at night.