Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 545719 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #3325 on: January 10, 2019, 11:54:11 PM »
For others who haven't seen it, I just stumbled across an old video of Neal performing in an '80s cover band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FZJK67RXp8

Haha, that was hilarious to watch.  Neal randomly banging his arms away at the keys to the rhythm of She Drives Me Crazy made me LOL for real.

Had to laugh at that too :D

BUT, I am (still) in a huge CSNY phase right now, so I noticed they absolutely nailed the harmonies in Judy Blue Eyes!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline bill1971

« Reply #3326 on: January 11, 2019, 10:15:09 AM »
Nice review!  :tup I'm trying not to read too many reviews of the album as I want to dive into it fresh, but MAN, it's exciting to read that folks think it's equal to or better than Similitude, because TSOAD is as close to a perfect Neal album as one could get (still not my favorite album he's worked on ever, but it's high up there). In the coming week, I'll start putting TSOAD back into my listening rotation to get ready for TGA, especially if there are hints of lyrical and musical themes being shared between the two, it'll help me spot them easier!

-Marc.

Be careful with how your phrase or you could possible displease Mike Portnoy :facepalm:

I think Bosk1 wrote a great review, and he praised EVERYONE involved in the new album. Yet, Portnoy it’s not at all happy:

I am a little late to this, but this is typical MP. I remember how important it was for everyone to know how much he contributed to DT. I have no doubt he has ideas and has input but the writing is always done by others and I think he knows that. I was watching the making of The Whirlwind, which shows MP giving suggestions and saying this theme can repeat itself at the end or build but without people writing the music there would be nothing to work with. I wish MP would try to write an album on his own and maybe it would dawn on him how hard it is to write.  Anyhow, unlike SOA this does not tarnish me looking forward to the new album.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #3327 on: January 11, 2019, 11:17:13 PM »
Nice review!  :tup I'm trying not to read too many reviews of the album as I want to dive into it fresh, but MAN, it's exciting to read that folks think it's equal to or better than Similitude, because TSOAD is as close to a perfect Neal album as one could get (still not my favorite album he's worked on ever, but it's high up there). In the coming week, I'll start putting TSOAD back into my listening rotation to get ready for TGA, especially if there are hints of lyrical and musical themes being shared between the two, it'll help me spot them easier!

-Marc.

Be careful with how your phrase or you could possible displease Mike Portnoy :facepalm:

I think Bosk1 wrote a great review, and he praised EVERYONE involved in the new album. Yet, Portnoy it’s not at all happy:

I am a little late to this, but this is typical MP. I remember how important it was for everyone to know how much he contributed to DT. I have no doubt he has ideas and has input but the writing is always done by others and I think he knows that. I was watching the making of The Whirlwind, which shows MP giving suggestions and saying this theme can repeat itself at the end or build but without people writing the music there would be nothing to work with. I wish MP would try to write an album on his own and maybe it would dawn on him how hard it is to write.  Anyhow, unlike SOA this does not tarnish me looking forward to the new album.

:tdwn :censored :loser:

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3328 on: January 12, 2019, 02:04:42 AM »
Neal Morse started tracking keyboards for the new Flying Colors today!

Source: https://www.facebook.com/nealmorse/photos/a.421834371415/10157301802526416/?type=3&theater

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3329 on: January 12, 2019, 09:01:31 AM »
Neal Morse started tracking keyboards for the new Flying Colors today!

Source: https://www.facebook.com/nealmorse/photos/a.421834371415/10157301802526416/?type=3&theater

man I can't wait, for this.

Offline cglb321

« Reply #3330 on: January 14, 2019, 10:52:45 AM »
I'm contemplating not listening to the album before the show next month and taking it all in live. What do you guys think? I think it could be interesting since I already kinda know what to expect given that it's a NM album (which isn't a bad thing) and a sequel at that. Haven't seen them since the TGE tour and I'm excited to see how they've grown over the past few years!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3331 on: January 14, 2019, 05:41:34 PM »
I'm contemplating not listening to the album before the show next month and taking it all in live. What do you guys think? I think it could be interesting since I already kinda know what to expect given that it's a NM album (which isn't a bad thing) and a sequel at that. Haven't seen them since the TGE tour and I'm excited to see how they've grown over the past few years!

Go for it.

I'm not listening until it arrives in the mail.

Generally, I like to be familiar with what I'm going to hear live, but there have been times when I see a live show and the album has not been released yet and it does have its own rewards.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3332 on: January 14, 2019, 05:48:25 PM »
There is no way I can do that.  I am a fairly patient person in general, but not when it comes to new music by a favorite artist.  In those cases, I have to hear it NOW. :biggrin: :lol

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #3333 on: January 14, 2019, 06:56:40 PM »
If you can hold out, go for it.  I was skeptical of seeing a concert of material I didn't know when I saw Neal's Jesus Christ the Exorcist at last year's Morsefest.  One of my favorite concerts ever (granted I don't go to many concerts and this was the only one I got to take my daughter too so take it with a grain of salt)…

But I'm sure you'll enjoy it just as much if you cave and listen to the album.  I stand by my first statement though, IF YOU CAN wait, do it and you won't regret it.

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #3334 on: January 15, 2019, 04:36:11 AM »

Is this going to be a requirement to not get yelled at by MP / JG now? :P

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3335 on: January 15, 2019, 05:03:43 AM »
So I'm pretty sure I'm pretty sure I'm going to the Neal Morse show in a month. What would be a good place to start with him, ideally I'd like to check out some stuff that he'll probably play live.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #3336 on: January 15, 2019, 06:26:04 AM »
So I'm pretty sure I'm pretty sure I'm going to the Neal Morse show in a month. What would be a good place to start with him, ideally I'd like to check out some stuff that he'll probably play live.

Pick up the new album when it comes out, because that's what he'll be playing. I'm guessing the encore will be mostly stuff from Similitude of a Dream.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3337 on: January 15, 2019, 07:41:00 AM »

This is pathetic. I'd be close to embarrassed if I were Eric. It's almost like a kid's mom going to the mean kinds of the class and telling them to stop being mean to her kid.
Eric is a wonderful musician and probably an awesome dude. His band and he are about to release an awesome album. He doesn't need this.

Well, to be honest, this might not be the perfect album to do that. While it's still unmistakably a Neal Morse album (I believe I'm safe from Jacy here) , there are indeed a lot of influences from the other musician, I believe especially Bill and Eric. So it's not you typical Morse album 100%.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 07:46:20 AM by Fritzinger »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3338 on: January 15, 2019, 08:15:27 AM »

Pick up the new album when it comes out, because that's what he'll be playing. I'm guessing the encore will be mostly stuff from Similitude of a Dream.

I hope they bring back Alive Again as the encore on the tour. Considering that has yet to be played at a Morsefest, it would be a natural, as they could play it the whole tour, and then it would be well-rehearsed and on point for the Morsefest performance. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3339 on: January 15, 2019, 01:03:23 PM »

Definitely the new album Reaper, since that's going to make up the bulk of the setlist. I'm hoping that the encore isn't stuff from TSOAD though. As much as I love that album, we got two tour runs and two official live releases from it (plus I saw another Inner Circle only show went up either today or yesterday). Time to give some other material a chance to shine live.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3340 on: January 15, 2019, 01:49:24 PM »
So I just listened to a song called "A Place in Your World" by Flying Colors, and I think it is really awesome!  Can somebody tell me which album that is off of ?
Also is there any 'must have' live dvd's/bluray concerts of Flying Colors. I've never listened to this band until yesterday.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3341 on: January 15, 2019, 01:51:14 PM »
I hope they bring back Alive Again as the encore on the tour. Considering that has yet to be played at a Morsefest, it would be a natural, as they could play it the whole tour, and then it would be well-rehearsed and on point for the Morsefest performance. 

Time to give some other material a chance to shine live.

Yes to both of these. Almost all of The Grand Experiment has been performed live at Morsefest (even 2 of the 3 bonus tracks), except "Alive Again", so it would be a great encore, even though they played it on tour just 4 years ago. Of Neal's epics, I really don't see them busting out "World Without End" as it is pretty long, but they have played half-hour encores on their last major tour, so it's possible. Of the two, though, I'd rather see them bring back "Alive Again", but either would be fine. Playing "Alive Again" just gives them a bit more time to sneak in another song into the encore (anything but an SB tune, "Agenda", "King Jesus", "Reunion", or "The Call", please...).

As for the other night of Morsefest this year, I still retain my theory that it'll be a Flying Colors concert as they plan to release the third album around that time, and I could see it as a warm-up gig before they tour in the fall. The guys in FC could even guest on the TGA night of Morsefest, allowing more shared vocals with Casey guesting! Having both the NMB and FC there could also allow for some fun shenanigans during the Inner Circle concert as well!

So I just listened to a song called "A Place in Your World" by Flying Colors, and I think it is really awesome!  Can somebody tell me which album that is off of ?
Also is there any 'must have' live dvd's/bluray concerts of Flying Colors. I've never listened to this band until yesterday.
"A Place In Your World" is off of Flying Colors' second studio album, Second Nature. One of their best tracks, too, IMO. Flying Colors only has 2 studio albums so far, and 2 live albums/DVDs/BDs release, one from each tour. Check Mascot Records for their stuff!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3342 on: January 15, 2019, 01:59:31 PM »
Thanks Marc !  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline DTA

« Reply #3343 on: January 15, 2019, 02:13:48 PM »
A Similitude encore would be a buzzkill imo. It's been the focal point of nearly everything Morse for the past 3 years, plus I'm sure the new album will reuse themes pretty heavily so it feels a bit saturated at this point. Alive Again is a pretty obvious and likely choice, though I feel like there will be a short "fun" song too. Maybe the live debut of Children of The Chosen will finally happen...  ;D ::)

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3344 on: January 15, 2019, 02:56:28 PM »
Alive Again coming back would be sweet.

I remember being lukewarm on TGE  on first listen (it has since grown on me) but when Alive Again came on.  it made up for that entire first listen. one of Neal's best epics.

World without End would be ok  but i wouldn't cry if it's never brought back again.it IS overlong i agree there.  Actually when you think on it it's almost a beat for beat twin of So Many Roads ALMOST, lol. it does drag more than Roads does,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3345 on: January 15, 2019, 03:15:07 PM »
A Similitude encore would be a buzzkill imo. It's been the focal point of nearly everything Morse for the past 3 years, plus I'm sure the new album will reuse themes pretty heavily so it feels a bit saturated at this point. Alive Again is a pretty obvious and likely choice, though I feel like there will be a short "fun" song too. Maybe the live debut of Children of The Chosen will finally happen...  ;D ::)

Eh?

Neal did his solo tour last year where Similitude was not the focal point (I think So Far Gone was the only song played from it, and that was in medley form).

Nothing from it was played at Morsefest '18.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #3346 on: January 15, 2019, 05:28:53 PM »

Don't you mean the Eric Gilette, Neal Morse, Mike Portnoy, Randy George and Bill Hubauer show??!!"  >:(

-Jaci Lynn Gillette

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3347 on: January 15, 2019, 05:56:33 PM »

This is pathetic. I'd be close to embarrassed if I were Eric. It's almost like a kid's mom going to the mean kinds of the class and telling them to stop being mean to her kid.
Eric is a wonderful musician and probably an awesome dude. His band and he are about to release an awesome album. He doesn't need this.

Well, to be honest, this might not be the perfect album to do that. While it's still unmistakably a Neal Morse album (I believe I'm safe from Jacy here) , there are indeed a lot of influences from the other musician, I believe especially Bill and Eric. So it's not you typical Morse album 100%.

Poor Eric

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3348 on: January 16, 2019, 12:28:03 AM »
Funny, I disagree with most of the thoughts on Place In You World, WWE and Alive Again  :lol

I think A Place In Your World is actually one of the weaker FC songs, as the intro feels kinda random to me.. instead of the notes played, it could have been completely different notes, no one would have complained. In my opinion, Lost Without You and The Storm are more consequent with the poppy approach. Lost Without You might actually be my favourite FC song (I think I mentioned this before).

Alive Again is cool, but I like World Without End better. Both, however, are a lot better than So Many Roads imo, which is probably Neal's weakest 20 min+ song. I wouldn't be crazy about hearing Alive Alive again live, though it wouldn't bother me. Why not bring something "similar" to TGA into the encore, something more heavy? Something from Sola Scriptura? The Conclusion would be awesome.

Offline DTA

« Reply #3349 on: January 16, 2019, 05:42:57 AM »

Eh?

Neal did his solo tour last year where Similitude was not the focal point (I think So Far Gone was the only song played from it, and that was in medley form).

Nothing from it was played at Morsefest '18.

Forgot about the solo tour. Oh well, I'm not sure anyone's dying to see Similitude performed again for awhile.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3350 on: January 16, 2019, 08:06:41 AM »

Alive Again is cool, but I like World Without End better. Both, however, are a lot better than So Many Roads imo, which is probably Neal's weakest 20 min+ song. I wouldn't be crazy about hearing Alive Alive again live, though it wouldn't bother me. Why not bring something "similar" to TGA into the encore, something more heavy? Something from Sola Scriptura? The Conclusion would be awesome.

Well, as we have been reminded lately, the new album is by the Neal Morse Band, and the tour is the Neal Morse Band, so it would only make sense for them to play songs by the Neal Morse Band, right?  ;)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3351 on: January 17, 2019, 06:32:06 AM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3352 on: January 17, 2019, 08:19:47 AM »
Nice little quirky tune. I dig it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3353 on: January 17, 2019, 08:50:02 AM »
Oh, cool!  I didn't know they were going to release that.  Great, fun track.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3354 on: January 17, 2019, 10:51:55 AM »
A little too quirky for me, but I'm sure it will grow on me in the context of the album. At least it doesn't over stay it's welcome.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3355 on: January 17, 2019, 11:31:14 AM »
Yeah, it's a song I would kind of expect to be divisive.  It does make sense in the context of the story.  But if people don't like it, I wouldn't imagine that hearing it in the context of the album would change that either. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3356 on: January 17, 2019, 12:04:55 PM »
I will say this about it, it gets stuck in your head after the first listen for a while. That means it's a very memorable song.  There has been a lot of songs that I didn't like on the first listen, but I loved later.  I don't know if that will be the case with Vanity Fair,  it was pretty easy to digest on the first listen.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3357 on: January 17, 2019, 12:27:42 PM »
I'll reiterate that I trust Neal and that he and the gang will deliver a great album. With that being said, none of the three releases do a thing for me. Pretty 'blah' to me and were it not for the track record that Neal has in my eyes/mind with what he's given me over the years.....I'd be really worried about this album.

Being that I 'know' how he writes I understand that these songs are out of context and will 'fit' in the story/album......but on their own I would never intentionally seek them out to listen to them again. Just 'run of the mill' to my ears being the fact of who's involved in the project....these are really rudimentary songs that don't stand out to me.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3358 on: January 17, 2019, 12:29:22 PM »
Well, some people just don't like awesome things.  :dunno:

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3359 on: January 17, 2019, 12:31:43 PM »
Well, some people just don't like awesome things.  :dunno:

I think they've just spoiled me over the years. I lean toward the real proggy side of Neal and the gang.....some of these more 'basic' songs just miss the mark for me.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind