Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 548737 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #3220 on: December 29, 2018, 07:08:58 PM »
I actually think a great idea would be to have the Night 1 encore be a handful of Similitude songs, ending with Broken Day / Long Day (Reprise), meaning Night 1 would literally end with the lyric, "Let the great adventure now begin..."  And then Neal can, after the music stops, add, "which it will tomorrow night!"

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3221 on: January 03, 2019, 05:54:50 AM »
First review:
https://metalwani.com/2018/12/review-the-neal-morse-band-the-great-adventure.html
I’m happy that it seems that the album is in fact made by shorter songs, like Similitude👍
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3222 on: January 03, 2019, 06:59:45 AM »
Great review! It's going to be a long 4 weeks.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3224 on: January 03, 2019, 07:50:32 AM »

22 days!! :P

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3225 on: January 03, 2019, 08:04:52 AM »

And just short of 3 months until I get to see it live in all it's glory...

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3226 on: January 03, 2019, 10:49:50 AM »

If anything, 22 days is the shortest 4 weeks could ever be! :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3227 on: January 04, 2019, 10:57:51 AM »
My review of The Great Adventure should be done later today (I have a complete draft, but want to polish it up a bit before sending it to be published).  I think Neal fans are going to be really happy with this album.  I hate to be premature, given that this is only the 4th day of 2019, but I'll just go ahead and say it:  The Great Adventure is going to be a serious contender for album of the year and is one of the finest things Neal has ever done.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3228 on: January 04, 2019, 02:11:00 PM »
My review of The Great Adventure should be done later today (I have a complete draft, but want to polish it up a bit before sending it to be published).  I think Neal fans are going to be really happy with this album.  I hate to be premature, given that this is only the 4th day of 2019, but I'll just go ahead and say it:  The Great Adventure is going to be a serious contender for album of the year and is one of the finest things Neal has ever done.

I think it might be even better than Similitude. Looking forward to your review bosk!!!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3229 on: January 04, 2019, 02:50:30 PM »
Wow, that's huge praise, guys!  You're getting me excited over here!  Woo-hoo!  :metal
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3230 on: January 05, 2019, 03:11:26 AM »
Better than Similitude? Damn, can't wait for this.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3232 on: January 05, 2019, 08:44:51 AM »
Yay!  :D

And, yeah.  I'll say that it is better than Similitude.  Song of the moment is The Great Despair.  Very straightforward, but just an excellent rock album featuring lots of slide guitar and vocals by Eric.  It's very '80s, mid-tempo rock anthem-y.  :metal
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3233 on: January 05, 2019, 09:32:51 AM »
January 25th cannot get here soon enough.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3234 on: January 05, 2019, 09:49:51 AM »
Meant to say "rock ANTHEM.". It kind of has a Bob Seger vibe to it.  Great little song.  Vanity Fair is my other ear worm.  It is so goofy, but so fun.  I think that will definitely be a love/hate kind of song.

Offline DTA

« Reply #3235 on: January 05, 2019, 10:18:02 AM »
Meant to say "rock ANTHEM.". It kind of has a Bob Seger vibe to it.  Great little song.  Vanity Fair is my other ear worm.  It is so goofy, but so fun.  I think that will definitely be a love/hate kind of song.

I like when they get a little goofy. It's those moments that stand out more and make an album feel more unique. I'm super excited for this.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3236 on: January 05, 2019, 10:55:21 AM »
Great review Bosk!  I like that the article is a kind of "in general" type of format with not many spoilers. I've read many reviews that go into too much detail and break down each song to the point where it gets exhausting to read.
 You said just enough to stir excitement for the album without revealing too much. I can't wait to hear TGA, plus I practically got front row seats to see it live in Seattle on March 5th.  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #3237 on: January 05, 2019, 11:13:15 AM »
And, yeah.  I'll say that it is better than Similitude. 

I find that IMPOSSIBLE but can't wait for 1/25 to decide for myself. Thanks for the great review! :hefdaddy

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3238 on: January 05, 2019, 01:00:31 PM »
And, yeah.  I'll say that it is better than Similitude. 

I find that IMPOSSIBLE but can't wait for 1/25 to decide for myself. Thanks for the great review! :hefdaddy

i agree but we shall see

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3239 on: January 05, 2019, 04:22:42 PM »
Nice review!  :tup I'm trying not to read too many reviews of the album as I want to dive into it fresh, but MAN, it's exciting to read that folks think it's equal to or better than Similitude, because TSOAD is as close to a perfect Neal album as one could get (still not my favorite album he's worked on ever, but it's high up there). In the coming week, I'll start putting TSOAD back into my listening rotation to get ready for TGA, especially if there are hints of lyrical and musical themes being shared between the two, it'll help me spot them easier!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3240 on: January 05, 2019, 05:26:47 PM »
Nice review!  :tup I'm trying not to read too many reviews of the album as I want to dive into it fresh, but MAN, it's exciting to read that folks think it's equal to or better than Similitude, because TSOAD is as close to a perfect Neal album as one could get (still not my favorite album he's worked on ever, but it's high up there). In the coming week, I'll start putting TSOAD back into my listening rotation to get ready for TGA, especially if there are hints of lyrical and musical themes being shared between the two, it'll help me spot them easier!

-Marc.

Be careful with how your phrase or you could possible displease Mike Portnoy :facepalm:

I think Bosk1 wrote a great review, and he praised EVERYONE involved in the new album. Yet, Portnoy it’s not at all happy:

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3241 on: January 05, 2019, 05:35:14 PM »
MP strikes again! I wonder if he’s just salty because Bosk wrote the review (iirc, he doesn’t like Bosk too much). Anyway, the band is called The NEAL MORSE band for a reason...
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3242 on: January 05, 2019, 05:38:56 PM »
MP strikes again! I wonder if he’s just salty because Bosk wrote the review (iirc, he doesn’t like Bosk too much). Anyway, the band is called The NEAL MORSE band for a reason...

And that was really well acknowledged on the review

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3243 on: January 05, 2019, 06:32:13 PM »

And that was really well acknowledged on the review

Indeed (fantastic review, btw), adding “Band” to the name doesn’t make it a completely different thing from the previous NM albums.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3244 on: January 05, 2019, 08:05:09 PM »
Well, I know Mike's post can be read to come across as perhaps a little aggressive.  But I don't think he means it that way.  I think he is really just clarifying.  In one sense, reviews are not that hard to write if they are honest and come from the heart.  On the other hand, they ARE hard to write, because it can be difficult to make sure that what you are writing is really what you are intending to say, and it can be hard to balance all the different things you want to say.  Everybody involved in this album from top to bottom did a stellar job, and they all deserve a TON of credit.  But with Neal's name on the band and him driving the creative vision of the band, it is natural I think for people commenting on the band to focus more on him.  That doesn't make it any less a band effort.  I get where Mike is coming from, and I don't begrudge him one bit for pointing out everyone's role in the creative process.  Hopefully, he truly understands where I was coming from in that review as well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3245 on: January 05, 2019, 10:36:57 PM »

I have come around to thinking it is the best album Neal has done to date. I even rank it ahead of the first three Transatlantic albums now, all of which rate very highly for me.  If the new album is even close to as good as Similitude, which I suspect it will be, I will be one happy fan. :tup :tup

Offline Counselor of Prog

« Reply #3246 on: January 06, 2019, 08:41:34 AM »
19 more days.  It'll be here before you know it.
"The only closed systems in the universe are hardened hearts and darkened minds." Scott Becker, Valley of the Shadow

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #3247 on: January 06, 2019, 02:29:15 PM »
Any songs in the vibe of The Ways of a Fool? I think it's my favorite on TSOAD!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3248 on: January 07, 2019, 12:21:36 AM »
Any songs in the vibe of The Ways of a Fool? I think it's my favorite on TSOAD!

That's my favourite as well :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3249 on: January 07, 2019, 07:24:43 AM »
I think TSOAD has taken the top Album spot of all time from SFAM for me.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3250 on: January 07, 2019, 10:08:44 AM »
And now Eric’s wife:

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3251 on: January 07, 2019, 10:26:25 AM »
I get it, but if they're so focused on showing this is a band effort, just come up with a real band name (like Transatlantic and Flying Colors) instead of calling it Neal Morse and friends and then complain he gets all the credit :lol

If they all wrote EQUALLY, as she says in caps, release it under "The Neal Morse, Bill Hubauer, Eric Gillete, Mike Portnoy and Randy George Band". That's equal credit for eveyone :tup

And this has been discussed to death on the DT threads, but I HIGHLY doubt Mike spent countless hours in his studio coming up with riffs and melodies (he isn't ever home, he's busy recording albums and touring with other 100 bands...), and, if he did, was that EQUAL to the input Neal, Bill or Eric had? Not buying it.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3252 on: January 07, 2019, 10:39:33 AM »
I get it, but if they're so focused on showing this is a band effort, just come up with a real band name (like Transatlantic and Flying Colors) instead of calling it Neal Morse and friends and then complain he gets all the credit :lol

This. When you use your name and attach THE BAND to the end, it basically is the person's whose name is used that most people associate with the work. Those guys all know that. And if they feel sour that recognition is going to Neal, when it was a band effort, then they should have released it under a BAND name.

The review was a very thorough description of the album, written passionately. Those guys should be appreciating that someone took the time to review their work, instead of complaining that each of them didn't get enough credit from the reviewer.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3253 on: January 07, 2019, 10:41:49 AM »
I went back and read the review again, and I have to admit that it does come off like it is talking about a Neal solo album with contribution from "others," so I get where they are coming from.  Neal has just been such a prolific writer for so long that he is always gonna get the lion's share of attention in any band where it appears as if he is the dominant songwriter, even if that is not the case.  I can't comment on the new album yet, as I have not heard it, but while The Grand Experiment and The Similitude... certainly sound, more often than not, like they could have been Neal solo albums (let's face it, Neal's prog sound and style is always going to be crystal clear on any prog album he does), it is clear that the contributions from both Eric and Bill (who were not on Neal solo albums, unlike Randy and Portnoy) made those album different animals, and I suspect that will be the case with the forthcoming album as well.

In other words, let's hear it for all five members of the Neal Morse Band!!  :metal :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3254 on: January 07, 2019, 10:49:25 AM »
Well, no offense to Mike Portnoy, Eric Gillette, and any of the rest of the band members, but I wouldn't really change much of what I wrote. 

1.  First off, the review was incredibly complimentary.  Having gone back through it again, I don't minimize or slag anything about the album or any of the band members.  It is about as glowing a review as I could possibly write without just coming across as a completely biased shill for the band.  My sincere apologies if I did not take the time to individually praise each individual member's contribution more than I did.  But I am honestly not sure how I could have possibly been more positive.

2.  In my defense (as if I need to defend the review), I do not know what the actual writing contribution of each individual members consists of, and I have no way of knowing.  The band has not been explicit about that.  Having followed Neal's career for quite some time now, I can say that although Neal has said that with this iteration of the band, writing is more of a "band effort" than it has been, we the fans have little idea what that actually looks like.  Even having watched the "making of" video that came with Similitude for the prior album release cycle, it is clear that Neal is the driving creative force.  And it is NOT clear just how much the others bring to the table in terms of writing.  Neal is front and center in that video.  That is pretty much how it has always been.  And that is not a negative or a slight to anyone else.  It just is what it is.  So how are we the fans, including those relatively few of us who are privileged to review the material, supposed to intelligently comment in greater detail about each individual member's contribution when we have no idea what that is?  Especially when this is a pre-release review and, as a result, the band and label have been pretty mum about everything about the album, and the details are scant.

3.  Neal Morse's name is on the project.  Rightly or wrongly, that gives a "solo artist" impression, whether writing is truly a "band effort" or not.  Despite that fans (rightly) praise the individual performances of the other band members, I think there will always be a tendency to refer to the artist the project is named after in this type of situation.  It is subconscious, and is inevitable.  No matter how collaborative the band is, Neal will always receive the lion's share of the credit as long as his name is on the project.  Same with Dio, James LaBrie, Ozzy, etc.  Again, that isn't a slight to the other members.  But it's the double edged sword of this project being called "The Neal Morse Band." 

So, again, I'm sorry that my focus was more on Neal, individually.  I truly meant no offense and did not mean to marginalize the contributions of anyone else.  I apologize if some of my wording may have been a bit careless in that regard.  But there was nothing negative said in the review about anything, and I think it would have ultimately been more productive for each of the band members to focus on the glowing nature of the review and to be proud of what they brought to the table in eliciting such a response from a true fan of the band (the ENTIRE band) than to merely focus on any omission in shining the spotlight directly on them.  That's my two cents.

EDIT:

In other words, let's hear it for all five members of the Neal Morse Band!!  :metal :metal

^This.  1,000 times, this.

EDIT2:  I did, however, just submit a couple of small suggested revisions to make the intro more "band"-focused.  The folks who run LotsOfMuzik will incorporate those if they see fit.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 11:19:08 AM by bosk1 »