Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 548875 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #3115 on: December 02, 2018, 07:43:44 AM »
Not to speak for DTA, but I am going to go out on a limb and suggest that he meant, "Do we really need more songs by Neal Morse named Overture? Couldn't he have come up with something a little more creative this time?"

While I get what he probably meant, Neal's songs with that label always fit the description of what an overture is to a 't,' so I have no problem with it.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3116 on: December 02, 2018, 10:42:55 AM »
I definitely need more Neal Morse tracks named "Overture". Holy shit, use "Prelude" or "Introduction" or something!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think those things are not the same... Preludes or Introductions don't present big chunks of the most important themes and melodies of the piece. Overtures do just that and those themes are later reprised and varied. I think, often (especially in classical music), the Overture ends in a similar way as the whole piece, so the Overture is foreshadowing the end of the piece (like the Overture in Six Degrees did!).

Correct.  overtures in musicals, Classical.....encompass every (or nearly) every melody/theme you will hear.

Neal really nails lthe overture concept.  you can tell he is a classical.....perhaps even a theater lover.

Offline DTA

« Reply #3117 on: December 02, 2018, 11:27:25 AM »
Not to speak for DTA, but I am going to go out on a limb and suggest that he meant, "Do we really need more songs by Neal Morse named Overture? Couldn't he have come up with something a little more creative this time?"

While I get what he probably meant, Neal's songs with that label always fit the description of what an overture is to a 't,' so I have no problem with it.

Exactly. Make it "The Great Adventure Overture" or something, I don't care. But calling tracks just Overture over and over again feels redundant from a naming standpoint. Even if it fulfills the criteria of an overture, it can still be called something else. They're usually some of the best songs on his albums but the constant repetition of the name always irks me.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3118 on: December 02, 2018, 12:22:03 PM »

Exactly. Make it "The Great Adventure Overture" or something, I don't care. But calling tracks just Overture over and over again feels redundant from a naming standpoint. Even if it fulfills the criteria of an overture, it can still be called something else. They're usually some of the best songs on his albums but the constant repetition of the name always irks me.

Or, in case of Testimony 1 and 2, he called them Overture 1, 2, 3, 4, etc  :lol

DT has managed this well, by calling them Overture 1928 and Dystopian Overture. Neal could’ve done something similar here.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3119 on: December 02, 2018, 12:57:35 PM »
Randon Observation.

i'm listening to So Many Roads from the So Many Roads Live Album.  the one with the European band.

holy shit.  this was fire, lol 

i call this my least fav epic.  but i played this version just now and it opened up.  i'm sorry this smokes the NMB Version.

never ever thought i'd say that.

must play again......wow.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3120 on: December 02, 2018, 01:37:38 PM »
i'm sorry this smokes the NMB Version.

NMB lineup fans triggered in 3...2...1... :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3121 on: December 02, 2018, 02:10:50 PM »
i'm sorry this smokes the NMB Version.

NMB lineup fans triggered in 3...2...1... :lol

just what i think.......but you're right :lol :biggrin:

and i'm a HUGE NMB fan and i'm saying that, lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3122 on: December 02, 2018, 04:39:17 PM »
Why would fans of the NMB lineup be triggered?  ??? ???

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3123 on: December 02, 2018, 06:21:20 PM »
Why would fans of the NMB lineup be triggered?  ??? ???

Probably because he thinks that fans of the NMB versions of Neal's songs would think those version are superior to the ones performed by the European band.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3124 on: December 02, 2018, 09:59:48 PM »
I was joking, but yea, it seems like people here really really like the current NMB lineup vs all the previous people who have played with Neal (nothing wrong with that, btw).

In other news, MP confirmed that the first song is being released on Tuesday with the preorders :metal

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3125 on: December 03, 2018, 02:02:12 PM »
Looks like that tracklist earlier in the thread was correct, though looking at the pics released today of the final product shots, the album is divided into 2 acts with 5 chapters total.

Act I:
Chapter 1
1. Overture
2. The Dream Isn’t Over

Chapter 2
3. Welcome To The World
4. A Momentary Change
5. Dark Melody
6. I Got To Run
7. To The River

Chapter 3
8. The Great Adventure
9. Venture In Black
10. Hey Ho Let’s Go
11. Beyond The Borders

Act II:
Chapter 4
12. Overture 2
13. Long Ago
14. The Dream Continues
15. Fighting With Destiny
16. Vanity Fair

Chapter 5
17. Welcome To The World 2
18. The Element Of Fear
19. Child Of Wonder
20. The Great Despair
21. Freedom Calling
22. A Love That Never Dies

The pic also has chapter lengths but they are hard to figure out. Looks like disc 1 will be about 46 minutes, and disc 2 about 49 minutes long, with each vinyl side holding a chapter, but chapter 5's 30 minutes across both sides of LP3.

Check out @radiantrecord’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/radiantrecord/status/1069646208011038721?s=09

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3126 on: December 03, 2018, 02:11:32 PM »
i'm excited.  Similitude to me is the best thing he's done so i doubt it'll be as good for me.....but i'm still pumped.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3127 on: December 03, 2018, 02:19:38 PM »
I love seeing the total length just at a little over an hour and a half.  Similitude was so awesome because it had nothing but great stuff instead of them feeling the need to pack both discs with as much material as possible, ala Snow (which is great, but could have been trimmed down quite a bit and been a lot better).  Call it a concise double album, if you will. ;) :lol

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3128 on: December 03, 2018, 02:23:58 PM »
I love seeing the total length just at a little over an hour and a half.  Similitude was so awesome because it had nothing but great stuff instead of them feeling the need to pack both discs with as much material as possible, ala Snow (which is great, but could have been trimmed down quite a bit and been a lot better).  Call it a concise double album, if you will. ;) :lol

i agree about Snow.  I find the 1st disc amazing but the 2nd is ALMOST 1 big reprise.

even live it didn't change my feelings about the 2nd half.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3129 on: December 04, 2018, 08:10:40 AM »
TGA preorders are live and I already put my order in and just finished listening to "Welcome To The World". Definitely not what I expected but I liked it! When Neal says this is a harsher, heavier record, I can hear it already. I'm excited to hear more now!

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3130 on: December 04, 2018, 08:47:19 AM »
TGA preorders are live and I already put my order in and just finished listening to "Welcome To The World". Definitely not what I expected but I liked it! When Neal says this is a harsher, heavier record, I can hear it already. I'm excited to hear more now!

-Marc.

Please give me more of your opinion about the track Marc  :omg:
any rock can be made to roll

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3131 on: December 04, 2018, 08:48:23 AM »

-Marc.

https://youtu.be/k18EfI42NsQ

Listen for yourself!

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3132 on: December 04, 2018, 09:00:11 AM »

-Marc.

https://youtu.be/k18EfI42NsQ

Listen for yourself!

-Marc.

I never listen to singles.. but I want to hear everybody's opinions about them  :lol
any rock can be made to roll

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3133 on: December 04, 2018, 09:06:37 AM »
First impression:  I like it.  It kind of reminds me of The Grand Experiment (song), if I had to compare it to something else off the top of my head.  And since that is one my my favorite recent Neal songs, I'm cool with that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3134 on: December 04, 2018, 09:43:27 AM »
First Impression. Underwhelmed. I love Neal and 99% of his music....but this song to me was tired.....almost a retread of many other songs/song structures that he's done in the past. Very bland and boring. Even the lyrics were generic.

I get that it's a 'single' and that he's not going to release some of the more technical or longer songs....but if you're looking to drum up hype for the new album and are releasing a single at least have the single be somewhat 'fresh' and have some gumption.

I generally trust Neal because up to this point I've never been let down by one of his releases. However, 'Welcome to the World' did nothing for me personally...except maybe make me worry that this release could be my first disappointment?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #3135 on: December 04, 2018, 10:30:58 AM »
First Impression. Underwhelmed. I love Neal and 99% of his music....but this song to me was tired.....almost a retread of many other songs/song structures that he's done in the past. Very bland and boring. Even the lyrics were generic.

I get that it's a 'single' and that he's not going to release some of the more technical or longer songs....but if you're looking to drum up hype for the new album and are releasing a single at least have the single be somewhat 'fresh' and have some gumption.

I generally trust Neal because up to this point I've never been let down by one of his releases. However, 'Welcome to the World' did nothing for me personally...except maybe make me worry that this release could be my first disappointment?

I had the same initial reaction - a little underwhelmed. I felt the same way though when I first heard City of Destruction but am glad I didn't let that affect how I felt overall about TSoaD when I first listened to the entire album, as that is one of my favorites now from any artist. So here's to hoping for a similar experience with TGA. And also agree about trusting Neal - I'm giving him and the band the benefit of the doubt that the whole album will live up to my hype and expectations.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3136 on: December 04, 2018, 10:31:34 AM »
Everytime i hear NMB harmony.  i think Styx.

Catchy enough tune.  I have the chourus in my head already.  but it's typical Neal Fare.  as a single maybe a suppose you want that.

some recycled melodies.  but i still like the darker tone.  i wanted darker though.  but it's one song.....i'm still excited!!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3137 on: December 04, 2018, 10:53:04 AM »
This is pretty good, there were some unexpected twists and turns in there. I loved the transition from the first chorus into the second verse.

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #3138 on: December 04, 2018, 11:03:49 AM »
I thought it was awesome from the first listen, great lyrics too!  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3139 on: December 04, 2018, 11:27:07 AM »
For What it's worth.......i'm always underwhelmed by any single anybody releases ever, lol

i don't know what it is with me....i've always been that way.

i expect to really enjoy the album......and probably the single more WITHIN the album

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3140 on: December 04, 2018, 11:42:23 AM »
Here's the final Chapter lengths, and totals:

Act I (54:37)
    Chapter 1 (12:50)
1. Overture
2. The Dream Isn’t Over

Chapter 2 (23:48)
3. Welcome To The World
4. A Momentary Change
5. Dark Melody
6. I Got To Run
7. To The River

Chapter 3 (17:59)
8.   The Great Adventure
9.   Venture In Black
10. Hey Ho Let’s Go
11. Beyond The Borders

Act II (49:10)
    Chapter 4 (18:13)
1. Overture 2
2. Long Ago
3. The Dream Continues
4. Fighting With Destiny
5. Vanity Fair

Chapter 5 (30:57)
6.   Welcome To The World 2
7.   The Element Of Fear
8.   Child Of Wonder
9.   The Great Despair
10. Freedom Calling
11. A Love That Never Dies

Total - 103:47

Which is 2:24 shorter than TSOAD, if anyone is wondering.

-Marc.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3141 on: December 04, 2018, 11:49:42 AM »
I've always loved how neal divides stuff into parts.  very classical and theatrical.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3142 on: December 04, 2018, 12:02:22 PM »
For What it's worth.......i'm always underwhelmed by any single anybody releases ever, lol

Same Here.   I gave it another couple listens....I'm still not all that jazzed about it but totally understand this is one song in a series of songs that is telling a story. I'm certain that in its proper setting 'Welcome to the World' will become more enjoyable for me. But as a stand alone it does little for me at this point.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3143 on: December 04, 2018, 12:21:40 PM »

Same Here.   I gave it another couple listens....I'm still not all that jazzed about it but totally understand this is one song in a series of songs that is telling a story. I'm certain that in its proper setting 'Welcome to the World' will become more enjoyable for me. But as a stand alone it does little for me at this point.

neal has only flat out disapponted me once with Lifeline.

so i have faith.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3144 on: December 04, 2018, 12:31:40 PM »
neal has only flat out disapponted me once with Lifeline.

even with Lifeline being one of his "weaker" releases......I really liked 'Children of the Chosen' and 'So Many Roads'

SOAD was incredible in my eyes....and was fortunate enough to see it live. If I had to bet I'd say this release will be incredible as well. I'm just not captivated by the single at the moment.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3145 on: December 04, 2018, 01:14:37 PM »
I wasn't going to listen but couldn't resist. I just love this band and Neal. His/Their music just makes me happy. Best song ever? No way. TSOAD is probably my #2 album of all time behind SFAM so this album is going to have a tough time competing with it.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3146 on: December 04, 2018, 01:27:50 PM »
Not feeling this song at all. I'm 100% sure I'll enjoy most of the album, but this particular track does nothing for me.

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #3147 on: December 04, 2018, 01:34:47 PM »
I'm a bit surprised at the reviews of this song so far in this thread, I think it's pretty awesome! 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3148 on: December 04, 2018, 01:55:17 PM »
I'm a bit surprised at the reviews of this song so far in this thread, I think it's pretty awesome!

I'm surprised that it does nothing for me.....as I LOVE Neal's music and have a hard time finding a song I don't like. It just feels 'blah' to me....like I've heard this song already from him before. It's not 'bad' per say but I guess I just expected something different?

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #3149 on: December 04, 2018, 02:11:47 PM »

I'm surprised that it does nothing for me.....as I LOVE Neal's music and have a hard time finding a song I don't like. It just feels 'blah' to me....like I've heard this song already from him before. It's not 'bad' per say but I guess I just expected something different?
I'm pretty new to the NMB bandwagon, so I guess I have less of a critical eye, or ear I should say. I find nothing blah about this song. Sounds pretty darn solid to me..