Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 545333 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #3010 on: October 22, 2018, 06:38:43 PM »
I can't even remember who was a part of that band; I just know that the band he has now is aces and I am in favor of playing and releasing anything that hasn't been played since Bill and Eric joined.  Their presence will make any song better.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3011 on: October 22, 2018, 08:37:06 PM »
I can't even remember who was a part of that band; I just know that the band he has now is aces and I am in favor of playing and releasing anything that hasn't been played since Bill and Eric joined.  Their presence will make any song better.

IIRC, the Testimony 2 Live Band was mostly the same as the Testimony (1) Live Band, which saw 2 releases from its tour (the live DVD from Tilburg, I think, and an Inner Circle show from LA). It might have swapped out a couple of members, or added a couple more, but it was mostly the same, and I think Neal did that for continuity between T1 and T2, which was neat.

But I mostly agree with you Kev - I've enjoyed the fact that the band with Eric and Bill has been going through Neal's solo-prog-catalog with the Morsefests, so we are getting definitive live versions of his albums with this line-up, which is amazing, though I'm still miffed that we probably won't get live versions of "Absolute Beginner" (which should've been played last year) and "Back To The Garden" (from One, which should've been played in 2014), as well as "Doomsday Destiny" (which now has the honor of being the only song from TGE not played live, AFAIK, though if it has, it's not been released). Then there's the majority of Lifeline, though I think many of us probably won't miss it if The Neal Morse Band never plays those songs again.

The question is, will the NMB do a complete run of the Momentum album in an upcoming Morsefest? Technically speaking, Bill and Eric were a part of the band on the Momentum Tour, but they never played "Freak" and "Smoke And Mirrors", so a whole album performance wouldn't be unwelcome, though I would wonder what the 2nd night of that Morsefest would entail... A complete performance of The Grand Experiment (despite having released 7 out of 8 songs from that album with the current line-up)?

-Marc.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 09:00:12 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3012 on: October 22, 2018, 08:53:34 PM »

IIRC, the Testimony 2 Live Band was mostly the same as the Testimony (1) Live Band, which saw 2 releases from its tour (the live DVD from Tilburg, I think, and an Inner Circle show from LA). It might have swapped out a couple of members, or added a couple more, but it was mostly the same, and I think Neal did that for continuity between T1 and T2, which was neat.

But I mostly agree with you Kev - I've enjoyed the fact that the band with Eric and Bill has been going through Neal's solo-prog-catalog with the Morsefests, so we are getting definitive live versions of his albums with this line-up, which is amazing, though I'm still miffed that we probably won't get live versions of "Absolute Beginner" (which should've been played last year) and "Back To The Garden" (from One, which should've been played in 2014), as well as "Doomsday Destiny" (which now has the honor of being the only song from TGE not played live, AFAIK, though if it has, it's not been released). Then there's the majority of Lifeline, though I think many of us probably won't miss it if The Neal Morse Band never plays those songs again.

The question is, will the NMB do a complete run of the Momentum album in an upcoming Morsefest? Technically speaking, Bill and Eric were a part of the band on the Momentum Tour, but they never played "Freak" and "Smoke And Mirrors", so a whole album performance wouldn't be unwelcome, though I would wonder what the 2nd night of that Morsefest would entail... A complete performance of The Grand Experiment (despite having released 7 out of 8 songs from that album with the current line-up)???

-Marc.

you'd be right it is mostly the same band.

i geuss i'm just noy a huge fan.  cause i didn't really enjoy the first Testimony live DVD.....they play it well there was just something soulless about that lineup.  (and believe me i feel bad using that word.)

i didn't really come to like the first testimony till i heard NMB play at the first Morsefest.  man did they inject life into that peice.  So i cannot wait to hear T2 redone with them.  and i already LOVE T2

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3013 on: October 22, 2018, 09:30:04 PM »
Speaking of lineups, what ever happened to Adson Sodre, the original guitarist of the NMB?

If I remember correctly, he was intended to be the main guitarist for NMB, and Eric was basically the “extra” guy Neal brought to complete the lineup. They did the Momentum tour, released a live album and then he completely disappeared, leaving Eric as the only guitar player. I remember Neal being asked about it at the time and he just said Adson “isn’t a part of the band anymore”. No further explanation. Anyone here have any info on that?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3014 on: October 22, 2018, 09:52:53 PM »
Speaking of lineups, what ever happened to Adson Sodre, the original guitarist of the NMB?

If I remember correctly, he was intended to be the main guitarist for NMB, and Eric was basically the “extra” guy Neal brought to complete the lineup. They did the Momentum tour, released a live album and then he completely disappeared, leaving Eric as the only guitar player. I remember Neal being asked about it at the time and he just said Adson “isn’t a part of the band anymore”. No further explanation. Anyone here have any info on that?

Did a quick Google search, and the Wiki page on Neal states that "Adson Sodré was in the band until visa issues forced his departure."

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3015 on: October 22, 2018, 10:04:54 PM »

Did a quick Google search, and the Wiki page on Neal states that "Adson Sodré was in the band until visa issues forced his departure."

-Marc.

Oh, that makes sense, since he’s from Brazil. Thanks!
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3016 on: October 23, 2018, 05:02:11 AM »
Whenever I watch the Momentum DVD, I feel like Adson rules over Eric big time. Both are great guitarists, but Adson is just out of this world.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3017 on: October 23, 2018, 05:22:36 AM »
Whenever I watch the Momentum DVD, I feel like Adson rules over Eric big time. Both are great guitarists, but Adson is just out of this world.

Haven't seen this DVD but I seriously can't imagine that. I mean it's Eric. Have you seen him at MPs Shattered Fortress?? The dude's insane  :omg:
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3018 on: October 23, 2018, 05:42:04 AM »
Well, then you'll just have to see the Momentum DVD.  ;)

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3019 on: October 23, 2018, 07:22:31 AM »
I'll have to re-watch it too.  nothing stick's in my head about the guy.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3020 on: October 23, 2018, 08:32:46 AM »
Well, Neal picked him over Eric at first, that’s something :lol

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3021 on: October 23, 2018, 09:26:49 AM »

Haven't seen this DVD but I seriously can't imagine that. I mean it's Eric. Have you seen him at MPs Shattered Fortress?? The dude's insane  :omg:

Adson’s a good player but not at Eric’s level

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3022 on: October 23, 2018, 09:33:26 AM »
I just played a big of Live Momentum.  Adson's very good.  but.............i've been so attuned to Eric and his style that no else is gonna do at this point, lol

Neal found a golden boy.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3023 on: October 23, 2018, 11:53:51 AM »
I just watched The Conflict from the Momentum DVD and hell yeah Adson is a monster guitarist! But to be fair, Eric is given almost no opportunity to shine on the guitar here. A quick comparison with The Conflict at Morsefest 2015 shows that Eric is very capable of pulling off the same parts just as well as Adson (and he pulled them off on keyboards at the Live Momentum DVD!). Adson played/sang a super awesome guitar/scat solo during Two Down One To Go, unfortunately Eric wasn't given this solo spot on Morsefest 2015. I'm sure he would have come up with something very kewl too.

I don't want to say one is better than the other, nor do I want to judge these two amazing guitarists, when I have only heard/seen a few songs with Adson (I am ashamed that I wasn't aware the dude played in Morse's band). In my opinion, Adson is a little more extroverted, he's always rocking out on stage, while Eric is quiet and concentrates on playing his stuff and doing a few rock n roll faces during solos (another guitar master comes to mind rereading this description). They're both awesome. But then again, Eric also brings a LOT to the band with his voice.

Offline 425

« Reply #3024 on: October 23, 2018, 12:25:22 PM »
While you guys are talking about Neal Morse/NMB live releases, would anyone mind naming what some of the best ones are, or doing some sort of a ranking? I don't have any of his live albums yet, and there are so many of them that's it's a bit hard to figure out what's what.

(I have the prog studio albums from Testimony to Sola Scriptura plus both NMB releases. Planning to get Lifeline/T2Momentum soon.)
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3025 on: October 23, 2018, 12:53:05 PM »
While you guys are talking about Neal Morse/NMB live releases, would anyone mind naming what some of the best ones are, or doing some sort of a ranking? I don't have any of his live albums yet, and there are so many of them that's it's a bit hard to figure out what's what.

(I have the prog studio albums from Testimony to Sola Scriptura plus both NMB releases. Planning to get Lifeline/T2Momentum soon.)

Mine are (i'm just doing morse/Neal Morse Band stuff none of his side bands for now)

1. Morsefest 2015
2. Similitude of a dream Live in Tilburg
3.Live Momentum
4. Morsefest 2014
5. Alive Again

Thoughs are my main go to 5

then he has a bunch of others that are ok.

the first testimony live DVD
Testimony 2 live in LA
Sola Scriptura Live and Beyond
So many Roads live

Then he had question Mark live album which is ok.

All the others listed are fine.  but those first five are my go to for Neal Live.

Offline 425

« Reply #3026 on: October 23, 2018, 06:38:28 PM »
Cool, so it sounds like the top ones are the more recent ones with the NMB lineup? That's good to know.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3027 on: October 23, 2018, 06:55:36 PM »
Cool, so it sounds like the top ones are the more recent ones with the NMB lineup? That's good to know.

Yea The NMB is simply the best lineup neal has had yet, IMO.  they all gel in a real special way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3028 on: October 23, 2018, 08:08:12 PM »

Yes. Morsefest 2015 and Alive Again are my favorites, and I have no doubt that Morsefest 2017 will reign supreme once I get my paws on it later next month. :metal

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3029 on: October 23, 2018, 08:12:08 PM »

Yes. Morsefest 2015 and Alive Again are my favorites, and I have no doubt that Morsefest 2017 will reign supreme once I get my paws on it later next month. :metal

YES.  might be jumping the gun....but 2017 will be my fav.

it WILL knock 2015 off the throne.  which has held the top live spot since release day

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3030 on: November 05, 2018, 01:13:02 PM »
JUST ADDED! The Neal Morse Band live in Orlando FL, Feb 9th, 2019 at The Abbey. Tickets on Sale tomorrow at Noon EST. https://www.etix.com/ticket/p/3760447/an-evening-with-the-neal-morse-band-orlando-the-abbey-fyf

Offline thunderdog10

« Reply #3031 on: November 06, 2018, 10:45:29 AM »
tix for Orlando have been bought!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3032 on: November 10, 2018, 09:27:51 AM »
The Truth Will Set You Free from Morsefest 2017!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQILSF8IuHg&feature=youtu.be

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3033 on: November 10, 2018, 09:45:08 AM »
OOOH i am itching to get my hands on this set.

at this point i do not care it repeats similitude.  i'm that much of a fan.  just to have Testimony 2 AND Seeds of Gold played by NMB.  they have my money, lol

i was always majorly disappointed by the first testimony 2 live (did not like that band at all) so this is a fix for me.

oh man bring it on.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3034 on: November 11, 2018, 05:03:38 AM »

I love everything about this, except for the dancers. Don't get me wrong, they're very pretty but I have no idea what they are trying to do.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3035 on: November 11, 2018, 05:52:53 AM »

I love everything about this, except for the dancers. Don't get me wrong, they're very pretty but I have no idea what they are trying to do.

That’s the type of dances on many churches during worship.
I don’t think it fits the music of NM and I hate it because he has used them on most or all MF until now except for the SB I imagine as I haven’t watched that show yet

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3036 on: November 11, 2018, 06:20:47 AM »
I think the dancers are fun to watch, especially since it is unlike anything you see at any other Neal Morse concert. And they usually only are used during a few songs each night (both nights last year, only on night 2 this year). 

The dancers are his daughter Jayda and I don't know the name of the other, but I know she is the daughter of his friends Joey and Amy (Joey is the emcee at Morsefest and Amy is the one who runs Radiant Records, I believe).

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3037 on: November 11, 2018, 10:19:22 AM »
The dancers never bothered me.  Especially since one is Jayda and she's very deeply ingrained in his story.  I may not fully believe she was healed by an almighty force.  but it still touches me.

so i really never minded her dancing there.

doesn't take away a thing from these wonderful shows.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3038 on: November 16, 2018, 09:40:42 PM »
I got my art book edition in the mail today, and WOW its gorgeous! I'm watching the first night BD tonight as I finish putting away laundry and it looks/sounds amazing! So glad the band have finally played/released "So Many Roads", which Randy and Mike have never played live!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3039 on: November 16, 2018, 09:52:44 PM »
I received mine today as well. I didn't have time to really watch much tonight, but I put in Night 2 and watched a few highlights and it sounded great.  I am a little concerned about those overlay graphics, however, as I found them very distracting. I hope those aren't used on too many songs.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3040 on: November 17, 2018, 11:37:56 AM »
So i just got the regular blu ray and the Mp3 download.

as i suspected.  this is my fav Morsefest.  Highlights were Seeds of Gold and for sure having this band play Testimony 2 finally having it be Definitive.

So Many Roads play by these guys did indeed raise my view of this epic.  STILL all in all my least fav epic.  but i enjoyed it way WAY more than i ever have,  loved Neal teasing Land of Beginning again.  winking at us  that he writes way similar  songs, lol.  but that's his style.

I shouldn't have worried about Similitude repeated.  as this IS superior to Tilburg IMO.

all in all.  last night was a joyous evening.

LOVE it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3041 on: November 17, 2018, 07:29:45 PM »
It was frustrating how often they use overlay graphics over the band, but overall I still enjoyed the heck out of both nights again because of how good the performances were.  Similitude and Testimony 2 remain two of my favorite Neal/NMB studio albums (possibly my actual two favorites, although One and ? sometimes nudge T2 out of 2nd place), and both nights would be among my favorite concerts ever attended.  From a live "being there" standpoint, I can't imagine any Morsefest ever topping 2017 for me personally. 

I need to watch both again to try and find myself in the crowd (I saw my hair a few times on Night 1 :lol). 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3042 on: November 17, 2018, 07:54:14 PM »
Similitude and Testimony 2 remain two of my favorite Neal/NMB studio albums (possibly my actual two favorites, although One and ? sometimes nudge T2 out of 2nd place)

No Sola Scriptura? :omg: That's a top 5 of all time albums by Neal Morse to me (counting solo, SB, TA, etc)

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3043 on: November 17, 2018, 08:51:57 PM »
My Top 5.

5. Momentum
4. ?
3. Testimony 2
2. Sola Scriptura
1. Similitude of a Dream

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3044 on: November 17, 2018, 10:17:12 PM »
Similitude and Testimony 2 remain two of my favorite Neal/NMB studio albums (possibly my actual two favorites, although One and ? sometimes nudge T2 out of 2nd place)

No Sola Scriptura? :omg: That's a top 5 of all time albums by Neal Morse to me (counting solo, SB, TA, etc)

Sola Scriptura would probably be 6th or 7th on my list when looking at his solo/NMB albums.  The Grand Experiment would round out the top 5, and then SS would duke it out with his self-titled debut for 6th place.