Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 545292 times)

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #2975 on: October 17, 2018, 11:47:26 AM »
I hope I can get tix for the Seattle show. They go on sale Wednesday at 11am Pacific time. I WISH THEY WOULD GIVE US A LONGER NOTICE of when tix go on sale and not be caught off guard. I will be at work at that time and gotta pay bills first.  The Triple Door in Seattle is a small place and will probably sell out fast..
 I'm still excited, but stressing out at the same time..lol

I will be refreshing the Triple Door website in the hour leading up to 11AM to get my tickets. If you don't think you'll be able to get yours that morning, let me know where you want to sit (or maybe top 5 seats in case they sell fast), and I'll get it for you. You can PayPal me later.

Seating map:
https://thetripledoor.net/TripleDoor/files/bb/bb3a1814-bd9d-46ee-8436-79605f0a54b7.jpg
Wow thanks!  That would be awesome, I do have a PayPal account.  I was hoping to get two tickets in any of the booths from 10 to 23. (towards the front). I'll PM you Tuesday evening if I decide to go that route, I might not be able to come up with the money until later next week since I have a couple of important bills to pay if that's ok? But I am good for it and will NOT miss this show.
I saw Terry Bozzio two weeks ago there in seats 6 and 7 (front row ) with a friend. It looked like the booths have a bit better view since they are up a little higher.

Let me know if you want me to try and grab them. You can PayPal me later (not tonight), in case I’m not able to get them for some reason. Like if they sell out instantly. Although i don’t see that happening.
Hey thanks so much for the offer.  I found a way to order the tix myself tomorrow. My employer said I could order them at break time.  :tup.  I'm gonna splurge and do it!  Would be cool to meet you in person at the show. Perhaps have a beer. 🍻

Sounds great!

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #2976 on: October 17, 2018, 12:34:00 PM »
I saw the video that NM posted and he said that he's still sending tracks to Rich Mouser to mix in. Do you think there was a concerted effort to get the album and tour news out before DT made the official announcement for their new album? Knowing how MP was so concerned that SMOAD would be compared to The Astonishing as a double concept disc, maybe they were thinking of "let's get this one out first".

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2977 on: October 17, 2018, 12:54:01 PM »
I doubt it.  First off, DT isn't doing a double album this time, at least as far as we know, so there is no reason to assume any concern over a comparison.  Second, I don't think Neal is concerned with what DT does and isn't likely to get involved in trying to game them.  Third, there isn't really any competition between DT and Neal Morse.  And fourth, given the projected release date, the timing is right for an announcement.  DT are just about ready to make an announcement themselves, and their album is due out AFTER Neal's.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #2978 on: October 17, 2018, 01:08:15 PM »
Got my Seattle tickets for my son and I!  Countertop 223.  Where is everyone else?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2979 on: October 17, 2018, 01:13:47 PM »
Where is everyone else?

Not in Seattle.  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2980 on: October 17, 2018, 01:48:29 PM »
Got my Seattle tickets for my son and I!  Countertop 223.  Where is everyone else?
Just got mine, counter top 221.  Hello neighbor! 😎
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #2981 on: October 17, 2018, 02:36:50 PM »

Ha!  I kept getting an error trying to get 2 seats for 221.  Did you buy one or two?

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #2982 on: October 17, 2018, 02:53:35 PM »
I doubt it.  First off, DT isn't doing a double album this time, at least as far as we know, so there is no reason to assume any concern over a comparison.  Second, I don't think Neal is concerned with what DT does and isn't likely to get involved in trying to game them.  Third, there isn't really any competition between DT and Neal Morse.  And fourth, given the projected release date, the timing is right for an announcement.  DT are just about ready to make an announcement themselves, and their album is due out AFTER Neal's.
I agree with you but someone who is in Neal’s band is very aware of what DT is doing and is in competition with them. I’m probably thinking too much here.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2983 on: October 17, 2018, 03:10:19 PM »
Derek Sherinian is not in Neal's band.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2984 on: October 17, 2018, 03:12:37 PM »

Ha!  I kept getting an error trying to get 2 seats for 221.  Did you buy one or two?
I got two. It's weird though, on my confirmation both tickets say seat 2. I hope that isn't an error on their part and it just means I got both seats in that section.
I was trying for sec 212 and got an error.  So I tried again and got sec 221.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2985 on: October 17, 2018, 03:16:51 PM »
Derek Sherinian is not in Neal's band.
:rollin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2986 on: October 17, 2018, 04:15:25 PM »
I saw the video that NM posted and he said that he's still sending tracks to Rich Mouser to mix in. Do you think there was a concerted effort to get the album and tour news out before DT made the official announcement for their new album? Knowing how MP was so concerned that SMOAD would be compared to The Astonishing as a double concept disc, maybe they were thinking of "let's get this one out first".

Qhy would that really help? Honestly,  most DT fans will by both albums. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2987 on: October 17, 2018, 06:25:47 PM »
I agree with you but someone who is in Neal’s band is very aware of what DT is doing and is in competition with them. I’m probably thinking too much here.

I think Neal Morse, who likely has the final say-so regarding when official things are made public, is smart enough to realize that music is not a competition. 

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #2988 on: October 17, 2018, 08:10:52 PM »
OMG I have that sick to my stomach feeling of making a money commitment.  Got tickets for Chicago for me and my daughter. Kind of surprised at how much she enjoyed Jesus Christ the Exorcist.  But as soon as I asked if she'd want to go to this, her eyes lit right up.  **proud father moment** 

Still can't believe all the Neal Morse news lately.  It's all happening so fast.  Is it really happening?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 08:33:56 PM by ronnibran »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2989 on: October 17, 2018, 08:58:30 PM »
OMG I have that sick to my stomach feeling of making a money commitment.  Got tickets for Chicago for me and my daughter. Kind of surprised at how much she enjoyed Jesus Christ the Exorcist.  But as soon as I asked if she'd want to go to this, her eyes lit right up.  **proud father moment** 

Still can't believe all the Neal Morse news lately.  It's all happening so fast.  Is it really happening?

Is it really going to be?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #2990 on: October 17, 2018, 09:37:10 PM »

Is it really going to be?

Is it what our minds can see?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2991 on: October 19, 2018, 07:31:28 PM »
Where the hell is White Eagle Hall in Jersey City?

Due to some internet issues, I didn't even know about this tour until now, but was still able to score 6th row tickets on the mid-right in Glenside. Guess this tour wasn't on ticketbastard's radar.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2992 on: October 20, 2018, 11:11:11 AM »
Where the hell is White Eagle Hall in Jersey City?

Due to some internet issues, I didn't even know about this tour until now, but was still able to score 6th row tickets on the mid-right in Glenside. Guess this tour wasn't on ticketbastard's radar.
I got my fix for the Seattle show through the venue.  No ticketbastard involved. I wonder how they go about getting around that monopoly. I hope this is a new trend. :tup

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2993 on: October 21, 2018, 06:00:33 AM »
In anticipation of the upcoming album and the Meet & Greet in Munich on my birthday (which I booked a few days ago), I sat down yesterday in the afternoon and watched the whole Similitude live in Tilburg. I was at that tour, in Aschaffenburg and it was a blast. What a band, almost like a machine.

Similitude is a fantastic album, but I don't agree with MP when he says it's the best album he's played on. I personally think there are some things that can be improved on the next album, such as leaving out stuff like I'm Running and Freedom Song. Then again, the latter one was quite nice live, but it didn't do anything for me on the record. All in all, I'm very much looking forward to what I believe could be a darker/heavier version of Similitude.

I also ordered The Pilgrim's Progress for 4,95€ a few days ago. I figured if one of the greatest composers of my favourite genre composes 4 hours (or so) of music about this book, I should probably read it. A friend of mine (who is a much better English speaker than I am) started to read the thing and stopped after 120 pages though. He said it's very hard to understand. Has anyone here read it?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2994 on: October 21, 2018, 09:19:57 AM »
I cannot agree with some of that. Leaving off I'm Running and Freedom Song would have made the album not as great, especially live since I'm Running is joyous fun, while Freedom Song gave them a chance to channel a different vibe while bringing the tempo back up after the slow crawl that was Sloth.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2995 on: October 21, 2018, 09:24:14 AM »
Freedom song never fails to put a smile on my face. I'm running, however, doesn't do too much for me, although it's a solid tune.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2996 on: October 21, 2018, 10:53:38 AM »
Freedom song is my least favorite song from the album. I feel like disc 2 overall isn't as good/solid as disc 1.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2997 on: October 21, 2018, 11:10:01 AM »
For me Sloth is the one song bringing it down... which I guess is it's purpouse in the story but.....

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2998 on: October 21, 2018, 12:12:27 PM »
"Nothing makes Mike grin, MORE than sleep in in" 🎶   :lol

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2999 on: October 21, 2018, 01:20:21 PM »
Freedom song is my least favorite song from the album. I feel like disc 2 overall isn't as good/solid as disc 1.

I think the second disc works just fine EXCEPT for those two more stand alone songs. The Man In The Iron Cage and the two following songs follow the leitmotif structure of the whole album (if I recall correctly). Would they have been followed by that AWESOME 22 minute long finale Mask/Confrontation/Battle/Broken Sky/Long Day, the second disc would have been more concise in my opinion.

It's similar to Looking For Answers from Snow, in my opinion. It's a nice song, but the themes don't appear anywhere else on Snow and it's a standalone track that doesn't segue into the next song.

I don't quite get why Morse & the boys would make the effort of connecting the first and second disc by that quiet acoustic guitar (very cool idea actually) if they make a clean cut two songs later.
This is just complaining on a very high level btw, I still think the whole album is great (and so is Snow!).
any rock can be made to roll

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3000 on: October 21, 2018, 01:34:44 PM »

I think the second disc works just fine EXCEPT for those two more stand alone songs. The Man In The Iron Cage and the two following songs follow the leitmotif structure of the whole album (if I recall correctly). Would they have been followed by that AWESOME 22 minute long finale Mask/Confrontation/Battle/Broken Sky/Long Day, the second disc would have been more concise in my opinion.

It's similar to Looking For Answers from Snow, in my opinion. It's a nice song, but the themes don't appear anywhere else on Snow and it's a standalone track that doesn't segue into the next song.

I don't quite get why Morse & the boys would make the effort of connecting the first and second disc by that quiet acoustic guitar (very cool idea actually) if they make a clean cut two songs later.
This is just complaining on a very high level btw, I still think the whole album is great (and so is Snow!).

Wasn't it intended to be a single disc at first? It seems to me like they took longer to carefully connect everything on the first disc, but because the rest of the album came later and there were some big disagreements between Mike and Neal about that, they had to (my guess) rush the second part a bit and that's why it isn't as connected/fluid.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3001 on: October 21, 2018, 02:39:22 PM »
Freedom Song is referenced in the acoustic middle section of The Man in the Iron Cage.  And not everything has to segue way into each other.

I think it is a major stretch to suggest the second disc was rushed; Neal Morse would not have fought that long and hard for a second disc and then rushed it. 

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #3002 on: October 21, 2018, 07:52:08 PM »
I have to somewhat agree with some posters, I don’t care for the middle half of disc 2 (Freedom Song, Sloth, I’m running). But minor critique aside, I couldn’t be more excited for the sequel.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3003 on: October 22, 2018, 10:56:13 AM »
Well i got slightly mad at neal with Morsefest 2017 repeat thing of Similitude......i should have waited......then i saw the track listing for night one.  and i my anger evaporated.

i can't wait to hear Testimony 2 with NMB.  as i never really liked the other release it got in 2011.  not as great a band IMO.  then we get Seeds of Gold and So Many Roads (not a fav epic but many it will be with this band. so yes i caved and bought this, lol.

As for the Sequel to Similitude.  Similitude is my 2nd fav Neal record (big claim but true) so i can't wait.

i hope it's darker.....Cause Neal can kill that style.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3004 on: October 22, 2018, 12:20:01 PM »
Going back to the Morsefest 2017 discussion, I actually think that if I had to choose to only have Similitude Live or Morsefest 2017, I would stick with the former.  Of the four encore songs, I REALLY like having Momentum and Agenda, and The Call isn't half bad either.  But since The Call and Author of Confusion both appear on both releases, it really comes down to Momentum and Agenda vs. all of Testimony 2 and some of the songs from the T2 bonus disk.  Honestly, I think I'd take Momentum and Agenda.  Those two songs are great.  T2 isn't bad.  But we already have a good live version of that. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3005 on: October 22, 2018, 01:53:21 PM »
I REALLY like Agenda

I couldn't read past this ;D

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3006 on: October 22, 2018, 02:04:09 PM »
The Encores on the whole were the weakest thing about Similitude live for me.

i'm sick to death of Author Of confusion.  The call and Momentum are just ok.  and i hate Agenda.

so yea some of the weakest encores Neal has put forth IMO.

and I LOVE Testimony 2.  beats the pants off the first for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3007 on: October 22, 2018, 02:53:24 PM »
T2 isn't bad.  But we already have a good live version of that.

We do? Seems like most agree that the live DVD from the T2 tour was easily his worst live release.  The lighting is poor, the camera angles are whack (not the camera guys' fault, probably just the venue made it not easy), and that guy is in the background on nearly every Neal shot with the colorfully loud shirt.  I literally never watch that DVD.

Getting it (mostly) in full again with the two Lifeline tracks and the Morsefest dancers (who kill it during The Truth Will Set You Free) will be sweet.  :hat

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3008 on: October 22, 2018, 02:57:51 PM »

We do? Seems like most agree that the live DVD from the T2 tour was easily his worst live release.  The lighting is poor, the camera angles are whack (not the camera guys' fault, probably just the venue made it not easy), and that guy is in the background on nearly every Neal shot with the colorfully loud shirt.  I literally never watch that DVD.

Getting it (mostly) in full again with the two Lifeline tracks and the Morsefest dancers (who kill it during The Truth Will Set You Free) will be sweet.  :hat

I was referring to the audio.  I honestly have no recollection of the video portion of that show.  Haven't watched it in ages. 

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3009 on: October 22, 2018, 03:02:18 PM »

yea That T2 DVD concert is pretty bad.  never mind the video presentation which is awful.

i just do not like the band he used for that at all.  Randy George and Portnoy aside,