Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 539624 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #2870 on: August 12, 2018, 06:44:52 AM »
I'll be shocked if he doesn't play a few songs from it at Night 1 of Morsefest this year. I am sure he will want to play a few songs from it to get immortalized at a Morsefest show, and it makes sense to do it this year to reflect the tour he did this past spring.  Manchester by the Sea will be fun as heck with that big of a crowd singing along to the part that you always sing along to in your car. :lol :lol

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2871 on: August 15, 2018, 03:21:02 PM »
This was posted on the NM forum.

Seeking assistance and guidance!

Brother Paul Hanlon--the Lord of Prog--is scheduled to go to Morsefest 2018 in mid-September.  The arrangements have been made.  But...the airline says he needs a companion for the flight from and to London.  Without that, they won't allow Paul to fly and he won't be able to attend the event.

So we're looking for somebody who would be able to accompany Paul.  Most of the arrangements for a companion are already taken care of as well.  And helping Paul is not only pretty easy, it is a joy.  Oh, and you'll be able to hang with the Boardmans when you get here (no nasty comments, please).

If you've got the time between September 11 and 18, please consider this.  Morsefest is an incredible time--great music and fellowship.  And you'd be doing something great as well.
If you're interested, contact Paul.  And thanks in advance!

I asked to post this here and to know if he had found someone and got this info:

George—no, so far no response. In terms of what is being covered, Paul is the better source on that. But typically his companions have most expenses covered for them.

So, if anyone interested let me know so I can pass the contact

Online DTA

« Reply #2872 on: August 15, 2018, 05:27:32 PM »
Has anyone had experience with emailing Radiant Records for issues and getting quick and/or helpful responses? I bought an mp3 version of one of Neal's albums and it was missing a song so I sent a message to them and was wondering how long I'm going to wait for them to get back to me. Thanks!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2873 on: August 15, 2018, 05:35:23 PM »
Good luck getting a reply in the next month. :lol

Online goo-goo

« Reply #2874 on: August 16, 2018, 06:28:08 AM »
With Radiant Records, customer service has always been a hit or miss. I personally have had one issue with them and they responded very fast. But I've read that other inquiries have taken a longer time (a week or more) to be addressed. This might be a busy time in Radiant world: prepping for Morsefest, prepping the next live release, etc.  Hopefully your inquiry will get addressed soon.

On another note, I should be cancelling the Inner Circle shortly and use those funds for the King Crimson 1000 Club.  :metal

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2875 on: August 16, 2018, 07:33:58 AM »
On another note, I should be cancelling the Inner Circle shortly and use those funds for the King Crimson 1000 Club.  :metal

Surely you could just stick with the Inner Circle and then stock up on Advil PM for all your sleep aid needs :biggrin:
Photobucket sucks.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2876 on: August 16, 2018, 08:57:47 PM »
This was posted on the NM forum.

Seeking assistance and guidance!

Brother Paul Hanlon--the Lord of Prog--is scheduled to go to Morsefest 2018 in mid-September.  The arrangements have been made.  But...the airline says he needs a companion for the flight from and to London.  Without that, they won't allow Paul to fly and he won't be able to attend the event.

So we're looking for somebody who would be able to accompany Paul.  Most of the arrangements for a companion are already taken care of as well.  And helping Paul is not only pretty easy, it is a joy.  Oh, and you'll be able to hang with the Boardmans when you get here (no nasty comments, please).

If you've got the time between September 11 and 18, please consider this.  Morsefest is an incredible time--great music and fellowship.  And you'd be doing something great as well.
If you're interested, contact Paul.  And thanks in advance!

I asked to post this here and to know if he had found someone and got this info:

George—no, so far no response. In terms of what is being covered, Paul is the better source on that. But typically his companions have most expenses covered for them.

So, if anyone interested let me know so I can pass the contact

Anyone? All expenses will be covered!!! Air travel, meals, MF tickets etc

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2877 on: August 16, 2018, 09:00:25 PM »
I hope he finds a way to make it, but I honestly have no idea who that is.  Seems like I would have heard of the "the Lord of Prog" by now.  I am confused.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2878 on: August 17, 2018, 08:33:14 AM »
I hope he finds a way to make it, but I honestly have no idea who that is.  Seems like I would have heard of the "the Lord of Prog" by now.  I am confused.

I think the Lord of Prog thing it’s something that those close to him at Morsefest gave him.
Paul is the one with the Morsefest red shirt

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2879 on: August 18, 2018, 08:06:25 AM »
Ah, okay.  Like I said before, hopefully he finds a way to go.  27 days to go!! :coolio

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2880 on: August 18, 2018, 10:14:18 AM »
Ah, okay.  Like I said before, hopefully he finds a way to go.  27 days to go!! :coolio

He just posted that he found someone. NICE

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2881 on: August 18, 2018, 10:35:40 PM »

He just posted that he found someone. NICE

:tup :tup

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #2882 on: August 23, 2018, 02:56:12 PM »
New song from upcoming musical.

https://youtu.be/5EKEvEjoU5k

Online DTA

« Reply #2883 on: August 23, 2018, 04:58:29 PM »
As much as I love Neal's prog stuff, I have to say that after getting it over a week ago, God Won't Give Up might be one of my favorite of his albums. The melodies are fantastic and the arrangements are really tight and interesting. Yeah the lyrics are religious (obviously), but they honestly don't bother me at all. I also got Life & Times a little bit ago, and was really surprised how much I liked that one too. I've been listening to both non-stop. I'm really impressed by this man's output and consistency.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2884 on: August 25, 2018, 07:26:42 AM »
As much as I love Neal's prog stuff, I have to say that after getting it over a week ago, God Won't Give Up might be one of my favorite of his albums. The melodies are fantastic and the arrangements are really tight and interesting. Yeah the lyrics are religious (obviously), but they honestly don't bother me at all. I also got Life & Times a little bit ago, and was really surprised how much I liked that one too. I've been listening to both non-stop. I'm really impressed by this man's output and consistency.

Good to hear!

I like Life & Times quite a bit, but it hasn't had the replay-ability factor that his prog albums do.  It does have a few songs I go back to a lot - Manchester by the Sea and Good Love Is on the Way, most notably. 

I am more than ready for some new prog by Neal. :coolio

Online DTA

« Reply #2885 on: August 25, 2018, 08:30:41 AM »

Good to hear!

I like Life & Times quite a bit, but it hasn't had the replay-ability factor that his prog albums do.  It does have a few songs I go back to a lot - Manchester by the Sea and Good Love Is on the Way, most notably. 

I am more than ready for some new prog by Neal. :coolio

Those two are probably my favorites on L&T, in addition to Lay Low, You + Me + Everything, and She's Changed Her Mind.

New prog from Neal is always good, especially with Eric and Bill onboard now.  :tup

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2886 on: August 25, 2018, 09:05:18 AM »
Apparently the new album will be a two disc release (as per gathered from the latest IC letter) of course, it could be a two disc release of new music, or a cover bonus CD, I am excited either way

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2887 on: August 26, 2018, 07:07:43 AM »
Apparently the new album will be a two disc release (as per gathered from the latest IC letter) of course, it could be a two disc release of new music, or a cover bonus CD, I am excited either way

Given Neal's history, I would guess that the second disc will have a few new songs that didn't work within the flow of the regular disc, plus a few covers.

Those two are probably my favorites on L&T, in addition to Lay Low, You + Me + Everything, and She's Changed Her Mind.

I like He Died at Home a lot as well, but that song is too heavy to listen to on a regular basis.

On the flip side, I am still majorly underwhelmed by Living Lightly.  The vibe is nice, but the hook just isn't there.  I guess Neal isn't going to knock it out of the park every single time. :lol :biggrin:

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2888 on: August 26, 2018, 12:05:21 PM »
Heads up for people going to Morsefest (and anyone else interested), it seems the September Inner Circle release is the latest demos for the Jesus Christ Exorcist musical. They are now available for free for anyone it seems. Not sure if it's a mistake or not, but I'd jump on it now if you want to have a preview of what he'll be doing at this year's Morsefest. You can find it at radiant's website under New Products.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online DTA

« Reply #2889 on: August 26, 2018, 04:47:58 PM »

I like He Died at Home a lot as well, but that song is too heavy to listen to on a regular basis.

On the flip side, I am still majorly underwhelmed by Living Lightly.  The vibe is nice, but the hook just isn't there.  I guess Neal isn't going to knock it out of the park every single time. :lol :biggrin:

Living Lightly is a bit of a snoozer, I agree.  He Died At Home is unfortunately the most tedious song on the album for me (along with Old Alabama). The album feels very light and carefree, and this dirge just kills the vibe. Speaking of that, I checked out one of his worship albums out of curiosity (Lead Me Lord) after enjoying God Won't Give Up so much, and I was definitely NOT into it. Very slow and plodding. I guess that's my fault for expecting them to be a bunch of albums like GWGU and his s/t, but it was really a chore to get through. Yet the sick completist in me wants to check the others out too... :o

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #2890 on: August 26, 2018, 05:34:22 PM »
I really like the album God Won't Give Up.  But I've checked out and never have been able to get into any of the worship albums.

I like his first solo album a lot also.  But I don't like the second (It's Not Too Late).  I bought Songs from November, but never got into that either.  So I didn't even bother buying the last one "Life and Times"?.  So, for me, the non-prog is pretty hit and miss. 

When it comes to the prog, however...   :hat  It's all amazing.  I never really got into the ? album like most people, but everything else has been great.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2891 on: August 27, 2018, 07:35:35 AM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2892 on: August 27, 2018, 09:34:33 PM »
Heads up for people going to Morsefest (and anyone else interested), it seems the September Inner Circle release is the latest demos for the Jesus Christ Exorcist musical. They are now available for free for anyone it seems. Not sure if it's a mistake or not, but I'd jump on it now if you want to have a preview of what he'll be doing at this year's Morsefest. You can find it at radiant's website under New Products.

I plan on going in blind, outside of that new song that was posted the other day that didn't do a lot for me, but I am sure will sound better once I hear it more and/or within the context of the whole piece of music.

Living Lightly is a bit of a snoozer, I agree.  He Died At Home is unfortunately the most tedious song on the album for me (along with Old Alabama). The album feels very light and carefree, and this dirge just kills the vibe. Speaking of that, I checked out one of his worship albums out of curiosity (Lead Me Lord) after enjoying God Won't Give Up so much, and I was definitely NOT into it. Very slow and plodding. I guess that's my fault for expecting them to be a bunch of albums like GWGU and his s/t, but it was really a chore to get through. Yet the sick completist in me wants to check the others out too... :o

Personally, I think you have to be in it (Neal's music) for his lyrics in a big way to enjoy the worship albums.  I am in it for the music, first and foremost.

I really like the album God Won't Give Up.  But I've checked out and never have been able to get into any of the worship albums.

I like his first solo album a lot also.  But I don't like the second (It's Not Too Late).  I bought Songs from November, but never got into that either.  So I didn't even bother buying the last one "Life and Times"?.  So, for me, the non-prog is pretty hit and miss. 

When it comes to the prog, however...   :hat  It's all amazing.  I never really got into the ? album like most people, but everything else has been great.

I don't think Neal has done a prog album I don't like A LOT.  Lifeline is probably my least favorite, and even that one is more than great for over half of the album (thanks to the 28-minute So Many Roads).

Offline The Letter M

« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 11:23:10 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Photobucket sucks.

Offline 425

« Reply #2895 on: September 07, 2018, 10:43:21 AM »
I mean, it almost wouldn't be surprising if Neal was still releasing double albums 18,000 years from now.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2896 on: September 07, 2018, 11:24:06 AM »
Typing, in a hurry, on a phone keyboard NEVER not results in at least one typo...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2897 on: September 07, 2018, 02:21:36 PM »
I mean, it almost wouldn't be surprising if Neal was still releasing double albums 18,000 years from now.

He's just that prolific.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2898 on: September 07, 2018, 02:38:57 PM »
Don't you mean Neal Morse's head will be?  I've seen Futurama.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2899 on: September 07, 2018, 07:44:55 PM »
One week till Morsefest!!!  :tup :tup

Online DTA

« Reply #2900 on: September 08, 2018, 05:24:46 AM »
One week till Morsefest!!!  :tup :tup

I'm not going, but I hope the SB night is full of cool surprises and lesser-played tracks and not just The Light, June, Wind At My Back, The Doorway and any other songs they play all the time. Although the thingy on Neal's site says it's a showcase of the influences of SB's singers so it may just be a lot of covers/stories with a few token SB tracks thrown in? Either way, I hope it's awesome.

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #2901 on: September 10, 2018, 02:39:06 PM »
Saw a promo for the MorseFest 2017 release today on YouTube. Pre-order is on 9/18. 2 Blu-Ray and CD/DVD packs. Once again can't figure out why we can't get a Blu-Ray/CD pack. Oh well... Even though I already bought Similitude Live in Tilburg and the older Testimony 2 Live in LA, it still we be an automatic buy for me.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2902 on: September 10, 2018, 03:03:00 PM »
Saw a promo for the MorseFest 2017 release today on YouTube. Pre-order is on 9/18. 2 Blu-Ray and CD/DVD packs. Once again can't figure out why we can't get a Blu-Ray/CD pack. Oh well... Even though I already bought Similitude Live in Tilburg and the older Testimony 2 Live in LA, it still we be an automatic buy for me.

There's also the deluxe limited edition with 2 BDs, 2 DVDs and 4 CDs, as well as a 50-page artbook. I'll definitely be going for that package, especially if it's up to the same quality as the SNOW LIVE set that was released last fall.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2903 on: September 10, 2018, 06:56:34 PM »
Here is the promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBCbO0tpWAk

Can't wait to get this.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2904 on: September 11, 2018, 11:34:00 AM »
Been waiting a long time for this!