Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 539902 times)

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #2555 on: January 16, 2018, 07:10:40 AM »
So the NM album expected on February 16 "Life & Times" is not the one discussed by MP above?

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2556 on: January 16, 2018, 07:13:17 AM »
That means they already wrote 80 mins of music in, what, one and a half weeks?
I don't understand why they can't take a little more time for their albums. Just let the ideas develop a little, don't take the first thing that comes to your mind. MP and NM never disappoint with an album, but I think if they'd just lock themselves in for a least a month, they could create something really cool. Don't make your music inflationary.
I once read somewhere (more or less translated from German): If Supper's Ready is made up of a whole fair of ideas, then Duel With The Devil consists of not more than only one small booth of that fair.

Neal and Randy were talking about new NMB stuff at Morsefest 2017 in September. They work on this stuff constantly, just not in the same room. Neal is constantly writing, whether on tour or at home (His Life and Times album was written on the Road Called Home tour). They get together for a week or two to basically confirm and nail down the songs, which is all they need because at that point everything is already written for the most part. And, like you said, they never disappoint. So I don't see a problem with it.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2557 on: January 16, 2018, 07:29:03 AM »
So the NM album expected on February 16 "Life & Times" is not the one discussed by MP above?

No, that's NMs singer/songwriter album. The one we're talking about is the next, yet unnamed album by the Neal Morse band. As far as I know, MP was not involved in Life & Times.

As I said, I really enjoy NMs albums, but I think if they took time together to work on their ideas together, they could create something even more awesome. Same thing with Transatlantic. No, ESPECIALLY with Transatlantic actually.
any rock can be made to roll

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2558 on: January 16, 2018, 07:32:52 AM »
As I said, I really enjoy NMs albums, but I think if they took time together to work on their ideas together, they could create something even more awesome. Same thing with Transatlantic. No, ESPECIALLY with Transatlantic actually.

I agree with Transatlantic. I feel that especially Kaleidoscope could have been better if it was given more time and more work. It's not a bad album, but for me it feels like it could have been better.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2559 on: January 16, 2018, 08:29:35 AM »
An interesting update on the new album by MP on Facebook. It seems that it will a CD with longer songs:
“Sitting on an airplane flying home from Nashville and I just did a listen down of the writing/scratch tracks of the entire new NMB album from start to finish...WOW 😳 I’m blown away!!!
We knew following up TSOAD would be a challenge as it was such a special album to all of us, but I have to say this new one does the legacy proud and is an amazing follow up!
To nip the biggest question in the bud now, it’s a single disc and is NOT a sequel to TSOAD...
If I had to compare it to one of mine & Neal’s previous albums, I’d say it’s probably most similar to Sola Scriptura or Transatlantic’s Bridge Across Forever...
The album is filled with epic majesty, beautiful melodies and amazing playing from start to finish and I couldn’t be prouder of what we came up with....
I know it’s rather early to be teasing you all like this when we won’t even begin tracking til March and the album won’t likely be out til towards the end of the year, but I just wanted to check in and give you all a progress report and let you all know how excited I am with it!!
To be continued...“

That's cool.  I know Mike is always enthusiastic about everything he works on, but it's still nice to see.  And while I don't always end up agreeing with his descriptions of what a given album is actually like (see Black Clouds), it's interesting to see what he feels a given album compares to or feels like.

I don't understand why they can't take a little more time for their albums.

Probably because they don't NEED to.  Simple as that.  What they are doing works.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2560 on: January 16, 2018, 03:08:15 PM »
I don't understand why they can't take a little more time for their albums.

Probably because they don't NEED to.  Simple as that.  What they are doing works.

Gotta agree with Bosk here. We can assume all day and night how much "better" the music could have been given a bit more time, but it's not like the music is particularly horrible in any respects, or at least to a majority of fans. What they do is pretty great, and the chemistry between Neal and Mike has always led to some great music.

Also, more often than not, Neal comes prepared with music he's worked on for months, and when he gets together with his bands, unless they offer up a ton of ideas, it's mostly his pieces that get tweaked by the band and re-arranged a bit, so it's not like they're writing from scratch every session. For all we know, most of the album was already written by Neal in the last few months (and actually, I recall Neal saying he had ideas several months ago for the next NMB album lined up, according to his Inner Circle Newsletter).

So no, I highly doubt they wrote an album's worth of music in less than 10 days, but more likely hammered out the tunes, tweaked them to include input and ideas from Mike, Randy, Bill and Eric, and finalized the arrangements. Between now and March, they'll probably discuss arrangements and ideas some more, then finalize the drum tracks during the tracking period, then spend the next couple months recording the rest of the instruments and vocals, which then will go through numerous edits and tweaks between the band members as mixes are sent back and forth between them via email/dropbox from Neal and Rich Mouser. The final mix probably won't be done until a month or so before release anyway, which they have all year for if they want it out before 2019.

You can tell I've watched WAAAAY too many Neal Morse/SB/TA/FC behind-the-scenes/making-of documentaries. It's a process, and yes, while Mike and Neal have written stuff in the studio before, they typically come prepared with the majority of music to be recorded. Demos for many of Neal's albums exist, as far back as the SB days, to prove that he does write before sessions begin. Dream Theater they are not.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2561 on: January 16, 2018, 05:31:27 PM »
I am pretty sure I remember hearing about the time of Morsefest last September that both Eric and Bill were already writing stuff for the next NMB album, and when you consider that Neal seems to always write and never sleep :lol, it's likely that they went into the studio armed with plenty of material ready to go.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2562 on: January 16, 2018, 06:39:39 PM »
Yeah, I've seen enough Docs to know that any project with Neal does not write like MP's other projects. NMB, TA, FC all demo their own material and then they usually present their stuff at the sessions. There they tweak it and start putting stuff together to form songs. Further tweaking might happen between the sessions and the actual tracking period.

You can be sure that nothing is rushed when Neal is involved.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #2563 on: January 17, 2018, 01:20:04 PM »
MP overhyping something? Now there's a shocker!  ;)

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2564 on: January 21, 2018, 05:28:36 PM »
Any word of a January Inner Circle release?
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2565 on: January 22, 2018, 08:11:22 AM »
Any word of a January Inner Circle release?

NEAL MORSE - Live at Morsefest 2017
INNER CIRCLE JANUARY 2018
(Wave, MP3 and Art files)

"Sometimes very special things happen spontaneously... almost magically at times" says Neal Morse referring to his acoustic concert at Morsefest 2017. "I couldn't think of what I really wanted to do, and then I sat down the day before the concert and just wrote some songs out and they seemed to flow in an almost perfect way. It was the first time that I performed many of the songs from 'Life and Times,' and performing them with my son Wil made it even more special for me." This was the debut of many new songs including "Manchester" and "He Died At Home" the latter of which was the talk of the festival. Julie Harrison joined Wil and Neal for a beautiful rendition of "Old Alabama".

Track list:
1. Pierce My Heart
2. Agenda
3. If I Only Had A Day
4. Selfie In The Square
5. Make Me A Dishwasher
6. Manchester
7. Cradle To The Grave
8. Lay Low
9. He Died At Home
10. Alright With Me

Just got the email this morning.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2566 on: January 24, 2018, 11:24:35 AM »
Recently I've been meaning to check out the two singer/songwriter albums Neal released before leaving Spock's Beard. I have to admit I was slightly apprehensive. Songs from November was neat, but not something I return to often. The two new songs turned out to be a bit underwhelming. I thought to myself, what if the whole singer/songwriter aspect of Neal's work isn't even close to his great prog releases?

Boy, was I wrong.

I've been spinning his very first solo album over the last few days over and over again. I can't forgive myself for ignoring it for so long. The closing suite is marvelous, filled to the brim with usual beauty and awesomeness Neal is known for. Emma, Everything is wrong and That which doesn't kill me are also among my favorites, and the opener, even though not truly convincing or energetic like most of his openers, is still a cute tune. There isn't a single song I dislike on this album. It's great. Kev pointed out that it's supperior to Day for night. It actually might be.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2567 on: January 24, 2018, 12:11:50 PM »
There are some good songs on his first two song writing albums. I prefer the first to the second. But I LOVE Songs from November. My favorite of the three by far.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2568 on: January 24, 2018, 07:37:38 PM »
Recently I've been meaning to check out the two singer/songwriter albums Neal released before leaving Spock's Beard. I have to admit I was slightly apprehensive. Songs from November was neat, but not something I return to often. The two new songs turned out to be a bit underwhelming. I thought to myself, what if the whole singer/songwriter aspect of Neal's work isn't even close to his great prog releases?

Boy, was I wrong.

I've been spinning his very first solo album over the last few days over and over again. I can't forgive myself for ignoring it for so long. The closing suite is marvelous, filled to the brim with usual beauty and awesomeness Neal is known for. Emma, Everything is wrong and That which doesn't kill me are also among my favorites, and the opener, even though not truly convincing or energetic like most of his openers, is still a cute tune. There isn't a single song I dislike on this album. It's great. Kev pointed out that it's supperior to Day for night. It actually might be.

I literally smiled when reading this post.  :tup :tup

Glad to see you are enjoying that first record of Neal's!  I love it.  :hat

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2569 on: January 25, 2018, 07:36:00 AM »
Sorry to be a noob, but what are the titles of the records you guys are talking about?   I thought "Songs From November" was more recent than that?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2570 on: January 25, 2018, 08:00:27 AM »
Well, since it is only January, I suppose that's a reasonable assumption.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2571 on: January 25, 2018, 12:16:14 PM »
Sorry to be a noob, but what are the titles of the records you guys are talking about?   I thought "Songs From November" was more recent than that?

Neal Morse - 1999

https://www.nealmorse.com/catalog.asp?n=nealmorse

It's Not Too Late - 2001

https://www.nealmorse.com/catalog.asp?n=itsnottoolate
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #2572 on: January 26, 2018, 02:05:10 PM »
I like those 2 first "solo" albums. Songs From November is just ok, seems to me that his lyrics are just so literal and the melodies seem kind of safe. It sounds like the new album will be like that too, based on the two songs released so far. I am looking forward to seeing him in NYC on 1/28 though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2573 on: January 26, 2018, 05:28:06 PM »
First two songs sound solid, but nothing that has knocked my socks off.  I am sure the album as a whole will be enjoyable if not amazing.  I will consider it the appetizer for the eventual new Neal Morse Band record.  :coolio

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #2574 on: January 26, 2018, 08:37:44 PM »

Neal Morse - 1999

https://www.nealmorse.com/catalog.asp?n=nealmorse

It's Not Too Late - 2001

https://www.nealmorse.com/catalog.asp?n=itsnottoolate

Dang Stads, never took you for such a noob  :coolio

Offline DT2003

« Reply #2575 on: January 27, 2018, 05:24:28 AM »
As huge a Neal fan as I am, I never got into his singer/songwriter albums, but I think I have to give them a try. The only one I own is Songs from November, but I didn’t really give it a legitamate chance, only listening to it once. I’ll start with that and order the other two as well as the new one in the meantime.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2576 on: February 11, 2018, 07:33:37 PM »
Live version of another new song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1w3ADql3yo

Sounds like a fun, catchy song. :coolio

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2577 on: February 12, 2018, 06:22:09 AM »
Hey guys... I'll be interviewing Neal this Wednesday. If you have any questions for him, PM me!

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #2578 on: February 12, 2018, 06:41:55 AM »
Hey guys... I'll be interviewing Neal this Wednesday. If you have any questions for him, PM me!

Any plans for new Transatlantic and if so any band line-up info?
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2579 on: February 12, 2018, 07:06:55 AM »

Any plans for new Transatlantic and if so any band line-up info?

Thanks!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2580 on: February 12, 2018, 07:26:37 AM »

I'd love an update on Flying Colors 3.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2581 on: February 12, 2018, 07:34:07 AM »
I would love to know more of the details of the conflict they had during the writing of TSOAD, with Mike being initially VERY apprehensive about it being a double album.  The "making of" CD makes it seem pretty dramatic in the way it is edited with Neal's commentary.  But it also just kind of gives us the conflict and then the resolution in quick succession.  I'm curious about how they worked through it, what the other musicians in the band may have felt/said about it, and just how all that worked out.  I totally get Mike's apprehension, and them having worked through it and following Neal's inspiration seems to have given us the best possible album, so it's great that they worked it out the way they did.  But I'm curious about the process.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2582 on: February 12, 2018, 07:37:33 AM »
Also, any updates on the next Morsefest Blu-Ray release would be great. I need a live copy of TSOAD.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2583 on: February 12, 2018, 08:31:33 AM »
Will they be following the "Neal Morse Band" concept further, or are there Neal Morse solo prog albums in the future?  Is that dynamic noticeable with the band or is it more of an organic thing that "puts a name" to what was always there? 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2584 on: February 12, 2018, 09:40:54 AM »
Thanks guys!!! Keep em coming!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2585 on: February 12, 2018, 07:23:51 PM »

The guys above me pretty much took all my questions (Flying Colors 3, Transatlantic 5, Morsefest 2017 home video/CD release)...hmmm...

Oh, I've got one - Whose decision was it to not play Lifeline in its entirety for Morsefest, but only do 2 songs (the title track and the epic "So Many Roads")? If it was Neal's decision, how does he feel about the album nearly a decade later, as it seems he doesn't play many of those songs live anymore.

And side-question relating to that same night at Morsefest - why wasn't "Absolute Beginner" (from the second disc of Testimony 2) not played live alongside "Supernatural" and "Seeds Of Gold"? This seems like another odd omission like "Back To The Garden" from the live performance of One during Morsefest 2014.

Thanks for your consideration and hope the interview goes well!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2586 on: February 12, 2018, 07:44:22 PM »
I don't see the point in continuously asking him about Transatlantic. He even recently said that they have no current plans to do anything, so why have him answer it again?  Seems like a waste of a question. He has a solo album coming out this week and the NMB is working on for later this year, so why not focus on what he is actually doing right now? 

I think a good question would be to ask him if, when getting ready for his upcoming tour, he rediscovered some good songs he had forgotten about on his other singer-songwriter albums (self-titled, It's Not Too Late, Songs from November).

Offline DTA

« Reply #2587 on: February 13, 2018, 05:29:21 AM »
I don't see the point in continuously asking him about Transatlantic. He even recently said that they have no current plans to do anything, so why have him answer it again?  Seems like a waste of a question. He has a solo album coming out this week and the NMB is working on for later this year, so why not focus on what he is actually doing right now? 

Yeah this type of question always bugged me when musicians would do fan q&a type stuff. Inevitably, 90% Of The questions would be stuff like “when are you coming to (insert country)? “ They’ll announce when they’re coming there! It’s not like they want to keep it a secret. When there’s news, it’ll be released. Why not ask questions that nobody has asked before?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2588 on: February 13, 2018, 11:22:58 AM »
Ask him when he's coming to Indonesia.  :)

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2589 on: February 13, 2018, 01:22:05 PM »
Questions:
-Any plans of ever doing a MorseFest out of USA? Let’s say Europe, South America?
-Has he ever thought of doing an album or a song in a foreign language? Spanish for example?
-ChegoVoice a member of this forum who is from my home country it’s currently working on a progressive metal opera/album titled Aura, I did approach Neal about the possibility to to be feature as a guest singer will he be open to tbe idea of working on a similar project if he hasn’t thought about releasing and album or song in spanish (unfortunately he was just about to start the TSOAD tour and told me he couldn’t do it.

That is for now