Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 547446 times)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #2380 on: August 25, 2017, 11:01:01 AM »
I haven't checked out any of Neal's solo stuff. Is the Neal Morse Band less religious than the solo stuff?

No, not really.  The Grand Experiment is a bit less "on the nose" than most of his solo albums.  But not by a whole lot.  This iteration of the band is meant to be a continuation of what he was already doing as a solo artist, not something different.  So it incorporates the same types of faith-based lyrics as his earlier solo work.

And why did Morse decide to form a band instead of releasing more solo stuff? It seems like he's still the band leader and main song-writer for the band.

Rather than having basically hired guns from all over the place, he wanted a band of relatively local musicians that he could write and tour with.  The guys he ended up hiring turned out to be competent songwriters themselves and contributed much more than the hired guns of the past, so Neal changed the name of the project to reflect that it is a band effort and not just him.

Thanks for the reply, bosk1  :tup
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #2381 on: August 26, 2017, 09:10:52 AM »
I have not been moved by a performance like The Neal Morse band last night in Ridgefield in a very long time. It far exceeded any expectation I had, and I had a very high expectation going in.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2382 on: August 26, 2017, 05:05:52 PM »
I second that; what an amazing performance, on every level, and for me, Neal Morse just elevated into the "see him every time he comes around, just because..." category.   I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.  He rips off a keyboard solo that would make Tony Banks slow clap, sings a melody, runs back for the electric guitar, accompanies Eric Gillette (who is no slouch at all on guitar), throws down his own electric solo, sings, runs back to the keyboard, lays down some smack, then picks up the 12-string to play a soft arpeggio on a dime, while singing the closing section of the song.  I honestly don't know how he did some of the things I watched him do from 12 feet away.   

Plus the music... the crescendo at the end of the piece is just... it literally took my breath away. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2383 on: August 27, 2017, 11:31:24 AM »
I wasn't moved like I usually am, but that was the best Neal Morse show I've seen yet -- probably because I really like Similitude which satisfies a ton of musical itches for me and the band itself is really coming into its own.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2384 on: August 28, 2017, 10:11:21 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=50&v=BxmiQuFGfqA
It seems that this will be a Spock's Beard release and not a part of a Morsefest DVD.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 03:12:33 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2385 on: August 28, 2017, 02:42:16 PM »
Dang, I wish I wouldn't have missed that in Seattle back in January. I was pretty broke at the time plus a 2hr drive each way..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2386 on: September 01, 2017, 11:03:42 PM »
Morsefest night 1 = awesome.

Lifeline
So Many Roads
Supernatural
Seeds of Gold

All of T2 disc 1

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2387 on: September 01, 2017, 11:31:43 PM »
Morsefest night 1 = awesome.

Lifeline
So Many Roads
Supernatural
Seeds of Gold

All of T2 disc 1

A many had predicted the two epics from Lifeline (title track and SMR) were played, as well as the often-requested "Seeds Of Gold". Nice pick to throw in "Supernatural" as well, though I wonder why they didn't throw in "Absolute Beginner"? Hmmm... Was that song ever released on any live albums, official or Inner Circle?

Either way, the "Lost Epics" set seems to be a perfect fit for a single CD, so this looks to be a solid 2-CD first night. Tomorrow night should be pretty great, and I hope they go all out for TSOAD's last performance! I hope they do their 3-song encore (Author/Agenda/The Call), just for maximum Morse-ness!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2388 on: September 02, 2017, 05:59:50 AM »
Tonight's encore/2nd set should be long. They played right at 3 hours last night, so assuming that is similar tonight, encore/2nd set should be about an hour.

NDV and Stan (can't spell his last name; guy who has been a co-writer on last 6 Spock's albums) did a 5-song acoustic set to warm up the crowd last night, There Was a Time and The Doorway being two of the songs.

Also, Supernatural was acoustic with them all at the front of the stage and Eric on lead vocals; Bill did the second verse. And at the end, they did a few bars of Give Peace a Chance before launching
into several minutes of I've Seen All Good People. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 06:05:10 AM by KevShmev »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2389 on: September 02, 2017, 06:07:52 AM »
Man, Morsefest is one hell of a party every single time. Hopefully I'll attend it once in a lifetime.  ;D

There was a time - now, there's a gem of a song.  :heart

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2390 on: September 02, 2017, 04:40:17 PM »
My brother and I are in for every year now, as long as Neal does it.

Insider info claims that The Great Nothing is getting played tonight. No clue how reliable that is, but that's the rumor.

Ready for night 2.  :coolio

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2391 on: September 02, 2017, 09:24:00 PM »
Tonight's encore/2nd set should be long. They played right at 3 hours last night, so assuming that is similar tonight, encore/2nd set should be about an hour.
I think MP posted on Facebook on Thursday that they ran straight through both night's sets and it was only 5 or 5.5 hours of music.

NDV and Stan (can't spell his last name; guy who has been a co-writer on last 6 Spock's albums) did a 5-song acoustic set to warm up the crowd last night, There Was a Time and The Doorway being two of the songs.
Stan Ausmus, IIRC. Only a 5-song set, eh? Well with "The Doorway" in there, I wouldn't complain. Nice to see "There Was A Time" being dusted off, though now I am curious what the other three songs were!

Also, Supernatural was acoustic with them all at the front of the stage and Eric on lead vocals; Bill did the second verse. And at the end, they did a few bars of Give Peace a Chance before launching
Very cool medley! I look forward to hearing that when this album is released in 2019! :lol

Insider info claims that The Great Nothing is getting played tonight. No clue how reliable that is, but that's the rumor.

That would be intense, but I think they'll likely do their usual encores that they have been doing, at least "Agenda", as it's the only song from the main TGE album that hasn't been released yet (and one of two from the special edition, the other being "Doomsday Destiny").

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HolidaysAnoraks

« Reply #2392 on: September 02, 2017, 10:33:31 PM »
No Tbe Great Nothing, though that would have been awesome. Great gig, nonetheless.

Similitude (with intermission btw Breath and Slave)
Author
Agenda
The Call

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2393 on: September 02, 2017, 10:51:44 PM »
No Tbe Great Nothing, though that would have been awesome. Great gig, nonetheless.

Similitude (with intermission btw Breath and Slave)
Author
Agenda
The Call

Predictable, but still good either way. They did that same encore two shows before Morsefest (I guess they had the time to do all three), so I figured they would do all three again for Morsefest this weekend. "The Call" is still one of those great songs that's amazing as a show opener AND an encore/show closer!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2394 on: September 02, 2017, 11:10:25 PM »
One of the best shows I've ever seen. Neal was full of more energy than you can imagine. I'll say once I'm home and not typing from my phone. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2395 on: September 03, 2017, 02:27:48 PM »

Stan Ausmus, IIRC. Only a 5-song set, eh? Well with "The Doorway" in there, I wouldn't complain. Nice to see "There Was A Time" being dusted off, though now I am curious what the other three songs were.

The second song was Mary Jane Says, from an NDV EP. I had never heard it before, but it was a good tune.

The third was a cover of Humdrum from Peter Gabriel's Car; NDV referred to it as one of his favorite PG songs.

I cannot remember what the fourth song was (There Was a Time was first; The Doorway was fifth/last).

NDV and his ukelele band opened last night and played five covers:

Living in the Past
Closer to the Heart
Frame by Frame (awesome cover of a hard-to-cover song)
Going to California
Roundabout

The crowd ate up each cover with a spoon. Great stuff!  :coolio

I'll say more about the two NMB shows later...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2396 on: September 03, 2017, 09:10:12 PM »
For those interested, here are my thoughts on each night:

Friday
-NDV and Stan Ausmus, as mentioned above, did a great job with their 5-song acoustic set to open the night.
-The first set was awesome. Even though I am not wild about Lifeline, I was happy to get the title track and So Many Roads, the two clear standouts from it.  The "Eyes of the Saviour" section of So Many Roads, with the live choir singing along, was incredible. I had major goosebumps.
-Supernatural was done acoustic with Eric on live vocals for the whole song, except the second verse, which Bill did.
-Neal joked about how he sometimes kicks himself for writing a piano intro like the one to Seeds of Gold, but he was like, "I will try it and see how this goes." He mostly nailed it. Fantastic performance one of Neal's best written songs of this decade, and he even played about the first half of Steve Morse's solo before Eric took over and brought it to the climax.
-At one point, Neal said how calling it Morsefest wasn't his idea, but once it got going, it just sort of snowballed and here we are. The joke was made that they should have called it RandyFest (or the nickname of Randy they use + fest). That got a playful double fist pump from Randy George, and the crowd ate it up.
-Jayda. One of the highlights of the weekend. This was one of those live moments I will look back on years from now and be happy I got see it in person. If you know the story of the song, you know what a personal song it is to Neal for obvious reasons. Regardless of what you believe, it's an emotionally devastating song for Neal to sing. The second it ended, his daughter, Jayda, ran out and hugged Neal. No clue if it was preplanned or spontaneous on her part, but you could see tears running down his face on the big video, and the whole crowd sprung to their feet and gave an applause that was nothing short of inspiring.  What a moment.
-I remember saying at the time that T2 was Neal bringing the fun back to his music on a regular basis, and Nighttime Collectors, Time Has Come Today and Road Dog Blues were all great reminders of that.
-The Truth Will Set You Free was just stupid good. I mean, I knew that song would slay live, but it was like being paralyzed for eight minutes to where all you could do was watch and listen in awe. Hands down, one of the best individual song live performances I have ever seen. And it featured Neal's two dancers (his daughter Jayda and another young lady whose name I cannot recall).  They came out for a handful of songs each night.
-Crossing Over/Mercy Street Reprise was as awesome live as I thought it would be. Words cannot do justice how powerful the end of the song was live, especially since it was the end of the night of 3+ hours of music.

I left that night, thinking I had just seen one of the best 4-5 best shows I have ever seen, and thought, can they top this tomorrow?

Saturday
-NDV and his ukelele band did a fantastic job with playing five classic covers. Their cover of Yes' Roundabout had the whole crowd clapping along.  I cannot wait to get my hands on a copy of their CD (which was sold out too quickly at the merch stand. but Nick said more copies are being manufactured for sale).
-What can I say about The Similitude of a Dream that hasn't been said already. It's just a fantastic piece of music, from start to finish. There are no lags, no weak spots. It is stellar from start to finish, and the performance of it last night more than did it justice.
-City of Destruction had the crowd going bonkers. The crowd Friday night was great, but the crowd Saturday night was like someone had given the already-energetic Friday night crowd an adrenaline shot. Twice. The front two rows of the center section were completely bonkers the whole night, bouncing up and down every time the music picked up, and City of Destruction was a good example.
-Eric's soloing both nights was nothing short of phenomenal, and the one in The Slough is just absurd. The same can be said for the one in Breath of Angels, where he walked down the center aisle to be in the middle of the crowd and delivered one of the finest solos you will ever hear.  What a talent that guy is.
-Speaking of talent, Bill Hubauer!! The talent this guy possesses is inspiring. He can sing his ass off, his keyboard playing is tremendous, and comes off like a very genuine guy. He looked like a kid in a candy store, just thrilled to be up there playing such great music with a great band. His extended piano intro to The Mask...incredible.
-The back to back of The Ways of a Fool and So Far Gone still might be the best 12 consecutive minutes on the CD, a bold statement for sure, but seeing it live again just affirmed my position on that.
-Shortcut to Salvation is just a fun and joyous little number. If that song doesn't put a smile on your face, there is something wrong with you.
-The Man in the Iron Cage. Neal only has two lines per verse, but I was amazed at how big and powerful his voice delivering each one, especially since he was starting to get a little hoarse.
-I'm Running. This, for me, was the highlight of Saturday night. Neal was out of his mind (in a good way!) in this song, running all over the stage, up and down the aisles, and bouncing with the guys in the front row at one point, while still delivering a passionate and furious vocal performance. This should be a song Neal always play live now. It brought the house down, and Randy George coming over to those guys in the front row and bouncing with them for a good 10-15 seconds was one of those "I can't believe how awesome this is" moments.
-The Mask and Confrontation remains one of my favorite sequences from the record as well, and once again, words cannot do justice to how amazing they were. It will be a bummer if this band never performs this album in full again; it is too good to not pull out again at some point.  A 5-star record in every way!
-The encores of Author of Confusion and The Call were fantastic, and while I like Agenda, I am not sure it was the best choice. The crowd was a little subdued for it, but I guess after all of the greatness we had already endured, getting a song that is merely "good" to let us come down a bit in preparation for the finale of The Call was possibly needed. Still, I was expecting something a little more special last night at the end, instead of just the same encores they had played for the whole tour, but that is splitting hairs. Still a magnificent second night.

Overall, even though I think I enjoyed Night 1 a touch more than Night 2 (Friday had a better and more satisfying conclusion, and we had better seats on Friday).

But I can honestly say that Friday would go down as probably the 3rd or 4th best concert I have ever seen, and Saturday night would be top 10 as well. Not bad considering how many shows I've seen over the years. What a weekend, and rest assured that I will not missing another Morsefest. As long as Neal keeps doing them, I am there. Without hesitation.  I would recommend any and every Neal fans to find a way to do the same in the future.  Friday night felt like a once in a lifetime concert, and then I got another one of them the next night.  Wow.  Just, wow.

Offline HolidaysAnoraks

« Reply #2397 on: September 03, 2017, 09:35:58 PM »
I also loved that Eric ended up singing lead on the Star For A Day section of So Many Roads. That got a huge cheer from my section. Agreed on Friday night being slightly better. Both shows were great, but Lifeline is one of my favorite NM records, so that opening set of night 1 was bliss.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2398 on: September 04, 2017, 02:28:39 AM »
That show seems just... unreal. I can't believe one can perform such a concert.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2399 on: September 04, 2017, 06:14:16 AM »
I also loved that Eric ended up singing lead on the Star For A Day section of So Many Roads. That got a huge cheer from my section. Agreed on Friday night being slightly better. Both shows were great, but Lifeline is one of my favorite NM records, so that opening set of night 1 was bliss.

I am not gonna lie: when they began with Lifeline, I had two thoughts:

1) they are probably going to play So Many Roads!
2) I hope they don't play Leviathan. :lol :lol :lol

I was happy with how things turned out.  :coolio

That show seems just... unreal. I can't believe one can perform such a concert.

Plenty of credit has to go to the tremendous band he has assembled, as well as the dozens of extras (extra musicians, choir, dancers, etc.) who helped make Morsefest what it was, but there is no doubt that Neal is the straw that stirs the drink.  It's a shame that he doesn't play to more people, but he gives his all, regardless.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2400 on: September 04, 2017, 09:27:02 AM »

***snip***

Thanks Kev for really rubbing it in and making me mad at myself even more for not going   :lol  I'm only teasing. I knew I'd regret not pulling the trigger....that's not going to happen again. Really disappointed in myself over the decision not to go....even had a full green light from my wife but I chose a (4) day weekend of leisure. Oh well....thanks for the detailed reportage.  :tup
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2401 on: September 04, 2017, 11:13:29 AM »

My favorite Neal Morse song, and I would have loved to have heard that version.   Amazing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2402 on: September 04, 2017, 01:58:06 PM »

***snip***

Thanks Kev for really rubbing it in and making me mad at myself even more for not going   :lol  I'm only teasing. I knew I'd regret not pulling the trigger....that's not going to happen again. Really disappointed in myself over the decision not to go....even had a full green light from my wife but I chose a (4) day weekend of leisure. Oh well....thanks for the detailed reportage.  :tup

It is almost always hard to argue with a 4-day weekend of leisure, since we do not get those very often. 

In this case, I will argue with it, however... :biggrin: :lol

Someone on FB said that he talked to a few band members who said that if there is a Morsefest 2018, it is unlikely that they'd have a new album by that time. Considering that would roughly be a year away, that is a major bummer.  I hope NMB isn't put on the back burner while Portnoy plays around with his band in an attempt to one-up Dream Theater. :facepalm:

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2403 on: September 04, 2017, 04:05:52 PM »
Someone on FB said that he talked to a few band members who said that if there is a Morsefest 2018, it is unlikely that they'd have a new album by that time. Considering that would roughly be a year away, that is a major bummer.  I hope NMB isn't put on the back burner while Portnoy plays around with his band in an attempt to one-up Dream Theater. :facepalm:

That's interesting, though I suspect that next year will be an In-The-Studio year for Neal Morse considering how busy Mike might be with SOA. Neal has said in the July IC Newsletter that he was working on a new Singer/Songwriter album (I'd assume in the vein of Songs From November), and in last month's newsletter, he said he'll finish it in September and release it early next year, so Neal seems to be busy on that front for the next few months, a, s well as organizing the release of Snow LIVE sometime in the next few months as well.

After the Winter, though, I'm sure Neal will be working on releasing Flying Colors 3, assuming Mike has his drums done between now and then, the rest of the band will likely work on finishing that up and probably release it mid-year 2018. After that, I'd suspect that Neal might try to convince Pete and Roine to do another Transatlantic album, perhaps bring the two of them in to write some stuff together, then bring Mike in when he's got time later on to work with them as a group. If Mike is going to be on the road the majority of next year with SOA, I'd be willing to bet he'd squeeze in some time for TA in the studio, but that's just my wishful thinking.

If Neal *DOES* decide to do Morsefest 2018, I can't imagine what he'd want to do. Since he skipped Lifeline in its entirety, we're caught up to Momentum and The Grand Experiment, the latter of which I doubt they'd play live in full considering they've been playing those songs over the last 2 years or so, and they're still pretty fresh in many fan's minds. Hearing Momentum Live would be neat, but we've already had Bill and Eric play those songs live with the band, except "Freak" and "Smoke And Mirrors", so aside from those two and "Doomsday Destiny", there isn't much incentive to play Momentum and TGE live at Morsefest 2018, though I'm sure plenty of fans would love to hear "World Without End" again.

Neal could always play V live with Spock's Beard, despite re-treading "At The End Of The Day" from a couple years ago at Morsefest 2018, but it would be a treat to hear all of those songs with the rest of SB again. Honestly, if Mike is going to be busy, another SB-centric Morsefest might be the way to go. One idea I've had would be a backwards-chronological journey of SB music, doing a couple tunes from each album, and by next year, SB13 will be out, so they'd start with that, then end the first night with "A Guy Named Sid" (which would be awesome to hear with Ted and Neal joining Nick on vocals), encore with "Wind At My Back" because, ya know he's gonna. Then on the 2nd night, open the show with all of V, go into intermission, then do a few more tunes from DFN, TKOS and BOD (closing the second set with "The Doorway"), then encore with "The Light". Again...just wishful thinking.

It'd be a real shame if there's no Morsefest next year, but if there's no way to get a viable show going, I guess there'd be no point.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2404 on: September 04, 2017, 07:31:55 PM »
Honestly, I don't think it matters what he plays, in regards to interest. Anyone who has gone to any Morsefest is in for the duration, work and traveling expenses permitting of course.  Everyone I talked to over the weekend pretty much said that. The hotel we stayed at had tons of Neal/prog fans, including Bill (!!) whom we saw Saturday afternoon right outside in front (we didn't stop to say hi since he already had close to a dozen fans talking him up). Both mornings, when we went downstairs for the free continental breakfast, there were Neal fans everywhere. It was fun talking to a bunch of them and exchanging cool stories about this song or that album.  :coolio

I just hope the band isn't put on hold waiting for Portnoy to find time to work it into his schedule.  It appears as if the NMB is musical priority number 1 for the other four guys, and I worry that since Eric is so much younger than the rest of them, that he could find a more enticing, lucrative and full time gig, especially given how much his profile has been raised in the last year. 

That Spock's Beard idea sounds good in theory, but as great as Neal still gets along with the guys, I can't see him dedicating (close to) half of a Morsefest to the albums they have done without him.  It's called MORSEfest for a reason! :P  It is and should be all about Neal's music.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2405 on: September 04, 2017, 07:48:25 PM »
today Randy did a Q&A on FB and he was asked:
Will there be a new NMB album in 2018 and will there be morsefest 2018?
And he replied:
Yes and I don't know
 :metal

This guys does not sleep

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2406 on: September 04, 2017, 07:57:17 PM »
I suspect Neal doesn't like to commit to Morsefest right away, given how many things have to fall into place to make it feasible. I remember there was still talk early this year about whether there would be one in 2017 or not, and the next thing you know it was announced.

Good to hear about 2018 and a new album!!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2407 on: September 04, 2017, 08:24:29 PM »
Honestly, I don't think it matters what he plays, in regards to interest. Anyone who has gone to any Morsefest is in for the duration, work and traveling expenses permitting of course.  Everyone I talked to over the weekend pretty much said that. The hotel we stayed at had tons of Neal/prog fans, including Bill (!!) whom we saw Saturday afternoon right outside in front (we didn't stop to say hi since he already had close to a dozen fans talking him up). Both mornings, when we went downstairs for the free continental breakfast, there were Neal fans everywhere. It was fun talking to a bunch of them and exchanging cool stories about this song or that album.  :coolio

This sounds amazing. I wish I had the money and time to devote to an adventure like this. I'm sure I would, but my finances go towards bills and other passions/hobbies as well, but I digress. Sounds like you had a great time meeting new fans and not just at the concert either.

I just hope the band isn't put on hold waiting for Portnoy to find time to work it into his schedule.  It appears as if the NMB is musical priority number 1 for the other four guys, and I worry that since Eric is so much younger than the rest of them, that he could find a more enticing, lucrative and full time gig, especially given how much his profile has been raised in the last year. 
today Randy did a Q&A on FB and he was asked:
Will there be a new NMB album in 2018 and will there be morsefest 2018?
And he replied:
Yes and I don't know
 :metal

This guys does not sleep

Glad to see they are at least "planning" for a new album next year. Now, Randy didn't seem to answer whether or not they would WRITE/RECORD an album next year, or if they'll RELEASE an album next year. Either way, I would assume that they would go about the sessions much in the same way the last one did - have Bill and Eric come out to join Neal for some writing, maybe have Randy, and write a bunch of stuff while Mike is busy with SOA. Then probably halfway through 2018, have some actual sessions with Mike to lay down his drum parts, then spend another few months to finish the album, release it by Christmas 2018, just in time to tour on it through 2019 (maybe start with another Cruise To The Edge, then tour in the Spring/Summer like they did this year).

I guess if Neal is looking to write another NMB album next year, the chances for new Transatlantic grow slimmer and slimmer, as any prog music he writes will likely be saved for NMB sessions, and between his upcoming Singer/Songwriter album and Flying Colors 3, how much more time might he even have for another album next year? Hmm...

That Spock's Beard idea sounds good in theory, but as great as Neal still gets along with the guys, I can't see him dedicating (close to) half of a Morsefest to the albums they have done without him.  It's called MORSEfest for a reason! :P  It is and should be all about Neal's music.
I had thought about that, but given that Neal had some part in two songs in the Post-Snow SB days, it'd be neat to hear him play them with the rest of the band ("The Emperor's Clothes" and "Afterthoughts" - actually a whole "Thoughts" suite would be awesome to hear). But you're probably right, but then again, who knows - has anyone ever asked Neal what he's thought of the SB albums made after his departure from the band? Either way, having SB in Morsefest again would be a great excuse to play "Falling For Forever" again!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2408 on: September 04, 2017, 08:36:28 PM »
As much as I love Transatlantic, I am okay with them staying in hiatus as long as the current version of the Neal Morse Band stays in tact.  It cannot be understated how much Bill and Eric bring to the table, and they need to ride that wave as much as possible while the band is still in prime form.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2409 on: September 04, 2017, 09:01:06 PM »
Props to the person who took this picture (of Jayda coming out to hug Neal at the end of Jayda, the song):

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2410 on: September 04, 2017, 09:19:03 PM »
As much as I love Transatlantic, I am okay with them staying in hiatus as long as the current version of the Neal Morse Band stays in tact.  It cannot be understated how much Bill and Eric bring to the table, and they need to ride that wave as much as possible while the band is still in prime form.

Totally agree. I personally thought 'Kaleidoscope' was the weakest TA effort.....not that there weren't great moments but all in all it was a pretty 'blah' effort.....when compared to the other albums.

That group that Neal has together right now is producing some fantastic music. SOAD is pretty incredible and i can't wait to see what they do next.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2411 on: September 04, 2017, 09:48:07 PM »

Totally agree. I personally thought 'Kaleidoscope' was the weakest TA effort.....not that there weren't great moments but all in all it was a pretty 'blah' effort.....when compared to the other albums.

That group that Neal has together right now is producing some fantastic music. SOAD is pretty incredible and i can't wait to see what they do next.

Yep, Kaleidoscope was really good, but not full of non-stop awe like the first three TA records. 

When it is all said and done, it is possible that Mike Portnoy was *gasp* right: The Similitude of a Dream might be Neal's best work to date.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2412 on: September 05, 2017, 02:30:25 AM »
The picture doesn't work for me.  :-\

EDIT: Now it does. That's just beautiful.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 11:01:32 AM by Mladen »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2413 on: September 05, 2017, 08:45:19 AM »

I'm on board with that.   

Online The Letter M

« Reply #2414 on: September 05, 2017, 09:40:07 AM »
I won't disagree with the notion that the Neal Morse Band, as it is now with Eric and Bill, isn't one of Neal's best line-ups, but part of me misses Transatlantic, and I've been wondering if they'll ever write together again.

I do think Neal should continue with his current line-up, though, and keep writing the kind of music he wants with them. Both TGE and TSOAD are fantastic albums, and I anticipate that their third outing together will be just as spectacular, but it might be hard to follow up an album like TSOAD.

-Marc.