Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 549520 times)

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1855 on: November 06, 2016, 09:31:22 AM »
Considering Neal Morse music ALWAYS sounds like him, no matter what band he is in, I think we're already splitting hairs. And if we're splitting hairs, I must say, this is not a solo release. It's an Neal Morse BAND release ;)

I would put this album way up there in quality. There are the distinct "Nealisms" but with Bill and Eric now part of the writing process, there is a different flavor to it(in a good way). Until this album, it was Neal's concepts and all the musicians had a little input. It started with The Grand Experiment, now all the members know each other better and songs like Ways of The Fool exist.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1856 on: November 06, 2016, 09:36:45 AM »
Considering Neal Morse music ALWAYS sounds like him, no matter what band he is in, I think we're already splitting hairs. And if we're splitting hairs, I must say, this is not a solo release. It's an Neal Morse BAND release ;)

The thing is, this is not thypical NM music (except for I am Running and Freedom songs as I mentioned before)

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1857 on: November 06, 2016, 11:58:12 AM »
I am not a massive NM fan or anything, I just happen to really, really like some of his releases. And to me the previous album is his best "solo" effort and I definitely think that album being a band effort helped a lot. I am looking forward to this one very much and thus far like each track released.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1858 on: November 06, 2016, 12:30:05 PM »

Technically, but it's still basically a Neal Morse album, just with more contributions than normal from his bandmates (according to every review).   To me, it's like differentiating between Devin Townsend and Devin Townsend Project; it's basically a Devin record, regardless of how much others contribute.  Same thing with Neal here. 

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1859 on: November 06, 2016, 03:20:39 PM »

Technically, but it's still basically a Neal Morse album, just with more contributions than normal from his bandmates (according to every review).   To me, it's like differentiating between Devin Townsend and Devin Townsend Project; it's basically a Devin record, regardless of how much others contribute.  Same thing with Neal here.

Same thing happened with Transatlantic and Flying Colors. MP even said, those three bands (NMB being the third) compose their music the same way.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1860 on: November 07, 2016, 08:04:27 AM »
Good song.  I am officially excited about this album.  Everything I have heard so far has been really good.  Far too early to make any solid predictions about how it will stand up to Neal's discography as a whole.  But I am already hearing plenty to take it far above Lifeline and ?, so I am happy.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1861 on: November 09, 2016, 06:37:56 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usaEiWDqIvw

ANOTHER new song. This one is really great. Quick and energetic.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1862 on: November 09, 2016, 07:42:45 PM »
The jazzy solo is really cool! The multiple vocals too :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1863 on: November 10, 2016, 09:54:52 AM »
That is fantastic.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1864 on: November 10, 2016, 11:36:41 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usaEiWDqIvw

ANOTHER new song. This one is really great. Quick and energetic.

Such a good song.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1865 on: November 10, 2016, 12:00:01 PM »
Does anyone know if the album is going to be available in iTunes? I don't mind buying physical music but it seems weird that we're less than 24 hours from release and its still not on the iTunes store yet. I like to download new albums at midnight and burn myself a copy for the car since record stores around me rarely have anything I want in stock on day one.

If its there somewhere and I'm just looking in the wrong place then shoot me a link.  :mehlin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1866 on: November 10, 2016, 04:38:52 PM »
That song did almost nothing for me.  Hopefully, it will grow on me.  And Portnoy's vocals didn't bother me at all; they were okay and not a detriment to the song at all. 

I will still get the album tomorrow when it's on sale, but my overall expectation are way down now after the handful of songs I've heard.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1867 on: November 10, 2016, 05:47:30 PM »
Does anyone know if the album is going to be available in iTunes? I don't mind buying physical music but it seems weird that we're less than 24 hours from release and its still not on the iTunes store yet. I like to download new albums at midnight and burn myself a copy for the car since record stores around me rarely have anything I want in stock on day one.

If its there somewhere and I'm just looking in the wrong place then shoot me a link.  :mehlin

I took this from MP's FB page

Interesting fact about The Similitude Of A Dream: we mastered 3 different versions!
The Vinyl version is split into 5 sides, the CD version is split into 2 discs, and the iTunes/digital version is 1 seamless listen.
And there are a few very subtle differences on all 3!! We are less than 24 hrs away... #TSOAD The Hype is Real!

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1868 on: November 10, 2016, 06:24:57 PM »

I took this from MP's FB page

Interesting fact about The Similitude Of A Dream: we mastered 3 different versions!
The Vinyl version is split into 5 sides, the CD version is split into 2 discs, and the iTunes/digital version is 1 seamless listen.
And there are a few very subtle differences on all 3!! We are less than 24 hrs away... #TSOAD The Hype is Real!

Wow, that's pretty interesting. I assume it's mainly the transitions between songs that are different, longer fadeouts/alternate endings maybe. Nice to see they paid that much attention to the little details as opposed to just putting the raw tracks on a vinyl and calling it a day like most bands do, regardless of whether or not it sounds pretty when the needle reaches the end of the track  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1869 on: November 10, 2016, 06:37:29 PM »
Imagine concept albums with no real stops on 8-track back in the day. :lol :lol

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1870 on: November 10, 2016, 09:34:39 PM »
Imagine concept albums with no real stops on 8-track back in the day. :lol :lol

What a spoiled millennial I am  :rollin

I can't believe how excited I am for this album. This week I ended up listening to The Light, The Whirlwind, Kaleidoscope, The Grand Experiment, Momentum, and Sola Scriptura in their entirety over about 3 days just out of sheer hype, and I've never had that strong of an urge to marathon Neal's stuff before.  I started out completely lukewarm to TSOAD when it was announced but now I just can't wait to dive in.  I remember the first time I listened to Scenes when I first got into Dream Theater and I'm having a similar level of excitement here. Damn you, Mike! 

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1871 on: November 10, 2016, 09:40:33 PM »
And, as usual, record store had it a day early. Picked up the standard edition jewelcase. Will listen tomorrow on my day off, hopefully.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline arkdtmp

• Eat My Ass and Balls
« Reply #1872 on: November 10, 2016, 11:28:33 PM »
Just heard the full thing and two songs in particular stand our from the rest: The Battle and The Confrontation. Y'all are gonna love it!

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1873 on: November 11, 2016, 01:30:22 AM »
Just went into iTunes to buy the album but it says "Partial Album" instead of the usual "Buy" button. What does that mean, is it being uploaded right now? :O
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1874 on: November 11, 2016, 05:56:15 AM »
Just went into iTunes to buy the album but it says "Partial Album" instead of the usual "Buy" button. What does that mean, is it being uploaded right now? :O

I noticed that, too.  You can buy each song individually, for 99 cents each, but you cannot buy it as a whole.  And amazon doesn't have it for sale digitally.  Splendid.  And I was looking forward to buying it first thing this morning and spinning it throughout the day at work when I had time. :censored

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1875 on: November 11, 2016, 06:05:09 AM »

I noticed that, too.  You can buy each song individually, for 99 cents each, but you cannot buy it as a whole.  And amazon doesn't have it for sale digitally.  Splendid.  And I was looking forward to buying it first thing this morning and spinning it throughout the day at work when I had time. :censored

You can get the album on MP3 or WAV over Radiant Records

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1877 on: November 11, 2016, 06:20:11 AM »

Neal Morse said this on his Facebook page:

Hi folks - there is an issue with iTunes, whereby it lists the album as "partial". This is an error on iTunes's part—all the songs are there. Because of the error, they must simply be purchased individually, though this is no different from buying the album as a whole—it just takes longer because of the extra clicks. We apologize for the inconvenience, and have been working with Apple since this morning to rectify the issue ASAP.
Please note the iTunes version is a special version of the album that is completely continuous. The same digital version will be available, later today, directly from Radiant Records in MP3 and uncompressed WAV files, both of which are compatible with iTunes and iOS. Thank you for your support.

I'm going to wait a little while until it is resolved, I want to buy the whole package at once.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1878 on: November 11, 2016, 06:33:01 AM »
Went to check it out on Spotify this morning and quickly remembered none of Neal's stuff is on there...

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1880 on: November 11, 2016, 03:43:41 PM »
Initial thoughts so far, though I'm only on track 18 of 23

Disc 1 is alright..  Not really sure about it yet but its not horrible. Just has to grow on me I guess.

Disc 2 is SO STRONG. Every song so far has been killer. Better flow and dynamics than the first disc I would say. Still have a few songs left but honestly I think disc 2 is already a 9/10 on first listen.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1881 on: November 11, 2016, 05:15:19 PM »
I REALLY hope I get this in the mail tomorrow.  The only reason I ordered from Radiant was b/c I thought I might get it a day or so early.  Now I'm in panic mode b/c I'm irrational and afraid the mail lost it!!!  Ok, I'm just irrational b/c I'm impatient!!!  But, if it doesn't arrive soon I will truly regret not just downloading from radiant or iTunes.  I need this album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1882 on: November 11, 2016, 05:42:08 PM »
Looks like the iTunes issue is still not resolved. Bummer.

I REALLY hope I get this in the mail tomorrow.  The only reason I ordered from Radiant was b/c I thought I might get it a day or so early.  Now I'm in panic mode b/c I'm irrational and afraid the mail lost it!!!  Ok, I'm just irrational b/c I'm impatient!!!  But, if it doesn't arrive soon I will truly regret not just downloading from radiant or iTunes.  I need this album.

I was burned by them several times back in the day in this regard, which is why I never order there anymore.  I've said it before, and it's worth repeating: it's a shame that a good and classy guy like Neal Morse has such a poorly-run online store.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1883 on: November 11, 2016, 06:20:58 PM »
Looks like the iTunes issue is still not resolved. Bummer.

I was burned by them several times back in the day in this regard, which is why I never order there anymore.  I've said it before, and it's worth repeating: it's a shame that a good and classy guy like Neal Morse has such a poorly-run online store.

You can get the MP3s or WAV file on Radiant Record site WAY cheaper than on iTunes

https://www.radiantrecords.com/products/634-the-neal-morse-band-the-similitude-of-a-dream.aspx

Offline Milzinga

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1884 on: November 11, 2016, 07:31:37 PM »

Me too, I was pretty disappointed I didn't receive it today. Neal really needs to step it up and ship them out a few days prior, especially considering today is a holiday in the US and mail isn't even delivered.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1885 on: November 12, 2016, 07:12:11 AM »
  I was pretty disappointed I didn't receive it today. Neal really needs to step it up and ship them out a few days prior, especially considering today is a holiday in the US and mail isn't even delivered.

I'm pretty surprised that they wouldn't set it up where anyone who buys a physical copy from Radiant can automatically get them as mp3 files as well.  Should be a no-brainer to make that an option for fans like yourself who are still waiting on the USPS.

You can get the MP3s or WAV file on Radiant Record site WAY cheaper than on iTunes

https://www.radiantrecords.com/products/634-the-neal-morse-band-the-similitude-of-a-dream.aspx

I ended up just buying them all individually on iTunes last night.

First listen, it sounded like a solid album. 

On my second listen, it is sounding a little better.

This will definitely take a handful or so of listens to really grasp it all.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1887 on: November 12, 2016, 11:28:17 AM »
This is gonna stake some time for me to grasp it all, but highlights so far:

-Makes No Sense - that melody will be stuck in my head all weekend.
-The Ways of a Fool - I kind of glossed over it when it was released online last week or whenever, but this is really good.  Major Genesis vibe, and when the guitar reprises the verse melody later in the song, that is killer.
-So Far Gone - the reprise of the "Makes No Sense" melody near the end is very cool.
-The Man in the Iron Mask - good rocking tune.
-Freedom Song - this foot-stomping tune with a country vibe is going to bring down the house live.

Time will tell how this stacks up to Neal's other solo/NMB records, but I am liking it a lot so far.

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #1888 on: November 12, 2016, 01:43:25 PM »
I honestly wasn't too jazzed about TGE. TSOAD is leaps and bounds better, though. Right now I can't honestly say that it has grabbed me more than The Whirlwind, which I thought was a phenomenal morse offering. I'd say it IS one of the best albums of their careers, and certainly the best of this particular line-up, but just a TOUCH oversold; and that's not bad, because I expected it to be massively, massively overhyped by Portnoy. I actually don't blame him for the way that he hyped it, as it is a phenomenal album. In some ways, it suffered, to me, a few of the same pitfalls that Astonishing (if we're going to make comparisons) experienced.

I do like disc 2 more than 1. The Battle was a huge piece of work and had me enthralled. So yeah, if you haven't went out and listened to this - you need to get on it. I think this will grow on me, and I wish that Portnoy would focus as much as possible on this particular band, because there's a lot of magic between these 5.

Edit: Also I'd just like to say that, in the way that Astonishing had LaBrie do those peculiar fast rap vocals for The Path That Divides (??) I really liked how the band did back and forth vocals on Confrontation. Bill/Eric really did add in a lot of color to the collective palette.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 01:48:38 PM by Ravenfoul »

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1889 on: November 12, 2016, 06:05:01 PM »
Just realized that the Freedom Song chorus is a reprise from the end of Ways of a Fool!   :)

Slave To Your Mind gave me chills. What a sick song. Almost sounds like an unused track from "The Lamb" by Genesis. Bill's vocals really sound like Peter Gabriel.