Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 549510 times)

Offline OpenYourEyes311

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1785 on: September 06, 2016, 09:00:53 AM »
How does Neal Morse's solo career compare to Spock's Beard (and DT, considering MP is in it)?

I would actually like to know the opposite. I know some Spock's stuff, but I only have the compilation, which I like (Neal's stuff, mostly). But I really love his solo career. My favorites include Testimony 2 and Sola Scriptura. The Grand Experiment is another beast entirely and is phenomenal. Compared to DT, it's a little bit more proggy, and a lot less 'metal' (save for Sola, for the most part). MP is MP and plays great throughout his solo stuff. I would (obviously) compare Neal's stuff to Transatlantic, which is on equal footing I would say. Unless it's Bridge Across Forever; nothing can touch that album.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 09:22:40 AM by OpenYourEyes311 »
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1786 on: September 06, 2016, 09:05:40 AM »
Neal Morse pretty much has one style he sticks to, so if you like his solo stuff I'm sure you'd like Spock's too. I'd say Spock's is even better because it sounds a lot more fresh. A bit less rehashing than on his solo albums.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1787 on: September 06, 2016, 09:20:08 AM »
Psssst...

https://www.radiantrecords.com/products/634-the-neal-morse-band-alive-again-dvd2cd-set-and-blu-ray.aspx

(disregard the text in the link, just click it)

The Similitude of a Dream
  Up and over... now the BIG ONE! The first of its kind. The juggernaut flagship masterwork from The Neal Morse Band -- The Similitude of a Dream. This is the double concept album fans of progressive rock have been waiting for, whether they know it or not.

This is the second studio release from the collective minds of prog legends Neal Morse and Mike Portnoy with their resident cohort Randy George and relative newcomers Eric Gillette and Bill Hubauer.

Mike Portnoy says, "OMG...I am BLOWN AWAY.. I am completely FLOORED...By the time I was rounding the album's grand finale, the goosebumps were so overwhelming I actually uncontrollably wept like a baby!!! (I swear.....) In my 30+ year career, I consider myself to have made 2 masterpiece concept albums: Dream Theater's Scenes From A Memory & Transatlantic's The Whirlwind...

Ladies & Gentlemen, In my opinion, we have ABSOLUTELY TOPPED them both! THIS is THE ALBUM of mine (& Neal's) careers...it's so monumentally EPIC and perfect in every way...."

Clocking in at over 100 minutes on 2 CDs, this amazing piece of prog storytelling will leave you breathless, exhilarated, amused, and fulfilled in a way that only inspired music can.
TRACK LISTING:

Disc 1

1.    Long Day     
2.    Overture     
3.    The Dream   
4.    City Of Destruction     
5.    We Have Got To Go     
6.    Makes No Sense   
7.    Draw The Line     
8.    The Slough     
9.    Back To The City   
10.  The Ways Of A Fool     
11.   So Far Gone
12.   Breath Of Angels               

TOTAL TIME: 51:59

Disc 2

1.   Slave To Your Mind             
2.   Shortcut To Salvation           
3.   The Man In The Iron Cage         
4.   The Road Called Home               
5.   Sloth                                             
6.   Freedom Song                             
7.   I'm Running                                 
8.   The Mask                                     
9.   Confrontation                                 
10. The Battle                                     
11. Broken Sky/Long Day Reprise     
TOTAL TIME: 54:36

The Similitude of a Dream is available in 3 formats:
1. Special Edition 3 Disc Digipack (2CDs and "The Making of a Dream" DVD)
2.  LP Vinyl with 3 LPS & 2 CDs included in the package
3. 2 CD regular version.
(SE and Vinyl versions available also as a special low priced bundle with Alive Again 2CD/DVD. These bundles will also include the free MP3 downloads and be eligible for the signed graphic. Alive Again will ship with your order, not before)
WANT
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1788 on: September 06, 2016, 09:49:02 AM »
Neal Morse pretty much has one style he sticks to, so if you like his solo stuff I'm sure you'd like Spock's too. I'd say Spock's is even better because it sounds a lot more fresh. A bit less rehashing than on his solo albums.

Even though I prefer Neal Morse solo over Spocks, I can agree with this.   There is a spontaneity and rawness to the Spocks Beard albums.  The other side to the coin is that his solo stuff sounds a lot more polished and the musical ideas seem more complete or 'finished'.   
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1789 on: September 06, 2016, 11:42:44 AM »
There is a spontaneity and rawness to the Spocks Beard albums.  The other side to the coin is that his solo stuff sounds a lot more polished and the musical ideas seem more complete or 'finished'.   

Interesting, can you elaborate on that?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1790 on: September 06, 2016, 01:16:30 PM »
There is a spontaneity and rawness to the Spocks Beard albums.  The other side to the coin is that his solo stuff sounds a lot more polished and the musical ideas seem more complete or 'finished'.   

Interesting, can you elaborate on that?

I think what he means is that the first 6 (especially the first 3) SB albums are pretty fresh, and for their time, were unlike any other prog band. Neal's sound was exploratory, not a lot of re-treading of ideas that he would grow comfortably into (things that made him a bit well-known, like multi-part epics with reprised themes, the occasional Spanish/Flamenco guitar section, and multi-part vocals), so a lot of the songs vary in theme, feel, sound, genre, and even among the first three albums, you hear a different sound from song to song but are all still identifiably (is that a word? lol) Neal's writing.

Even the debut is one of his strongest albums, especially having worked on it some years prior to recording and releasing it. The songs sound raw, but also polished, very complete and whole, but with that early 90's hard rock tinge that gives them a unique heaviness to them that isn't tied down to heavy metal or prog metal. To contrast that, though, there are some delicate moments. Listen to a song like "Go The Way You Go" or "Walking On The Wind", and you can understand how almost schizophrenic his music can be.

EDIT - It's kind of like diving back in time to a creator's early works. There's always that sort of "awe" and "magic" in hearing what they created before their works became more streamlined and polished. Neal's early work with SB is truly magnificent, and even within those 6 albums, he streamlined his writing, all the way up to V and Snow, two of his best albums with SB IMO.

If you've not checked out ANY of those 6 albums, I say definitely go in release order, just to get a sense of his chronology as a writer and performer. I doubt you'll be disappointed, especially if you already enjoy almost all of his post-SB solo albums, but do NOT forget his two solo albums released during his time with SB - the self-titled debut and It's Not Too Late, the former of which features a 20-minute, 4-part epic!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 01:27:45 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1791 on: September 06, 2016, 05:44:42 PM »
How does Neal Morse's solo career compare to Spock's Beard (and DT, considering MP is in it)?

Quality-wise, I think DT gets the edge (3rd favorite band), but solo Neal and Spock's (both in the bottom half of my top 10) are not far behind.

As for as Neal vs Spock's stylistically, I think others have already summed it up pretty well, but I would submit that Spock's was quirkier and more fun, while Neal's solo stuff is more epic, in length and in scope, most of the time.  Neal's solo prog albums tend to all be pretty samey (symphonic prog rock to the max), but he does it so well that many of us simply do not care. His music is ear candy.

Can't wait to hear the new one.  :coolio

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1792 on: September 06, 2016, 06:21:46 PM »
Those song titles have pulled me into their tractor beam.  This is officially the most anticipated album in quite some time for me (The Astonishing was also, can't say I would be able to really quantify my excitement for either but I usually like a Neal album more than a DT album).  Literally the best year ever for me for new music.  I swear like almost every band I really like has something out this year.  Two more to go, Theocracy and Neal Morse Band.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1793 on: September 06, 2016, 06:25:15 PM »
The thing with Neal Morse is that he never really evolved past the first Spock's album. He found a winning formula and stuck pretty faithfully to it his whole career. To many people, The Light is the best thing he (or Spock's) ever did. So it's a double edged sword. On one hand, it can be pretty exhausting listening to a lot of his music at once, as it can get a bit same-y. On the other hand, he maintains a high level of consistency and, like I said, it was a winning formula to begin with so it's still all quality stuff. So there's a ton of enjoyable music out there from him. I'm still discovering albums with some real gems.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1794 on: September 06, 2016, 11:23:56 PM »
So no bonus tracks on the 3-disc? Because That makes me happy. I hate paying so much more just because there's a DVD I'll never watch when I just want the five extra songs.  :lol 23 tracks is awesome enough!
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1795 on: September 07, 2016, 04:12:50 PM »
So I googled the album title, something I didn't think of doing a couple of days ago, and came upon this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pilgrim%27s_Progress

The Pilgrim's Progress from This World to That Which Is to Come; Delivered under the Similitude of a Dream is a 1678 Christian allegory written by John Bunyan. It is regarded as one of the most significant works of religious English literature,[1][2][3][4] has been translated into more than 200 languages, and has never been out of print.[5][6]

I'm curious if the album is a direct adaptation of the allegory, or if it is simply inspired by it. It wouldn't be the first time Neal's been influenced by history (Sola Scriptura), or religious text/writings (?), so it'll be interesting to see what "The Pilgrim's Progress" has to do with this new album...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1796 on: September 07, 2016, 04:39:45 PM »
I'm hoping the lyrics are more spiritual than religious, like his last few solo albums, but either way, it won't ruin how I view it.

Note: When I say "solo albums," I am including the Neal Morse Band under that banner, for the sake of simplicity.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1797 on: September 07, 2016, 04:43:16 PM »
I'm hoping the lyrics are more spiritual than religious, like his last few solo albums, but either way, it won't ruin how I view it.

Note: When I say "solo albums," I am including the Neal Morse Band under that banner, for the sake of simplicity.

I am hoping that too, something more along the lines of Kaleidoscope or the last two albums, but given the nature of this album compared to his last two, I think the concept was probably all penned by Neal, with only the others input on the music, unlike TGE, which I think may have had lyrics by Eric and/or Bill.

Like you, though, I won't let an overtly religious concept ruin the album for me, especially since I *love* One and ?. If TSOAD is more like those two, I'll be happy, because while they're religious in nature, they're not preachy (like parts of Testimony), so I can deal with some "Jesus" and "God" in and among the lyrics if they're used as a part of the story.

-Marc.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1798 on: September 07, 2016, 04:44:12 PM »
I noticed the "Pilgrim's Progress" thing too (well, I didn't but I sent my sister the song titles and she immediately thought of it).  I'm guessing (obviously only speculation) that it will be on a similar level lyrically in spiritual terms as Snow or maybe The Grand Experiment.  Time will tell... (roughly two months)

I am pretty confident the concept came from Neal.  I feel like when they first recorded basic tracks and Mike was already praising the album, it was some time after that where Neal was tweeting about working on lyrics.  Of course it could have just meant he was just tweaking them.  All speculation.

Agreed with Marc, I love the lyrics on the last two solo discs and Kaleidoscope.  Although I like Christian lyrics too.  Not sure I have a strong preference but I probably lean towards vague spiritual lyrics.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1799 on: September 08, 2016, 07:31:06 AM »
So I googled the album title, something I didn't think of doing a couple of days ago, and came upon this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pilgrim%27s_Progress

The Pilgrim's Progress from This World to That Which Is to Come; Delivered under the Similitude of a Dream is a 1678 Christian allegory written by John Bunyan. It is regarded as one of the most significant works of religious English literature,[1][2][3][4] has been translated into more than 200 languages, and has never been out of print.[5][6]

I'm curious if the album is a direct adaptation of the allegory, or if it is simply inspired by it. It wouldn't be the first time Neal's been influenced by history (Sola Scriptura), or religious text/writings (?), so it'll be interesting to see what "The Pilgrim's Progress" has to do with this new album...

-Marc.
I thought that title sounded familiar, but I couldn't place it, and I didn't bother to google it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1800 on: September 09, 2016, 08:09:57 AM »
TODAY IS THE DAY! For the folks pre-ordering this morning, best of luck on those trying to get in the first 200 pre-orders for that exclusive signed Neal lyric sheet photograph (or whatever it is). I would try, but 1) I don't have the funds right now to place a pre-order, and 2) I'm ok with missing out on yet ANOTHER signed object by Neal Morse (I've got like a dozen signed things by Neal by now, I'm sure lol).

https://teamrock.com/news/2016-09-09/the-neal-morse-band-issue-long-day-overture-lyric-video

New article published about an hour ago where Neal talks a bit about the album's origins, the music, and more. Also included is a YouTube link to the first two tracks' lyric video! I'm gonna give it ONE LISTEN, then wait 2 months before hearing it again with the full album. Tempting to spin it more, but I want the album to be as fresh as possible when 11/11 rolls around.

EDIT - listened to the songs on YouTube....they're pretty good. Typical Morse, but that's typically good.

SPOILERS?! I GUESS....

Lots of strong melodies strewn about the Overture, which I am sure will all be revisited in their full, proper songs later on in the album. There's one part near the end of the Overture that reminds me a lot of the end of "Stagnation" by Genesis, and then the 12-string guitars at the very end that fade into the next track that we don't get are kind of Genesis-y too. I wonder how much Genesis sound we'll get across this album or if this is it? Hmmm... this will be a long 2 months to wait for this album.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 08:26:10 AM by The Letter M »

Online Skeever

« Reply #1801 on: September 09, 2016, 08:56:51 AM »
Sounds exactly how I would expect a Neal Morse tune to sound, despite the Neal Morse Band rebranding.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1802 on: September 09, 2016, 09:06:29 AM »
I like the album artwork better without the band name/album title.

Online countoftuscany42

« Reply #1803 on: September 09, 2016, 09:11:39 AM »
vinyl version preordered  :tup

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1804 on: September 09, 2016, 05:17:59 PM »
Intro sounds a little like SDoIT Overture. The whole song sounds like DT a lot actually (that may be largely due to MP, though). Really like it, I'll make sure to listen to more Neal Morse sometime.

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1805 on: September 09, 2016, 05:51:50 PM »
Intro sounds a little like SDoIT Overture. The whole song sounds like DT a lot actually (that may be largely due to MP, though). Really like it, I'll make sure to listen to more Neal Morse sometime.

I can assure you that MP did not come up with the song structure.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1806 on: September 09, 2016, 10:24:38 PM »
I'm sure I will love this album, but just once I would love for Neal to do not stick to his usual concept album format (overture following a short singing song at the beginning, the overture featuring the 144 melodies we will hear throughout the album, the last song being a giant reprise of a musical theme we've already heard).  Think about classic concept albums like The Lamb and The Wall, which had finales that didn't feel the need to beat us over the head with an over the top epic reprisal of a theme we've already heard.  Granted, Neal does it well, and I am sure I will love it, but something a little different would be nice for once...

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1807 on: September 10, 2016, 04:52:17 AM »

I can assure you that MP did not come up with the song structure.

Nah, I meant the drumming.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1808 on: September 10, 2016, 06:00:06 PM »
Love the new song!!!!  Can't really think of anything negative to say about it, and all my other thoughts have already been said (mainly it reminds me of Genesis in many parts).

Offline MS394

« Reply #1809 on: October 11, 2016, 09:19:42 PM »
New video out today for "City of Destruction".

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1810 on: October 12, 2016, 11:07:10 AM »
I listened to it once and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1811 on: October 12, 2016, 02:04:35 PM »
Yeah, City of Destruction was nice but it's no game changer so far (making reference to Portnoy's comments of this being THE album of his career). I know I'm gonna enjoy it (as I usually enjoy NM's albums), but I feel that the only way he can make something that will beat everything before it is to try a lot of new things, which he hasn't done in quite some years. Even MP, whose drumming I've always enjoyed thoroughly, feels like he's doing that same thing he's been doing with NM for 10+ years. I want something that surprises me, something unexpected, something fresh; we've had our fair share of prog epics, beautiful little songs and whatnot with NM; time for a change.

That's my take on the NM album. As I said, I know I'm gonna enjoy it, but I'm not getting my hopes so high.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1812 on: October 12, 2016, 07:16:57 PM »
DarkLord_Lalinc, well said. 

I liked most of that song, but thought the chorus was a bit lacking; I am sure it will grow on me.  I thought the ending was very nice. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1813 on: October 13, 2016, 08:12:27 AM »
I liked it a lot.  And I don't think "game changer" and an artist's subjective belief that an album is the "album of his career" are necessarily the same thing. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1814 on: October 13, 2016, 08:21:56 AM »
I liked it a lot.  And I don't think "game changer" and an artist's subjective belief that an album is the "album of his career" are necessarily the same thing.
Agreed, but Portnoy has said that in his book this album surpasses both Scenes from a Memory and The Whirlwind (which he considered the best albums of his career before this one); so that sounds a little bit more serious than the 'my newest album is my best so far' judgement.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1815 on: October 13, 2016, 08:28:36 AM »
I hear you.  But either way, I'm not fussed about it and will be more than satisfied if it ends up "only" being "very good."  And given that it's Neal Morse, I think the odds are in my favor on that one.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1816 on: October 13, 2016, 02:01:27 PM »
Yeah, City of Destruction was nice but it's no game changer so far (making reference to Portnoy's comments of this being THE album of his career). I know I'm gonna enjoy it (as I usually enjoy NM's albums), but I feel that the only way he can make something that will beat everything before it is to try a lot of new things, which he hasn't done in quite some years. Even MP, whose drumming I've always enjoyed thoroughly, feels like he's doing that same thing he's been doing with NM for 10+ years. I want something that surprises me, something unexpected, something fresh; we've had our fair share of prog epics, beautiful little songs and whatnot with NM; time for a change.

That's my take on the NM album. As I said, I know I'm gonna enjoy it, but I'm not getting my hopes so high.

Good post. I just listened to the song and wholeheartedly agree.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1817 on: October 13, 2016, 03:50:14 PM »
The only part I really enjoyed of this new track was that outro bit. :/
Granted, this isn't the only NM song that I think is a turd, and I LOVE Neal's stuff. With over (or just under?) 2 hours worth of music on this album, there's bound to be more than a few 3-5 minute stretches of music that dont do anything for everyone, but it'll probably be good.

Long Day/Overture was pretty cool, but again, not amazing.

But for every "Agenda", there's a "Waterfall" and an "Alive Again" and a "The Call", so no worries.
I do feel like MP probably hyped this album up a little too much, but it's way too early to judge, especially with songs out of context in a concept album no less.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1818 on: October 13, 2016, 04:58:51 PM »
Being that this is a concept album, I'm really limiting myself to how many times I hear these preview tracks - once and once only, before the release.

If this was just another collection of individual songs with no connection to each other, I'd be ok with spinning them a few more times, but because the concept is a large part of the album, I want to hear the whole thing and judge it that way, not just one song at a time, which might taint my view of the whole thing later on.

-Marc.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1819 on: October 18, 2016, 09:44:28 AM »
I thought the video for City of Destruction was well made.

But I didn't like the song very much at all.