Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 549486 times)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1750 on: August 12, 2016, 07:42:43 AM »

11/11 #TSOAD

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1751 on: August 12, 2016, 08:58:25 AM »
TSOAD?

The _____ Of A _____?

November 11th, eh? Interesting cover. It doesn't look like Hugh Syme, though, but I might be surprised. Neal said the cover would be done by a very famous prog album cover artists, so my first thought was Syme, but this isn't his usual style, given the covers he's done for bands like DT, Neal Morse, and Flying Colors.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1752 on: August 12, 2016, 10:45:29 AM »
I desperately need more information.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1753 on: August 28, 2016, 12:09:51 PM »
Neal has posted pics on FB recently, alluding to some Radiant Records school sessions. Hopefully, he is teaching the people who run the day-to-day operations to do a better job. :lol :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1754 on: August 28, 2016, 12:14:07 PM »
Oh yea, it's a prog music summer camp he's doing. Actually seemed pretty cool.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1755 on: August 28, 2016, 02:03:23 PM »
My guess: The Seeds of a Dream. Proggy, yes. But Morsey?

Offline ytsejam58

« Reply #1756 on: August 28, 2016, 10:30:47 PM »
Going from the original post, I heard of Neal Morse through Mike Portnoy. My first encounter from him was on the Flying Colors live in Europe album. The voice sounded familiar and I realized that he sung Dance on the Volcano on Jordan Rudess' cover album. From there I learned that neal morse was also in Transatlantic with Mike Portnoy and that he had a whole bunch of solo albums too! (I was most interested in the ones involving MP) I'm not a christian but I do appreciate the subtle hints to christianity in Transatlantic and the not-so-subtle nods in his solo albums. The most christian thing I have from him is the MorseFest 2014 CD DVD set. I can tell that he has been through a lot and he does give off that wise fatherly figure vibe. That makes Portnoy they crazy uncle XD.

Offline weirdo

« Reply #1757 on: August 29, 2016, 03:57:23 PM »
https://www.radiantrecords.com/default.aspx

Radiant Records is doing another 3-day sale this monday-wednesday! If you order during the sale you also have a chance to get a suprise gift with your order.

I just bought Neal's Songs from November, Live Momentum (3CD/2DVD), Transatlantic's Kaleidoscope and Whirld Tour (3CD) for ~8€ + 21€ international shipping (that would be about $9 + $24). :metal The shipping costs probably a lot less if you ship to US. At the previous sale a couple months back I got KaLiveoscope (3CD/DVD), Transatlantic Live in Europe (2CD), So Many Roads (3CD), Testimony 2, Spock's Beard's Don't Try This At Home and Cover 2 Cover for <10€ + 22€ shipping. Must have been the best deal of my life (regarding music). Especially since Transatlantic and Neal Morse are probably two of my very favourite bands/artists atm.

But seriously, what's up with Radiant Records? I mean, the last sale they had the Live momentum for sale for something like $15 iirc (which is a bargain imo, considering its a 5-disc set), and now they have dropped that to $5. It's like they're desperately trying to get rid of stuff  :lol . And testimony 2 for $2? And kaleidoscope for $1???  :eek

Offline weirdo

« Reply #1758 on: August 29, 2016, 04:12:02 PM »
TSOAD? Hmmm......

*edit. I tried to add a pic, but apparently I didn't do it correctly because it doesn't show.. Was just trying to make some lame ass System of a Down reference ::)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 04:24:41 PM by weirdo »

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1759 on: August 29, 2016, 04:16:47 PM »
I'll throw my WAG (wild ass guess) out there.  TSOAD = The Source of All Dreams.

I know, I know, probably a weak attempt.  Can't wait to find out more information about this album!

Offline weirdo

« Reply #1760 on: August 29, 2016, 04:27:22 PM »
I'll throw my WAG (wild ass guess) out there.  TSOAD = The Source of All Dreams.

I know, I know, probably a weak attempt.  Can't wait to find out more information about this album!

No, I think that would actually make an awesome album title! But it could be anything though. I'm not even gonna try

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1761 on: September 04, 2016, 09:43:21 PM »
From Mike Portnoy's Facebook page just a bit ago:

OMG...I am BLOWN AWAY....

I know I've been posting teases for months throughout the making of this album, but I just spent the last 1hr & 50mins listening to the completely finished, final mastered new Neal Morse Band double concept album in its entirety and I am completely FLOORED...
By the time I was rounding the album's grand finale, the goosebumps were so overwhelming I actually uncontrollably wept like a baby!!! (I swear.....)

In my 30+ year career, I consider myself to have made 2 masterpiece concept albums: Dream Theater's Scenes From A Memory & Transatlantic's The Whirlwind...

Ladies & Gentlemen, In my opinion, we have ABSOLUTELY TOPPED them both! THIS is THE ALBUM of mine (& Neal's) careers...it's is so monumentally EPIC and perfect in every way....

I will be so bold as to put my balls on the table and say I think this album can even sit side by side with The Who's Tommy & Quadrophenia, Genesis' The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway and Pink Floyd's The Wall...

Yes, I said it!!! : )

Thank you to Neal Morse, Randy George, Eric Gillette & Bill Hubauer for the honor of writing and performing such incredible music with you and to Jerry Guidroz and Rich Mouser for making it sound so amazing...

The official Press Release with more info on this incredible album, as well as US & European Tour Dates, is COMING THIS WEEK!!! So stay tuned for more info....
WOW.....
11/11 #TSOAD

Lots of hype from him regarding this album, and knowing how much of a fan of music he is, these are big words, comparing this album to other great concept albums. He is certainly excited for this 110 minute album, though I'm trying not to raise my expectations higher for this one, but I'm sure it'll get more spins than DT's Astonishing has from me this year.

Either way, looking forward to the press release later this week!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1762 on: September 04, 2016, 10:21:20 PM »
I could swear he's given similar hype speeches about other albums he's done. I know I've seen him say that "album of my career" thing before. :lol

Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1763 on: September 04, 2016, 10:27:50 PM »
Well, he's got his balls on the table. So there's that.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1764 on: September 04, 2016, 10:46:30 PM »
Let's pump the brakes, Mike.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1765 on: September 04, 2016, 10:52:55 PM »
I have no doubt that this will be great, but he definitely needs to simmer down with the hype. He's gonna make it to where expectations will be too high for a lot of fans. 

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1766 on: September 04, 2016, 11:34:56 PM »
I at least appreciate his enthusiasm. But any fans who take his words with anything more than a grain of salt are delusional and its their own fault if they end up disappointed. Of course Portnoy is going to say it's his best work, it's the musician's job to say that about every album.

What I find more questionable is Portnoy mentioning The Whirlwind in the same breath as Scenes From a Memory. The Whirlwind was decent but it was far from a masterpiece IMO. I hope this upcoming album is at least a step above that.

Neal and Mike both have a knack for strong conceptual work and there were some glimmers of brilliance on The Grand Experiment that showed potential for Neal Morse to do something at the level of his pre-Testimony days. So if any album has the potential to be great, this is it. I'm not going to raise my expectations that much but I'm definitely more excited for this album than previous Morse related albums.

Edit: Some replies to comments on his facebook

Quote from: Mike Portnoy
Well, this is mine and Neal's 18th studio album together! Looks like you have ALOT of catching up to do... : )
That's pretty crazy, I had no idea.

Nope...the Neal Morse BAND is exactly that (a "band")...the contributions by EVERYBODY in the band (as well as Eric and Bills lead vocals) make this album different from any other previously Neal "solo" album...this is more in line with Transatlantic

This I can believe. One thing The Grand Experiment really had going for it was that it felt like there were more influences than just Neal. I'm sure it'll still be Morse dominated but hopefully has more of the other personalities mixed in.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 11:40:40 PM by Mosh »
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1767 on: September 05, 2016, 02:32:04 AM »
I was kind of underwhelmed by The Grand Experiment. A lot of it lacked the beauty and warmth of classic Neal Morse stuff. It makes me wonder if the involvement of other band members takes away from the experience more than it adds to it. Maybe the stuff Eric or Bill contributed wasn't as great as Neal's stuff. The new album might answer that question.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1768 on: September 05, 2016, 04:53:12 AM »
Nope...the Neal Morse BAND is exactly that (a "band")...the contributions by EVERYBODY in the band (as well as Eric and Bills lead vocals) make this album different from any other previously Neal "solo" album...this is more in line with Transatlantic

This I can believe. One thing The Grand Experiment really had going for it was that it felt like there were more influences than just Neal. I'm sure it'll still be Morse dominated but hopefully has more of the other personalities mixed in.

I guess it's like James LaBrie's 'solo' project, where they act as a collaborative band and the name is just to attract attention. Also, I really need to listen to the Neal Morse solo stuff and band.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1769 on: September 05, 2016, 07:50:15 AM »

Well, this is mine and Neal's 18th studio album together! Looks like you have ALOT of catching up to do... : )

I am probably just having a brain fart, but I am drawing a blank on the 18th one...

Transatlantic (4)
Flying Colors (2)
Neal Morse (11 - counting the new one and the Cover to Cover albums)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1770 on: September 05, 2016, 08:22:46 AM »

I am probably just having a brain fart, but I am drawing a blank on the 18th one...

Transatlantic (4)
Flying Colors (2)
Neal Morse (11 - counting the new one and the Cover to Cover albums)

Hmmm, no, I came up with 17 as well. I wonder if Mike just miscounted, or if he's counting something that we're not thinking of...

-Marc.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1771 on: September 05, 2016, 09:28:24 AM »
Maybe he's counting Neal's cameo in SC? That's the only thing I can think of.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1772 on: September 05, 2016, 02:59:27 PM »
From Mike on Facebook:

With Transatlantic:
2000 - SMPTe
2001 - Live In America
2001 - Bridge Across Forever
2003 - Live In Europe
2009 – The Whirlwind
2010 – An Evening With Transatlantic: Whirld Tour
2011 – More Never Is Enough: Live in Manchester
2014 - Kaleidoscope
2014 - KaLIVEoscope: Live in Tilburg

With Neal Morse/ The Neal Morse Band:
2003 - Testimony
2004 - One
2005 - ?
2006 - Cover To Cover
2007 - Sola Scriptura
2008 – Lifeline
2011 – Testimony 2
2011 - Testimony 2: Live in Los Angeles
2012 - Cover 2 Cover
2012 - Momentum
2012 - The Prog World Orchestra: A Proggy Christmas
2013 - Live Momentum
2015 - The Grand Experiment
2015 - MorseFest 2014
2016 - Alive Again
2016 - TSOAD

With Flying Colors:
2012 - Flying Colors
2013 - Live In Europe
2014 - Second Nature
2015 - Second Flight: Live at the Z7

With Yellow Matter Custard:
2003 - One Night In New York City
2011 – One More Night In New York City

I think he's counting the Prog World Orchestra album, along with the Cover albums. All of which I would not count as "studio albums," but whatever.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1773 on: September 05, 2016, 03:47:07 PM »
Well they actually were recorded in the studio.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1774 on: September 05, 2016, 03:58:51 PM »
Updating my guess for album name...  Picture looks like a book, so I'm guessing it will be "The Story of..." I just can't figure what the last two words would be.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1775 on: September 05, 2016, 04:00:28 PM »
BTW, The Neil Morse Band is playing RoSfest next May.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1776 on: September 05, 2016, 04:02:27 PM »
Well they actually were recorded in the studio.

:lol True, though the Cover albums were more so compilations than normal LPs, but still, all songs were recorded in the studio nonetheless.

And I completely forgot about the Prog World Orchestra's Proggy Christmas album! If this was November or December, I'd totally remember it, but outside of those two months of the year, I never play it, so it's "out of sight, out of mind" to me.

-Marc.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1777 on: September 05, 2016, 08:32:48 PM »
The Screams of The Damned?

Idunno, what if Neal decided it was time to try death metal?

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1778 on: September 05, 2016, 08:54:51 PM »
I dunno, that sounds kinda divisive and controversial.  But I LOVE it!  Part of me things Neal likes to use non-everyday words so I also wonder if the "O" is for Odyssey.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1779 on: September 05, 2016, 10:18:35 PM »
I'm also partial to "The Smell of Anal Droppings".

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1780 on: September 06, 2016, 07:09:42 AM »
The BIG announcement is coming!
PRE-ORDERS BEGIN FRIDAY, 9/9 at 9AM CDT.
"Boys, I think we just made the album of our careers." - Mike Portnoy
This epic album will be available in 3 formats. A Special Edition 3 Disc Digipack (2CDs and a "Making of" DVD), 2 CD standard version, and a 3 LP Vinyl with 2 CDs included!
***The first 200 pre-orders will receive a 5" x 7" exclusive framable photo of an actual lyric sheet from the album signed by Neal Morse! This rare collectors item is only available through Radiant Records.***
ALSO: Pre-order the Special Edition 2CD/DVD Digipack or the 3 LP Vinyl edition, and receive 2 free exclusive MP3 downloads from the album when you order!
ALBUM RELEASE DATE: November 11, 2016
NMB TOUR DATES 2017
(North American Dates)
Jan 15 Nashville - Venue TBA
Jan 17 Seattle - Triple Door: https://tickets.thetripledoor.net/eventperformances.asp
Jan 18 San Francisco - Regency Ballroom: https://axs.com/ev…/313671/tony-levin-neal-morse-band-tickets
Jan 21 LA- Center Theater, Whittier: www.calprog.com
Jan 22 Phoenix - Nesbitt-Elliott Playhouse Theater
Jan 24 Denver - Oriental Theater
Jan 25 Dallas - Curtain Club: https://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/event/1306357\
Jan 27 Chicago - Arcada Theater: https://tix.extremetix.com/webtix/928
Jan 28 Cleveland - Beachland Ballroom
Jan 29 Toronto - Mod Room
Jan 31 Montreal - Club Soda: https://www.clubsoda.ca
Feb 01 Quebec City - Salle Jean Paul Tardif: https://thepointofsale.com/tickets/jlc160826001/
Feb 02 NYC - Highline Ballroom: https://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/SaleEventDetail
Feb 03 Washington DC - State Theater: https://order.ticketalternative.com/…/ncomme…/SEGetEventInfo…
Feb 07 - 11 CTTE (Cruise To the Edge... leaving from Tampa FL)
(Europe Dates)
March 22 Barcelona - Apolo: https://www.ticktackticket.com/entradas/goto_list.do
March 23 Milan - Venue TBA
March 24 Zurich - Z7
March 25 Aschaffenburg - Colo-Saal
March 26 Berlin - Lido
March 28 Warsaw - Progresja Music Zone
March 29 Hamburg - Markthalle
March 30 Verviers - Spirit of 66
March 31 Cologne - Stollwerck
April 01 Malmo - KB: https://burl.nu/3vrk4s
April 02 Tilburg - O13: https://www.ticketmaster.nl/event/171647
April 04 Luxembourg - Rockhal - https://www.rockhal.lu/…/rock-p…/show/detail/neal-morse-band/
April 05 Paris - Divan Du Monde: https://www.ticketmaster.fr/…/neal-morse-band…/idmanif/382862
April 06 Birmingham - O2 Academy 2: https://www.academymusicgroup.com/…/855424/neal-morse-band-…
April 07 Manchester - O2 ABC 1: https://www.livenation.co.uk/…/the-…/manchester/2017-04-08/en
April 08 Glasgow - O2 Ritz: https://www.livenation.co.uk/…/the-nea…/glasgow/2017-04-07/en
April 09 London - O2 Islington Academy: https://www.academymusicgroup.com/…/855613/neal-morse-band-…
April 12 Tel Aviv - Bascula Club: https://rockstage.co.il/tickets/nmb.html
May 6th RosFest (Gettysburg PA) www.rosfest.com
MORE INFO TO COME...STAND BY....

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1781 on: September 06, 2016, 07:14:45 AM »
Cool. I can walk to that theater from my house, maybe I'll check them out this time if the album is good.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1782 on: September 06, 2016, 07:22:26 AM »
Psssst...

https://www.radiantrecords.com/products/634-the-neal-morse-band-alive-again-dvd2cd-set-and-blu-ray.aspx

(disregard the text in the link, just click it)

The Similitude of a Dream
  Up and over... now the BIG ONE! The first of its kind. The juggernaut flagship masterwork from The Neal Morse Band -- The Similitude of a Dream. This is the double concept album fans of progressive rock have been waiting for, whether they know it or not.

This is the second studio release from the collective minds of prog legends Neal Morse and Mike Portnoy with their resident cohort Randy George and relative newcomers Eric Gillette and Bill Hubauer.

Mike Portnoy says, "OMG...I am BLOWN AWAY.. I am completely FLOORED...By the time I was rounding the album's grand finale, the goosebumps were so overwhelming I actually uncontrollably wept like a baby!!! (I swear.....) In my 30+ year career, I consider myself to have made 2 masterpiece concept albums: Dream Theater's Scenes From A Memory & Transatlantic's The Whirlwind...

Ladies & Gentlemen, In my opinion, we have ABSOLUTELY TOPPED them both! THIS is THE ALBUM of mine (& Neal's) careers...it's so monumentally EPIC and perfect in every way...."

Clocking in at over 100 minutes on 2 CDs, this amazing piece of prog storytelling will leave you breathless, exhilarated, amused, and fulfilled in a way that only inspired music can.
TRACK LISTING:

Disc 1

1.    Long Day     
2.    Overture     
3.    The Dream   
4.    City Of Destruction     
5.    We Have Got To Go     
6.    Makes No Sense   
7.    Draw The Line     
8.    The Slough     
9.    Back To The City   
10.  The Ways Of A Fool     
11.   So Far Gone
12.   Breath Of Angels               

TOTAL TIME: 51:59

Disc 2

1.   Slave To Your Mind             
2.   Shortcut To Salvation           
3.   The Man In The Iron Cage         
4.   The Road Called Home               
5.   Sloth                                             
6.   Freedom Song                             
7.   I'm Running                                 
8.   The Mask                                     
9.   Confrontation                                 
10. The Battle                                     
11. Broken Sky/Long Day Reprise     
TOTAL TIME: 54:36

The Similitude of a Dream is available in 3 formats:
1. Special Edition 3 Disc Digipack (2CDs and "The Making of a Dream" DVD)
2.  LP Vinyl with 3 LPS & 2 CDs included in the package
3. 2 CD regular version.
(SE and Vinyl versions available also as a special low priced bundle with Alive Again 2CD/DVD. These bundles will also include the free MP3 downloads and be eligible for the signed graphic. Alive Again will ship with your order, not before)

-----------------------------------

And, as I have not yet ordered Alive Again, I think I shall order the new album with it in the specially priced bundle for $44.99 (not a bad deal for two 2CD/1DVD sets), which saves me a little under $10 over ordering both sets separately!

Interesting track list, and of course, the album ends with a reprise of the opening track! Typical Neal Morse, but there's some comfort in that, or maybe that's just me... Either way, 23 new tracks to dig into in about two months', though I'm not sure I can wait that long!

-Marc.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1783 on: September 06, 2016, 07:27:59 AM »
That Alive Again bundle is a pretty good deal.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1784 on: September 06, 2016, 08:09:30 AM »
How does Neal Morse's solo career compare to Spock's Beard (and DT, considering MP is in it)?