Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 549439 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1435 on: January 07, 2015, 09:09:39 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JkEf9qsAYE

New music video for the album's title track! Reminds me of classic SB for some reason.

-Marc.

Wow, I REALLY like it!  :tup

I have only recently realized that, while Neal is one of my favorite artists and I love a lot of Neal's albums, I cannot really point to a lot of individual songs on his solo work that I truly love.  When he is working on a grand concept, like Testimony, One, or SS, the songs themselves shine in the context of the entire concept, even if they may not be strong standalone songs.  This is one of the things that made Lifeline such a disappointment for me.  I feel that that turned around a bit with Momentum.  There are some really strong individual songs on that album.  This new one seems to fit the bill as well, which makes me more optimistic about this album than I previously was.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1436 on: January 07, 2015, 09:56:00 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JkEf9qsAYE

New music video for the album's title track! Reminds me of classic SB for some reason.

-Marc.

Wow, I REALLY like it!  :tup

I have only recently realized that, while Neal is one of my favorite artists and I love a lot of Neal's albums, I cannot really point to a lot of individual songs on his solo work that I truly love.  When he is working on a grand concept, like Testimony, One, or SS, the songs themselves shine in the context of the entire concept, even if they may not be strong standalone songs.  This is one of the things that made Lifeline such a disappointment for me.  I feel that that turned around a bit with Momentum.  There are some really strong individual songs on that album.  This new one seems to fit the bill as well, which makes me more optimistic about this album than I previously was.

Good point. A lot of what the first five SB albums did was make songs that really stood out from each other, especially the first three albums, while DFN was a bit more homogeneous to my ears, V kind of fixed that by having only 6 songs.

I'll agree with you about Lifeline, which really only had 4 stand-out tracks; the title track, "Leviathan", "So Many Roads" and "Fly High". The rest was a bit more forgettable, although the two bonus-disc originals were pretty nice and IMO, should have replaced the other 3 tracks on the album.

Momentum set the record straight by offering 6 unique songs that really did stand out from each other. I distinctly remember each one, from the rocking title-track, to the "Thoughts" sequel (a highlight for me), to the quirky "Freak", the SB-ish rocker "Weathering Sky" with its great sing-along chorus, the ballad-esque "Smoke And Mirrors", and of course, the epic closer "World Without End", which had some surprisingly good themes in it.

I am glad The Grand Experiment (main album) will only feature 5 songs, although having all 8 on the album would've made it about 75 minutes long (the usual length of a Neal Morse album). We get to digest 5 songs a bit easier and I think it'll help those 5 stand out, although I see no problem with the title track being a stand out track, or the two longer tracks (the opening epic "Following The Call" or the closing epic "Alive Again"). I'm willing to bet the other two shorter tracks are a proggy-like tune and a ballad, just for variety's sake. Wait....bookending epics, three short songs in the middle...where have I seen that formula before.... ;)

Anyways, I am excited for this one! I look forward to hearing how the other 2 guys mix it up with the whole band with Bill on keys and other instruments, and Eric's guitar leads. I mean, we've heard them live, but as a creative output in the studio is a bit different, so this "grand experiment" sure has me anticipating the outcome!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1437 on: January 07, 2015, 11:28:18 AM »
Also, the following information has now been posted on Radiant's page for the album:

Pre-orders begin January 13th, 2015

*First 100 Special Edition preorders will be signed by Neal!*

Don't wait to get your's!

Album release date is February 10th, 2015

And the prices:

Main audio disc
$14.99 (USD)

3 Disc Special Edition Digipak
Contains the main audio disc, bonus audio disc featuring 3 unreleased studio tracks and 2 live tracks from the phenominal [Morse]fest weekend, and a "making of" documentary DVD in special packaging
$24.99 (USD)

LP + 2CD Set
 Containing single LP, main audio disc, and bonus audio disc
$29.99 (USD)

Not a bad price. Burningshed has their version up at $28.45 right now, a few bucks more than Radiant's, although Burningshed won't offer a signed exclusive like Radiant usually does, so with that in mind, I will still wake up early on Tuesday morning and pre-order then. While I'm at it, I might pick up the Mediabook version of Enchant's last album (which I haven't gotten yet). So glad I got paid today!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1438 on: January 07, 2015, 03:43:29 PM »
Spock's Beard fan? No
Neal Morse? No
Transatlantic? No
Flying Colors? Hell No

BUT I REALLY LIKE THAT SONG! :tup
Reminds me of Styx.

I doubt very much that I'll buy this, but on the strength of this song, I will absolutely check out the rest of the album on Youtube or such. Hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised. :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1439 on: January 07, 2015, 05:55:54 PM »
This is REALLY a great song.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1440 on: January 07, 2015, 06:16:16 PM »
Spock's Beard fan? No
Neal Morse? No
Transatlantic? No
Flying Colors? Hell No

BUT I REALLY LIKE THAT SONG! :tup
Reminds me of Styx.

I doubt very much that I'll buy this, but on the strength of this song, I will absolutely check out the rest of the album on Youtube or such. Hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

Hearing the Styx comparison here isn't the first time I've read it. I've seen a few people on Facebook make that comparison, and I hear it very much in the chorus. The bridge vocal was kind of Beatles-y too. Lots of rock influences from Neal in this one, and I like it a lot! Just listened to it again at home with headphones on, rather than the crappy monitor speakers I had at work earlier today. This one rocks hard, and I'm sure it'll sound great live when they tour on it soon!

-Marc.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1441 on: January 07, 2015, 07:31:14 PM »
Haha, the first time I heard it I first thought Styx...  I'm kinda convinced it's only because of the Styx song The Grand Illusion (one of my fav Styx songs).  Only from the similar title, not from the sound.  I could be wrong of course.

After a few listens I am really, really digging the song.  First listen I thought it was good, not great, and chalked it up to my usual experience of the first single on an album being one of my least favorites from the album.  That happens a lot.  I NEVER judge an album by the pre-release single for this reason.  But it is growing quickly.  Getting excited for the whole album!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1442 on: January 07, 2015, 07:45:08 PM »
Listened twice.  Yeah, that chorus is gonna be stuck in my head for days. :lol :biggrin:

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1443 on: January 07, 2015, 08:09:49 PM »
After plenty of listens for me it's about on par with the song Momentum as a first single.  I initially thought that the song Momentum was better, but I'm just not so sure.  This song is really good.  I will have it stuck in my head too haha.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1444 on: January 08, 2015, 08:19:08 AM »
Not a bad price. Burningshed has their version up at $28.45 right now, a few bucks more than Radiant's, although Burningshed won't offer a signed exclusive like Radiant usually does, so with that in mind, I will still wake up early on Tuesday morning and pre-order then. While I'm at it, I might pick up the Mediabook version of Enchant's last album (which I haven't gotten yet). So glad I got paid today!

-Marc.

I think their weekday preorders usually start at 10AM CST unless specified otherwise.

Also Randy George.. man you look bored up there like you don't even want to be standing up.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1445 on: January 08, 2015, 04:39:46 PM »
He always looks like that on stage.  :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1446 on: January 08, 2015, 04:46:45 PM »
Damn that song is good!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1447 on: January 08, 2015, 04:49:44 PM »
He always looks like that on stage.  :lol :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1448 on: January 09, 2015, 12:25:00 AM »
I really liked that song. I may pick up this album when it comes out.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #1449 on: January 09, 2015, 02:57:44 AM »
Eric Gillette playing a JP Music Man guitar :metal

Hope that we will not read in the coming days something like ... somebody came to my video shooting with a JP Music Man guitar...REALLY???  Please try to use some sensibility/sensitivity when choosing a guitar for an MP event.

Just kiddin  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1450 on: January 09, 2015, 05:38:52 AM »
 :lol  :rollin

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1451 on: January 09, 2015, 11:41:37 AM »
9AM CST for the preorders

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1452 on: January 09, 2015, 06:40:09 PM »
Eric Gillette playing a JP Music Man guitar :metal

Hope that we will not read in the coming days something like ... somebody came to my video shooting with a JP Music Man guitar...REALLY???  Please try to use some sensibility/sensitivity when choosing a guitar for an MP event.

Just kiddin  :biggrin: :biggrin:
It's ok, that model came out while MP was still in the band.

If it was a JP Majesty, there'd be problems. :p
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline finn the fisherman

« Reply #1453 on: January 12, 2015, 09:59:11 AM »
Will be waiting with mild  anticipation on his new solo release.It does contain his usual two epics ,which is Morse all over! His solo output has been frighteningly consistent,and for that we should be happy.I must admit I was worried when he quit Spocks Beard back in the day,but,as he was the chief song writer i now understand his decision.
My only slight worry on this release ,is that the two epics  are better than the two that graced the Transatlantic album,Kaleidoscope,which were pretty average ,as was the whole album! Maybe he's saving his best material for The Grand Experiment?  Though I'm sure I read somewhere that all members have contributed to this album in the writing  process.
If it's as good as Sola Scriptura,my favourite,then I'll be happy!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1454 on: January 12, 2015, 10:37:11 AM »
IIRC, Neal said he went into the studio with no prepared demos to start with. It was also noted that both Eric and Bill brought material in, and I suppose everything else was written in the studio. It's been awhile since Neal has done this (or maybe even the first time!) So the results should be interesting! Hopefully we get more of Eric and Bill in the music now that they're part of the band proper. Funny how Neal has a line up comparable to Spock's Beard - Neal, a drummer/vocalist, a dedicated guitarist, a dedicated keyboardist, a bassist, and Neal. And I think Bill also does vocals. Funny how things feel full circle sometimes. I hope Neal sticks with this line up for a couple more albums!

-Marc.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #1455 on: January 13, 2015, 02:40:19 AM »
What happened with the Brazilian guitarist that was hired by NM and played the Momentum album? If I remember well, he is an ordinary guy who was hired due to his youtube videos.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1456 on: January 13, 2015, 05:07:46 AM »
Oh yeah, that guy did a tremendous solo on World without end.  :metal

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1457 on: January 13, 2015, 07:23:07 AM »
They just added 2 new options to the preorder

3 Disc Digipak of TGE + KaLIVEoscope  Special edition.
3 Disc Special Edition Digipak + KaLIVEoscope Ltd. Edition Box Set

AAAAAAAAND the site is now down.  :rollin

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1458 on: January 13, 2015, 08:00:31 AM »
Order Date: 1/13/2015 8:59:45 AM

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1459 on: January 13, 2015, 08:01:59 AM »
ordered the deluxe version the second the add to cart button appeared  :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1460 on: January 13, 2015, 08:02:09 AM »

Order Date: 1/13/2015 9:00:07 AM

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1461 on: January 13, 2015, 08:02:49 AM »

Order Number: 60666   
Order Status: Processing
Order Date: 1/13/2015 10:00:25 AM

WOOHOO!!! Hoping to get a signed one. I've been sitting on the site like a hawk for the last 5-10 minutes anyway, refreshing every few seconds for the last few minutes. Noticed the 3-disc Special Edition popped up first before anything else and I rushed to order like no one's business!!!

-Marc.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1462 on: January 13, 2015, 08:03:34 AM »

WOOHOO!!! Hoping to get a signed one. I've been sitting on the site like a hawk for the last 5-10 minutes anyway, refreshing every few seconds for the last few minutes. Noticed the 3-disc Special Edition popped up first before anything else and I rushed to order like no one's business!!!

-Marc.

Damn they are moving fast. I'm 60629.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1463 on: January 13, 2015, 08:19:55 AM »

-Marc.

Damn they are moving fast. I'm 60629.

Yeah, no kidding! In a matter of about 40 seconds, 36 other orders were placed between yours and mine! :o
That's nearly one order per second! I'm betting the 1st hundred were gone before 10:01:30 AM even hit.

-Marc.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1464 on: January 13, 2015, 08:33:26 AM »
Where are you guys seeing the timestamp?

I think mine was right around 10:00:00 ET, but I'm not seeing it. In any event I think I'm looking good with my order #60631. Only seen one better so far (Mindflux beat me by two orders!)

EDIT: Nevermind, I see it
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Art

« Reply #1465 on: January 13, 2015, 08:50:34 AM »
Really cool song! Now i´m hyped for the album!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1466 on: January 13, 2015, 08:51:34 AM »
Order Date: 1/13/2015 9:00:07 AM
I had order #60635

Hoping I get a signed one and looks like I will looking at your order numbers.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1467 on: January 13, 2015, 09:05:15 AM »
Looking at all of our orders...(all times adjusted to EST)

Order Number: 60629                           Mindflux
Order Date: 1/13/2015 9:59:45 AM

Order Number: 60631                           OpenYourEyes311
Order Date: 1/13/2015 10:00:00 AM

Order Number: 60635                           goo-goo
Order Date: 1/13/2015 10:00:07 AM

Order Number: 60666                           The Letter M

Wow...you guys are QUICK. Now I'm worried I just missed the 100 mark. :-\ Ah well, if I don't get it, it's alright. I won't be too miffed by it.

Between Mindflux and goo-goo, there were only 5 orders in the span of 22 seconds, but between goo-goo and I, in the span of 18 seconds, there were 30 orders. Quite the leap there! With that in mind, I'm sure the first 100 were all gone before 10:00:30 AM.

-Marc.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1468 on: January 13, 2015, 10:11:39 AM »
Between Mindflux and goo-goo, there were only 5 orders in the span of 22 seconds, but between goo-goo and I, in the span of 18 seconds, there were 30 orders. Quite the leap there! With that in mind, I'm sure the first 100 were all gone before 10:00:30 AM.

-Marc.

Yep. Remember radiant sells world wide, so it's just the US competing for those first 100. 

I do think that they should mention they are past the signed preorder stage after that happens (a few minutes in) so that people aren't buying with a false sense of hope for that signed artwork or whatever.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1469 on: January 13, 2015, 11:24:40 AM »

-Marc.

Yep. Remember radiant sells world wide, so it's just the US competing for those first 100. 

Wait...what? That's confusing. Did you mean "so it's NOT just the US"??

I do think that they should mention they are past the signed preorder stage after that happens (a few minutes in) so that people aren't buying with a false sense of hope for that signed artwork or whatever.

I think that's the point, actually. :lol
Radiant is the SOURCE, it's Neal's record label, and they've done these promotions for the longest time to try and get the bulk of pre-orders in from fans. Nowadays, a lot of other websites, especially internationally, offer pre-orders, like the aforementioned BurningShed, and their versions are the European ones, which come from the Inside Out record label. And if you recall my previous posts in this thread and the Transatlantic threads, the Inside Out versions of Neal's albums typically have BETTER packaging - digibooks with hard covers as opposed to digipaks, things like that. Neal offers these "signed item" specials in hopes to get a ton of pre-orders so they can make more money right out of the gate. And I don't blame him! This is his livelihood, which is why I do not mind spending money on Radiant, even for slightly inferior product, but if I can get it signed, then I'm happy with the packaging even more!

-Marc.