Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 548482 times)

Offline ShadowWalker

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1260 on: May 09, 2013, 01:00:01 PM »
Neal has unfortunately lost a lot of money from me personally over the years due to his website frequently not performing properly.  I don't bother ordering directly from Radiant anymore simply because the site is so screwed up.

Yep. I tried to join the Inner Circle thing yesterday and the site wouldn't advance past a certain point. Was going to try again today, but the site wouldn't let me log in. The first response I got from the website contact info was useless. Oh well. Someone else will get my money...

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1261 on: May 12, 2013, 04:43:57 AM »
MP broke two drumheads on the same night but he dealt with that like a pro!  :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTOFyHQvsD4&feature=youtu.be
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1262 on: July 29, 2013, 01:55:27 PM »
Just FYI the Momentum Live Bluray set is back on Radiant records.
 :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1263 on: July 29, 2013, 01:58:29 PM »
And still only available if you buy the three live CDs (which I do not want).  Damn.   

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1264 on: July 29, 2013, 02:00:56 PM »
And still only available if you buy the three live CDs (which I do not want).  Damn.

Sorry..

This is uber cheap right now too:

https://www.radiantrecords.com/products/167-transatlantic-live-in-europe-2-cd-set-audio.aspx

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1265 on: August 15, 2013, 07:28:51 AM »
Finished all vocals on TA4 yesterday! Sang 2 covers and a short heartfelt track.  Running ruffs this am then on to a new writing project!

Recent tweet from Neal, and it looks like he's already working on something new AFTER TA4...so soon!!! I wonder what it will be. I doubt it'll be a solo album, so who knows...any guesses?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1266 on: August 15, 2013, 03:00:19 PM »
Hey guys,
  I love Neal's work in TA, Spock's Beard and his solo Momentum material.  I want to get into his back catalog a bit. But I'm very sensitive about about getting too preachy with lyrics.

What can you suggest that won't make me want to hurl the disc out my car window? 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1267 on: August 15, 2013, 04:14:28 PM »
Hey guys,
  I love Neal's work in TA, Spock's Beard and his solo Momentum material.  I want to get into his back catalog a bit. But I'm very sensitive about about getting too preachy with lyrics.

What can you suggest that won't make me want to hurl the disc out my car window?

? (Question Mark album)
Testimony Two
One

Have fun. :hat

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1268 on: August 15, 2013, 05:39:09 PM »
Slacker Radio has an interesting Neal Morse whoopsie.

Not even the right track either...

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1269 on: August 21, 2013, 10:36:44 AM »
Neal Tweeted more about working on TA4 today...

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1270 on: August 21, 2013, 11:02:20 AM »

There should be a Transatlantic thread for all TA news somewhere around here.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1271 on: August 21, 2013, 11:30:49 AM »

There should be a Transatlantic thread for all TA news somewhere around here.

-Marc.

Meh, it was a Neal tweet. I felt it was ok to be here.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1272 on: August 21, 2013, 01:15:07 PM »
Wait, hasn't it been more than a week since the last Neal Morse album?

He should have a new solo album out any day now, right?  :P

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1273 on: August 21, 2013, 01:15:37 PM »
He should have a new solo album out any day now, right?  :P

You missed it. It came out last tuesday.

:lol

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1274 on: August 22, 2013, 10:26:09 AM »
Can someone tell me a bit about Inner Circle? Is it worth $144 a year? 

I mean, for that much I'd think being part of the inner circle should maybe at least get you free shipping on Radiant Record orders as well? 

Would love to hear the Whirlwind Demos and the "What wasn't on FC" or whatever.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1275 on: August 22, 2013, 10:49:03 AM »
Can someone tell me a bit about Inner Circle? Is it worth $144 a year? 

I mean, for that much I'd think being part of the inner circle should maybe at least get you free shipping on Radiant Record orders as well? 

Would love to hear the Whirlwind Demos and the "What wasn't on FC" or whatever.

Is it really $144? I thought it was only $120... at least when *I* joined, it was only $10/mo, which I still pay.

And I think they're worth it, also for discounts on past IC stuff, like great live sets from past tours, DVD Documentaries, Demos, etc. It's kind of like is YtseJam Records had a subscription service. Sure, you only get one item every 2 months, but sometimes Neal throws in a 2-CD set or 2-DVD set as one item, so it can really surprise you! I've been a member for about 2 years now and have a dozen cool things, as well as a dozen more from purchasing back catalog stuff. It's totally worth it if you absolutely LOVE Neal and all of his work, from solo to TA to FC and more!

-Marc.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1276 on: August 22, 2013, 10:55:00 AM »
Is it really $144? I thought it was only $120... at least when *I* joined, it was only $10/mo, which I still pay.

And I think they're worth it, also for discounts on past IC stuff, like great live sets from past tours, DVD Documentaries, Demos, etc. It's kind of like is YtseJam Records had a subscription service. Sure, you only get one item every 2 months, but sometimes Neal throws in a 2-CD set or 2-DVD set as one item, so it can really surprise you! I've been a member for about 2 years now and have a dozen cool things, as well as a dozen more from purchasing back catalog stuff. It's totally worth it if you absolutely LOVE Neal and all of his work, from solo to TA to FC and more!

-Marc.

It's $12/mo for US, $14/mo for International. 

So 12*12 = 144 since I'm stateside.

What sort of discounts on the past catalog? I see they are almost all listed as $10 bucks (though you cannot buy them unless an IC member).

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1277 on: August 22, 2013, 11:26:52 AM »

-Marc.

It's $12/mo for US, $14/mo for International. 

So 12*12 = 144 since I'm stateside.

What sort of discounts on the past catalog? I see they are almost all listed as $10 bucks (though you cannot buy them unless an IC member).

Hmm well I think I remember they've had some sales in the past before for IC members on purchasing past IC albums. I remember they had them down to $8 a piece before, which was quite a steal for some of them!

Like I said, if you're a big Neal Morse fan, it's totally worth it if you can afford it, especially for the back catalog stuff!

-Marc.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1278 on: August 22, 2013, 11:35:44 AM »
You know, I would normally consider his Inner Circle to be a fair price and a cool deal, but it loses its luster a tad when the market is already so full of Neal Morse related things. I get all the official stuff he's on and that is hard enough, and expensive enough to keep up with as is.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1279 on: August 22, 2013, 12:05:47 PM »
I agree with that.  Paying that much just to hear demos or songs that weren't deemed good enough for the Flying Colors album sure ain't worth it.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1280 on: August 22, 2013, 12:18:00 PM »
20% off orders 60 or more trough Sunday on radiantrecords.com

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1281 on: August 23, 2013, 03:59:03 PM »
Ok broke down and joined IC. That way I can get 20% off any IC CD's I want before Sunday ends.

Can anyone suggest any that really stand out that are worth having?  I was thinking the Whirlwind demos: https://www.radiantrecords.com/products/387-inner-circle-cd-whirlwind-demos-january-2012.aspx

and one (or both) of the FC ones:

https://www.radiantrecords.com/products/400-inner-circle-cd-not-for-flying-colors-may-2012.aspx
https://www.radiantrecords.com/products/416-inner-circle-cd-island-of-the-lost-keyboards-november-2012.aspx

But open to suggestions!

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1282 on: August 24, 2013, 02:19:23 PM »
Not For Flying Colors I thought was "meh."  The Island of Lost Keyboards I thought was really good, I like it quite a bit better than the actual Flying Colors album.  The Whirlwind demos is one of my favorite inner circle releases.

My favorites, off the top of my head:  Whirlwind demos, samples of Jesus Christ: The Exorcist, Flevo Festival DVD, making of One DVD pt 1 and pt 2, Neal Morse in the 80's and 90's, and From the Cutting Room Floor.  The first two on this list are the top two, the rest are in no particular order.  I tend to like the cd's better than the dvds.  Just don't have time to watch the dvd's but can listen to the cds while I work.

Neal tweeted that the next release will be Neal Morse in the 90's.  Can't wait for this one, as I liked the last one that was doing something similar.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1283 on: September 01, 2013, 09:26:59 PM »
Listening to Sola Scriptura for the first time and loving it. Can't believe I haven't checked out his solo stuff til now. What else is good?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1284 on: October 18, 2013, 07:32:31 AM »
Yeah, I decided to check out Sola scriptura at last as well, and I've been spinning it quite a bit this week. I'm sure I'll listen to all the other solo releases of his as soon as possible, the stuff gets me going as much as Transatlantic and Spock's beard do.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1285 on: October 18, 2013, 07:33:53 AM »
Listening to Sola Scriptura for the first time and loving it. Can't believe I haven't checked out his solo stuff til now. What else is good?

One is my favorite, but SS is a close second.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1286 on: October 18, 2013, 07:36:44 AM »

One is my favorite, but SS is a close second.

No love for Question Mark?  :omg:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1287 on: October 18, 2013, 07:58:33 AM »
Nope.  Just not a good album at all, especially by Neal Morse standards. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1288 on: October 18, 2013, 08:16:27 AM »
Nope.  Just not a good album at all, especially by Neal Morse standards.

I'm surprised, considering the album is normally at or near the top of many fan's ranks, including mine. Well, it's fine, at least you like Sola Scriptura! :D
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1289 on: October 18, 2013, 08:42:23 AM »
I'm going to agree somewhat with bosky here.  Although I can enjoy ? and have it in my regular album rotation, I find it isn't in the same ballpark as SS and especially One.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1290 on: October 18, 2013, 08:46:32 AM »
? blows Sola Scriptura out of the water, and is a little bit better than One as well.  Testimony Two is the only Neal solo album as good or better than ?.  :biggrin:

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1291 on: October 18, 2013, 07:28:38 PM »
I appreciate Neal for almost ALWAYS sending out pre-orders sometimes weeks before the release date.

Offline j

« Reply #1292 on: October 18, 2013, 07:59:01 PM »
One and ? are my favorites, but I haven't listened to Morse in awhile, and I haven't heard any of his more recent output including Testimony 2.

But as I've probably said before, while I consider SS one of his weaker efforts, The Door is pretty good, and the guitar solo at the end of it is one of the most stupid awesome solos I've ever heard.

-J

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1293 on: October 19, 2013, 04:46:10 AM »
One and ? are my favorites
Me too, by far.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1294 on: October 19, 2013, 08:52:44 AM »
Momentum still is not sitting right with me :( I can't get into it no matter how hard I try. Oh well, that's 1 out of the ... many he has?