I like them
They're average
Meh
Not really
No
KEVIN MOORE!?!?!?!?
My all-time favorite band
One of my all-time favorite bands

Author Topic: Do you like Dream Theater?  (Read 10155 times)

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Do you like Dream Theater?
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2009, 08:25:12 AM »
What's the difference between:
"My favorite band, they're amazing"
&
"My all-time favorite band"?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2009, 08:33:59 AM »
Definitely still my favorite band. I agree that SC was a slump, though. And while BC&SL isn't really a "comeback" it's definitely a step in the right direction.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2009, 10:49:45 AM »
&
None, I guess. Add the two together and you get clear results. He had to change the poll in the beginning because some options were missing, and probably forgot to delete the first one.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2009, 04:12:15 PM »
&

Actually, and maybe I'm reading into this too much, I think they are meant to both be there.

"My favorite band, they're amazing" sticks out to me as saying, "They are my favorite band, currently," while "My all-time favorite band" obviously means, "My all-time favorite band"
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2009, 09:20:50 PM »
Who?

:neverusethis:

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2009, 09:54:03 PM »
Dream Theatre, obviously.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline Cyglade

« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2009, 03:15:32 AM »
I love Dream Theater. They are one of my most favorite groups. I can say I appreciate all of their albums/songs.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2009, 09:33:21 AM »
To me there's no difference between favourite and all-time favourite. Unless you've actually catalogued all your favourite bands and how long they were favourite for, and then totalled everything up to a favourite over time.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2009, 10:11:54 AM »
Well, no.  "Favorite" could mean "favorite band currently making music," while "favorite all-time" could refer to someone no longer recording new music, such as The Beatles or Led Zeppelin.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2009, 10:55:09 AM »
Used to be my all-time favorite band. Since expanding my musical horizons and discovering some really amazing bands out there, they have fallen a bit. Not to mention I simply became a bit burned out on them for a while there. However, I still chose "one of my all time favorite bands", because they are definitely in the top 5 still, but no longer number 1.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2009, 11:33:22 AM »
Well, no.  "Favorite" could mean "favorite band currently making music," while "favorite all-time" could refer to someone no longer recording new music, such as The Beatles or Led Zeppelin.
I suppose, although that seems like a very silly definition of "favourite band".

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2009, 09:04:12 PM »
I like them a lot. They are def top 20 favorite band material.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2009, 02:17:34 PM »
My favorite band.  They're just freakin' incredible.

I voted Kevin Moore...

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2009, 09:13:10 AM »
This morning I woke up early and could not go back to sleep so i decided to slap the ipod on and listen to SDOIT with no interruptions and and eye's closed paying total attention and realized that this album is one that you can listen to while your buisy at work (background music i guess im trying to say ) and listen to while paying total attention to and enjoy it alot
But I think this was the first time i had ever listen to it in total quiet aand darkness all i can say is wwwwOwwww I HAVE A NEW FOUND LOVE FOR THIS ALBUM NOW

BTW this is the only one of there albums I waited this long to pay complete attention to LOL

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2009, 09:41:56 AM »
I suppose, although that seems like a very silly definition of "favourite band".
Yes, but I'm a very silly person, so it tends to work itself out.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2009, 09:46:01 AM »
They are somewhere between 2-5 in my favorite bands list at any given moment. Depends on my mood.

Wife Of Destiny

« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2009, 07:13:46 PM »
Dream Theater is awesome!!! I saw them during their U.S. Tour, three times, and each time was amazing!

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2011, 09:33:04 AM »
&

exactly.... went with the first choice though...

&

Actually, and maybe I'm reading into this too much, I think they are meant to both be there.

"My favorite band, they're amazing" sticks out to me as saying, "They are my favorite band, currently," while "My all-time favorite band" obviously means, "My all-time favorite band"

if that was the case... my answer would have been  "My all-time favorite band"...

Offline wammabe

« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2011, 09:41:37 AM »
They're my all time favorite band, however, I had to vote for "KEVIN MOORE?!?!??!?!!".

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2011, 09:42:20 AM »
This thread is something else. Wow, some people have really changed in the span shy of 2 years (sonata, quad, etc.) :lol

Offline reo73

• Banned
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2011, 09:53:07 AM »
Pink Floyd is my all time favorite with RUSH up there too.  When I first discovered DT in '93 QR was my current favorite band but DT replaced QR by ACOS, especially after watching LIT, and has been my favorite band since.  In recent years I have been less than impressed by their studio albums but regardless they are probably still my favorite.  PT are a close, close second and then the list drops off dramatically.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2011, 10:05:55 AM »
They're one of my favourites, the problem being I am completely unable to rank my seven or so favourites for the reason that I love them all and which one I want to listen to depends on the day/hour.

However, I must say that they're quite a special band for me, as they got me to realise that metal was actually really quite good. I still prefer their early stuff though.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »
They have been my favorite band since 2002 and will continue until I become old and older.

Am I the only one that listens to just DT, then listens to bands like 3 Doors Down, adelita's way, alice in chains, alterbridge, bush, dark new day, yes nickelback, shinedown, three days grace, sevendust, hailstorm, incubus, papa roach, etc. etc. liste goes on  - im not really a fan of technical prog sounding music, but DT is different for me and will always remain my favorite band.   

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2011, 10:42:23 AM »
I'm surprised I didn't post or vote in this thread when it was originally made but I voted for "I like them". I rarely sit down and listen to them anymore but there will always be a place for DT in my music collection.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2011, 11:34:46 AM »
I wish this poll had the option to change votes.
At the time of voting, they were my favourite band. However, I would drop em down a few spots at this point.

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2011, 11:48:45 AM »
I like 'em.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2011, 12:27:43 PM »
I can see someone going from having it be their absolute favorite band to maybe, not quite as much though still liking them. (Although they're still my absolute favorite band, and I doubt that'll change.)
But if I were to outright start disliking them, there's no way in hell I'll stay on the forums. Why would I?
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Liberation

« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2011, 12:31:28 PM »
Decided for "one of my all-time favourite bands". While if asked "what's your ONE favourite band" I would probably say Dream Theater, there are a few bands which can totally take over just as well as them for me.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: August 12, 2011, 02:03:56 PM »
I can see someone going from having it be their absolute favorite band to maybe, not quite as much though still liking them. (Although they're still my absolute favorite band, and I doubt that'll change.)
But if I were to outright start disliking them, there's no way in hell I'll stay on the forums. Why would I?

Because you've grown to enjoy a place where you can discuss music and other stuff (including Iain, bacon, being lonely, and Kevin Moore) with people from all around the world. A place where despite that fact that you very well may never meet these people in your life, you still feel a sense of comradery and friendship that you didn't initially expect.
Because it evolved far beyond just discussing Mangini's O face...it was like a second home, another family; one that fights and has disagreements, but one who all collectively bond over the love of music.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2011, 03:14:37 PM »
Mostly because of the people here. And the general music section of the forum. (for me, anyway)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2011, 03:15:58 PM »
My favorite band, easily.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2011, 03:18:58 PM »
Wow... how is that even a question?

Kevin Moore obviously.

Offline austin

• Heyyyyy
  • DTF.org Member
  • bit.ly/thefury
« Reply #102 on: August 12, 2011, 03:22:18 PM »

Because you've grown to enjoy a place where you can discuss music and other stuff (including Iain, bacon, being lonely, and Kevin Moore) with people from all around the world. A place where despite that fact that you very well may never meet these people in your life, you still feel a sense of comradery and friendship that you didn't initially expect.
Because it evolved far beyond just discussing Mangini's O face...it was like a second home, another family; one that fights and has disagreements, but one who all collectively bond over the love of music.
this is true. this is why I stayed and posted for a while after I stopped really listening to DT

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2011, 03:24:45 PM »
I'm always listening to DT.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2011, 04:12:55 PM »
I've been a fan for 23 years and they have been my favourite band for about 19 of those, when I&W changed my music world. I think it unlikely that I'm going to go off them now.
There is always the chance they could "do a Queensryche" and deliberately try to make me dislike them, but I doubt it.