Author Topic: General Drum Tips/Discussion Thread  (Read 1487 times)

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
General Drum Tips/Discussion Thread
« on: October 26, 2009, 07:40:02 PM »
I haven't really seen a general drum thread here, possibly due to the excessive amount of guitar players , but I though this would be a nice place to share tips, techniques, songs, and anything else relevant. Here's some background for my drumming career:
I've been playing drums for a little over a year and have a
CB set with a Zildjian 18" Rezo crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Crash, Sabian hi-hats, a  Pitch Black 22" Zildjian ride cymbal, Pearl/Tama/CB stands, and Pearl double bass and hi-hat pedals.
Some songs I recently learned note-for-note are Creeping Death by Metallica and Cowboys From Hell by Pantera. I'm working on Dyers Eve currently.

Offline jezstyle

• Rafiki from Stradley Hall
  • Rafiki from Stradley Hall
Re: General Drum Tips/Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 08:09:23 PM »
I currently play a Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage Nouveau (Cranberry Red). Cymbals are a mix of Zildjians and Paistes. My kick pedal is an Axis X2 Double Pedal AX-X2.

My contribution tip to the topic: HOW TO GET A DEEP BASS DRUM SOUND (AKA: the Bob Gatzen technique)

Loosen the batter head all the way. Tighten them all finger tight, then press pretty firmly in the center of the head. Now tighten them just enough so that you can see any wrinkles, all while still pressing down in the center of the head. Once you don't see any wrinkles, you can release the pressure on the head. That should leave you at least with a good starting point for tuning.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 08:18:34 PM »
My contribution tip to the topic: HOW TO GET A DEEP BASS DRUM SOUND (AKA: the Bob Gatzen technique)

Loosen the batter head all the way. Tighten them all finger tight, then press pretty firmly in the center of the head. Now tighten them just enough so that you can see any wrinkles, all while still pressing down in the center of the head. Once you don't see any wrinkles, you can release the pressure on the head. That should leave you at least with a good starting point for tuning.

Sweet, I'll have to try this when I have free time this weekend!

Don't know if this is contributing, but heel-toe technique for playing double bass with one foot (think Nicko McBrain on Dream Of Mirrors [Iron Maiden])is very easy and sure to make people wonder how your playing it. There's a ton of videos on YouTube.com of lessons.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
I currently play a Yamaha Stage Custom
This is my kit! Great drums!

You can go that way for the deep sound. You can also try that with a pillow inside the bass drum shell or if you're willing to waste some money... you can also get the Remo Powersonic head and you won't need the pillow.

When it comes to drum heads, I find that Remo makes the best them!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline LTE

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 06:22:46 PM »
I am currently stuck with a simple Yamaha DTXplorer electric kit with a nice set of yamaha double pedals, my parents wouldn't take kindly to acoustic drums in the house, although they take kindly to a cranked Mesa/Boogie haha. :metal

We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 04:39:50 PM »
i cant drum anymore :sadpanda: stupid apartments... and stupid people likeing peace and quiet.

but ive been drumming for 7 years? i think. Tama superstar 5 piece kit. extra pearl 8in tom, iron cobra double pedals, 3 crashes a china hihats ride and a rigged stack all sabian.

oh god i miss playing

Offline True Death of Life

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 07:31:38 AM »
ZILDJAN  :metal

That is all.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 09:54:59 AM »
Nah, Sabian has more choices and original cymbals.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 01:13:36 PM »
I use Zildjian, but might by Mike's signature Sabians in the future.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 10:25:34 PM »
I use Zildjian, but might by Mike's signature Sabians in the future.
Zildjian's are awesome cymbals, don't get me wrong.

But Sabian has more variety, a hell of a lot more! And they're just as awesome as Zildjian.

I currently use a combination of both brands.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 03:44:21 PM »
I'm probably getting a new cymbal soon. Either a 17" A Custom crash, or just a plain A. Lars Ulrich used 17 and 18" A's during ...And Justice For All, so that gives me more incentive to try them out, although I hate the A finishes, and much prefer the A Custom's brilliant finish.