Author Topic: The Metallica thread (merged)  (Read 320279 times)

Offline staveoffzombies

• Mostly Harmless
  • Oversized hats are cute.
Re: The Metallica thread
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2009, 10:46:53 PM »
Load is a fantastic album and is the best thing Metallica did in the nineties.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2009, 10:58:58 PM »
....It's the best thing they did with original material.

The best thing Metallica did in the 90s was S&M.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2009, 02:24:21 PM »
I prefer Reload to Load AND Death Magnetic.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2009, 02:30:45 PM »
First time I've heard that.

Why do you prefer it?
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2009, 02:39:16 PM »
the black album was the best metallica from the 90's.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2009, 04:32:54 PM »
Taking the black album's strong songs...you know, Sandman? Wherever I May Roam? Nothing Else Matters? against Load's strong songs like Bleeding Me, The Outlaw Torn? Heck, even I like Mama Said better than Nothing Else Matters. I take Load.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2009, 04:49:25 PM »
nothing else matters. aint my bitch 2X4 and all of st anger are the worst metallica songs

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2009, 04:51:46 PM »
Nothing Else Matters is more overrated than war, but it's in no way in the bottom list of Metallica songs.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2009, 05:09:55 PM »
Nothing Else Matters is more overrated than war, but it's in no way in the bottom list of Metallica songs.

it is

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2009, 06:50:23 PM »
I listened to the GH3 version of DM today. That album has a grand total of five good songs.

TWJYL
TEOTL
ANL
CN
MA
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2009, 08:12:48 PM »
Good going, Mr. Xanadu. TWJYL is clearly one of the album's bests. "I blind my eyes I try to force it all into a plaaace!"  :metal
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2009, 08:53:29 PM »

it is
Hell no, I can think of at least 7-10 I would put before thinking of putting NEM in the bottom list of Metallica songs.

Offline Ouda

• Executive supervisor of FUNK
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2009, 11:28:30 AM »
  K, Death Magnetic is entertaining to listen to James. At the end of practically every phrase, he grunts "AH" Especially in "the day that never comes" and "All nightmare long"...."When your luck runs out, AH" Otherwise it's pretty good musically even with the drums being the same thing they've been for the past 25 years.

Best song by them is Hit the Lights. If only there were a studio version where James voice didnt sound like a  teenager going through puberty at that very moment, who also had a sore throat, due to a large badger lodged into his esophagus.

Best album, for me, is between Master of Puppets, and Kill 'em All. Not paying any attention to the production value, but the songs themselves.

Can't wait to see them in Ottawa in September/November, I can't remember.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2009, 11:46:18 AM »
Hit the Lights is a an awesome song indeed.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2009, 12:54:34 PM »
Dimitrius can you start a DM survivor? just to see how we feel about the songs now!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2009, 12:58:59 PM »
Dimitrius can you start a DM survivor? just to see how we feel about the songs now!
Zeltar has done the Metallica survivor for the last 2 years, I'll let him run it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2009, 02:48:34 PM »
First time I've heard that.

Why do you prefer it?

I love the vibe of Reload. Its dark and sleazy. Load is quite mid paced and bluesy by comparison. Oh and Death Magnetic sounds completely forced. Ok, the songs are better than St Anger, but St Anger has an energy that is sorely lacking on Death Magnetic, which they tried to create with digital distortion.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2009, 04:21:57 PM »
I'M MADLY IN ANGER WITH YOU

SET IT FREEEEEY!

Yes, I kinda see where you're going
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2009, 04:34:59 PM »
I sure hope Metallica makes a good album.

Oh wait...
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2009, 04:36:19 PM »
I'M MADLY IN ANGER WITH YOU

SET IT FREEEEEY!

Yes, I kinda see where you're going
KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2009, 04:40:44 PM »
FRAN TIC TIC TIC TIC TIC TIC

TOC
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2009, 05:53:55 AM »
This.

My second favourite Metallica album overall.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2009, 06:37:01 AM »
....It's the best thing they did with original material.

The best thing Metallica did in the 90s was S&M.
A lot of S & M is really really cool, possibly better than the best of Load (after all, Outlaw Torn and Bleeding Me are basically Load's best, and there are arguably better versions of both on S & M), but for all its great tracks, there are songs where I personally go, "why the hell did they feel THIS needed orchestral treatment?" I mean, Fuel? Are you kidding me? Of Wolf and Man? The Memory Remains? Sad But True?

So the best is brilliant, but it gets dragged down a hell of a lot. Load has a few dud tracks too, but it's far more consistent, and better overall.

Oh, and need I say S & M as an idea instantly failed cos they neglected to include Orion, and whoever was involved in this catastrophe of a decision should be banished to an extremely smelly and uncomfortable place.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2009, 12:32:29 PM »
there are songs where I personally go, "why the hell did they feel THIS needed orchestral treatment?" I mean, Fuel? Are you kidding me? Of Wolf and Man? The Memory Remains? Sad But True?

Wtf man?! I mean Fuel yeah, that was ridiculous, and the last 2 maybe didn't need it but they still sound cool, but Of Wolf and Man is massively improved by the orchestrations, which make it sound really creepy and atmospheric!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2009, 01:08:43 PM »
Yeah, there are only a couple of handful songs that weren't helped a lot by the orchestra; but as a whole, S&M added a new dimention to Metallica's music. I can no longer listen to the studio version of The Thing that Should not Be, for example.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2009, 01:59:04 PM »
Yeah, there are only a couple of handful songs that weren't helped a lot by the orchestra; but as a whole, S&M added a new dimention to Metallica's music. I can no longer listen to the studio version of The Thing that Should not Be, for example.
The Call of Ktulu is another example.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2009, 04:08:27 PM »
there are songs where I personally go, "why the hell did they feel THIS needed orchestral treatment?" I mean, Fuel? Are you kidding me? Of Wolf and Man? The Memory Remains? Sad But True?

Wtf man?! I mean Fuel yeah, that was ridiculous, and the last 2 maybe didn't need it but they still sound cool, but Of Wolf and Man is massively improved by the orchestrations, which make it sound really creepy and atmospheric!
Well, I probably feel that way about Of Wolf and Man cos I just straight out don't like that song.

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2009, 07:57:26 PM »
I find every song on S&M vastly superior to the respective album version save for Of Wolf And Man, Devil's Dance, and Enter Sandman.

Well, Master Of Puppets, I can go either way on. I don't like how they slowed it down as much as they did, and I've never liked how James lets the audience sing half the song. On the other hand, the transition between Ktulu and Puppets is perfect, and I generally like the orchestrated parts for that song very much. And fuck, it's Master Of Puppets.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2009, 08:04:19 PM »
I find every song on S&M vastly superior to the respective album version save for Of Wolf And Man, Devil's Dance, and Enter Sandman.

Well, Master Of Puppets, I can go either way on. I don't like how they slowed it down as much as they did, and I've never liked how James lets the audience sing half the song. On the other hand, the transition between Ktulu and Puppets is perfect, and I generally like the orchestrated parts for that song very much. And fuck, it's Master Of Puppets.
It doesn't sound good when you're hearing a recording, but when you're there in the concert and he says "you sing it!" I bet you won't have a problem then.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2009, 08:06:23 PM »

I'm glad they included Of Wolf and Man simply for the "Of Wolfgang and Man" joke.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2009, 08:07:03 PM »
:neverusethis2:

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2009, 08:50:12 PM »

It doesn't sound good when you're hearing a recording, but when you're there in the concert and he says "you sing it!" I bet you won't have a problem then.

Agreed. I still think that it doesnt work very well for the recording though

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2009, 08:51:29 PM »

Agreed. I still think that it doesnt work very well for the recording though
It does not, but since the live recording is trying to capture how the band is live, it's kinda necessary.

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2009, 08:54:17 PM »
Fair enough. Either way, it's certainly not a deal-breaker for me.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2009, 08:57:17 PM »
I would like less "-AH!".