Author Topic: The Anthrax thread  (Read 22721 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Anthrax thread
« Reply #175 on: June 23, 2021, 06:26:51 PM »
Wow, that's a great video. He can actually do both Joey and John.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #176 on: June 24, 2021, 07:31:23 AM »
Do we know the REAL story of that?  As a non-fan, that just all seemed really wierd, and I never got a really good explanation of the whys' and hows'.

I'm watching that video, and I have a sort of cool respect for Scott Ian; like him or not, he has a vision and is no dummy.  Props.

Why is the guy from Big Bang Theory on there??  :)

Thoughts:   Eddie Trunk is a douche though I'll say, he didn't self promote; Henry Rollins is cool as crap; almost EVERY ONE of the people giving their impression have some sort of musical or comic book paraphernalia in the background.  I'm sure it is planned that way, but the commonalities are to me hilarious.   (By the way, I would kill to spend 30 minutes in John 5's room, with all that Kiss shit). 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #177 on: June 24, 2021, 09:27:27 AM »
You mean the real story behind Dan Nelson getting fired? I think the story of him crapping on Frankie Bello's back was true. I don't remember Dan ever making an effort to deny it.

The Big Bang Theory guy is a huge metal fan, and released a solo album with metal songs. Scott Ian is a guest on a few songs, including this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL_TbdT4hbY&t=205s

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #178 on: June 24, 2021, 09:39:06 AM »
You mean the real story behind Dan Nelson getting fired? I think the story of him crapping on Frankie Bello's back was true. I don't remember Dan ever making an effort to deny it.

The Big Bang Theory guy is a huge metal fan, and released a solo album with metal songs. Scott Ian is a guest on a few songs, including this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL_TbdT4hbY&t=205s

Whoa....I've never heard that story....Assuming that it was some sort of prank gone bad, that's pretty insane.

I always just assumed that they were 'testing' the waters and then offers came in and it came down to money as much as anything else.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #179 on: June 24, 2021, 10:01:37 AM »
Oh, Brian Posehn. Yeah, he is a huge flag-waver for Metal and is friends with many in the community.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #180 on: June 24, 2021, 01:36:34 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #181 on: June 24, 2021, 07:26:22 PM »
I came across this:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/sacked_anthrax_singer_slams_band.html

And saw this discussion (take it for what it is):
https://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/threads/was-this-ever-confirmed.644778/

Will definitely be curious to see how the Dan Nelson story is told....
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #182 on: June 24, 2021, 10:38:23 PM »
I came across this:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/sacked_anthrax_singer_slams_band.html

And saw this discussion (take it for what it is):
https://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/threads/was-this-ever-confirmed.644778/

Will definitely be curious to see how the Dan Nelson story is told....

So wait….who crapped on who? Earlier people were saying Dan was fired for crapping on Frank, but that thread makes it sound like Dan took a crap and hid it on the bus, and then the band retaliated by having Frank crap on Dan.

So did Dan crap on Frank? Or did Frank crap on Dan?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #183 on: June 25, 2021, 07:04:16 AM »
I also remember hearing rumours that Nelson was hitting on Scott's wife or something. I have nothing to back that up tho.

I hope they do clear up what happened.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #184 on: June 25, 2021, 03:11:41 PM »
Today's episode featured Stomp 442. I was interested in this because Stomp is hands down my favorite Anthrax release across all eras.

Nothing complicated about Danny's exit. He basically lost interest. You could tell it had been building for a while. I thought Scott was a bit too blunt but respect for Dan and his comments about the band.

The two guys that recorded Stomp seem like fucking jokers. :lol

That album came out at a weird time in my life, and it was the perfect album. The lyrics really spoke to me. I literally felt like Anthrax made the album just for me..

Seems they're on to Volume 8 in the next episode.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #185 on: June 25, 2021, 06:19:04 PM »
Today's episode featured Stomp 442. I was interested in this because Stomp is hands down my favorite Anthrax release across all eras.

Nothing complicated about Danny's exit. He basically lost interest. You could tell it had been building for a while. I thought Scott was a bit too blunt but respect for Dan and his comments about the band.

The two guys that recorded Stomp seem like fucking jokers. :lol

That album came out at a weird time in my life, and it was the perfect album. The lyrics really spoke to me. I literally felt like Anthrax made the album just for me..

Seems they're on to Volume 8 in the next episode.

I love Stomp 442 as well, and wanted this episode to last longer! i wanted more of those two guys...

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #186 on: June 25, 2021, 09:27:19 PM »
Danny's exit is pretty much exactly what I already knew. I had heard that they just couldn't find him when the time came to do the album. He just disappeared. The only revelation to me is that he did show up 2 or 3 times. But, yeah, the story I always knew was he never technically quit, he just disappeared and became a master Swiss watchmaker.

Nice to see Paul's hair is still as white as ever. Looked that way when I saw him tour with them. Hasn't changed much at all.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #187 on: June 26, 2021, 02:49:20 AM »
Great record. Some great sounds there. My interest in the band came back fully at this point. (I'd not fallen out of love with em or anything. My interest was just elsewhere at the time. Weird time of life.)

Volume 8 next which is the hidden gem of their whole career, imo.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #188 on: June 26, 2021, 07:30:55 AM »
I didn't mind the comments about John vs. Joey - I think they were just highlighting that it's impossible to please everyone.  Some people won't be into the new lineup and some will, even when it comes to other musicians that were fans at that time.

I don't see them being very forthcoming about Dan Nelson's exit, since they haven't been in the past.  I'm excited for the segment on WCFYA through the first Joey reunion and Dan Nelson.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #189 on: June 26, 2021, 07:33:31 AM »
Okay, so I've looked and looked and I must be an idiot, bc I can't find the podcast you guys are all referencing—what podcast is this where I can listen to a couple of guys discussing Stomp 442?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #190 on: June 26, 2021, 09:38:05 AM »
Okay, so I've looked and looked and I must be an idiot, bc I can't find the podcast you guys are all referencing—what podcast is this where I can listen to a couple of guys discussing Stomp 442?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQef8udFb0I

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #191 on: June 27, 2021, 07:48:21 AM »
That Stomp episode was great.  As you guys have said, I wish it was longer.  Very cool to hear Danny be so open about leaving the band.  I never got to see him with the original line-up the first time around.  I had to wait until the reunion tour with him and Joey. 

The Stomp tour was pretty cool.  I got to see them at this awesome shithole in NJ called the Birch Hill (R.I.P.) with Life Of Agony and Deftones opening.  Wasn't a Deftones fan but was thrilled to be seeing LOA for the first time live.  It was also Paul Crook's first gig with the band.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #192 on: June 30, 2021, 11:28:52 AM »
I find it funny that while it seemed the band had all sorts of stops and starts during the Bush Era, that the release of the videos covering that era are haphazard as hell. :lol

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #193 on: July 01, 2021, 12:19:12 AM »
I could have used a little more about the music on that one. But probably biased as I love that album so much.

Cool to hear Charlie name Stealing From A Thief as one of their best tracks. Have always felt the chorus has a perfect alignment of syllables, melody and delivery.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #194 on: July 01, 2021, 07:25:20 AM »
I could have used a little more about the music on that one. But probably biased as I love that album so much.

Cool to hear Charlie name Stealing From A Thief as one of their best tracks. Have always felt the chorus has a perfect alignment of syllables, melody and delivery.

Stealing From a Thief' just might be my favorite album closer, with 'This is Not an Exit' running a close second.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #195 on: July 01, 2021, 10:25:33 AM »
I too wanted to learn a little bit more about the songs on Volume 8 - and that's the Anthrax album I listened to THE LEAST.

The pun on Sabbath's Volume 4 would have landed if they did a spoof of the original album cover. The way they did it, the joke fell incredibly flat.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #196 on: July 01, 2021, 12:31:50 PM »

I agree. And for me, I would say the same thing about Stomp 442. They really glossed over these albums. In a way, I'm a bit disappointed because it's this era that is the most mysterious, and for me, the most interesting.

But it's typical with rock docs and books, as they spend half of it going over the beginnings and gloss over the actual majority of the career.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #197 on: July 01, 2021, 01:09:21 PM »
Not sure if this video was already discussed or not but I just saw it recently. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiI-7Lfg71I

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #198 on: July 01, 2021, 07:11:05 PM »
Not sure if this video was already discussed or not but I just saw it recently. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiI-7Lfg71I
He HAD to say this and get it off his chest...  forty years later.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #199 on: July 03, 2021, 04:22:17 AM »

#MEETOO

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #200 on: July 03, 2021, 12:59:58 PM »
So you're saying he had to get this off his chest?  :biggrin:

Seriously, there might be some truth to what he's saying, but he really does himself a disservice looking like a has been never was that's just whining. If you're gonna make a video like this, for starters plan what you're gonna say and don't do it completely off the cuff. Make sure you can back up your claims with something more concrete like some recordings that give indisputable evidence. Better yet, have Neil Turbin and/or Greg D'Angelo vouch for you. At this point, it's a "he said/she said" scenario, and he just comes off looking like a fool.  :facepalm:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #201 on: July 03, 2021, 01:01:49 PM »
I've seen that video pop up before, and I've frankly never had any interest in watching it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #202 on: July 03, 2021, 01:12:39 PM »
He makes a few valid arguments (how the creation of the songs happened) and the fact that he doesn’t seem to be seeking money, only acknowledgment. But ya, mostly just whiny and angry.

I mean, if it is true, he probably has a right to be angry…but after 40 years, you have to grow up and learn to live with the fact that you made an extremely poor decision not to say something a long time ago and move on. I’m not still whining over the guy who stole my brand new leather jacket when I was 16. I made a poor decision to leave it out in a place where I thought I could trust people. I’ve moved on.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #203 on: July 03, 2021, 01:13:50 PM »
So no J-Dude show with a leather jacket rant coming up?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #204 on: July 03, 2021, 01:14:44 PM »
So no J-Dude show with a leather jacket rant coming up?

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Well, now that I’m thinking about, I’m pissed off all over again!!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #205 on: July 03, 2021, 01:16:02 PM »
That's the spirit! :lol

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #206 on: July 05, 2021, 06:36:31 PM »
Just watched the newest episode.  It was definitely a crazy time for them.  Caggiano was always interesting to me.  That Mike Nesmith-ish wool cap he always wore at the beginning always cracked me up.  Their set at the New York Steel show was absolutely amazing.  For everyone there who realized what they were going through at the time with their name, the crowd roar they came out to when they were wearing those Tyvek suits had to be mind-blowing for them.  I remember screaming at the top of my lungs.  They played a short set.  But, they killed it!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #207 on: July 07, 2021, 07:09:15 AM »
Nice ticket scan!

I also liked the last episode, because it was really a dark time for them. I wasn't paying a ton of attention to them, yet there also didn't seem much to pay attention too. I remember there being a long time between Vol 8 and WCFYA.

They also seemed to better explain Paul Crook leaving the band than they did with Joey.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #208 on: July 07, 2021, 07:30:38 AM »
They also seemed to better explain Paul Crook leaving the band than they did with Joey.

I got the gist of why they fired Joey back then - Charlie admitted to being arrogant and Scott said that he just felt that creatively, they needed another singer.  It was just this decision of "we need a new singer," even though the reason for needing one was probably very thin and not easily explainable.  In their heads, Anthrax had to have a new singer in order to be a creative force again, regardless of how anyone else felt about it.

I was surprised at the last episode.  10 minutes of them just saying "BUT IT'S JOHN CARPENTER!"   :lol   I was worried that they were going to completely gloss over the WCFYA record, but thankfully that's going to be the next episode.  That album is what brought me back to Anthrax after giving up on them with Volume 8. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #209 on: July 07, 2021, 07:39:21 AM »
I got the gist of why they fired Joey back then - Charlie admitted to being arrogant and Scott said that he just felt that creatively, they needed another singer.  It was just this decision of "we need a new singer," even though the reason for needing one was probably very thin and not easily explainable.  In their heads, Anthrax had to have a new singer in order to be a creative force again, regardless of how anyone else felt about it.

Oh I totally get it. I just thought they'd spend a bit more time on it.

I was worried that they were going to completely gloss over the WCFYA record, but thankfully that's going to be the next episode.  That album is what brought me back to Anthrax after giving up on them with Volume 8. 

I simply do not get WCFYA. At all.