Author Topic: The Anthrax thread  (Read 24222 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Anthrax thread
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2019, 10:32:12 PM »
I have only seen Anthrax once and I remember it for 2 reasons :

- it was one of only a couple of gigs where I managed to sneak into an over 18s venue while underage :)

- the "moshing" in the crowd was frightening

Persistence of Time tour in 1990 I think.

When it comes to Anthrax 90% of my listening is to one album - Spreading The Disease.  Perfect melodic metal/thrash.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2019, 09:25:00 AM »
SOWN is my all time favorite Anthrax album. It’s absolutely perfection.

:metal :metal :metal :metal

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2019, 09:34:59 AM »
Hard for me to pick a favorite - it usually goes to Among the Living due to the nostalgia of having bought that album first when I was 14 years old.  A longhair in my tech class in high school gave me Persistence of Time to sample, but I don't remember liking it back then.

But if I want to be honest and based on enjoyment factor alone, I'd probably say We've Come For You All is my favorite.  I listened to that disc non stop from 2003-2005.  They came off the Volume 8 slump and knocked it out of the park.  Every single song on WCFYA is massive.

I still have yet to see them live, but maybe someday I can rectify that. 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2019, 10:57:53 AM »
ATL is easily my favorite. Interesting Anthrax discussion here:

https://forum.metal-archives.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=122922&hilit=anthrax

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2019, 06:08:51 PM »
Holy shit, I'm out of breath just listening to him! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2019, 05:14:34 AM »
Holy shit, I'm out of breath just listening to him! :lol

;D :D :rollin

He does talk a lot!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2020, 05:19:08 PM »
Just got my 30th Anniversary CD and Vinyl editions of their greatest record, Persistence Of Time.

So glad to finally have this beast on vinyl. I always thought this was their darkest and most serious record. Then I read the liner notes and Scott talks about how this is their darkest record and gives background snippets to what fueled each song.

Man, I just love this thing. Listening now, again.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2020, 05:24:05 PM »
Just got my 30th Anniversary CD and Vinyl editions of their greatest record, Persistence Of Time.

So glad to finally have this beast on vinyl. I always thought this was their darkest and most serious record. Then I read the liner notes and Scott talks about how this is their darkest record and gives background snippets to what fueled each song.

Man, I just love this thing. Listening now, again.

I posted in the album thread. This album is amazing. They crushed it on this tour too.

Any extras with the anniversary edition?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2020, 06:56:16 PM »
There's extra's, but it's not much. An interesting live version of I'm The Man and then a bunch of what are essentially 'making of' tracks. Not exactly demo's. There's also a DVD with footage of them touring with Maiden. Looks like it is camcorder type stuff. Charlie playing Nicko's kit on a couple of songs with Maiden. Frankie and 'Arry playing ping-pong. Behind the scenes stuff. It's rough, but watchable.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2020, 07:37:56 AM »
Persistence of Time is my favorite record with Joey, and I love it. I've had it pre-ordered from Amazon for months, and of course, there was yet another "delay" and I might get it tomorrow (Saturday). Grrr...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2021, 08:23:01 PM »
https://bravewords.com/news/anthrax-release-anthrax-40-episode-3-fistful-of-metal-it-s-a-long-way-to-the-top-video

So Anthrax are posting history of the band episodes leading up to July 18, which is the official 40th anniversary of the formation of the band. They are releasing videos every M-W-F. This past week are the first three episodes covering the formation of the band through Fistful Of Metal. Each episode runs 10-15 minutes. As a fan of Anthrax from the jump, these are fantastic. They detail the firing of Danny Lilker in great detail. Very interesting.

If you're a fan of the band, or would like to learn more about them, check these out.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2021, 10:39:57 PM »
I literally just finished watching the first 3. I will definitely be on top of these.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2021, 08:48:21 AM »
Persistence of Time is my favorite record with Joey, and I love it.
I'm right there with ya.  Among is obviously awesome, too.  But, the darker, more mature sound of Persistence is absolutely perfect.  And, I love how Frank's bass really pops throughout the whole album.  Truthfully, the only Joey album I'm not (NOT!) a fan of is State Of Euphoria.  I find the lyrics from a few of the songs to be pretty weak.

And, they're really hitting it out of the park with the 40th anniversary videos.  Looking forward to hearing from Joey next week.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2021, 09:03:36 AM »
Neil Turbin really put Scott in a pickle with Danny Lilker. That’s fucking awful.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2021, 09:41:06 AM »
Neil Turbin really put Scott in a pickle with Danny Lilker. That’s fucking awful.

Yeah, I always thought Lilker quit for some reason. I had no idea Neil fired him. I always knew there was some sort of friction with Scott and Danny over the years but they did do the S.O.D. records so it clearly worked itself out. Though, if I remember correctly, when VH1 did the Behind The Music, they neglected to mention Danny as a co-founder or something and it set Danny off. I think Scott had to do damage control on that. He said they clearly credited him in the interviews and whatnot, but VH1 left it out or altered it or something.

It's a pipe dream, but it would be cool to see Danny up there for a few of his songs if they do a tour or something. I know he's retired, but seems it would close the loop. Maybe at a show they record or something. He still has it from the quarantine songs he's played with Charlie and Scott.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 10:33:33 AM by ProfessorPeart »

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2021, 10:31:45 AM »
It's a pipe dream, but it would be cool to see Danny up there for a few of his songs if they do a tour or something. I know he's retired, but seems it would close the loop. Maybe at a show they record or something. He still has it from the quarantine songs he's played with Charlie and Scott.
Maybe it'll happen at the 40th anniversary livestream show they're doing.  Since he, Neil and Spitz have all been involved in these videos, maybe they play Deathrider together.  *fingers (and toes) crossed*

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2021, 04:49:45 PM »
Episode 4

This was a great clip. I was LMAO.

How fucking old is Joey?

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2021, 09:23:22 PM »
Episode 4

How fucking old is Joey?
He's a few years older than Scott and Charlie.  I believe he's 60.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2021, 01:33:14 AM »
60 years old, I'm wondering if his hair is all his own or does he don a wig?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2021, 05:35:14 AM »

Probably a weave.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2021, 08:00:09 AM »

Probably a weave.
It definitely looks a little weird.  But, really no worse than Gene or Paul.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2021, 01:40:24 PM »
I love Anthrax. By far my favourite and most-listened-to of the big classic thrash bands to this day. Their unique vibe, sound and energy is so fresh and natural sounding. Charlie is an incredible drummer.

These videos are great.  :tup :metal
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2021, 02:00:08 PM »
I rode a commuter train home from work with Charlie once.  I remember seeing him once before on the train and thinking "that guy looks like Charlie Benante."   So about two years ago, I get on my usual train home from work and I look down and see this:

I was so confused - why would the drummer from Anthrax be on my little commuter train home to the northwest Chicago suburbs.  Turns out the lives about 12 miles from me - I knew he was in the Chicago area, but would have expected that he'd live in a different county than mine.  He was coming home from a day of shopping with his girlfriend (Carla from the Butcher Babies.).  I left them alone - if I ever catch him again, I'll say hi.

And yes, I used his mugshot in the collage that day - it was the only good picture I could find of his head for comparison purposes.   :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2021, 02:32:45 PM »
I love Anthrax. By far my favourite and most-listened-to of the big classic thrash bands to this day. Their unique vibe, sound and energy is so fresh and natural sounding. Charlie is an incredible drummer.

This is me as well.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline pg1067

« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2021, 04:12:03 PM »

This is me as well.

Same.  I can still recall midnight on New Year's Eve 1987-88, standing outside my friend's house, drunk off my ass (but not enough that I don't remember - that came later), and blaring A.I.R. on my truck's shitty stereo and "singing," at the top of my lungs, "Young and free, something you'll never be!"  To this day, A.I.R. and The Enemy are a couple of my all-time favorite songs by anyone.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2021, 05:42:38 PM »
Episode 4

How fucking old is Joey?

How fucking young is Frank ?  :o
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2021, 05:44:16 PM »
I rode a commuter train home from work with Charlie once.  I remember seeing him once before on the train and thinking "that guy looks like Charlie Benante."   So about two years ago, I get on my usual train home from work and I look down and see this:

I was so confused - why would the drummer from Anthrax be on my little commuter train home to the northwest Chicago suburbs.  Turns out the lives about 12 miles from me - I knew he was in the Chicago area, but would have expected that he'd live in a different county than mine.  He was coming home from a day of shopping with his girlfriend (Carla from the Butcher Babies.).  I left them alone - if I ever catch him again, I'll say hi.

And yes, I used his mugshot in the collage that day - it was the only good picture I could find of his head for comparison purposes.   :lol

If memory serves, I believe Charlie lives somewhere in the Elk Grove Village area. I know he is near Schaumburg, from what I remember. I believe Carla moved in with him there in the last year or two.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2021, 06:34:49 PM »
What does 604 Katrina mean? I always wondered...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2021, 06:49:40 PM »
We stayed in Schaumburg!

Watchung this 1986 show tonight..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1MMMKNwYys
 :metal

Yes Charlie has been a monster since the jump.

And Frankie is way underrated IMO.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2021, 07:33:51 PM »
Fan since Fistfull     some of the best guys to hang and party with ever ..period

a fav

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60bGmDp8JB0

"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Grappler

« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2021, 07:47:36 PM »
If memory serves, I believe Charlie lives somewhere in the Elk Grove Village area. I know he is near Schaumburg, from what I remember. I believe Carla moved in with him there in the last year or two.

He may have been around there originally, but I did a little sleuthing back then and found out that he lives in Long Grove.  I'm about 12 miles north of there. 

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2021, 08:17:18 PM »
Episode 4

How fucking old is Joey?

How fucking young is Frank ?  :o
Frankie is a few years younger than Charlie.  The project he did with David Ellefson (Altitudes and Attitude) is pretty good.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2021, 12:15:59 AM »
What does 604 Katrina mean? I always wondered...

It's about a seriously obese woman who reached 604 lbs in weight, I think.

Volume 8 is seriously underrated, imo.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2021, 12:52:56 AM »
Volume 8 is a mixed bag for me, it starts incredibly strong with Crush, Catharsis and Inside Out, but it has also a lot of fairly mediocre tunes.

It's not bad but could've been better, especially coming in between the great Stomp 442 and the almost equally great WCFYA.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D