Author Topic: The Anthrax thread  (Read 24353 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The Anthrax thread
« Reply #210 on: July 07, 2021, 11:07:58 AM »
Not sure if this video was already discussed or not but I just saw it recently. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiI-7Lfg71I

Even if he's right - which I find dubious - I HATE videos like that.  "I HAVE to be honest, I have to be blunt!"  "I quit because Scott was a bastard and rip-off artist".    No, you're a fucking nobody and Scott is in one of the Big Four (I know that doesn't necessarily follow logically, but still).  You can be anything you want, and coming out 40 years later with an angry victim story isn't going to give you any more credibility than that. 

EDIT:  The more I watch - and I can't pull away - it's more maddening.  He's basically saying "Scott Ian ripped me off, but I wrote those and can prove it because I ripped off Ted Nugent and Moody Blues!"   He claims an "affinity" for the "walk-down" and fails to acknowledge that Motorhead did that ("Ace Of Spades") long before him. 

I think some of the shots at Ian - "Rosenfeld" and "he can't play guitar" - are unnecessary, especially from a guy that basically flipped houses his whole life. 

Bitterness is such an ugly trait.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 01:47:43 PM by Stadler »

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #211 on: July 08, 2021, 01:56:06 PM »
They also seemed to better explain Paul Crook leaving the band than they did with Joey.

[EPICVIEW] I disagree Boss ,,, thats not really the way it happened

They say its about how they have no money,  its about signing Caggiano to a contract for less money.  but its obvious that they were pissed off at him by the way he accused Carpenter of leaving an error in a movie. Thats the real reason why they kicked him out.     comparing him to Belladonna is just ridiculous

The drama is better than the music.... love the spin on this one by the "band"   MY OPINION[/EPICVIEW]

:biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #212 on: July 08, 2021, 02:05:02 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #213 on: July 08, 2021, 03:01:46 PM »
Ouch! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #214 on: July 09, 2021, 11:41:00 AM »
WCFYA video is up. It's my least favourite of the Bush albums by a long way, honestly.

I love Refuse To Be Denied, Superhero, Nobody Knows Anything and Black Dahlia.

What Doesn't Die, WCFYA, Any Place But Here, Strap It On and Think About An End a fair bit less.

Safe Home, Cadillac Rock Box, Taking The Music Back don't do anything for me.

I saw them on this tour in London, though, and it was an absolutely fantastic night. I'd been into them since Among came out but had not seen them until that point.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #215 on: July 09, 2021, 05:11:04 PM »
 What caught my attention is that at the end of the WCFYA video it says "coming up next" and the cover of Worship Music is shown. Which means they will completely ignore two albums - The Greater of Two Evils and Music of Mass Destruction - and the whole Dan Nelson fiasco.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #216 on: July 09, 2021, 06:23:07 PM »
WCFYA video is up. It's my least favourite of the Bush albums by a long way, honestly.

It's easily my least favorite Anthrax album, and the only one I actively don't like.

To me, there's just something missing. There's no melody, just straight ahead brutality.

I do like Taking The Music Back, Any Place But Here, and Think About An End. Safe Home would be much better without that ungodly verse.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #217 on: July 09, 2021, 07:39:45 PM »
Quote from: TAC link=topic=6956.msg2788452#msg2788452 date=162587
To me, there's just something missing. There's no melody, just straight ahead brutality.

[/quote

That's probably why i love the album so much!   :metal :metal :metal :metal

It really was a great comeback record after Volume 8.  Every song on WCFYA just knocks you on your ass with a HUGE riff.  John's vocals have plenty of melody for me.  At the time I was just a casual Anthrax fan, but this disc put them back in one of my top bands.  I remember listening to this album so much throughout 2003 - I had just gotten my first real office job out of college and it was my commute music as I drove my '72 Mustang down the highway.  No A/C, windows down, WCFYA cranked as loud as possible, racing through rush hour traffic. 

I really regret not going to the Chicago Metro show that they filmed for the DVD on this tour.   I honestly think I'd put this album as my #2 Anthrax record behind Among the Living.  It's just that good.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #218 on: July 09, 2021, 08:36:00 PM »
What caught my attention is that at the end of the WCFYA video it says "coming up next" and the cover of Worship Music is shown. Which means they will completely ignore two albums - The Greater of Two Evils and Music of Mass Destruction - and the whole Dan Nelson fiasco.
I noticed that, too.  I'm hoping that, even if the majority of the episode focuses on Worship Music, they at least talk about the Joey/John tour that fell through and the Dan Nelson debacle.  I mean, there was even a reunion of the classic line-up for about a year or so that resulted in a live CD/DVD.  I was at that show in Sayreville they recorded.  What an amazing show that was!  The energy was incredible.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #219 on: July 09, 2021, 08:39:01 PM »
Didn't Frank leave for a bit too?

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #220 on: July 09, 2021, 09:00:15 PM »
Yeah, he left in 2004 (to join Helmet) and was replaced by Armored Saint's Joey Vera. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #221 on: July 09, 2021, 11:03:01 PM »
Yeah, he left in 2004 (to join Helmet) and was replaced by Armored Saint's Joey Vera.

I saw them with Joey Vera.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #222 on: July 10, 2021, 12:32:46 AM »

It's easily my least favorite Anthrax album, and the only one I actively don't like.

I do like Taking The Music Back, Any Place But Here, and Think About An End. Safe Home would be much better without that ungodly verse.

Funny isn't it? The metal parts for me are great, but the less metal parts just don't pump me. Unlike Vol 8 where they did. There's almost a rock vibe on it that feels like Thrax Diluted
 to me.

Totally agree about the verse on Safe Home. The chorus is ok but the the verse is super clunky, somehow.

I also don't agree with them about the great sound they talked about. It sounds kinda muffled and mid-rangey to me.

But I loved it at the time and played the hell out of it. Also have lots of car memories of it. I feel bad moaning about it cos I love the band, of course.

There sure is a lot to cover before the arrival of WM!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #223 on: July 10, 2021, 11:04:12 AM »
Just been in the car down to the local shops to pick up a steak with Nobody Know Anything at a massive volume.

The drums on that track are fucking incredible!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #224 on: July 10, 2021, 01:22:00 PM »
I noticed that, too.  I'm hoping that, even if the majority of the episode focuses on Worship Music, they at least talk about the Joey/John tour that fell through and the Dan Nelson debacle.
Given that they're going through their whole history, I will be very disappointed if they completely blow off the Dan Nelson debacle as if it never happened.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #225 on: July 10, 2021, 01:52:27 PM »
Same.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #226 on: July 11, 2021, 05:41:25 AM »
Well, Worship Music was written at the time that Dan Nelson was in the band and he sang some of those songs live.   Maybe they don't get into the details, but I think they could mention him.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: July 11, 2021, 05:56:20 AM »
Always found it hard to get into this band, although For All Kings is excellent.

Anyway, scrolling through my YouTube recomendations the video for a song called What Doesn't Die popped up.  Since I've been digging the latest Armored Saint gave it a view.  Man, awesome heavy shit.  I think I own WCFYA (Lol, never listened to probably) but I might try and find it and give it a spin.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #228 on: July 15, 2021, 01:53:53 PM »
WTF is going on with this video series??

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #229 on: July 15, 2021, 02:32:31 PM »
WTF is going on with this video series??
The same disc as happened with the rotating door of their vocalists! Nobody knows!

Probably worried about Dan Nelson slapping them with a lawsuit.  :P  Be curious to see if and how they address that whole mess. Can't imagine they'd talk Dan into appearing on the video even if they gave him some money - the fall out between them seemed pretty bad.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #230 on: July 15, 2021, 04:27:31 PM »
Alright...so I finally got around to watching this, and boy oh boy, this might be the best 'metal' documentary I've ever watched (spoken as a huge Anthrax fan).

Really well done, so kudos to all the guys in the band.

I'm definitely on the island with the four other dudes who not only prefer the John Bush years, but rank his albums way up on the list (SOWN is a top-5 album of the 90's for me), but I appreciated all the early years stuff.

It's funny, the episode where they talked about the singer change was pretty much ten minutes of beating around the bush  ;)

All in all, I can't wait to watch the rest of this series...been listening to the catalog all week...totally forgot how good For All Kings sounds.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #231 on: July 18, 2021, 08:59:59 AM »
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 09:08:49 AM by TAC »

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #232 on: July 18, 2021, 10:55:24 AM »
Dangit Tim - I was thinking they finally uploaded a new episode. Guess not.   :tdwn

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #233 on: July 18, 2021, 04:20:52 PM »
The live stream was yesterday.

Anthrax released this video from it..The Devil You Know
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkmSzdiwGS0

They also released a Thank You video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGD-LU2fksM

This dude has uploaded a couple of tracks:
AIR
Among The Living

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #234 on: July 18, 2021, 06:53:02 PM »
This is the setlist according to some dude n Youtube that is doing a review of it.

Anthrax - 40th Anniversary Livestream Tracklist:

Fight 'Em 'Til You Can't (With “Time” intro)
Madhouse
Caught in a Mosh
Metal Thrashing Mad
Got the Time
I Am the Law
Keep It in the Family
Lone Justice
The Devil You Know
Be All, End All
Now It's Dark
Antisocial
In the End
Medusa
Evil Twin
Indians
A Skeleton in the Closet
Aftershock
Blood Eagle Wings
Bring the Noise
A.I.R.
Among the Living
Encore:
Breathing Lightning
Protest and Survive
Efilnikufesin (N.F.L.)

No Bush tunes??

Offline Grappler

« Reply #235 on: July 18, 2021, 07:12:23 PM »
Given that Neil Turbin and John Bush both participated in the web docuseries, I really thought they would bring them back to sing a few songs for the livestream.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #236 on: July 18, 2021, 07:13:59 PM »
Did they talk about the Dan debacle?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #237 on: July 18, 2021, 07:23:46 PM »
Given that Neil Turbin and John Bush both participated in the web docuseries, I really thought they would bring them back to sing a few songs for the livestream.

Yeah I agree, and that would be a big letdown if I were to pay for it. I would've expected John Bush for 3 or 4 tracks.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #238 on: July 18, 2021, 09:36:03 PM »
Did they talk about the Dan debacle?
Not yet - that's what I'm waiting for, which should be in the next episode (23) if they continue on with it. Now that they've done the live stream, there's less to celebrate, so I'm wondering if they still will. Hopefully we'll find out soon...

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #239 on: July 19, 2021, 06:45:16 AM »
Despite all the hype about this livestream, looking at the setlist it feels like they played it safe. No guests, no deep tracks...

Offline Grappler

« Reply #240 on: July 19, 2021, 08:12:11 AM »
Despite all the hype about this livestream, looking at the setlist it feels like they played it safe. No guests, no deep tracks...

That's how I felt.  I think the lack of any guest vocalist is out of deference to Joey.  I always get the feeling that they have to walk on eggshells regarding him and any potential thing with someone else singing in the band, even a guest spot.  At least they played a long set.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #241 on: July 19, 2021, 10:24:39 AM »

That's how I felt.  I think the lack of any guest vocalist is out of deference to Joey.  I always get the feeling that they have to walk on eggshells regarding him and any potential thing with someone else singing in the band, even a guest spot.  At least they played a long set.

That's exactly my take. They have been bitten too many times with trying a multi-vocalist thing. They are in a good place with Joey and he is bringing it. I think they have learned not poke the bear, so to speak. I believe they have only had Joe sing Only. Not sure if they have ever even discussed other John era songs with him. Would actually love to know if it has ever came up. But then I can see why maybe it never has. The way they dumped Joe, I guess I couldn't blame him if he had no interest.

As for the setlist, Aftershock and Lone Justice were surprises. I would have loved to see Armed and Dangerous complete with the intro in there.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #242 on: July 20, 2021, 02:18:13 PM »
New video!

Unfortunately, it's just a 5 minute thank you vid.

TAC will get excited by Frankie's shirt, that's about it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #243 on: July 20, 2021, 02:55:53 PM »
Yes, that's a fine piece of wardrobe there!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #244 on: July 21, 2021, 10:51:30 AM »
Here's my .02 about the 40th anniversary livestream -- it was marketed as a celebration of the band's FULL history. The imagery associated with promoting the event contained the cover images of the Bush-era catalog. AT THE VERY LEAST songs from the Bush era should have been played. They sure as hell played stuff from Turbin. Why not John Bush?

They played "Only" during the Big 4. So there's no excuses. The bottom line is, Anthrax MISREPRESENTED what they were doing. It was a great show, marred because they essentially lied about what they were doing.

I don't know what the deal is with them and Bush. They (Charlie, Scott, Frankie) LOVE the Bush era catalog, and frankly, that's the music they want to play. Joey says the right things, but obviously, the proof is in the pudding -- he doesn't sing the Bush stuff except for "Only" during that brief period. I thought that Bush and the Anthrax guys were all in a good place, relationship-wise. Maybe they still are. All I know is, while I didn't expect Bush to be there (although I was really hoping for it), I DID expect, based on what Anthrax marketed the show as, a representation of the Bush era catalog. And we got ZERO.

They won't be getting my money again for a while.

My wife and I have seen Anthrax many, many times. Always a good show. We stopped going to see them, however, because the setlist got stale. I think we saw the first leg of the For All Kings tour. But all the songs other than those on the new record were stuff we've heard many times. It just got stale.

I was just saying, prior to the Anthrax livestream, that we should probably go see them again, and about a quarter of the way through, was really encouraged by how well they were playing. At the end, after we realized they bamboozled us into thinking they'd celebrate the Bush era catalog, we completely reversed course.

What Anthrax did was a slap in the face to John Bush and a slap in the face to the fans. Hell, I even got banned from Anthrax's Facebook page by saying that they put on a wonderful show but at the same time, did the Bush era fans wrong and it was disrespectful to Bush. That got my comment deleted and me banned from their page.  :lol ::)

Alrighty then... lol.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!