Author Topic: The Anthrax thread  (Read 24239 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Anthrax thread
« Reply #140 on: May 18, 2021, 03:11:25 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2021, 03:57:03 PM »
I will definitely read this.

https://bravewords.com/news/anthrax-bassist-frank-bello-to-release-memoir-in-october-features-foreword-by-gene-simmons

I didn't know his brother was murdered.

The hidden track 'Pieces' on Vol 8 was written and sung by Frankie about his brother. On the reissue they made it a regular bonus track.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #142 on: May 18, 2021, 04:04:00 PM »
Oh wow, OK. I don't think I had ever listened to it the whole way through.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #143 on: May 19, 2021, 08:02:51 AM »
Good song.

Interesting to hear Frank talking about the bass tone on Among - that they spent a lot of time finding the right frequency for it to be audible between the guitar and drums. That's the core Thrax sound right there.

I think the two Joey reunion albums have been fine and have some good tracks but I've found the sound and feel a little blander somehow. Hope the new one has that real core Anthrax sound and energy.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #144 on: May 19, 2021, 03:22:01 PM »
I think the two Joey reunion albums have been fine and have some good tracks but I've found the sound and feel a little blander somehow. Hope the new one has that real core Anthrax sound and energy.

I've always liked them, but I listened to them today while doing yardwork.

Joey's bass doesn't quite have the same clang it did on the classic albums. It's funny how things produced decades ago sound better than modern albums.

Anyway, I hear what you're saying, but I think sound wise they're fine. Both albums are excellent and have tons of Anthraxisms throughout.

Been watchung some older and newer live clips on youtube and I have to say, Joey is strong live. Way underrated in that regard.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #145 on: May 19, 2021, 06:57:59 PM »
I saw Anthrax with John Bush and Joey, 2 or 3 months apart, in 2005. Joey has improved A LOT after his definitive comeback.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #146 on: May 20, 2021, 12:17:48 AM »
Yeah, I think they're solid releases. Tons of respect. Love that they're still making good albums.

It's funny how things produced decades ago sound better than modern albums.

But so much this.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #147 on: May 20, 2021, 04:43:18 AM »
Blood Eagle Wings suits Joey's current voice perfectly. He nails it.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #148 on: May 20, 2021, 05:03:26 AM »

I take this back wrt For All Kings.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #149 on: May 20, 2021, 07:53:41 AM »
Blood Eagle Wings suits Joey's current voice perfectly. He nails it.

That whole song is AWESOME! And I agree that Frankie's bass is not that prominent on their more recent releases, but at least on Blood Eagle wings he gets to be in the forefront - and with a cool bass effect too!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #150 on: May 21, 2021, 09:57:01 PM »
Just watched today's episode. Funniest thing was the caption they gave Caggiano. 'Fun guy to have a beer with'.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #151 on: June 02, 2021, 02:37:00 PM »
So the Anthrax video series on youtube last week focused on State Of Euphoria. They talked a lot about how rushed it was, and Scott said the only songs that he felt were totally finished were Be All, End All, Now It's Dark, Who Cares Wins, and Finale.
Finale is actually one of my favorite Joey Era tracks.

This week, they will be talking about Persistence Of Time. Things should start getting interesting now.
The other night, I came across these two videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvjes9lN9IM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_wWkSR_VEU

They just do not look happy talking about this era.

Gonna watch the anniversary series video now..

Really just 10 minutes of them talking about the mood of the band around this time..
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 02:49:45 PM by TAC »

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #152 on: June 03, 2021, 07:46:57 AM »
 Another great episode. The 10 minutes of each episode go by VERY quickly!

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #153 on: June 03, 2021, 09:33:57 AM »
They do! Love this band.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #154 on: June 03, 2021, 08:01:04 PM »
I could watch these episodes all day long.  I can't wait 'til they release the whole 3-hour or so long-form video of their entire history when they're all done.  Supposedly, there will be even more footage than what they've been releasing. 

And, I can't wait for that mid-July 40th anniversary concert!  It will be awesome to hear the John Bush catalog again.  PLEASE let him be a part of it!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #155 on: June 18, 2021, 07:29:44 PM »
Frank Bello was on Robb Flynn's podcast, and like all podcasts, it takes a while tio get going, but once Frank starts talking about his life, holy shit is it is is engaging. I really can't wait for his book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ac6JnbbW0s

Also, whoever was in charge of uploading the youtube history videos was asleep at the wheel this week. We got the only video today where they talk about letting Joey go and bringing John in. Good stuff.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #156 on: June 19, 2021, 08:57:22 AM »

Also, whoever was in charge of uploading the youtube history videos was asleep at the wheel this week. We got the only video today where they talk about letting Joey go and bringing John in. Good stuff.

Tell me about it. I was searching YouTube every day looking for a new video. They have slipped from the 3 a week to 2 a week and just the one this week.

You can tell how conflicted Scott and Charlie are with their decision to let Joey go. I tend to wonder if they had it to do over again, would they? I have seen in other interviews where they both stated how they feel so bad about letting Joey go.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #157 on: June 19, 2021, 10:10:39 AM »
I watched the episode twice.  Honestly, I was a little let down in their explanation why Joey had to be fired.  "Creative ability for the band to move forward."  Meh.  Very vague.  He was good enough up until 91 and he's been good enough for the last 11 years.  But, not so much for those years in between.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #158 on: June 21, 2021, 01:25:44 PM »
I think it was simple - they'd tired of his approach somewhat and thought the band needed to be gruffer in the context of what was cool at the time. Not especially pleasant, really, but I can understand it. Must be hard to talk about, given how well they all seem to get along now.

Online billboy73

« Reply #159 on: June 23, 2021, 08:28:03 AM »
Really enjoyed the episode from yesterday, and I can't wait to get deeper into the Bush era.  Sound of White Noise does sound like a progression from Persistence, and I do agree that Bush fits that mold better than Joey.  Yeah, they didn't handle the Joey firing well, but I agree that it was a better fit for where they were going.  I just can't imagine Joey singing some of that mid-paced groove stuff on Stomp 442.  There are things I would like to hear him sing from the Bush era though.  I look at Bushthrax and Van Hagar in much the same way, both different, but excellent versions of already great and successful bands.

I wonder how much they will cover the Dan Nelson era and when Bush came back to cover a handful of gigs before Joey returned.  I hope they at least discuss some of that, and not just gloss over it and be like Joey came back and here we are!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #160 on: June 23, 2021, 09:16:19 AM »
Really enjoyed the episode from yesterday, and I can't wait to get deeper into the Bush era.  Sound of White Noise does sound like a progression from Persistence, and I do agree that Bush fits that mold better than Joey.  Yeah, they didn't handle the Joey firing well, but I agree that it was a better fit for where they were going.  I just can't imagine Joey singing some of that mid-paced groove stuff on Stomp 442.  There are things I would like to hear him sing from the Bush era though.  I look at Bushthrax and Van Hagar in much the same way, both different, but excellent versions of already great and successful bands.

I wonder how much they will cover the Dan Nelson era and when Bush came back to cover a handful of gigs before Joey returned.  I hope they at least discuss some of that, and not just gloss over it and be like Joey came back and here we are!

These episodes get better and better!

I do believe that Joey could have sung some of the material on those Bushthrax albums, but not all. He did sing 'Only" on that Big 4 concert in Bulgaria, and I think he has a harder edge in the songs of Worship Music and For All Kings, compared to his first tenure in the band. Scott and Charlie have admitted they fired Joey in part because both of them were not 100% mature at that time. Maybe if they spoke with him and mentioned they wanted to down tune stuff and have more of a plodding pace than before, he would/could have adapted.

I hope they include some stuff about Dan Nelson, much like I need to look at a car crash when I drive by it...morbid curiosity. And I did see a show with Bush when he was helping them while they figured things out - a mid afternoon slot on a festival. I was kinda hoping he would agree to return, but the band wanted him to simply do the vocals on Worship Music over the material that was already recorded, and he wanted to have an input on the way the songs were structured. That's the official version anyway, but I get the feeling that in John's mind, the Anthrax ship had sailed at that point, and he would rather have fun with his friends on Armored Saint. He has a voiceover business which allows him financial stability and a chance to see his daughter grow - why going on the road once again for as long as Anthrax does, and risk hearing all the criticism once again?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #161 on: June 23, 2021, 09:34:09 AM »
Bushthrax!   I haven't heard that one before!  :)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #162 on: June 23, 2021, 09:40:19 AM »
Joey singing Only - and missing half of the lyrics : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqzBpQMH0kY

And I didn't know Andreas Kisser played with them - that would have been great to see!!!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #163 on: June 23, 2021, 09:51:16 AM »
I remember when I bought White Noise, I spent a lot of my first listens trying to decide if Joey could have sung them. I was angry over the Joey firing, but still bought the album on the strength of Only and the fact that I loved the band.

I think Joey has proven on the reunion albums that he was capable to handle the change. I loved John 5's honesty and take on the change. He conveyed my feelings exactly. Different, not necessarily better, but still good - I prefer the original. And like him, when I reach for some Anthrax, I generally reach for Joey material. But I still love Bush (you know what I mean, get your mind out of the gutter).

As for the doc, things will get messy after We've Come For You All. There was the classic lineup reunion and tour (which I saw and I was like a little kid I was so excited) and then Joey and Danny departed again and then the whole Bush/Nelson/Bush/Belladonna/Caggiano lineup changes.

They seem pretty open so far, so I kind of expect them to at least mention it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #164 on: June 23, 2021, 10:56:29 AM »
I remember when I bought White Noise, I spent a lot of my first listens trying to decide if Joey could have sung them. I was angry over the Joey firing, but still bought the album on the strength of Only and the fact that I loved the band.

I think Joey has proven on the reunion albums that he was capable to handle the change. I loved John 5's honesty and take on the change. He conveyed my feelings exactly. Different, not necessarily better, but still good - I prefer the original. And like him, when I reach for some Anthrax, I generally reach for Joey material. But I still love Bush (you know what I mean, get your mind out of the gutter).

Yeah the John 5 clip was quite interesting. I found it interesting that it made the final edit. And then to hear Scott talk about the Black Lodge video and single, you can feel the air come out.

But to back up....my first thought when I heard the let Joey go was....why? They seemed to have finally achieved major success, increasing their notoriety with every passing album. They finally were co headlining major tours. I really can't believe they were willing to give that up.

But to their credit, they wanted the change. They wanted to move the band/music in a different direction. John thought his songs needed a different kind of voice. To me, it was career suicide, but you have to respect that.

When I heard it was John Bush joining, I was psyched on one hand, but extremely disappointed on the other because that basically meant the end of Armored Saint, who also just had put out their best album, though real success proved to be more fleeting for them.

In 1991, I saw Armored Saint twice and Anthrax 3 times.

I was actually lukewarm on SOWN at first. I really didn't know what to think of it. I loved Only, Hi Pro Glo, This Is Not An Exit, and Invisible right away, but the rest really took me a long time to get.
Their shows were great though. Before their actual tour started they did a thing with Headbanger's Ball where they played 3 East Coast and 3 West Coast dates I believe. I saw them at Axis in Boston. Then they came back. Rob Zombie mentions in the clip that White Zombie opened for them. I saw that show in Providence, and holy shit White Zombie was amazing. One of the 5 best opening acts I've ever seen.

Back to Scott's comments regarding Black Lodge, you can hear it in his voice. To me, this is the moment the Anthrax train stopped dead in its tracks.

Looking forward to how they address Dan Spitz leaving. They really never replaced him, with all due respect to Jon Donais.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #165 on: June 23, 2021, 11:02:40 AM »
Anthrax really found perfect ways to sabotage their band. Persistence of Time really was a high point in their career, then they decided to replace Joey. Bush came in and they had endless trouble with record companies, and as soon as they found their stride with that lineup and released We've Come For You All, what was their next step? an album re-recording the material of their previous singer, with Bush on vocals. Ok, this was a move to solidify Bush's presence right? Why on earth then, would they go on a reunion tour with Belladonna, completely alienating Bush from the band - purely because he had a newborn then, and wanted to spend time with the family, as opposed to going on that tour.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #166 on: June 23, 2021, 11:55:30 AM »
Which one has the discussion with John 5 and Scott's discussion on Black Lodge?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #167 on: June 23, 2021, 11:56:01 AM »

The most recent one.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #168 on: June 23, 2021, 12:06:08 PM »

This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-wlQIrBYF0

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #169 on: June 23, 2021, 02:18:46 PM »
I totally skipped over the Frankie quitting the band fiasco! I totally forgot about that. He and Charlie had a falling out and they replaced him with Joey Vera. I saw them at least twice with Joey on bass. I don't even remember exactly when that was. Somewhere in the Stomp/Vol 8 timeframe or something.

EDIT: I was way off. It was after We've Come For You All. Technically, The Greater Of Two Evils.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #170 on: June 23, 2021, 02:22:08 PM »
I totally skipped over the Frankie quitting the band fiasco! I totally forgot about that. He and Charlie had a falling out and they replaced him with Joey Vera. I saw them at least twice with Joey on bass. I don't even remember exactly when that was. Somewhere in the Stomp/Vol 8 timeframe or something.

It was on the Greater of Two Evils era. I saw them in Rio on that tour, with Joey Vera. I think the falling out was because Frankie wanted to play with Helmet, but Charlie didn't like it. Is that it?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #171 on: June 23, 2021, 02:29:19 PM »

It was on the Greater of Two Evils era. I saw them in Rio on that tour, with Joey Vera. I think the falling out was because Frankie wanted to play with Helmet, but Charlie didn't like it. Is that it?

Yeah, I was updating my post as you corrected me.

To also back up what TAC said, I agree about the Danny thing. The neverending carousel of players after he left kind of left me numb to whomever was handling those duties. For several albums it was Paul Crook, Dimebag, Charile, etc sharing lead duties. Then Caggiano coming and going during the will they/won't they back and forth with Joey and John. Jon is the most stable in some time, but he's only played on one album so he is still a bit of an afterthought to me.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #172 on: June 23, 2021, 02:39:23 PM »
Agreed on Jon Donais and Rob Caggiano, but I would wager that both of them added their own flavors to the band's sound. Rob's tenure was longer than we remember on a good day - from 2001-2005, then 2007-2013. I love his work on We've Come for You All. And Jon, as short as his stint has been, clearly added some flare to For All Kings. I don't think he blends in with the band as well as Caggiano, but playing-wise, it's great.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #173 on: June 23, 2021, 04:19:24 PM »
I know I'm in the minority here, but I am one of the few who prefers the Bush era.

'Bush-Thrax' (love that) might just be the band I've seen most live. They toured a ton in 90's when I was in my prime concert-going years, and thanks to their dip in popularity, they played the clubs. I reckon I saw the mighty 'Thrax a dozen or so times with Bush, and most of those shows I was front and center (along with say 100 other people), singing along to every song.

'Among the Living' was fine, and 'Persistence of Time' had some cool stuff, but it wasn't until I heard 'Only' that my ears really perked up. "WTF...they got the guy from Armored Saint singing for them?!??!?"

Thanks to 'White Noise,' I went back and really found a new appreciation for the Joey years.

Later in life, and as someone who has been in bands, I can say now that I have a hard time understanding how and why they made the move, but for a teenage me, it's what turned me onto the band. Had they not done it, I'm not sure I'd ever have given their catalog a shot.

Stray thoughts:

***All 4 Bush albums rock, but I think WCFYA is the peak of the mountain...LOVE that album

***I really dig the reunion albums, and all in all, I'm happy they reunited with Joey

***The Dan Nelson thing was....confusing.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #174 on: June 23, 2021, 04:38:02 PM »
Dan could have worked, if he wasn't an asshole: https://youtu.be/Fp5E2wuZOOQ