Author Topic: Kansas  (Read 53696 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Kansas
« Reply #245 on: September 29, 2017, 12:17:30 PM »
"Auto-tune my wayward sooooong
For these vocals sound so wrong
Pray your ears will get some rest
Or you'll cry some more"

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #246 on: September 29, 2017, 02:30:33 PM »
ife's too short to listen to bad stuff on purpose.

And yet a lot of people listen to modern day country pop. It's mind-boggling.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #247 on: September 29, 2017, 09:03:08 PM »
Oh. My. God.

Such terrible auto tune. I am SO disappointed right now; this was one of the greatest tours I've ever seen, in no small part because of how much of an absolute boss Ronnie Platt is live. I am absolutely beside myself on how anyone could think those vocals sound okay. How could their producer ruin such an incredible singer and performance.

I started listening to it, was disgusted that they still use the piped-in intro because they can't pull off the three-part harmonies live, realized that I was apparently still listening because I was waiting to hear something that would disgust me even further, closed the window.  Life's too short to listen to bad stuff on purpose.

That was a special thing they were doing just for this tour. They do the intro like regular for all their other shows. They also do all the three part harmonies for all their other songs, and nail them every time, check any YouTube video.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #248 on: September 29, 2017, 10:55:18 PM »
When you say "check any YouTube video" you must mean "check any recent YouTube video".  For a while, "Carry On Wayward Son" was the last song in a medley, and they entered the song after the a capella intro, sidestepping the issue.  And I know I've seen/heard at least one instance of them using the album intro instead of doing it live, because they only had the two singers, Steve and Robbie.  The entire run of the original lineup, the intro to the song was never done properly live.

I have no idea who's in the band anymore, so if they have three singers now then that's cool, except that that makes it even dumber to use the pre-recorded intro.  Just sing the damned song properly.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #249 on: September 30, 2017, 12:38:06 AM »
When you say "check any YouTube video" you must mean "check any recent YouTube video".  For a while, "Carry On Wayward Son" was the last song in a medley, and they entered the song after the a capella intro, sidestepping the issue.  And I know I've seen/heard at least one instance of them using the album intro instead of doing it live, because they only had the two singers, Steve and Robbie.  The entire run of the original lineup, the intro to the song was never done properly live.

I have no idea who's in the band anymore, so if they have three singers now then that's cool, except that that makes it even dumber to use the pre-recorded intro.  Just sing the damned song properly.

Yes I mean the current band (since 2014). They have 5 singers and they sing in mind-blowingly perfect harmony, it's uncanny.

That makes me even more frustrated about this live release. If these singers need autotune, then John Petrucci's beard isn't big enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyqKW-9zUB0 (watch til the end)

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #250 on: September 30, 2017, 05:38:27 AM »
I don't know what's more stupid. Them cancelling the EU tour because of "terrorism," or this autotune. I just checked out a recent bootleg, they sound great.

That was a special thing they were doing just for this tour. They do the intro like regular for all their other shows. They also do all the three part harmonies for all their other songs, and nail them every time, check any YouTube video.

https://youtu.be/xiWDjwwbHkw?t=1h22m39s - this was just a couple of months ago, they sing it live.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 05:52:12 AM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #251 on: September 30, 2017, 06:45:40 AM »
Bummer.  I mean, it's great that they do it live a capella, but the mix sucks and doesn't do it justice.  It probably sounds awesome in their in-ear monitors.

We tend to have the same problem.  We work hard on our vocals, but the sound man always has the girls louder than the bass player and me, presumably because they're the lead singers and we're usually backgrounds (which is still wrong).  So those glorious three- and four-part harmonies we do sound shitty live because they're not balanced.  In our ears, they're amazing, but when I listen to the recordings or watch the videos, I want to scream.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #252 on: December 16, 2017, 08:19:59 AM »
I started listening to it, was disgusted that they still use the piped-in intro because they can't pull off the three-part harmonies live, realized that I was apparently still listening because I was waiting to hear something that would disgust me even further, closed the window.  Life's too short to listen to bad stuff on purpose.
Wrong. They CAN pull off 3 part harmonies live!

I saw them last night and was blown away! The singer Ronnie Platt is AMAZING live! The band was spot on and the backing vocals were absolutely incredible!
I could not have been more impressed.

Bad stuff?

Wow! :omg:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #253 on: December 16, 2017, 11:52:52 AM »
Maybe I'll give them another shot.  Prior to the most recent few years, the last time I checked out Kansas live was towards the end of Steve Walsh's run, and he was sounding pretty bad.  I think Robbie was still with them, but the original lineup only ever had the two singers because none of the other guys could sing.  So they cheated and played the studio intro to "Carry On Wayward Son" or just "medleyed" into it from something else, skipping the a capella intro.  When the studio intro was the first thing I heard here, it was a turnoff.  Like literally. :lol  I listened to the next bit, but nothing seemed special enough to stick around for.

Walsh's days are over, Kerry's not coming back, I get that.  Like I said, maybe I'll give them another shot.  As this point, they could be a very good band indeed, but I don't feel much connection to them because so few of the original guys are left.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #254 on: December 16, 2017, 12:32:52 PM »
Maybe I'll give them another shot.  Prior to the most recent few years, the last time I checked out Kansas live was towards the end of Steve Walsh's run, and he was sounding pretty bad.  I think Robbie was still with them, but the original lineup only ever had the two singers because none of the other guys could sing.  So they cheated and played the studio intro to "Carry On Wayward Son" or just "medleyed" into it from something else, skipping the a capella intro.  When the studio intro was the first thing I heard here, it was a turnoff.  Like literally. :lol  I listened to the next bit, but nothing seemed special enough to stick around for.

Walsh's days are over, Kerry's not coming back, I get that.  Like I said, maybe I'll give them another shot.  As this point, they could be a very good band indeed, but I don't feel much connection to them because so few of the original guys are left.
Steve Walsh is one of my vocal heroes! However he does not have it anymore. Replacement guy or not, I have to give Ronnie Platt props. He isn't just good, he's flat out amazing.

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #255 on: December 16, 2017, 01:36:44 PM »
I saw them earlier in this tour and they sounded fabulous.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #256 on: December 16, 2017, 02:25:35 PM »
I saw them earlier in this tour and they sounded fabulous.
Absolute blow away show for me! My 17 year old daughter was blown away last night. My wife was also in awe as was a very engaged audience. Its clear they still have something special going. Its actually quite rejuvenated since Ronnie took over on vocals.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #257 on: January 18, 2019, 07:40:40 PM »
Really cool show for anyone in AZ, no cover charge. I'm playing keys in the Kansas band, can't wait!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #258 on: January 18, 2019, 07:44:46 PM »
Awesome. Which dude are you in the picture?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #259 on: January 18, 2019, 07:56:42 PM »
Tom? Is that you?  Lol
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 08:08:34 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: January 18, 2019, 08:10:17 PM »
Wait! Dennis! I didn't know you were on here. Fantastic!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #261 on: January 18, 2019, 10:13:34 PM »
I’m the one who looks suspiciously like this guy— https://youtu.be/Sbg3m2cHWT0

Wait! Dennis! I didn't know you were on here. Fantastic!!

‘Tis I!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #262 on: January 18, 2019, 11:42:45 PM »
Weird seeing this thread pop up after over a year of being lost in the forum as I have recently started listening to Kansas again, on a whim no less. Every time I come back to Kansas and listen to their first five albums, I am always in awe at how GOOD those albums were, especially the debut! They really came out of the gate running with some classics! "Journey From Mariabronn" gets me pumped every time I hear it!

EDIT - So I've been going over what I own of Kansas and what I'm missing, and one thing lead to another, and now I am wondering - does a complete1975 Live show exist of their set from the Agora Ballroom in Cleveland, OH? It appears that several tracks from that show have been officially released live (and they sound great) - "Down The Road", "Lonely Street", "Bringin' It Back" and "Incomudro - Hymn To The Atman" have all been released from that show on various releases as bonus tracks, which makes me believe a full show must exist somewhere. I figured there must be one or two Kansas boot-collectors on here that might know!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 12:21:38 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #263 on: January 19, 2019, 04:01:00 PM »
Tom? Is that you?  Lol

Tom Brislin is in the band now.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #264 on: January 19, 2019, 04:45:21 PM »
I’m the one who looks suspiciously like this guy— https://youtu.be/Sbg3m2cHWT0

Damn, bro! that's nice!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: January 19, 2019, 05:44:12 PM »
Tom? Is that you?  Lol

Tom Brislin is in the band now.

That was the joke then I figured out I friended Dennis on Facebook not knowing I knew him on DTF!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #266 on: January 19, 2019, 07:30:13 PM »
Every few years, I listen to Magnum Opus and just think "is this what Dream Theater would have sounded like in the 70s?"  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: May 13, 2019, 05:17:42 PM »
ONE NIGHT ONLY, ROCK BAND KANSAS TO PERFORM ICONIC ALBUMS LEFTOVERTURE & POINT OF KNOW RETURN BACK-TO-BACK IN NEW YORK CITY

SEXTUPLE-PLATINUM ALBUMS TO BE PERFORMED IN THEIR ENTIRETIES

Nashville, TN – May 13, 2019 – For one night only at The Beacon Theatre in New York City, America’s preeminent progressive rock band, KANSAS, will be performing two of rock’s most iconic albums, Leftoverture and Point of Know Return, in their entireties. On Saturday, December 14, 2019, KANSAS will be showcasing the two multi-platinum albums as well as other fan favorites. Ultimate Classic Rock announced the concert event here: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/kansas-beacon-2019.

KANSAS Pre-sale Tickets and KANSAS VIP Packages go on sale at 10AM local time on Tuesday, May 14, 2019, using promo code KANSASBAND. Ticket go on sale to the general public on Friday, May 17, 2019. Ticket information can be found at www.kansasband.com.

KANSAS premiered the Leftoverture 40th Anniversary Tour in 2016 to celebrate the band’s breakthrough album. What started as a concept of 10 concerts grew to more than 80 performances in select cities throughout 2016-2017. Based on that popularity, KANSAS followed that tour up with the even more successful Point of Know Return Anniversary Tour in 2018. Those performances will extend into 2020 and have already performed to large and enthusiastic audiences in cities including Atlanta, GA; Nashville, TN; Pittsburgh, PA; Chicago, IL; St. Louis, MO; Kansas City, MO; San Antonio, TX; Dallas, TX; Indianapolis, IN; Worcester, MA; Clearwater, FL; Ft. Lauderdale, FL; Baltimore, MD; Denver, CO; San Diego, CA; Portland, OR; Seattle, WA; and Los Angeles, CA.

In 1976, KANSAS released the album Leftoverture. Containing the smash hit and million-selling single “Carry On Wayward Son,” along with fan favorites such as “The Wall,” “Miracles Out Of Nowhere,” and “What’s On My Mind,” Leftoverture became the band’s breakthrough album. The album peaked at #5 on Billboard’s Album charts and reached sextuple-platinum status with more than six million copies sold.

In 1977, KANSAS followed up the success of Leftoverture by releasing the album Point of Know Return. Containing the iconic million-selling single “Dust in the Wind,” along with fan favorites such as “Portrait (He Knew),” “Closet Chronicles,” and “Paradox,” Point of Know Return became the band’s greatest selling studio album. The album peaked at #4 on Billboard’s Album charts, reached sextuple-platinum status with more than six million copies sold, and had three Billboard Hot 100 singles.

“Leftoverture and Point of Know Return are KANSAS’s two biggest albums,” comments KANSAS drummer and original member Phil Ehart. “We did more than 80 shows performing the album Leftoverture in its entirety. We are currently performing the album Point of Know Return in its entirety in select cities. So, for one night, we thought it would be exciting for fans to see us perform both albums. We felt this concert would be a great way to put an exclamation point on 2019, before the Point of Know Return Anniversary Tour resumes at the end of January.”

Performances on the Point of Know Return Anniversary Tour begin with an acoustic set of some KANSAS favorites before the band breaks into an extended set featuring the traditional KANSAS “wall of sound.”

“You do not find many theaters more famous than The Beacon Theatre in New York City,” adds KANSAS guitarist Zak Rizvi. “Add in being in New York City during the holidays, as someone who grew up an avid KANSAS fan, this is a concert I would travel to attend. Between touring and recording a new album, 2019 was already set up to be incredible for the band. This concert will really cap it off.”

KANSAS is currently comprised of original drummer Phil Ehart, bassist/vocalist Billy Greer, vocalist/keyboardist Ronnie Platt, violinist/guitarist David Ragsdale, keyboardist Tom Brislin, guitarist Zak Rizvi, and original guitarist Richard Williams. Originally formed in 1973 in Topeka, KS, the band’s documentary film KANSAS: Miracles Out of Nowhere is currently being broadcast on AXSTV. KANSAS has released 15 studio albums, including its most recent release The Prelude Implicit (2016), and plans to release of another new studio album in 2020. With no signs of slowing down, KANSAS continues to ‘carry on;’ performing in front of large and enthusiastic audiences around the world.

KANSAS POINT OF KNOW RETURN ANNIVERSARY TOUR DATES:

DATE CITY/STATE VENUE
September 11 Spokane, WA First Interstate Center for the Arts
September 13 Santa Rosa, CA Luther Burbank Center
September 14 Stockton, CA Bob Hope Theatre
September 17 Bakersfield, CA Fox Theater
September 19 Mesa, AZ Ikeda Theater
September 21 Salt Lake City, UT Eccles Theater
September 22 Cheyenne, WY Cheyenne Civic Center
September 27 Tulsa, OK Brady Theater
September 28 Park City, KS Hartman Arena
October 4 Topeka, KS Topeka Performing Arts Center
October 5 Omaha, NE Orpheum Theater
October 11 Wausau, WI The Grand Theater
October 12 Minneapolis, MN State Theater
October 18 Champaign, IL Virginia Theatre
October 19 Waukegan, IL Genesee Theatre
October 25 Concord, NH Capitol Center for the Arts
October 26 Albany, NY Palace Theatre
November 1 Quebec City, QC Grand Théâtre de Québec
November 2 Montreal, QC Théâtre St-Denis
November 8 Rochester, NY Kodak Center Theater
November 9 Erie, PA Warner Theatre
November 16 Durham, NC Durham Performing Arts Center
November 22 Richmond, KY EKU Center for the Arts
November 23 Huntsville, AL Mark C. Smith Concert Hall at Von Braun Center
December 6 Corpus Christi, TX Selena Auditorium
December 7 Sugar Land, TX Smart Financial Centre at Sugar Land
December 14           New York, NY          The Beacon Theatre*
January 31, 2020 Savannah, GA Johnny Mercer Theatre
February 1, 2020 Jacksonville, FL Florida Theatre
February 3, 2020 The Villages, FL Sharon L. Morse Center for Performing Arts
February 4, 2020 The Villages, FL Sharon L. Morse Center for Performing Arts
February 6, 2020 Fort Myers, FL Barbara B. Mann Performing Arts Hall
February 7, 2020 Melbourne, FL King Center for the Performing Arts

*Special Performance

For more information on KANSAS and the Point of Know Return Anniversary Tour, please visit:
www.kansasband.com
www.facebook.com/kansasband
www.twitter.com/kansasband

Live Nation NYC Live Nation Concerts The Beacon Theatre

Offline pg1067

« Reply #268 on: May 13, 2019, 05:23:02 PM »
Nothing in California south of Bakersfield?!

I love Kansas, but with only Ehart and Williams (and Greer) from the classic lineup, this is a hard pass.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline T-ski

« Reply #269 on: May 13, 2019, 06:17:34 PM »
They are coming to my rinky dink little town in Wisconsin, May need to check them out.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #270 on: May 13, 2019, 06:38:42 PM »
Shows like this are tough for me.  On the one hand, I know that with few original members left, this isn't the same Kansas as originally recorded the albums, and it's not going to sound exactly the same.  But those guys are gone; time moves on.  Meanwhile here's a very good band and they are officially Kansas.  If nothing else, it will be an excellent performance of some great music.  It's not unlike attending a Beethoven symphony or a Verdi opera.  It is the music and the quality of performance that matters, not specifically who is performing it.  And if that's good enough for you, you go.  Yeah, I'm starting to come around on that.  It's a process.

And for those of you who might mock my comparison of 70's Kansas to classical music: blow me.  This is some of the greatest rock ever written and performed.  Those two albums specifically, together, to me are pretty much on par with a Beethoven symphony.  Probably not the Ninth or the Fifth, but maybe the Fourth or the Sixth, and that's pretty good for rock and roll.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #271 on: May 13, 2019, 07:29:54 PM »

I love Kansas, but with only Ehart and Williams (and Greer) from the classic lineup, this is a hard pass.

Maybe they should call the band Missouri. ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: May 13, 2019, 07:35:20 PM »
That last album with that lineup was very good and they added Tom Brislin who I saw live recently and that's a hell of a lineup to see. Thinking about seeing them in Concord,  N.H.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #273 on: May 14, 2019, 11:49:12 AM »
I think we are going to try to hit the show in Durham.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #274 on: May 14, 2019, 01:01:43 PM »
I think I'm going to grab a ticket to the special show at the Beacon in December. Seems like a pretty good way to pop my live Kansas cherry :D
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: May 14, 2019, 01:37:31 PM »
I think I'm going to grab a ticket to the special show at the Beacon in December. Seems like a pretty good way to pop my live Kansas cherry :D

Man I'm feeling old.  I popped my Kansas cherry in 1985.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #276 on: October 12, 2019, 03:49:08 PM »
The more I listen to Neal Morse, the more I  believe he’s continuing the incredible legacy left by Kansas. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #277 on: October 12, 2019, 03:59:31 PM »
I don't know if anyone here may know, but Two For The Show had been reissued and expanded in 2008 as a double album. Very well worth listening to if you like the band. (and it sounds better than the original pressing too IMHO)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #278 on: October 14, 2019, 09:28:16 AM »
I don't know if anyone here may know, but Two For The Show had been reissued and expanded in 2008 as a double album. Very well worth listening to if you like the band. (and it sounds better than the original pressing too IMHO)
Good to know.  I will keep my eyes out.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #279 on: December 16, 2019, 04:53:43 PM »
I'm a casual Kansas fan, I bought 'original album classics' 5CD set a while back containing;
Kansas
Song For America
Point Of Know Return
Leftoverture
Masque

I finally am listening to them and I like what I hear.
What other albums should I be looking at getting besides these?