Author Topic: Kansas  (Read 54418 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Kansas
« Reply #385 on: April 08, 2021, 09:58:14 AM »
Being in Kansas and helping create two albums, both of which were well received, put Zak's name out there.  I don't know if it was his long-term plan or what, but now that he's established some cred, he's going to try heading out on his own again.  I can't blame him for that.  It's just a bummer for Kansas fans because it really seemed to me that he "gets" Kansas.  It's also a bit surprising because if I were him, I'd be very proud of that and want to continue with it.  But we don't know anything about his decision to leave or anything that went into it or what's going on behind the scenes in the band (and we never will).

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #386 on: April 08, 2021, 11:09:10 AM »
Kansas seemed truly reinvigorated with Zak, released one good album and another one even stronger. So I was rooting for more Kansas albums with him. Let's hope that Kansas don't return to the nostalgia act status and, also, that Tom Brislim keeps that spark within the band and help them to continue releasing good albums (as he made great contribuitions on the last album).
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #387 on: April 08, 2021, 01:01:15 PM »
Interestingly, Brislin is in a somewhat similar situation, to me anyway.  He first came on my radar touring with Yes on their Symphonic tour years ago.  He covered parts originally played by Kaye, Wakeman, and Moraz, each fully respectful of the source material, and overall just did a great job.  I've heard some of his solo stuff, and he's worked with a number of other legacy acts.  He's the real reason why I checked out the new album.  I liked what he and Zak did together, and as I said, it would now appear to fall to him, unless Kansas can pull another rabbit out of a hat.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #388 on: April 08, 2021, 01:10:41 PM »
Like pretty much all things in life I have a feeling this came down to financial considerations. 

He can only get paid on live performances (and they don't tour much at all) and sales of the two albums he was a part of and I'm sure that despite it being Kansas that ain't worth much either.  Especially when it's being split among half a dozen people.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #389 on: April 08, 2021, 01:43:06 PM »
It could be a financial matter, but sure it doesn't have anything to do with Kansas not touring. I follow Kansas in the Facebook and they are touring A LOT, at least since Ronnie Platt joined the band - They even came to Brazil in recent years!  :D They are not touring now just because nobody is. But still: https://www.kansasband.com/tour-dates/
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: April 08, 2021, 01:46:45 PM »
I guess they have picked up the pace of touring quite a bit in the last several years.  There was a very long drought, though, before The Prelude Implicit came out.  But you're right, I had no idea they were doing THAT many dates.

I still have to believe this was a financial decision. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #391 on: April 08, 2021, 03:14:14 PM »
The sad thing is, if you are another Zak Rizvi, rather than joining (what is perceived as) an old band where many fans will dismiss anything you do as "not as good as the old stuff," why not create your own band and create your own legacy?  I am not as wild about the last two Kansas albums as some of you are - I think both have their moments, but neither had a long shelf life for me at all - but if Rizvi was that good and prolific, maybe he figures it is better for himself to go his own way and not be tied to another band's legacy for too long.  Hard to know for sure.

Its not easy just going out there and start your own legacy from scratch. Unfortunately, nobody gives a fuck about good young musicians nowadays. That's why members from many awesome bands still have other jobs, like teaching jobs or something completely different. And if you're offered to play with Kansas, you'd be a fool not to accept that.

Agreed.  And to clarify, when I said, "why not create your own band and create your own legacy," I meant that in the sense of what he could do right now at this point in time.  Getting your name out there by playing in a legacy band with a good brand name is smart, and he may now feel it is more to his advantage, artistically and financially, to now go on his own.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #392 on: May 08, 2021, 07:26:01 PM »
Zak's old band, 4Front, isn't bad. Kind of an accessible instrumental jazz-rock thing, made by guys who have obviously listened to a ton of Rush, and ... yes, Kansas.

I'd love it if that was his next move. I love 4-Front and have seen them live a few times. (Have a few albums too.) My Zak gateway of course was when he was in the Rush tribute Power Windows.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #393 on: July 19, 2021, 08:53:22 AM »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #394 on: July 19, 2021, 08:56:23 AM »
Sure is.  R.I.P. Robbie.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #395 on: July 19, 2021, 09:09:27 AM »
Damn, that is sad to hear. I will have to crank some classic Kansas today as a tribute. It has been a while.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #396 on: July 19, 2021, 09:20:49 AM »
Nooo, sad news. I've been getting into Kansas these last couple of months, I'll be spinning some tonight.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #397 on: July 19, 2021, 12:32:24 PM »
Ah man.  That sucks.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: July 19, 2021, 01:26:47 PM »
Damn, he was only 71  :(

Offline emtee

« Reply #399 on: July 19, 2021, 03:18:55 PM »
RIP. Bummer.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #400 on: August 18, 2021, 07:48:23 PM »
Did a recent deep dive through most of the Kansas discography (skipped the four albums from 1982-1988), which I had not done in forever.   :coolio :coolio

The debut is definitely way better than I realized before, and while still not a standout, I enjoyed The Prelude Implicit quite a bit more than I did before. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #401 on: August 19, 2021, 06:11:05 AM »
Did a recent deep dive through most of the Kansas discography (skipped the four albums from 1982-1988), which I had not done in forever.   :coolio :coolio

The debut is definitely way better than I realized before, and while still not a standout, I enjoyed The Prelude Implicit quite a bit more than I did before.
:tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: August 19, 2021, 07:07:53 AM »

What made you skip those 4 Kev?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #403 on: August 19, 2021, 07:32:20 AM »

Probably the fact that they suck, for the most part.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: August 19, 2021, 07:34:49 AM »
I checked out Kansas earlier this year, but decided to stop after Audio-Visions (1980). I noticed a significant drop in quality with that album. The 70s is enough greatness for me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: August 19, 2021, 07:41:47 AM »

I personally like Vinyl Confessions & Power.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #406 on: August 19, 2021, 09:17:49 AM »
There are a handful of songs I like from those four albums combined, especially Rainmaker from In the Spirit of Things, but I didn't have it in me to struggle through those four albums, one after another. Plus, as I have mentioned prior, I do these deep dives in conjunction with a friend, and we discuss the albums daily (for fun, it helps break up the work day), and I thought I would spare him the tragedy of that era (he was largely unfamiliar with the band outside of the big hits until now). :lol

Styx or Bowie is next (we have not decided which way to go yet).  :hat :hat

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #407 on: August 19, 2021, 09:26:11 AM »

Someone had to.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: August 19, 2021, 09:58:28 AM »

Someone had to.

:getoffmylawn:

Offline Lupton

« Reply #409 on: August 19, 2021, 10:25:18 AM »
I checked out Kansas earlier this year, but decided to stop after Audio-Visions (1980). I noticed a significant drop in quality with that album. The 70s is enough greatness for me.

I did the same thing! I stopped at that record too back in the 90s when I was getting into the band. However, recently after Robby died I marathoned all the Kansas records and I was surprised at how much stronger Audio-Visions sounds to me now than it did back the day. It was enough to convince me to go ahead and get the 80s stuff and fill the holes in my collection. And I must confess, I really enjoy Vinyl Confessions. IMO it's just as good as the latest one The Absence of Presence. There's only one or two tracks on it I dislike -- I skip the first two cuts. Yeah Drastic Measures OTOH is pretty slim pickings, but I still liked 2 or 3 songs. Conversely, Power is solid with only 2 or 3 songs that I skip. In the Spirit of Things suffers from too many cuts from outside songwriters that are really bland and generic, but still has some great cuts (Rainmaker, Bells of St James). I'm glad I didn't totally write off 80s Kansas. There's enough good stuff on those records to populate a decent sized playlist IMO.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #410 on: August 19, 2021, 07:11:24 PM »

I did the same thing! I stopped at that record too back in the 90s when I was getting into the band. However, recently after Robby died I marathoned all the Kansas records and I was surprised at how much stronger Audio-Visions sounds to me now than it did back the day. It was enough to convince me to go ahead and get the 80s stuff and fill the holes in my collection. And I must confess, I really enjoy Vinyl Confessions. IMO it's just as good as the latest one The Absence of Presence. There's only one or two tracks on it I dislike -- I skip the first two cuts. Yeah Drastic Measures OTOH is pretty slim pickings, but I still liked 2 or 3 songs. Conversely, Power is solid with only 2 or 3 songs that I skip. In the Spirit of Things suffers from too many cuts from outside songwriters that are really bland and generic, but still has some great cuts (Rainmaker, Bells of St James). I'm glad I didn't totally write off 80s Kansas. There's enough good stuff on those records to populate a decent sized playlist IMO.

Okay, but that is not much of a selling point, though. :P

Offline Lupton

« Reply #411 on: August 19, 2021, 07:27:45 PM »

Okay, but that is not much of a selling point, though. :P

:lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #412 on: August 19, 2021, 10:14:23 PM »
I've said it before and I say it again: I really like In The Spirit Of Things, imo it's a great record with one or two skippable tracks.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lupton

« Reply #413 on: August 19, 2021, 10:51:50 PM »
I've said it before and I say it again: I really like In The Spirit Of Things, imo it's a great record with one or two skippable tracks.

Really? Which ones do you skip? Still new to this album (got it a couple weeks back) and happy for any advice. 

I was really surprised to see it was released in 88. Seen this one for cheap in CD shops back in the day, and always just sort of assumed it came out later (round 89-90) probably due to the number of songs on it. 12 tracks was not the common thing yet in 88.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #414 on: August 20, 2021, 07:37:02 AM »
I don't really skip tracks, but for me I Counted On Love and Once In A Lifetime are the weakest tracks.

Ghosts, One Big Sky, Rainmaker and Bells Of Saint James are the standout tracks.

And I don't care if the tracks aren't all written by members of Kansas or outside writers. A good song is a good song and a bad song is a bad song, regardless of who's written it.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lupton

« Reply #415 on: August 20, 2021, 12:06:22 PM »
I don't really skip tracks, but for me I Counted On Love and Once In A Lifetime are the weakest tracks.

Ghosts, One Big Sky, Rainmaker and Bells Of Saint James are the standout tracks.

And I don't care if the tracks aren't all written by members of Kansas or outside writers. A good song is a good song and a bad song is a bad song, regardless of who's written it.

Well that's all good and more Power to you man!  :tup  Wait.. that's a different record.  :P  But seriously...thanks for offering your opinion.  :)

I revisited this one last night and I think out of all the songs that were not Walsh/Morse/(Ezrin), I found that only One Big Sky is tolerable. The rest you can throw away. Hell, even Counted On Love (not a great tune by any measure!) is less offensive to my ears than any of the writing they farmed out to industry jobsmiths. IMO take off all the songs by outside writers (with the exception of One Big Sky) and you have a decent group of songs.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #416 on: October 30, 2021, 05:30:52 PM »
Robby Steinhardt posthumous solo album – Not in Kansas Anymore (Album Review)

https://progreport.com/robby-steinhardt-not-in-kansas-anymore-album-review/

A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #417 on: October 30, 2021, 08:45:26 PM »
Wow, that review really sold me on the album.  I was on the fence about even checking it out, though I figured I would eventually.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #418 on: May 25, 2023, 04:50:29 PM »
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...