Author Topic: Kansas  (Read 53684 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: Kansas
« Reply #175 on: July 05, 2016, 07:58:52 AM »
Those clips sound really cool!

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: September 08, 2016, 09:47:32 AM »
Interview from Rolling Stone featuring a new track, "Visibility Zero."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/kansas-on-new-album-reviving-leftoverture-w438072

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #177 on: September 08, 2016, 10:12:57 AM »
I liked the song. Sounded like Kansas to me. Cool violin solo too.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #178 on: September 13, 2016, 08:25:00 AM »
Sounds like good ol' fashioned Kansas.  Unfortunately, Phil hit it on the head in his latest interview that Steve simply couldn't sing like he used to, like he wanted to.  They sound good.  The music is outstanding!  I'm more excited for this album than i have been for anything Kansas in a long time!
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #179 on: September 13, 2016, 08:28:03 AM »
Yep, I am really looking forward to it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #180 on: September 13, 2016, 11:02:55 AM »
New singer sounds good. Even sixteen years ago on Somewhere To Elsewhere, Walsh's voice had made its change and wasn't going to be what it used to be again. I like the guy, but yeah, new singer sounds really good!
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #181 on: September 13, 2016, 07:12:04 PM »
I can't say I was excited by either of those new songs. Both solid tunes, I guess, but I can't imagine going out of my way to hear either.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #182 on: September 15, 2016, 01:01:37 AM »
I reviewed the new Kansas, but I'm not totally sold on it.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #183 on: September 22, 2016, 08:19:49 AM »
I think it was a fair review.  After listening once through, it is a somewhat "homogenous" album with a couple of standouts.  But overall, from the viewpoint of a die-hard fan, it's a very good album.  I think it'll be one that needs several listens to truly formulate an opinion.  But the music is amazing.  Couldn't ask for anything more.  The vocals are wonderful.  He sounds a little bit of a cross between Steve Walsh and Tommy Shaw of Styx.  Sounds good.  Overall, i think it'll become a classic album.  It's better than the last couple of albums.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #184 on: September 22, 2016, 11:09:14 AM »
Listened to the two released songs and they didn't do much for me. Going to pass on the new album for now.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: September 22, 2016, 12:54:05 PM »
Overall, i think it'll become a classic album.  It's better than the last couple of albums.
I haven't listened to the new one yet, but I hold Somewhere to Elsewhere right up with the first five Kansas albums. So if it's near that level of quality, I'll be very impressed.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #186 on: September 22, 2016, 03:03:42 PM »
I haven't listened to the new one yet, but I hold Somewhere to Elsewhere right up with the first five Kansas albums.
Same here.

I will try to pick it up this weekend.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #187 on: September 23, 2016, 08:58:04 AM »
Overall, after another listen, the album gets stronger in the second half.  The first few songs are good, but the second half of the album seems stronger to me.  I would definitely rank this up there with StE, pogoowner.  Maybe even higher.  The second "side" of the album is fantastic.  Much more "proggy" to me.  Has hints of classic, old Kansas with a strong dose of 21st century thrown in for good measure.  Really liking "Refugees": a bit more mellow, with a melody slightly reminiscent of "My Way Home" by Traffic.  The more i listen, the more i'm really liking this album overall.  I hope this is the first of several new albums.  The guys definitely have hit a new momentum.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: September 28, 2016, 11:06:26 AM »
I've listened to The Prelude Implicit about five times now, and I'm still liking it better with every listen. It still isn't on the same level as their first five albums or Somewhere to Elsewhere for me, but it beats the hell out of the Elefante albums. I'll throw out a few random thoughts below.

Like Beowulf said, it gets stronger in the second half. "The Voyage of Eight Eighteen" is the highlight for me. It has a quite a few moments that would fit right in on Masque or Song for America. "Rhythm of the Spirit" has some Spock's Beard-like moments. On the other side of the spectrum, "The Unsung Heroes" is the clear low-point. Way too much of a cheesy Journey feel. "Summer" is a pretty typical, straightforward Billy Greer song if you've listened to Native Window or Seventh Key--nothing to right home about--but the instrumental section pretty cool.

I'm liking Ronnie's vocals more as I get used to him. Sometimes he reminds me of John Elefante, and other times I get a Nick D'Virgilio vibe (chorus of "Camouflage").

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #189 on: September 28, 2016, 06:01:02 PM »
I've listened to The Prelude Implicit about five times now, and I'm still liking it better with every listen. It still isn't on the same level as their first five albums or Somewhere to Elsewhere for me, but it beats the hell out of the Elefante albums.

That's not really much of a selling point. :P

Honestly, as much I love the classic Kansas stuff, as well as Somewhere to Elsewhere and Freaks of Nature, I have little urge to check this new album out. The two songs they released early both sounded okay, but nothing that made me want to listen again.  I'm sure I'll hear it eventually, but I won't go out of my way.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: September 28, 2016, 06:50:36 PM »
I've listened to The Prelude Implicit about five times now, and I'm still liking it better with every listen. It still isn't on the same level as their first five albums or Somewhere to Elsewhere for me, but it beats the hell out of the Elefante albums.

That's not really much of a selling point. :P

Honestly, as much I love the classic Kansas stuff, as well as Somewhere to Elsewhere and Freaks of Nature, I have little urge to check this new album out. The two songs they released early both sounded okay, but nothing that made me want to listen again.  I'm sure I'll hear it eventually, but I won't go out of my way.
To be clear, I don't mean that it's a bottom tier release. :lol I just haven't really decided where it falls yet. And there's much better material on the album than the two singles they released.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #191 on: September 28, 2016, 11:36:02 PM »
I'm mostly through my 2nd spin in my car as I drive around town/commute to work, and I've got to agree, the back half or so of the album is definitely better. The songs they released are good, but not indicative of the greatness that the rest of the album contains.

I'm not a HUGE Kansas fan, even though I own all of their studio albums, I'm not as well versed in them as I could say I am with bands like Rush, Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, etc. Kansas really only appealed to me with their first 6 or so albums, but if I can listen to this one and be blissfully reminded of some of that greatness from their early days, then I can say they did a bang up job with creating an album that is very much Kansas while still sounding new and fresh, and not totally re-treading on old ground for the sake of nostalgia, though there is that one song where the violin line sounds almost just like a song from their earlier albums, and it bugs me that I cannot recall which song I think of when I hear that part.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #192 on: September 29, 2016, 10:12:37 AM »
Just got my tickets for the Dallas show!!!  Nosebleed, but that's okay.  Surprisingly, it's practically sold out!  but I've seen them literally dozens of times, so i don't need to be right up front; I just want to be there.  very excited to hear the "new" band!  Anyone else going?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #193 on: September 29, 2016, 03:22:28 PM »
I'm looking at going to the Fayetteville show - 40th anniversary of Leftoverture.  That would be just a couple of days before the DT show in Durham - quite a progtastic weekend.  :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #194 on: September 29, 2016, 05:26:14 PM »
Not to keep being a pessimist, but as good as the overall sound of the core was, the three main things that made Kansas magic were:

-Steve Walsh's voice
-Kerry Livgren's songwriting
-Robby Steinhardt's violin (and voice as a secondary lead vocalist)

All three of those were there for Somewhere to Elsewhere.

They are all gone for the new record.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: September 29, 2016, 09:56:44 PM »
Just got my tickets for the Dallas show!!!  Nosebleed, but that's okay.  Surprisingly, it's practically sold out!  but I've seen them literally dozens of times, so i don't need to be right up front; I just want to be there.  very excited to hear the "new" band!  Anyone else going?
They've actually been doing very well with their ticket sales as of late. They've definitely had a resurgence. I'm gonna try to see the Cincinnati show if I can.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #196 on: October 03, 2016, 10:20:24 AM »
FYI... they will be live-streaming tonight's concert on iHeart Radio.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #197 on: October 03, 2016, 11:01:21 AM »
FYI... they will be live-streaming tonight's concert on iHeart Radio.
Thanks for the information! The setlist of this tour is very interesting and the new cd is indeed very good!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #198 on: October 07, 2016, 09:15:58 AM »
Anyone watch the stream on iHeart?  The new songs sounded great!  I'm getting very excited for the show in Dallas next weekend!  Should be a fantastic show.  Very excited to hear all of Leftoverture!!!  Magnum Opus RULES!!

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #199 on: October 11, 2016, 12:57:42 PM »
So, i found not only the setlist for the Tour, but what appears to be a great copy of the second show of the tour (audio only).  If anyone is interested, here's the link:  https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kansas/2016/ryman-auditorium-nashville-tn-5bfd1bd8.html
If you don't want to know and be surprised, don't click it!  But i gotta say, it's one of the greatest setlists I've ever seen!!  And i've seen them a couple dozen times!

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: October 11, 2016, 03:19:21 PM »
So, i found not only the setlist for the Tour, but what appears to be a great copy of the second show of the tour (audio only).  If anyone is interested, here's the link:  https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kansas/2016/ryman-auditorium-nashville-tn-5bfd1bd8.html
If you don't want to know and be surprised, don't click it!  But i gotta say, it's one of the greatest setlists I've ever seen!!  And i've seen them a couple dozen times!
Oh, there are a few surprises in the non-Leftoverture portion! One of which I'm not really that excited about, but it REALLY caught me off-guard.

And I did catch the iHeart stream. They sounded really good. It seemed like Zak might have gotten caught a little bit behind a couple times when it came to switching from his tuner to his other pedals or something, but I'm sure he'll get that ironed out as he gets more experience with them.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #201 on: October 11, 2016, 09:19:57 PM »
A good boot from the tour:
https://youtu.be/L3Pljd29zXs
Really beautiful and surprising acoustic part in the beggining! :tup
And I'm very happy that they are really promoting the new album.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #202 on: October 13, 2016, 08:41:15 AM »
Just stopped by to give some love to the new album.  Best collection of songs they've released in a LONG time. 

I cannot stop listening to this.  Very strong contender for AOTY

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #203 on: October 14, 2016, 12:36:54 PM »
I'm not the biggest Kansas fan, Power is my favourite album by them which probably says it all. I've played this new one several times this week and really like it. I'm a sucker for violin and there's tons of it on here. Singer is excellent.
Up there with the best of the year for me.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: October 14, 2016, 01:40:07 PM »
Power is my favourite album by them
Well that's a new one. As long as you don't say Drastic Measures, I can live with it. :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #205 on: October 14, 2016, 03:23:53 PM »
Be nice.  The same things about Power that bother most Kansas fans will be the same things the some people like about it.  Think about how often the most popular album by a band is the one that you really don't like.  It's gotta happen the other way sometimes.

Also, I know you're not completely serious  :lol  but the point stands.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: October 14, 2016, 05:28:12 PM »
I actually don't have a hatred for Power. Steve Morse is obviously a badass, and while there are a couple tracks that kind of make me cringe, like "Can't Cry Anymore," which the band didn't even write, there's also plenty of fun stuff on the album. Interesting that Lowdz is a sucker for violin and chose a Kansas album devoid of violin, though! I prefer In the Spirit of Things if we're talking about the Morse era.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #207 on: October 15, 2016, 06:42:09 AM »
I actually don't have a hatred for Power. Steve Morse is obviously a badass, and while there are a couple tracks that kind of make me cringe, like "Can't Cry Anymore," which the band didn't even write, there's also plenty of fun stuff on the album. Interesting that Lowdz is a sucker for violin and chose a Kansas album devoid of violin, though! I prefer In the Spirit of Things if we're talking about the Morse era.

True about the lack of violin on Power. Why have Steve Morse and not use him I guess.
I struggle with the folkier elements of their sound (not just with Kansas, I can't stand folk) and was a hard rock/hair metal dude so I guess that explains the love for Power rather than the rest of the catalogue.
I've never invested a great deal of time in the older stuff to judge it fairly though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #208 on: October 15, 2016, 06:48:38 AM »
I have never heard a thing from Power, except All I Wanted, which I had completely forgotten about until a year or so ago.  MTV must have played that back in the day, because when I stumbled across it last year, I remembered it.

I have only heard some of In the Spirit of Things.  One Big Sky and Bells of Saint James are both solid tunes, and I am actually very fond of Rainmaker; that's easily my favorite Kansas song from the 80s (which admittedly isn't saying a lot :lol).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #209 on: October 15, 2016, 06:53:13 AM »
I find Power much more enjoyable ITSOT.  Sometimes Bob Ezrin misses with bands and that's how I felt about ITSOT.

Kev, check out We're Not Alone Anymore & Taking In The View.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC