Author Topic: Kansas  (Read 53679 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Kansas
« Reply #140 on: July 29, 2013, 08:48:33 AM »
It is unfortunate how ignored the Monolith album has been by the band over the long haul, but shit happens.  A Glimpse of Home is one of my favorite Kansas songs, and On the Other Side, Away from You and Angels Have Fallen are all really good as well.

I also agree that Fight Fire with Fire is an odd pick to play, especially as an encore, but I guess that is throwing a bone to those who got into them thanks to the airplay it got in the 80s.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: July 30, 2013, 02:47:05 PM »
Sounds like the same old setlist that they've been playing for quite some time.  It's no secret that Steve Walsh said he won't make any new music with Kansas.  So maybe he's just touring to help fund for his solo stuff, which I have enjoyed.
He's actually said he's done writing new material, period.

Barto, the guy that joined them for Carry on Wayward Son would have been Kerry Livgren. I also wish Fight Fire with Fire would be removed, but they've played it at every show I've seen in the last 15 years or so.

Offline YngVai

« Reply #142 on: July 30, 2013, 03:40:57 PM »
My first ever concert about 12 years ago.  The whole band autographed my first ever guitar. 

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #143 on: July 30, 2013, 03:49:40 PM »
I listened to the 30th Anniversary Edition of Two for the Show recently, straight through.  Wow!

I think I actually prefer the second disc.  Maybe because I've already heard the original (single) disc so many times, and honestly, a lot of it didn't work for me.  It starts off on the wrong foot, with the shortened version of "Song for America".  The quiet, middle section provides great contrast and the song loses impact when they just chop it out.  And I just don't like medleys.  Kansas has some longer songs, but they're not that long, not "prog" long, and usually I really like the instrumental sections.  So it's particularly disappointing when they get to that part and decide that it's a good place to just jump to a different song.  The first disc just seems like excerpts and medleys and songs with parts cut out.

After the opening medley, the songs on the second disc were generally intact, which I always prefer.  It was nice hearing some of the longer, more intricate songs played fully.  Still, some of it just didn't feel right.  Kansas is great music, but finding that balance between tight arrangements and adding something to the live performance is tricky, and I guess I just don't care for their solution.  Walsh sounds very energetic for sure, but it kinda sounds like he's rushing every single note because he has to pee.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: August 23, 2013, 04:04:12 PM »
Orbert, I have never been that fond of "People of the South Wind" either, but Monolith does have some major gems in "A Glimpse of Home" and "On the Other Side," and I am pretty fond of "Away from You" and "Angels Have Fallen," as well.

Not to mention Stay Out Of Trouble. "Step outside and feel the tingle." Is one of the great metal moments in prog rock!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #145 on: August 23, 2013, 05:44:29 PM »
I found a used copy of Always Never The Same yesterday! I've been searching for that album for almost 7 years now!  ;D

My Kansas studio album collection is finally complete!  :heart
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: August 23, 2013, 09:08:25 PM »
I found a used copy of Always Never The Same yesterday! I've been searching for that album for almost 7 years now!  ;D

My Kansas studio album collection is finally complete!  :heart
One of the weakest releases of the band's career, but as a die-hard fan who owns everything they've ever done, I completely understand how you feel.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #147 on: August 23, 2013, 09:51:49 PM »
As someone who collects whole discographies, I have gotten excited at finding many a bad album over the years.  :tup  :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #148 on: August 24, 2013, 08:04:24 PM »
I listened to the 30th Anniversary Edition of Two for the Show recently, straight through.  Wow!

I think I actually prefer the second disc.  Maybe because I've already heard the original (single) disc so many times, and honestly, a lot of it didn't work for me.  It starts off on the wrong foot, with the shortened version of "Song for America".  The quiet, middle section provides great contrast and the song loses impact when they just chop it out.  And I just don't like medleys.  Kansas has some longer songs, but they're not that long, not "prog" long, and usually I really like the instrumental sections.  So it's particularly disappointing when they get to that part and decide that it's a good place to just jump to a different song.  The first disc just seems like excerpts and medleys and songs with parts cut out.

After the opening medley, the songs on the second disc were generally intact, which I always prefer.  It was nice hearing some of the longer, more intricate songs played fully.  Still, some of it just didn't feel right.  Kansas is great music, but finding that balance between tight arrangements and adding something to the live performance is tricky, and I guess I just don't care for their solution.  Walsh sounds very energetic for sure, but it kinda sounds like he's rushing every single note because he has to pee.

For some reason, I never upgraded my vinyl copy of this. I think it's the only one I'm missing aside from the most recent live Album/DVD.

I think the last thing I ever picked up was Device-Voice-Drum (awesome by the way) from like 10 years ago. Has anything come out since?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #149 on: August 25, 2013, 04:13:46 AM »
My cousin just got all the remasters for Kansas.  They sound awesome. I've been on a real kick lately listening to them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: August 25, 2013, 09:34:39 AM »

For some reason, I never upgraded my vinyl copy of this. I think it's the only one I'm missing aside from the most recent live Album/DVD.

I think the last thing I ever picked up was Device-Voice-Drum (awesome by the way) from like 10 years ago. Has anything come out since?
There's a another live DVD featuring an orchestra called "There's Know Place Like Home." It's very good as well.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #151 on: August 25, 2013, 10:58:43 AM »
I've looked at that one, but wasn't sure about it.  I've always thought that Kansas had a very orchestral sound, not just because of the violin but also the arrangements themselves, and adding an orchestra almost seems redundant.  It also seems like it could take the music to the next level, if done properly.  But at that point, how much of it is due to Kansas, and how much of it is because there's an orchestra?

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #152 on: August 26, 2013, 07:24:14 AM »
My cousin just got all the remasters for Kansas.  They sound awesome. I've been on a real kick lately listening to them.

As far as i know, and i consider myself to be quite the Kansas fanatic, there never was a remastered version of Monolith, which is a damned shame.  I thought that was a phenomenal album, a bit darker than the previous albums.  Someone PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong, though.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: August 26, 2013, 03:45:22 PM »

As far as i know, and i consider myself to be quite the Kansas fanatic, there never was a remastered version of Monolith, which is a damned shame.  I thought that was a phenomenal album, a bit darker than the previous albums.  Someone PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong, though.

They recently released a "Classic Albums" box set which I'm told includes the remastered versions of the albums, but without digging further into it, I cannot confirm that the Monolith disc is a remaster. It's possible, though.

I've looked at that one, but wasn't sure about it.  I've always thought that Kansas had a very orchestral sound, not just because of the violin but also the arrangements themselves, and adding an orchestra almost seems redundant.  It also seems like it could take the music to the next level, if done properly.  But at that point, how much of it is due to Kansas, and how much of it is because there's an orchestra?
It's a good DVD. As you might expect, the orchestra works really well on some songs (Song for America, Nobody's Home, Hold On, to name a few), and it's rather superfluous on some others. It's a very good representation of what the current lineup's shows are like, aside from the guest appearances by Livgren and Morse.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #154 on: August 26, 2013, 04:59:02 PM »
What pogo said and that's how I got it.  They are awesome.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #155 on: August 27, 2013, 07:50:36 AM »
I just saw the billboard for Billy Bob's in Fort Worth that the guys are coming next weekend (the 7th).  After seeing them over a dozen times, i just don't know if its worth going anymore.  Their setlist hasn't seemed to change at all in the last few years.  Just the same ol' stuff.  Have they changed anything?  It just seems like they're just Going Through The Motions (see what i did there?).

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: August 27, 2013, 03:08:15 PM »
I just saw the billboard for Billy Bob's in Fort Worth that the guys are coming next weekend (the 7th).  After seeing them over a dozen times, i just don't know if its worth going anymore.  Their setlist hasn't seemed to change at all in the last few years.  Just the same ol' stuff.  Have they changed anything?  It just seems like they're just Going Through The Motions (see what i did there?).
Well, aside from adding the orchestra at some of their dates the last few years, they pretty much haven't changed anything. The setlist, by and large, has been the same for over a decade.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #157 on: August 27, 2013, 11:00:07 PM »
They recently released a "Classic Albums" box set which I'm told includes the remastered versions of the albums, but without digging further into it, I cannot confirm that the Monolith disc is a remaster. It's possible, though.

I wanna say that it *probably* is remastered, but I'm not sure. The same company has been releasing box sets for other bands, and I bought a few in the last few months (Bill Withers, The Byrds, Blue Oyster Cult and Cheap Trick) and every album in each set seemed to have been remastered.

I didn't buy the Kansas one because I already own the albums but I think there's that one, ELO and Joni Mitchell that they released as well. Really nice box sets if anyone's interested.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #158 on: August 28, 2013, 09:47:22 AM »
Well, aside from adding the orchestra at some of their dates the last few years, they pretty much haven't changed anything. The setlist, by and large, has been the same for over a decade.

That's a damn shame.  When they're headlining, they can easily throw in a couple of different deep cuts for the die-hard fans.  How hard would it be to hire someone with bagpipes and play "Back Door"?  I actually really liked "Byzantium" when they played that.  Dump the Elefante stuff.  Add something different.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: August 28, 2013, 04:21:29 PM »

That's a damn shame.  When they're headlining, they can easily throw in a couple of different deep cuts for the die-hard fans.  How hard would it be to hire someone with bagpipes and play "Back Door"?  I actually really liked "Byzantium" when they played that.  Dump the Elefante stuff.  Add something different.
I mean, they've introduced a different song here and there. But they don't really seem to make any changes during a particular tour. The most interesting thing I ever saw them do was play a cover of Alanis Morrissette's "Uninvited."

There are several songs from Somewhere to Elsewhere that I'd love to see them play again, but it'll never happen because that material isn't popular enough.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #160 on: August 28, 2013, 07:19:09 PM »
Sounds like the same old setlist that they've been playing for quite some time.  It's no secret that Steve Walsh said he won't make any new music with Kansas.  So maybe he's just touring to help fund for his solo stuff, which I have enjoyed.
He's actually said he's done writing new material, period.

Barto, the guy that joined them for Carry on Wayward Son would have been Kerry Livgren. I also wish Fight Fire with Fire would be removed, but they've played it at every show I've seen in the last 15 years or so.
Wasn't Kerry Livgren. I'm guessing a local musician, or possibly someone from the support act.

Wouldn't mind seeing the Ft Worth show, but doubt I'll be physically up for it. Between the crowd and all the standing, I think it'd be problematic for me. To that end, the same old setlist actually serves me well. If they were doing something spectacular it'd really bug me.

And I wonder why Ft Worth? The reason you play Arlington is to cover both sides of DFW.

edit: looks like they broke out a two-set show the other night. Don't know if that's the new norm, or if it was a one off deal.

Set 1
Incumudro
Belexes
Point of Know Return
Song for America
On the Other Side
Nobody's Home
Hold On
Dust In The Wind
Ghosts / Rainmaker
Musicatto
Cheyenne Anthem
The Wall

Set 2
Paradox
Can I Tell You
Journey From Mariabronn
Icarus II
Icarus - Borne on Wings of Steel
Down the Road
Magnum Opus
Miracles Out of Nowhere
Lonely Wind
Portrait (He Knew)
Fight Fire with Fire
Carry On Wayward Son
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: August 28, 2013, 08:19:26 PM »
Is that setlist from the Pittsburgh show? If so, that was a special fan appreciation concert. I wanted to go, but I wasn't willing to shell out that kind of cash for a band I've seen 5+ times.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #162 on: August 28, 2013, 11:24:59 PM »
Jeez, a two set show and still a set list of almost all 70s songs (and still nothing from Monolith)?  Sure, most of their best stuff is from the 70s, but why not throw in a few songs from Freaks of Nature and Somewhere to Elsewhere?  We saw them on the Freaks... tour and they played four songs from it, all of which kicked ass.  In fact, seeing them is what got me to buy that CD in the first place.  Very underrated record.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #163 on: August 29, 2013, 08:00:03 AM »
That's actually not a bad setlist. 

I remember them doing "Uninvited".  I have a boot CD of one of those shows.  Wasn't a bad version at all.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #164 on: September 01, 2013, 02:18:21 PM »
That was the 40th anniversary concert.

I wouldn't have minded seeing this if it wasn't a 5-hour drive.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: July 12, 2014, 10:14:11 PM »
I'm listening to the 30th Anniversary Edition of Two for the Show again right now. My goodness did they botch the original release of this album. Not only had they left out a ton of great songs, but they left out KILLER performances of them! Vintage Steve Walsh is pretty much unbeatable.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: May 03, 2015, 05:34:48 AM »
An interview that Kansas fans may find interesting

https://www.innerviews.org/inner/kansas.html
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #167 on: May 03, 2015, 08:53:45 AM »
That was a good interview. Thanks for posting that. :)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #168 on: May 03, 2015, 01:38:06 PM »
Read that yesterday.  Good stuff.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #169 on: May 21, 2015, 09:25:48 AM »
What a fantastic interview.  Really fills in the rest of the Kansas story.  Love it.  Interesting news about going back to the studio.  What will it sound like?  Will it be more like Seventh Key (which did use a few unused Kansas demo songs on one of their albums)?  Could be very interesting. 
As much as a die-hard Kansas fan as i used to be, i've skipped the last few shows in Dallas, just because it just seemed they were going through the motions (sorry for the pun).  Saw them with Styx and Foreigner.  I was quite disappointed.  But i've seen a few clips with Ronnie Platt, and he's quite decent.  A new record might just be quite amazing.  We shall see....

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #170 on: May 21, 2015, 09:44:37 AM »
What a fantastic interview.  Really fills in the rest of the Kansas story.  Love it.  Interesting news about going back to the studio.  What will it sound like?  Will it be more like Seventh Key (which did use a few unused Kansas demo songs on one of their albums)?  Could be very interesting. 
As much as a die-hard Kansas fan as i used to be, i've skipped the last few shows in Dallas, just because it just seemed they were going through the motions (sorry for the pun).  Saw them with Styx and Foreigner.  I was quite disappointed.  But i've seen a few clips with Ronnie Platt, and he's quite decent.  A new record might just be quite amazing.  We shall see....
When I saw them last time they put on a real good show. I know they're playing some park in Richardson pretty soon, but without Walsh I don't feel very interested in dealing with it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #171 on: May 21, 2015, 09:50:23 AM »
When I saw them last time they put on a real good show. I know they're playing some park in Richardson pretty soon, but without Walsh I don't feel very interested in dealing with it.
From what I've heard and read, they sound much better now than they did over the last, well, 2 decades with Walsh.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #172 on: May 27, 2015, 08:08:12 AM »
From what I've heard and read, they sound much better now than they did over the last, well, 2 decades with Walsh.

I can't argue with that.  I have skipped seeing them the last few times they've come to Dallas because there was no passion in their playing.  Walsh was phoning it in.  I knew his days were numbered.  Now, it seems there is a renewed sense of passion with the band.  We'll see.... 

I'll have to look into seeing where they're playing in Richardson, Barto.  I would imagine it's somewhere around the 4th of July.  They seem to play here around that timeframe lately.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: July 03, 2016, 02:10:21 AM »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #174 on: July 03, 2016, 10:39:03 AM »
It sounds really good and worth the Kansas's name  :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)