Author Topic: The year that has the most impact on your musical journey  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The year that has the most impact on your musical journey
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2023, 05:22:01 AM »
I would add "Rock and Roll Over", but that's just me.

You're not going to like this, Stadler, and I'm not trying to be cruel, but these are the facts. I was 15 in 1976 and everything that goes along with it, including being to old and cool to listen to KISS. That was kid stuff. It was meant for the thumb-suckers, the gullible, and people who went to circuses and monster truck shows. And it stuck. To this day, I can't hear a KISS song or see and image of them without revulsion. Paul Stanley's voice makes my ears hug to my head in fright and causes an involuntary muscle spasm which makes my arm shoot out to change the radio channel (because that's the only way I'm going to hear KiSS). I'm not kidding.

Since I started frequenting DTF, this is the most baffling mystery on the whole board to me. I've kept my mouth shut about it, until now. How can grown up people, who are serious fans of music, stand to listen to KISS? I hear you, King, TAC, and probably others, bang on about this album, or that album and I can only shake my head. It doesn't appear to be nostalgia either, y'all seem to really like it. I know, I know, "opinions" and all that.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2023, 06:39:51 AM »

You're not going to like this, Stadler, and I'm not trying to be cruel, but these are the facts. I was 15 in 1976 and everything that goes along with it, including being to old and cool to listen to KISS. That was kid stuff. It was meant for the thumb-suckers, the gullible, and people who went to circuses and monster truck shows. And it stuck. To this day, I can't hear a KISS song or see and image of them without revulsion. Paul Stanley's voice makes my ears hug to my head in fright and causes an involuntary muscle spasm which makes my arm shoot out to change the radio channel (because that's the only way I'm going to hear KiSS). I'm not kidding.

Since I started frequenting DTF, this is the most baffling mystery on the whole board to me. I've kept my mouth shut about it, until now. How can grown up people, who are serious fans of music, stand to listen to KISS? I hear you, King, TAC, and probably others, bang on about this album, or that album and I can only shake my head. It doesn't appear to be nostalgia either, y'all seem to really like it. I know, I know, "opinions" and all that.

I appreciate your POV as a 15 y/o who was there. I find it really interesting, and I'm thankful for your perspective. I hadn't considered that even in 1976, there were people calling Kiss gay or a baby kids band.

I got into Kiss in 1978 in the 4th grade. I was 9 turning 10. My first album was Kiss Alive II. One of my father's students gave us Kiss: The Originals, and my mother got us the other albums through Columbia House.
I thought the makeup and personalities were interesting. The whole "can't be photographed" personas.

Their music is really the first music that started laying a foundation to me being a rock/hard rock fan for life. Their music has stuck. They were "The Beatles" of my lifetime. And saying that, understand that the actual Beatles mean nothing to me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2023, 09:00:31 AM »
Podaar, I can probably come up with an example that is similar to Kiss for you. I totally get it.   My parents were big into country music, and worshipped at the altar of Big John Cash and Elvis, as well as other luminaries like George Jones, Hank Williams, Loretta Lynn, ... these are the "Rolling Stones" and "Beatles" of their genre.   For a fan of that, Gene Simmons was a boob (and my dad called him that on many an occasion).   

But I was like TAC.  I was 10.  I was a scared, shy kid that knew girls were the goods, but didn't have the first clue as to how to involve myself in that new world.  And you had these guys... they were larger than life. They were rock gods.  They were everything I was not.   They could decide who saw them and who didn't.  Maybe... just maybe... that WAS their real faces (find a book by Robert Duncan, a writer for Creem magazine; he dedicated an entire chapter to Gene that was sort of otherworldly; I wore that paperback out as a kid.)

But it's not all just "had to be there".  That was the Partridge Family.   Here, I liked the music immediately, but that was a visceral thing.  I didn't think about it.  I was 10.  "She": Bwa-now.  BWA-NOW! Ba-na-na-na, na-na-na-na-NAH! Loved it.  But later, I came to appreciate the music, once I knew a little more.  They were a cool blend of the Beatles (Gene's walking basslines, some of the melodies) and Zeppelin (the heavy riffage of a Les Paul through a Marshall stack) and the Stones (the suspended chords, the two guitars working in unison)...   with all the nonsense out of the way, I LIKE their music. I LIKE Gene's voice.  I LIKE Paul's voice.  I swear, I listened to Kiss in the car - probably "She", it's still one of my top three favorite songs by Kiss - within the last three days.

I've met Gene and Paul, twice each, and both times they were EVERYTHING you would hope your heroes were.  Kind, generous, attentive... both times, Gene actually asked ME a question. Paul met my daughter (she was I think 6 or 7 at the time) and got down on one knee and asked her about her earrings and stuff...

Not everything sits well:  As good a song as it is musically, I bristle a bit at lyrics like Christine Sixteen. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2023, 11:33:35 AM »
I'm glad you and Tim took my post as it was intended. I'll be 62 this summer and my morning posts frequently sound crotchety when I read them later in the day. I don't intend to offend, and I very much value our associations on this forum.

I will say, that since arriving here, I've tried several times to listen to KISS with your ears. I'll probably try again at some point. So far, I've only been able to find a grudging appreciation for Gene's playing...in fact, I'd probably really like Detroit Rock City for that reason alone if it weren't for the interruption of the tortured cat screeching of Paul Stanley. *shudders*

I'm sure they're fine folks underneath, but I find their odious public persona's a bit too much for me.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2023, 11:43:37 AM »

Hell, I listen to the Bay City Rollers once in a while.  :lol  Honestly, It's nostalgic these days.  I see a birthday for an album and listen to it.  My tastes have changed but it's still fun to listen to the old albums.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2023, 01:32:46 PM »
I'm glad you and Tim took my post as it was intended. I'll be 62 this summer and my morning posts frequently sound crotchety when I read them later in the day. I don't intend to offend, and I very much value our associations on this forum.

All of this applies to me as well.

I'll be 55 in September. I can't imagine what my posts are gonna look like when I'm 62.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2023, 01:39:00 PM »

I'll be 55 in September. I can't imagine what my posts are gonna look like when I'm 62.  :lol

*Sign of the cross*
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2023, 06:24:06 PM »
I don't have years when albums came out, but 2004 - 2006 is when I had my biggest discoveries in music.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2023, 08:53:38 AM »

*Sign of the cross*

Word.