Author Topic: [Music] Guilt Machine - On This Perfect Day  (Read 5065 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
[Music] Guilt Machine - On This Perfect Day
« on: October 11, 2009, 09:29:11 PM »
Reviewed By: Nicholas R. Andreas
Artist: Guilt Machine
Album: On This Perfect Day
Genre: Progressive Rock
Year of Release: 2009
On Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/This-Perfect-Day-Guilt-Machine/dp/B002LMOCHW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1255310242&sr=8-2

Guilt Machine is yet another side project of Ayreon mastermind Arjen Lucassen. Unlike Ayreon, which is famous for a myriad of guest vocalists and instrumentalists, the album On This Perfect Day has only four members. Lori Linstruth, guitarist on Arjen’s Stream of Passion project handles the lead guitars and lyrics, while unknown talent Jasper Steverlinck takes on vocal duty, and ex-Porcupine Tree drummer Chris Maitland is behind the kit. Arjen of course handles all other instruments, aside from a violinist and a cellist.

Although the six songs on the record are each quite strong in their own rite, I cannot help but feel that at times we are hearing slightly sub-par b-sides from the last Ayreon release, 01011001. While I normally think Arjen does a fantastic job on turning out something very new between different Ayreon or side project releases, when you get to 0:30 or 6:55 of “Green and Cream” or 0:56 of “Over” you see quite clearly that perhaps not enough time has passed since the completion of the last Ayreon album. Another theory behind these similarities could be the theme of the album, which is depression and the resulting emotions. Arjen has said he can only write when he is happy, and this album comes on the tail of great personal hardship and depression, so perhaps some ideas carrying over was inevitable.

Despite this carryover there is a lot of great new material on the album, and the lack of a billion guests seems to give it a nice concise unified punch. It is a somewhat dark album, made to give a look into depression, guilt, and all that goes along with those things and it accomplishes that emotionally. In addition the final two tracks, “Over” and “Perfection?” stand out as being phenomenal.

With only four members in this project, each one will undoubtedly come under a microscope a great deal more than on a typical Ayreon project. Perhaps the most scrutinized will be Jasper, who was selected because of his ability to convey a wide range of emotions that Arjen would normally select a diverse group of vocalists for. He does a fine job with the vocals on the album, but I can’t really say that he was a perfect choice for the project. I would have much preferred Jasper have taken Daniel Gildenlow’s small role on 01011001 so that Daniel could have come in on this and given the album a truly dynamic one man show. Everyone else was on top of their game, especially Chris Maitland who was able to nail the function he was brought in to do, to play both heavier parts, and especially more subdued and subtle parts. Also, I think it is worth noting what a fantastic job Arjen does in providing some of the backing vocals for the record. Normally he is one voice of many, bouncing off other voices and separating for its own unique punch, but on this album he does an amazing job complimenting Jasper’s voice.

Finally some mention needs to be made for the effort Arjen and Lori made to get the fans involved with this project. While the album was being made they asked fans to send in messages relating to guilt and similar emotions, and twenty of those lucky fans had their messages interwoven into the music of the album. This little touch really adds an extra degree to the album, and drives its central theme home.

Composition: 8/10
Sound: 8.5/10
Musicianship: 8/10
Final Presentation: 8.5/10
Overall: 8.25/10 or 83%

The special and deluxe editions of the album come with a bonus DVD containing a 40 minute interview with 3/4ths of the band, several radio edits, an additional original track, and a special track made to accommodate additional fan messages. I am fortunate enough to say I appear on this track, and even in this small capacity it is a real treat to be able to say I appear on an album with Arjen, who I consider to be my favorite composer. So thank you Arjen and Lori for the idea to include the fans on this album and handling all the submissions that came your way!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
Re: [Music] Guilt Machine - On This Perfect Day
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 09:59:56 PM »
I was kind of ambivalent about getting this one.  Reading the review only solidified that ambivalence.

But then I saw the actual scores you gave it and I'm leaning towards actually getting it.  Maybe in a few days I'll decide I have the money and I'll order it.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 10:01:58 PM »
I mean, when reading that score keep in mind I absolutely adore Arjen Lucassen, to the point where I plan on naming my first daughter Ayreona. I gave it an 83%, but that probably places it below all but two, or perhaps even all Ayreon albums, the Star One Project, and the first Stream of Passion CD. :lol
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Phantasmatron

• DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 10:04:47 PM »
Well, I think Arjen is a bit of a genius too, although I'm not naming any children after him.  So it doesn't really bother me that the review is coming from the point of view of a professed fanboy.

I think I owe it to the guy to check out his other music simply out of gratitude for making The Human Equation.  :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 10:06:46 PM »
True! :lol

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 03:31:09 PM »
I just thought of how cool it would be if I named my first born son Arjen.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 12:36:05 PM »
You should name your son 01011001
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 12:51:28 PM »
Y would I do that?

Offline Phantasmatron

• DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 12:52:52 PM »
:clap:

Well played, Nick.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 02:20:41 PM »
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 05:04:13 PM »
:clap:

Well played, Nick.
Indeed.

I third this.

Good review too. Been considering getting this for a while....
Might just order it now.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 09:13:04 PM »
BUMP
Got this album recently.
Lack of a mention for Season of Denial in the review is terrible. That's far and away the best song on the album and maybe one of the best songs Arjen's ever written. So awesome.
Oh and the rest of the album is pretty great too though I don't like Green and Cream much (mostly because of the recurring section in the second half that is directly ripped from New Born Race and because I think the song title is stupid <_<) but overall it's a pretty solid album, 8.7/10 or so from me.