Author Topic: JP Pick Thickness  (Read 9447 times)

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
  • There's so much more to see in the darkest places
Re: JP Pick Thickness
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2009, 09:34:19 PM »
Check this out: https://most-expensive.net/guitar-picks

Guitar picks made from a meteorite.  $4700
My Soundclick Page

I can just sense Gwii hiding in the bushes with a knife between his teeth.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2009, 07:54:52 AM »
But its true...if you are actually playing a 20,000 dollar guitar, you are a straight up idiot. Keep that puppy nice and safe.

wow.

If you pay 20k for a guitar it is because you are paying for an instrument with such quality that it is superior to most other instruments. yes people pay 20k for a guitar. and yes people actually play them.

as for a $20 pick, did you read the description on their website? its extensive stuff, so labor and time go into the price, as with any expensive guitar. its not that hard to believe at all.

I actually side with 73109. In terms of sound and manufacturing quality, about $7-8k I'd say is the limit after which you've used the best materials possible and the best manufacturing possible. The remaining $12k are simply fluff. Top-end products always have an open ceiling because there's always morons who will pay any amount of money in their belief that they've outdone somebody with that.
The above statement of course applies to new guitars. Historic guitars can go at any value, but that's not because of their sound.

Regarding the $20 picks, just because one is using fancy word ("polymerized proteins") doesn't mean it actually costs you any more to produce the stuff. It's a polymer, just like all the other picks.

rumborak

if it sounds good and plays well people will pay what it takes for the right one.

Historic guitars can go at any value, but that's not because of their sound.

I could disagree with this partially.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2009, 01:17:13 PM »
If you buy Jimi Hendrix's favorite Strat...are you paying for the thousand dollar strat, or the fact that it was used by the Guitar God...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 01:36:43 PM by 73109 »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2009, 01:28:10 PM »
I still fail to see how or why it should matter to you (and to the people who wrote those "reviews" on gc.com) whether people want to buy an expensive guitar. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2009, 01:32:25 PM »
I use a polished brass guitar pick, called the q-pic.  I absolutely LOVE IT.  Nice bright tone and good solid attack.  They're $5 a piece.

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2009, 01:54:06 PM »
If you buy Jimi Hendrix's favorite Strat...are you paying for the thousand dollar strat, or the fact that it was used by the Guitar God...

I wasn't talking about a Hendrix guitar. I was talking about a vintage instrument and why someone would pay more than the original value of it. Vintage instruments are muuuuch different than new instruments, and many people would pay big bucks for the way the instrument plays, feels, looks and amplifies.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2009, 03:41:44 PM »
I use a polished brass guitar pick, called the q-pic.  I absolutely LOVE IT.  Nice bright tone and good solid attack.  They're $5 a piece.

I've got stainless steel picks. They're pretty cool but they dent the shit out of the strings.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2009, 07:53:07 PM »

I've got stainless steel picks. They're pretty cool but they dent the shit out of the strings.

I don't ever seem to have much problem with them.  The opposing sided edges of the picks have worn a good bit and could start to get a little sharp, but so far so good.  I love them.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2009, 02:46:31 AM »

I don't ever seem to have much problem with them.  The opposing sided edges of the picks have worn a good bit and could start to get a little sharp, but so far so good.  I love them.

Double usage: After playing with these picks for a length of time, tape them together to create a shuriken.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2009, 08:44:16 AM »
 :rollin

Not a bad idea, actually.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2009, 08:16:20 PM »
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin-D-28-Authentic-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar-513360-i1175484.gc

If you play that, you need to be put in a padded cell...NAO!!!!

I got a kick out of where it says "SHIPS FREE!".