Author Topic: Anyone else do this?  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
Anyone else do this?
« on: October 10, 2009, 12:15:07 PM »
You have a part, and you know it. But when you try to play it sinced with music you keep messing up. So you spend like twenty minutes trying. Then you decide to take a quick break (Bathroom, get a drink, grab a snack etc etc) and when you come back you nail the part perfectly on your first try. Anyone else ever done this? Or do it a lot?
gone

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
Re: Anyone else do this?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 01:27:03 PM »
Yup. It relaxes you. You let out any frustrations, and your hands loosen up and stuff.

Offline True Death of Life

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 07:35:59 AM »
Ha, yes TOTALLY. I think I just get to wrapped up in my errors, and taking that little break separates me from them a bit. Because you really, actually know exactly what to do, but you're so nervous of getting it wrong AGAIN and it just consumes you.

This happens all the time when I record. After 14 tries I was still very unsatisfied, so I gave up until a few hours later. And played it perfectly, with nearly flawless quality  :lol

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 03:32:33 PM »
This was a great thing to learn when I started out as applying that to real work is the single most effective way of being productive. :tup
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 05:14:02 PM »
Yeah, although usually it'll happen the next day, like after spending hours and hours practicing. I'll call it a part and wake up and just nail it first time around.

Actually if I spend a lot of time playing, I'll take a few days off, maybe a week and I'll come back much fresher, cleaner, and more ideas.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 04:36:36 AM »
They teach us at recording/mixing school that for every hour or so of mixing or recording, you should take 15 minutes break.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 05:26:12 AM »
Yep.  In the Maiden biography, Steve Harris talks about learning a Black Sabbath song (if I recall correctly) and not getting it at all, so he throws his bass down on his bed in a huff.  Comes back the next day and BOOMHOWER; nails it.

Offline Dark Master Of Sin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 05:57:18 AM »
They teach us at recording/mixing school that for every hour or so of mixing or recording, you should take 15 minutes break.
That sounds smart, might start doing that for bass.
gone

Offline timddrums

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 10:07:43 PM »
This has definitely happened to me plenty of times with drums and bass, even vocals.  Im in the process of learning the count of tuscany on bass right now its so fun to play!!!

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 11:27:43 PM »
That sounds smart, might start doing that for bass.

oh man yes. practicing should never go for more than 45 minutes or an hour with a break. ideally 30 minutes hard core, then 15-20 relaxing.
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline True Death of Life

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 07:53:12 PM »
Just happenedd to me 2 days ago; I was recording and on my 18th try, I left in exasperation. I cam back 2 hours later and played it flawlessly.  :-\

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 06:25:49 AM »
I know what you mean. When tracking bands and someone isn't getting it, I tell them to go for a wander and a cup of coffee whilst someone else gets some of their tracks down. Usually works a treat unless they genuinely are unable to play as well as they think. :lol

While it's also good for keeping up concentration, it's also law here that you need at least a five minute break every hour or so whilst using a computer to avoid RSI and such.

I've done live shows (FOH sound, not playing) where I've ended up organising everyone and being stage manager as well as the usual rigging/de-rigging, sound checks and mixing the show without any break whatsoever, including no time for food, simply because the people who were supposed to be doing it had no idea and just decided to hang about thinking that they were so cool being in the music business. Stressful and having no breaks meant that my mixing suffered really badly as I wasn't functioning as well as usual. Needless to say the promoter got a proper earfull from me by the end.
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 12:56:20 PM »
Yeah, if you get too tense or try too hard so-to-speak, it'll just usually get worse from there, but if you take a break or try again the next day you can usually do whatever you were trying to do perfectly.

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 01:35:16 PM »
Yep, it happens to me all the time.