Author Topic: Deftones  (Read 30850 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Deftones
« Reply #280 on: September 30, 2020, 09:30:45 PM »
I am really loving this new album. Dare I say it's their best since White Pony? Possibly.....
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #281 on: October 02, 2020, 06:44:10 PM »
Nah their best since Koi No Yokan :P

This album has really grown on me a lot lately, I absolutely love the middle section from Urantia to Pompeji. Also the use of synths overall is pretty refreshing and fits quite well.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #282 on: October 02, 2020, 07:09:03 PM »
Diamond Eyes is still my favorite by them, easily.

fuck what fantano says
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #283 on: October 02, 2020, 09:21:07 PM »

fuck what fantano says
Brainthony Wavetano knows all!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #284 on: October 02, 2020, 10:18:14 PM »

fuck what fantano says

I clicked out of that Ohms review when I heard what he had to say about Diamond Eyes.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #285 on: October 02, 2020, 10:56:28 PM »

fuck what fantano says

I clicked out of that Ohms review when I heard what he had to say about Diamond Eyes.  :lol
Wow, I'm almost certain he is trolling when it comes to Deftones.....I mean, he has to be.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #286 on: October 03, 2020, 12:20:40 AM »
His Ohms review was the final nail in the coffin for me and I unsubscribed. Not that I can't take it that someone dislikes something I like, but I've watched less and less of his videos over the last year or two and I just feel like his 'focus' has gone in a very different direction than my own. But I've always felt like he has a tendency to go overboard (positive or negative) sometimes to generate more clicks. I remember he savaged Raven when it came out in 2013 as well, and fair play if you don't like it but many of his negative complaints just felt very forced. For the most part I feel like the albums he reviews these days are albums I have no interest in so it's a bit pointless. :p

Regarding Ohms I feel it's growing with every spin. Love Urantia and the mix of heavy riffs and dreamy atmospheric parts. Genesis is a great opener, the title track is a great closer. Overall just a really great album! I'm just so happy that the Diamond Eyes/Koi No Yokan guitars are back and we don't have the muddy mix/production of Gore.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #287 on: October 03, 2020, 09:40:47 AM »
I just find it funny that, aside from the title track and Genesis, all of my favorite songs were his least favorites, and vice versa. :lol

I realized a long time ago that his tastes and mine don't have all that much overlap. That said, there's a bunch of artists I wouldn't have checked out if he hadn't reviewed them, and some of them I've gone on to become big fans of (Anamanaguchi, King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard, Elder, etc). So I think it balances out.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #288 on: January 25, 2021, 01:15:12 PM »
I think I've finally had a breakthrough with Deftones and I'm FINALLY starting to 'get' them. I mean it's been a long old road. Being 37 I was there during the hype of nu-metal. I liked Limp Bizkit sure and ended up liking Linkin Park and Slipknot, but Deftones were a band I never really understood the appeal.

I've tried many, many times over the last 20 years. I had a few friends growing up who were into them I guess but no one I knew considered them their favourite band or anything. I suppose White Pony is the album I've tried the most. I remember 12 years ago or something I actually liked the song Back to School (Mini Maggit), but I think Moreno's vocals were always the biggest obstacle.

Anyway, for some reason (I guess it was checking out Ohms) I recently thought I give them another go. I've been working my way backwards through their catalogue and I'm finding myself wanting to listen to them, a lot!

I downloaded Ohms, Diamond Eyes, Gore and Koi No Yokan onto my ipod and currently I'd say the following are the songs I'm really digging:

Sextape
Phantom Bride
Rosemary (that outro  :heart )
Goon Squad

I have no idea on what songs are considered favourites or generally loved by the fanbase but I'm loving these. Just need to round up listening to their first two albums and then I'll probably download a few more.

Anyone else find them difficult to get into?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 01:23:24 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline DTA

« Reply #289 on: January 25, 2021, 02:06:59 PM »
I think I've finally had a breakthrough with Deftones and I'm FINALLY starting to 'get' them. I mean it's been a long old road. Being 37 I was there during the hype of nu-metal. I liked Limp Bizkit sure and ended up liking Linkin Park and Slipknot, but Deftones were a band I never really understood the appeal.

I've tried many, many times over the last 20 years. I had a few friends growing up who were into them I guess but no one I knew considered them their favourite band or anything. I suppose White Pony is the album I've tried the most. I remember 12 years ago or something I actually liked the song Back to School (Mini Maggit), but I think Moreno's vocals were always the biggest obstacle.

Anyway, for some reason (I guess it was checking out Ohms) I recently thought I give them another go. I've been working my way backwards through their catalogue and I'm finding myself wanting to listen to them, a lot!

I downloaded Ohms, Diamond Eyes, Gore and Koi No Yokan onto my ipod and currently I'd say the following are the songs I'm really digging:

Sextape
Phantom Bride
Goon Squad

I have no idea on what songs are considered favourites or get really loved by the fanbase but I'm loving these. Just need to round up listening to their first two albums and then I'll probably download a few more.

I like a lot of their more atmospheric stuff over the harder metal stuff. Their first 2 albums have some great moments, but it wasn't until White Pony that I thought they really became something special and broke out of the "nu-metal" sound (even though traces of it show up past those albums). I can't believe Chino's voice was an obstacle, to me, he's the most integral part due to the way he can honestly hit any note good or bad and make it sound like it belongs.

I think my favorite albums overall are Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan. My favorite songs are Korea (even though I just said I prefer the atmospheric stuff this song/main riff just KILLS), Cherry Waves, Gauze, Leathers, Beauty School, Hearts/Wires, and Needles & Pins. Such an incredible band, though their last 2 releases just haven't really hit me like their other albums.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #290 on: January 25, 2021, 03:04:27 PM »
I've been listening to Deftones relentlessly the past week.

There's so much to offer. They really grew beyond their earlier heavy stuff and some of their later material is utterly beautiful. Entombed is probably my favorite song by them, but I'll just as easily love every second of Be quiet and drive.

Just an awesome, very unique band with a lot of variety.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #291 on: January 25, 2021, 05:01:49 PM »

Sextape
Phantom Bride
Goon Squad

I have no idea on what songs are considered favourites or get really loved by the fanbase but I'm loving these. Just need to round up listening to their first two albums and then I'll probably download a few more.

I understand you very much!
Citing the previous post, I have been listening to Deftones relentlessly for the past year, and sadly I know 99% of their discography by now.
It has been one of the bands which has demonstrated me once again that there is still something special in music to be discovered, even when you think you may not find other bands on the level of your favourites.

I am 27 and I grew up with numetal and I like Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Slipknot and some Korn songs, but I never checked out Deftones at that time. I listened 7 years ago to Koi No Yokan and I liked it, but I wasn't impressed by the odd songs I tried from other albums and Koi No Yokan was just good but not mindblowing, and I still think more or less the same about it.

But last year Digital Bath clicked (thanks to whoever sent it in a roulette which made me listen to Deftones again, don't remember who and in which roulette), and then the whole White Pony album, which is a superb album as said by many.

The self titled while not a perfect album by any means and maybe too much full of dark and similar mid tempo song, has obsessed me for a long time this year too, and it's my second favourite. Adrenaline and Around The Fur are a step below but still very enjoyable, and I still can't recall some of the songs in there, so it means I still have some enjoyment left out of them.

Regarding newer albums Diamond Eyes is slowly rising at the top of my rankings. I disliked it at first as it sounded non innovative, predictable and safe having listened all of their other albums, but the sound of the album is crystalline, the flow is great and some songs are among my favorites.

1. White Pony
2. Deftones
3. Saturday Night Wrist
4. Diamond Eyes
5. Around The Fur
6. Ohms
7. Adrenaline
8. Koi No Yokan
9. Gore

Favorite songs in chronological order of albums:
Fireal (Adrenaline)
Be Quiet And Drive (Around The Fur)
Feiticiera, Digital Bath, Street Carp, Korea, Change, but I could say the whole White Pony album.
Deathblow - When Girls Telephone Boys - Battle Axe from the self titled is maybe my favorite three song run of the discography.
Rapture, Beware, Cherry Waves, Xerces (Saturday Night Wrist)
Beauty School, Risk, This Place Is Death (Diamond Eyes)
Rubicon and Acid Hologram are 2 of the 4 tracks I like of the whole Gore album.
Graphic Nature has always been my favorite from Koi No Yokan since I knew the album, and I still find it catchy.
Genesis from Ohms. Solid album overall though.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #292 on: January 25, 2021, 05:21:17 PM »
My rankings would be something like this, considering I haven't listened to Gore, Adrenaline, and the selt-titled one yet:

White Pony
Koi No Yokan
Ohms
Around the Fur
Saturday Night Wrist
Diamond Eyes

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #293 on: January 25, 2021, 05:31:28 PM »
Diamond Eyes
Around the fur

White pony
Koi No Yokan

Deftones
Gore
Saturday Night wrist

ohms
Adrenaline

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #294 on: January 26, 2021, 04:09:21 AM »
Ohms is a good record, quite amazing at times. I don't like it as much as Koi No Yokan, Saturday Night Wrist or White Pony, but it's pretty close. Certainly a step up from Gore. The production kind of ruined that album for me.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #295 on: January 26, 2021, 04:22:30 AM »
I like a lot of their more atmospheric stuff over the harder metal stuff. Their first 2 albums have some great moments, but it wasn't until White Pony that I thought they really became something special and broke out of the "nu-metal" sound (even though traces of it show up past those albums). I can't believe Chino's voice was an obstacle, to me, he's the most integral part due to the way he can honestly hit any note good or bad and make it sound like it belongs.

Yea I think to be fair I'm digging their more atmospheric stuff as well. But so much quality material over the span of their career. About Chino's vocals, it's not that I ever actively disliked them, it was more that I didn't get it! His vocals were always so different to a lot of the metal I grew up listening to and I just couldn't wrap my head around what he was doing  :lol  it makes more sense to me now my tastes have broadened I guess.

Looking back, I think the other obstacle for me has been Diamond Eyes. I know it is a big fan favourite, and I'm slowly coming around to it, but I prefer Koi No Yokan and Gore so far. I know I checked out White Pony many times over the years, as a fan favourite (and it never clicked), and I also know that years down the line I checked out Diamond Eyes, which also didn't click.

Due to this I just assumed that I would never get into this band. Guess I was just listening to the wrong albums as Koi No Yokan and Gore are the albums that made me want to listen through all their discography. This is a prime example, at least for me, of never always trusting the general consensus when it comes to music. Make up your own mind  :lol

Finally, I've compiled a little playlist based on the songs you guys mentioned as faves (as well as my own faves) to really familiarise myself with certain songs  :metal

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #296 on: January 26, 2021, 04:57:19 AM »
I also didn't get them for many years.

At the time I first tried to get into them it was like 2002, and I was listening almost exclusively to Dream Theater so Chino's vocals were so wildly different and I wasn't really digging them.

It was Diamond eyes that made me into a Deftones fan and I branched out from there. Now they are one of my favorite bands.

Offline krands85

« Reply #297 on: January 26, 2021, 08:46:38 AM »
Can't remember exactly how or when I started listening to them, other than it was definitely before Saturday Night Wrist came out. I guess it was hearing songs from Around the Fur and White Pony on Kerrang and MTV2 in the early 200s.

Album rankings would be something like this:

1. Koi No Yokan
2. White Pony
3. Around the Fur

4. Saturday Night Wrist
5. Diamond Eyes

6. Deftones
7. Ohms
8. Adrenaline
9. Gore

I still need to listen to Ohms more though, I kind of forgot about it. Making the list has made me want to binge a bit on the band actually!

Some of my favourite tracks: Tempest, Leathers, Swerve City, Royal, Rocket Skates, Hole in the Earth, Hexagram, Minerva, Knife Prty, Passenger, Change (In the House of Flies), My Own Summer (Shove It), Around the Fur, Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away).
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #298 on: January 26, 2021, 11:12:58 AM »
1. Diamond Eyes
2. Ohms
3. Koi No Yokan
4. White Pony
--
5. Saturday Night Wrist
6. Around the Fur
7. Deftones
--
8. Adrenaline
9. Gore

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #299 on: January 26, 2021, 12:45:04 PM »
Is Gore generally rated so low by you guys solely based on the production? Or is it also down to the songs themselves? If it's the former then I'm glad that my ear just doesn't seem to pick up on this stuff  :lol  I honestly don't have a problem with how it sounds at all and think it's one of my favourites, now I've listened to all their albums.

Loose ranking based on listening through everything. Some of these I've only listened to once or twice so far:

1. Koi No Yokan
2. Gore
3. White Pony
4. Around the Fur
5. Diamond Eyes
6. Deftones
7. Ohms
8. Saturday Night Wrisr
9. Adrenaline

Don't want to rush into devouring everything Deftones related super quick, but thinking I may just spin the +++'s and Team Sleep albums next.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #300 on: January 26, 2021, 12:59:58 PM »
Gore for me is a combination of the production annoying me but also the songs themselves feeling pretty weak. Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan have memorable riffs in spades and still pack loads of memorable melodies, with Gore it's like nothing memorable in either department. I've probably listened to it a good 15-20 times (10-15 initially and then I return to it every once in a while) and if I had a gun to my head I don't think I could remember any of the songs from the top of my head.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #301 on: January 26, 2021, 01:05:59 PM »
For me, Gore has:

Phantom bride
Prayers/triangles

Both of which I really like and most days even love Phantom Bride.

I really love the beginning of hearts/wires and song is fine for the most part

and Doomed user is serviceable, but overall its a weak album but not totally without merit

Offline krands85

« Reply #302 on: January 26, 2021, 01:40:19 PM »
Gore's production doesn't bother me, it's just the songs themselves that don't do anything for me. Phantom Bride is the only song I revisit. Coming after Koi No Yokan probably hurt it a bit too, as I was really looking forward to what they'd come up with after that and it just ended up being a big disappointment.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #303 on: January 27, 2021, 07:13:04 AM »
You guys ever hear the stuff off of their lost album Eros?

here goes smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rETGJHkZyhs

Offline LordCost

« Reply #304 on: January 27, 2021, 09:18:34 AM »
It's about the songs for me too, I am not bothered by the production.

Acid Hologram, Rubicon, Phantom Bride and Hearts Wires are definitely good, but lots of other songs are rather weak to me.
LMIRL has good moments too, but as a whole I feel is not coherent. The other songs are just not that interesting, they lack a strong hook.

I read about Eros, and in the latest interviews they said they would probably publish an EP with the best songs at some point, because they were not convinced about some songs.
On the Wikipedia page of Eros, musical style section, it sounds like an intriguing album.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #305 on: January 27, 2021, 09:20:54 AM »
I'm going all in on this band right now. Just listened to Adrenaline for the second time and loved it! It's a really good debut and I love the energy and rawness of it.

You guys ever hear the stuff off of their lost album Eros?

here goes smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rETGJHkZyhs

I was reading up on Eros last night. This seems pretty dope but it's all fresh to me at the moment  :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #306 on: February 09, 2021, 09:25:08 AM »
Listening to Ohms just now and it reminded me how much I love Abe Cunningham's drum sound. It's always so clear and punchy. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #307 on: May 14, 2022, 09:23:32 AM »
Anyone else catch a show on this US tour? It was my first time seeing them, and it was a lot of fun. Pretty heavy set and lots of moshing. They also only played 2 songs from the newest album, which I'm fine with tbh but I could see some people being disappointed by that since this is technically the "Ohms tour" :lol