Author Topic: Deftones  (Read 30513 times)

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Re: Deftones
« Reply #140 on: September 08, 2015, 10:46:30 AM »
I got into the band with Diamond Eyes and loved that album so much that I scooped up the rest of the discography after that. I liked Koi No Yokan enough but I think it was coming out just as I was moving on to other bands. It's hard to believe that's a 2012 album. I listened to it so little that it still feels like a really recent release to me.

Loved that song they released from Eros too. Holding out hope we get that whole album someday.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #141 on: September 28, 2015, 11:24:22 AM »
So I've been listening to a lot of Deftones lately since I picked up my 8 string and wanted something that's possible to play for me and I must say, I should have checked this band out much sooner. I've heard My Own Summer, Change (In The House of Flies) and Digital Bath before, but never really got deep into their music.

Especially the last two albums are completely mindblowing, Koi No Yokai might be my favourite album to spin atm. I'm super stoked to hear that a new album might be coming out soon.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #142 on: September 28, 2015, 03:57:59 PM »
So I've been listening to a lot of Deftones lately since I picked up my 8 string and wanted something that's possible to play for me and I must say, I should have checked this band out much sooner. I've heard My Own Summer, Change (In The House of Flies) and Digital Bath before, but never really got deep into their music.

Especially the last two albums are completely mindblowing, Koi No Yokai might be my favourite album to spin atm. I'm super stoked to hear that a new album might be coming out soon.

:metal
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #143 on: November 01, 2015, 12:17:15 PM »
Didn't know DTF had a Deftones thread, I've been getting into them lately, my drum teacher gave me a copy of White Pony about eight years ago and I totally forgot about them ever since, this month I've been playing Koi No Yokai and Diamond Eyes to death, it's so different from the other alt/nu-metal bands.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #144 on: November 04, 2015, 09:32:02 AM »
Didn't know DTF had a Deftones thread, I've been getting into them lately, my drum teacher gave me a copy of White Pony about eight years ago and I totally forgot about them ever since, this month I've been playing Koi No Yokai and Diamond Eyes to death, it's so different from the other alt/nu-metal bands.

White Pony has got to be one of my top 3 all time favorite albums. There is nothing like it. Not even from their other albums.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #145 on: November 04, 2015, 10:08:35 AM »
Tbh White Pony is kind of a mixed bag for me. There are some amazing songs and some just outright boring. It wouldn't be in my top 3 Deftones albums for sure.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #146 on: November 04, 2015, 03:32:46 PM »
I've always felt White Pony is a bit overrated.  I find everything from Saturday Night Wrist onward is more interesting and consistent.  I would even say Koi No Yokan is the best thing they've done yet. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #147 on: November 04, 2015, 04:14:32 PM »
White Pony has some of their best, but also some songs I either can't stand or just get really boring.

Koi No Yokan, s/t and Diamond Eyes are my top three (no particular order).
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #148 on: November 07, 2015, 09:59:41 AM »
I've always felt White Pony is a bit overrated.  I find everything from Saturday Night Wrist onward is more interesting and consistent.  I would even say Koi No Yokan is the best thing they've done yet.

Blasphemy! White Pony is the best!

I love Saturday Night Wrist, a lot of people don't rate it too well, but its great, but I wouldn't say its consistent. It's very start/stop. That's what makes White Pony so beautiful, every song fits perfectly. Very cohesive.

I really like Koi No Yokan. But like I've said earlier, it sounds somewhat too "busy". That's the word I'll use to describe it. Or chaotic. It's still great, but it feels like there are too many things going on at once, like too many guitar tracks on top of one 'another. I don't know if that's actually the case, but that's how it sounds. I'm hoping with this next album they learned to streamline the sound better.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: November 07, 2015, 10:08:16 AM »
White Pony is great, but "Feiticera" has to be their worst song. Never understood how it was chosen to open the record.

With that said, all their albums are great. I'd probably rank the self-titled lowest, though.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #150 on: November 07, 2015, 11:27:18 AM »
Feiticera is good. Teenager is lowpoint of the album with Korea following close.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #151 on: November 07, 2015, 11:29:49 AM »
Love Feiticeira, I also agree Teenager is one of the worst on the album, along with Elite.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #152 on: November 07, 2015, 11:32:05 AM »
Love Feiticeira, I also agree Teenager is one of the worst on the album, along with Elite.

Elite is one of Deftones's best all-out heavy tracks. I just wish it was shorter, as it drags a bit too much towards the end.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #153 on: November 07, 2015, 11:36:18 AM »
Probably the reason I dislike it, I'm not the biggest fan of full out heavy vocals, I like some mixed vocals but this one's too much for me.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #154 on: November 08, 2015, 05:26:23 AM »
I do get the thing about Feiticeira (or however you write that word). It feels a bit disjointed and weird. It definitely had to grow on me, I didn't like that song at all when I first listened to the album.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #155 on: November 08, 2015, 05:30:33 AM »
I always thought Passenger was highly overrated on White Pony. Maybe even my least favorite on the album.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #156 on: November 08, 2015, 05:50:13 AM »
I always thought Passenger was highly overrated on White Pony. Maybe even my least favorite on the album.

I think it's okay. Not stellar or horrible, just kind of there.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: November 08, 2015, 08:53:26 AM »
I do get the thing about Feiticeira (or however you write that word). It feels a bit disjointed and weird. It definitely had to grow on me, I didn't like that song at all when I first listened to the album.

Chino's the king of using the "wrong" notes in a way that somehow works, but that song is the one time it just didn't.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #158 on: November 08, 2015, 10:45:32 AM »
I honestly love every song on White Pony.

The self-titled was a great album, but disappointing if you go in expecting White Pony. But I really like it.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #159 on: November 10, 2015, 08:20:47 AM »
Oh awesome, not sure if this was long ago, but Deftones have been announced to play at Rock Am Ring 2016, probably going there.

Offline mrtruthless

« Reply #160 on: November 10, 2015, 09:39:55 AM »
I honestly love every song on White Pony.

The self-titled was a great album, but disappointing if you go in expecting White Pony. But I really like it.

I like all of their other records each in their own way, but White Pony is a permanent for all time top 3 album.
I hate catchphrases - Me

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #161 on: November 14, 2015, 07:27:07 AM »
https://www.fuse.tv/2015/11/deftones-paris-terrorist-attack-15-minutes

Damn, I had no idea they were even there. So happy to hear they made it out ok. Such a tragedy

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #162 on: November 14, 2015, 09:02:33 AM »
https://www.fuse.tv/2015/11/deftones-paris-terrorist-attack-15-minutes

Damn, I had no idea they were even there. So happy to hear they made it out ok. Such a tragedy

Wow. Talk about being lucky.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #163 on: November 14, 2015, 09:19:29 AM »
Dodged a bullet there, wow.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #164 on: November 14, 2015, 09:21:53 AM »

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #165 on: January 07, 2016, 03:42:16 PM »
Biked a few hours ago with Spotify on shuffle, rain pooring harder than ever. Suddenly Rocket Skates comes up on shuffle. Chino, don't fucking tell me I'm soakong wet, I know it..  :'(.

Bump to remind y'all how awesome Rocket Skates, and Diamond Eyes as a whole is.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #166 on: January 07, 2016, 04:24:40 PM »
No reminders needed here, that is one kick ass album. I really like that even though Saturday Night Wrist is my favorite, since it came out I've seen each album as really close to being my favorite and it hasn't stopped yet. They're all pretty much in line for number 1. I can't wait to hear some new stuff from the guys.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #167 on: January 07, 2016, 04:33:39 PM »

Bump to remind y'all how awesome Rocket Skates, and Diamond Eyes as a whole is.

Might be my least favourite off the album actually, just doesn't have anything that memorable tbh.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #168 on: January 07, 2016, 04:40:54 PM »
Dang, personally love it, funny how we perceive things..  :eek

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #169 on: January 07, 2016, 05:17:04 PM »
I felt the exact same way when it first came out. Nothing was memorable and while I didn't hate it, I didn't listen to it for the longest time and thought it was very lackluster and even a bit boring and samey. But it just clicked one day, I think around the time that Koi was about to release actually. Then again that's not uncommon for me... a lot of my favorite bands and albums I initially disliked and then randomly loved the hell out of and it stuck; quite odd...

RIP DTP.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #170 on: January 08, 2016, 06:10:34 AM »
Yeah, that's how it goes for me aswell, for the most part. But with Rocket Skates, there's not really much to get for me personally, it's just a heavy-ass tune and I like it just for that reason, no thought behind it whatsoever.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #171 on: January 24, 2016, 11:33:44 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE0JJnHXP60

Might be just Steph being stoned as usual, but if he's not trolling we know when the new album is gonna hit us.  :metal

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #172 on: January 24, 2016, 11:38:20 AM »
Awesome! I would be shocked if he would just come up with a random date so I bet it's a legit date.  :hat

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #173 on: January 24, 2016, 12:02:00 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal

RIP DTP.

Offline krands85

« Reply #174 on: February 04, 2016, 01:18:47 PM »
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww