Author Topic: The return of the 'Evening With' format  (Read 47857 times)

Offline Shadow2222

Re: When will Dream Theater return to the 'Evening With' format?
« Reply #245 on: April 23, 2012, 06:06:28 PM »
^ Was just about to hit reply with nearly the same messge  :lol

ResultsMayVary is absolutely correct, so don't worry about not seeing DT, as you will see plenty.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline mallorier

• Blissciple
« Reply #246 on: May 03, 2012, 11:47:12 AM »
The Evening With format will magically return for the show at the Warfield in San Fran on 07.01.12 wheb they tape the show for a dvd...

...hey, a girl can dream right?  :lol In all seriousness, I would really like to see this happen again! I would pay a lot of money and do unspeakable things to see and Evening With show

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #247 on: July 15, 2012, 04:17:56 AM »
Wow, what a great show.  M&G was awesome.  I asked JP about an "Evening With" tour and he said they get a lot of requests for that and will do that next year.  My son and I had front row center seats.  It was just awesome.  Highlights for me were TDEN, JR and JP intro to TSCO, but especially just watching MM on drums.  His expressions and sheer joy in playing are something to see!! 

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #248 on: July 15, 2012, 04:32:06 AM »
:2metal:

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #249 on: July 15, 2012, 08:59:02 AM »
That's great to see. I'm excited! :metal
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #250 on: July 15, 2012, 11:00:49 PM »
next year? or next album cycle? maybe a few one-off evening with shows between albums? \m/

Offline Major Thirteenth

• He has his father's eyes... Gomez, take those out of his mouth.
« Reply #251 on: July 15, 2012, 11:25:41 PM »
The Evening With format will magically return for the show at the Warfield in San Fran on 07.01.12 wheb they tape the show for a dvd...

...hey, a girl can dream right?  :lol In all seriousness, I would really like to see this happen again! I would pay a lot of money and do unspeakable things to see and Evening With show

When I see the energy expended by the band in the current format, I consider myself lucky to get an honest 2 hour show. The level that they play at is probably in the 5% percentile of all bands. How is it that James has any voice at all after doing 20 of these shows in a month? It's sick! Same with the others. Also, they are not 20 anymore and neither are most of us. A 3 hour show would be superfluous. How many notes can I ingest in one night? A 2 hour DT show is evening enough for me. Especially since I usually attend 3 or 4 shows on each tour.

Besides, proper concert protocol is to tailgate in the parking lot or stop at a restaurant, hang out, enjoy the show, get breakfast after the show. You can easily spend 8 or 9 hours doing the whole thing. That's enough entertainment for me. A 3.5 hour show is too damned long.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #252 on: July 16, 2012, 06:00:21 AM »

When I see the energy expended by the band in the current format, I consider myself lucky to get an honest 2 hour show. The level that they play at is probably in the 5% percentile of all bands. How is it that James has any voice at all after doing 20 of these shows in a month? It's sick! Same with the others. Also, they are not 20 anymore and neither are most of us. A 3 hour show would be superfluous. How many notes can I ingest in one night? A 2 hour DT show is evening enough for me. Especially since I usually attend 3 or 4 shows on each tour.

Besides, proper concert protocol is to tailgate in the parking lot or stop at a restaurant, hang out, enjoy the show, get breakfast after the show. You can easily spend 8 or 9 hours doing the whole thing. That's enough entertainment for me. A 3.5 hour show is too damned long.
M13, good to see you posting again.

I'd happily trade the tailgaiting and breakfast for an extra hour of DT!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #253 on: July 16, 2012, 11:16:05 AM »
next year? or next album cycle? maybe a few one-off evening with shows between albums? \m/
Since they will have a new album being released next year, that definitely means the next album cycle.

Offline FrostbiteZ

« Reply #254 on: July 16, 2012, 02:47:21 PM »
Wow, what a great show.  M&G was awesome.  I asked JP about an "Evening With" tour and he said they get a lot of requests for that and will do that next year.  My son and I had front row center seats.  It was just awesome.  Highlights for me were TDEN, JR and JP intro to TSCO, but especially just watching MM on drums.  His expressions and sheer joy in playing are something to see!! 

That would be sweet :tup
I had m&g ticket in london earlier this year and I asked JP if the they where considering some sort of SFAM anniversary tour and I he said that they were indeed considering this and that it might come sooner then expected. Imagine an Evening With that would include the whole SFAM. That would be so fucking epic.
Think I have to start saving for an upcoming tour :metal

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #255 on: July 16, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »

That would be sweet :tup
I had m&g ticket in london earlier this year and I asked JP if the they where considering some sort of SFAM anniversary tour and I he said that they were indeed considering this and that it might come sooner then expected. Imagine an Evening With that would include the whole SFAM. That would be so fucking epic.
Think I have to start saving for an upcoming tour :metal
Dear God, that would be beautiful. Especially for all the new fans post-1999 who haven't gotten a chance to witness that entire masterpiece being played live.

EDIT: I'd also would expect this to happen until at least 2014 for the 15th year anniversary, but I think it would be more appropriate towards the end of the decade for the 20th anniversary.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: July 16, 2012, 03:40:47 PM »
True, but they should carpe diem. James's voice won't last forever.

Offline Bytor62

« Reply #257 on: July 16, 2012, 05:04:58 PM »

I didn't ask him this specifically but I assume both...since they are writing now for their next album, I hope it would be as they tour next year for the new album.  And a full SFAM set would be awesome!!

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #258 on: July 16, 2012, 05:08:14 PM »

I didn't ask him this specifically but I assume both...since they are writing now for their next album, I hope it would be as they tour next year for the new album.  And a full SFAM set would be awesome!!
They said they plan on hitting the studio in at least January. If they hold to that pattern, they should spend less time overall in the studio since they have begun writing before entering the studio. So we can probably expect the new album out before September of 2013.

Offline Pockets17red

• Unofficially Official Prog Archivist
  • If you don't like it, right up yours!
« Reply #259 on: July 16, 2012, 06:08:39 PM »
:hefdaddy

Edit: If they ever do a tour where they play SFAM in its entirety, do you know how many shows I would go to? I can just imagine how many hundreds of dollars spent on gas, tickets, and food but it would be SOOOOOOOOOOO worth it!!! :metal :metal :metal :metal
Keep on turning, Keep on turning, Turning around, Spinning around, round, round, round, round, round, round, round, round...

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #260 on: July 16, 2012, 06:33:06 PM »
I don't care what they play, if I get to attend an "Evening With" it will be the best!

Offline ibosmiley

« Reply #261 on: July 18, 2012, 02:57:16 PM »
For as odd as it may sound, I think I'd rather see them use the extra time an "evening with" show provides to pull out more songs they don't often play rather than an album straight through.
"Are you listening to the words I say.  In the meadows my thoughts dance and play.  I know now I'm the only one.  Who can convince the rising sun"

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #262 on: July 23, 2012, 11:56:25 AM »
For as odd as it may sound, I think I'd rather see them use the extra time an "evening with" show provides to pull out more songs they don't often play rather than an album straight through.

I'd agree for every other album except SFAM. That's one that I'd love to see all the way through.

Offline Millais

« Reply #263 on: July 25, 2012, 04:17:09 PM »
I asked JP if the they where considering some sort of SFAM anniversary tour and I he said that they were indeed considering this and that it might come sooner then expected. Imagine an Evening With that would include the whole SFAM. That would be so fucking epic.

Wow. I never got the chance to see this album being played live. One can dream - this would just be absolutely insane - a full evening of SFAM is a perfect evening for me.  ;D

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #264 on: June 24, 2013, 08:39:08 AM »
From Symphonic Theater Of Dreams fb:

"An Evening With" is back! It will be amazing tour. Long concerts with new CD!
We are waiting for Dream Theater in Poland. Thanks for our label Rock Serwis for inviting the band to our country.

Ed Hughes I thought they scrapped the "Evening With..." concerts a while ago. Don't think they'll go back to it either, though I would love it if they did. Proof?
Symphonic Theater of Dreams Hello Ed Hughes
It is information from our label. They`ve invited Dream Theater band so they know details of event

Not an official information but very likely! :CJS:

Offline FrostbiteZ

« Reply #265 on: June 24, 2013, 02:34:49 PM »
Found this quote on www.rockserwis.pl
Of course, as always, in the wake of the album release will move a giant world tour. Poland has once again successfully find the route of its course. February 5, 2014 The team will visit Katowice "Spodek". Will visit again in the formula "An Evening with" which means that we can expect a nearly three-hour concert without any support frame. Let the magic back!
https://translate.google.dk/translate?hl=da&sl=pl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rockserwis.pl%2Fserwis.do%3Fmenu%3Dmain%26pid%3D151080%26cat%3D16%26mcat%3D16%26l%3D1

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #266 on: June 24, 2013, 02:41:46 PM »
Well, evidence from many seemingly indipendent sources. This is shaping up to become proof  ::)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #267 on: June 24, 2013, 03:07:55 PM »
God I hope so. A Change of Seasons please.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #268 on: June 24, 2013, 03:08:55 PM »
I would love to not have any opening acts at all. From what it sounds like, that might just happen.

If I pay a ticket for Dream Theater, I probably only want to listen to Dream Theater.

Also I want my first DT concert to only be DT, and lots of it  :2metal:

Octavarium, Trial of Tears, Stream of Consciousness, Breaking All Illusions, etc etc.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #269 on: June 24, 2013, 03:11:10 PM »
It would certainly make the high ticket prices easier to swallow if it is Evening With.

Online krands85

« Reply #270 on: June 24, 2013, 03:49:57 PM »
I'd be gutted personally if they returned to that format for this tour - given that they're skipping Glasgow this time around. Of course, it would be great for everyone else who is able to see them, but I've only seen them twice and neither were 'Evening With' shows, just 90 minutes at Prog Nation 09 and 2hours on the ADTOE tour.

If it does happen though, it might be the thing that tempts me to travel down to England on my own and see them in Wolverhampton or Manchester! :p
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #271 on: June 25, 2013, 02:30:58 AM »
Got this email today:

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #272 on: June 25, 2013, 08:06:16 AM »
:jawdrop:
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #273 on: June 25, 2013, 09:21:10 AM »
Oh man oh man oh man oh man. Please keep the "Evening With..." format for the US leg. I thought I would never ever get to see a DT Evening With tour!

The possibilities are endless. Maybe this album is a concept album (I doubt it), or maybe they will play SFAM all the way through, or they might even throw A Change of Seasons or Octavarium back in!
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #274 on: June 25, 2013, 09:23:34 AM »
My guess:
I was thinking... The new album is self-titled, so I'm pretty sure it won't have a storyline (luckily!), but maybe it will flow like SFAM and Octavarium and have a certain continuity? That would explain the inclusion of an intro track and also make a full performance reasonable. JP said the "evening with" format works best when they play some album in full ;)

I know this is all speculation, but it's interesting to think about. I just have to hope the new album will be really good if they play it in full!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: June 25, 2013, 09:26:48 AM »
So, first set: New album. Second set: old albums. Encores: timeless masterpieces.
- Marco

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: June 25, 2013, 10:19:57 AM »
I would not bet on it yet, since i would expect an official statement if they plan "An evening with... tour".

But PLEASE, PROVE ME WRONG!

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #277 on: June 25, 2013, 11:45:37 AM »
Well the evidence is very much in favour of it being An Evening With, but you're right, I won't count my chickens just yet.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: June 25, 2013, 11:55:02 AM »
Well the evidence is very much in favour of it being An Evening With, but you're right, I won't count my chickens just yet.

Yeah... "don't say cat if it's not in the sack"  :D
- Marco

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: June 25, 2013, 12:02:04 PM »
Sorry guys, i should have wrote this before: JP confirmed to the former DT italian fan club coordinator that the tour is going to be "An Evening With". As for now we don't know if this would turn out in a 3 1/2 hour concert or less, but this is what he wrote to this guy.