Author Topic: The return of the 'Evening With' format  (Read 47847 times)

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Next DT Tour Will Be "An Evening With Dream Theater"
« Reply #210 on: December 24, 2010, 01:16:24 PM »
Yeah, I couldn't see Prog Nation happening if MP wasn't in the headliner.

And what do you mean the bands'd have to play smaller venues? Wouldn't the opening bands draw even more fans?

Well, it depends who the bands are. Lesser known bands wouldn't draw as many people, so they might stick to smaller venues... hypothetically of course. :D
Oh, I misunderstood your post, I thought you meant that the bands would play smaller venues while headlining PN than than when they play a standard gig.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #211 on: December 27, 2010, 10:42:26 AM »
So how likely is this to happen now?

To be honest, it's really impossible to tell. Obviously most people here would like for it to happen, but we haven't had any indication one way or the other since Portnoy left.

Pretty much this.  I don't recall specifics as to who said what or specifically what was said, but my vague recollection is that JP seemed pretty much in favor of it.  And James seemed both to like the idea for both the fans' sake and for the sake of being able to play more songs, but also hesitant because the longer shows impact him as a vocalist more than any other member.  Not sure how Jordan and JM feel about it, so it's hard to say now that MP, who was an advocate of eventually going back to that format, is no longer in the voting equation.  My guess is that the band is probably generally in favor of it eventually happening, but will not push nearly as hard as Mike would have if there is any kind of pushback from the label.  So if the label isn't onboard with an "evening with" format, it very well might not happen.  Still, my gut tells me that while it may not happen this next tour, it'll happen at some point in time, even if it ends up being only select dates on future tours rather than an official "evening with" tour. 

Another layer and some more opinion:  Subjectively, I think the best and most likely way for it to happen on the next tour cycle is something like this:  I think, #1, DT has to put out an album that has at least a couple of songs that will have a fair amount of mass appeal.  Given the recent controversy involving MP leaving, the spotlight is back on DT.  And this is a good thing.  The Iron Maiden tour was great exposure, and was much needed given that they didn't tour extensively in support of BCSL (and, no, I'm still not counting a "PN" tour as an album-support tour; those are two very different things in the marketing world).  In terms of exposure and momentum, I still think they took a "net loss" for not doing a U.S. BCSL tour.  However, I think it is a small loss given the exposure from the IM tour and the spotlight being shone on them for MP leaving.  Whether the latter is a good thing or a bad thing in terms of albums and concert tickets sold is still up for debate, IMO.  But I think that while they will definitely lose some people who write the band off simply because MP isn't in it, the exposure is still probably good, and just having the DT name in front of people is an overall positive.  So as step #1, I think they will probably have to put out an album that the label likes and that generates some commercial interest.  I'm not saying they need to have it go gold, because that probably will not happen and isn't a realistic expectation.  But I think given DT's musical niche, BCSL's sales and exposure are generally considered to be a success, and that is the level of success I am talking about.

Second, I think they will have to demonstrate some success in selling seats in early legs of the tour.  They don't want to over-tour, but I think they should do some scaled-back shorter tour legs, whether it be hitting the festivals, doing some other shorter legs with other bands, or whatever.  And if the fan support is at an acceptable level (whatever that is), I think the label and the band could then greenlight a full-on evening with tour.  But make no mistake, whether or not the reality is that the band will be just fine without Mike, losing a key, high-profile member creates uncertainty in the public eye and in the industry, so I think they have to go through both of the above steps to settle a lot of that uncertainty in the minds of those who are in a position to make decisions about the tour.  That's my $.02 anyway.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #212 on: December 27, 2010, 11:46:19 AM »
Great post. And to your point on the early legs, because there wasn't as much touring or non-PN touring for BCSL, I'm sure there are quite a few fans who are waiting to see DT come the new album. Which may result in bigger sales overall.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #213 on: December 27, 2010, 12:12:44 PM »
How big were the venues that Dream Theater played on their most recent evening with tour? I know MikePortnoy.com has DT's whole tourography but if someone knows off the top of their head I'd rather not look.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #214 on: December 28, 2010, 05:24:29 AM »
In Europe, they played large theatres, for example the Hammersmith Apollo in London took about 5,000 I think. But their profile has been much enlarged since 2005.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #215 on: December 28, 2010, 06:33:13 PM »
Opeth could easily headline ProgNation. That would be Mike's best option for keeping it alive.

On the subject of Evening With's: I'd assume that they're picking a drummer with enough stamina to handle a 3 hour show. It would be silly of them not to, given their tradition of playing shows like that.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #216 on: December 28, 2010, 06:54:38 PM »
Opeth could easily headline ProgNation. That would be Mike's best option for keeping it alive.
You just reminded me to watch In Live Concert At The Royal Albert Hall tonight.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #217 on: December 30, 2010, 12:14:42 AM »
It'll likely be an opportunity to play the 12 steps live.

IDK, wouldn't that be a real slap in MP's face, to play the whole thing RIGHT AFTER he leaves?

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #218 on: December 30, 2010, 12:17:24 AM »
It'll likely be an opportunity to play the 12 steps live.

IDK, wouldn't that be a real slap in MP's face, to play the whole thing RIGHT AFTER he leaves?
That post was from almost a year ago when Mike Portnoy was still in the band. ;)

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #219 on: December 30, 2010, 12:18:03 AM »
Scratch my last, didn't know this was an old thread  :loser:

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #220 on: December 30, 2010, 12:19:00 AM »
No worries. :laugh:

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #221 on: January 01, 2011, 11:39:47 PM »
It's going to be interesting to see what the setlists look like from now on since MP was in charge of them.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #222 on: January 02, 2011, 12:30:12 AM »
Hopefully they don't give up that responsibility and play the same set every night on the tour

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #223 on: January 02, 2011, 02:50:28 AM »
I highly doubt they'll do that. They'll have maybe 4 rotating setlists.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: January 02, 2011, 06:35:09 AM »
How big were the venues that Dream Theater played on their most recent evening with tour? I know MikePortnoy.com has DT's whole tourography but if someone knows off the top of their head I'd rather not look.

Last Evening with tour in NJ was the paramount theater in Asbury Park  seating 1600
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #225 on: January 02, 2011, 10:47:08 AM »

Last Evening with tour in NJ was the paramount theater in Asbury Park  seating 1600
Wow... I'm a bit surprised, I thought they'd play slightly bigger venues. Maybe that's the only venue they could get in that area, I dunno, but if they came to New York I hope they play the Beacon Theatre... possibly my favorite venue, seating only three-thousand (as opposed to the Chevrolet Theatre seating five-thousand during Progressive Nation 2009.

ALSO... don't quote me on this (inb4 inevitable quote), but I'm hearing from a friend that has connections that Anthrax and Dream Theater may be trying to work some things out for a tour. AGAIN, don't give any credit to this, because it may have just been an idea between the bands, or may have tried to come into existence, but since has been cancelled, or is maybe still in their minds for the future.
Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #226 on: January 02, 2011, 06:59:07 PM »
Interesting touring partners if that were true. Seems unlikely to me though, the two bands are surely just a bit too different.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #227 on: January 02, 2011, 10:03:47 PM »
That's what I thought too. Then again, the idea may be long gone and will never happen.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #228 on: January 03, 2011, 09:46:51 AM »
Interesting touring partners if that were true. Seems unlikely to me though, the two bands are surely just a bit too different.

Not really.  They did actually tour together on Gigantour.  And DT has toured with a pretty wide variety of metal bands, from thrash bands like Anthrax and Megadeth, to NWOBHM bands like Maiden, to Death Metal bands (albeit, by their own definition, "melodic progressive death metal") like Into Eternity.  Doesn't seem like TOO big a stretch.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #229 on: January 03, 2011, 06:46:27 PM »
Yeah, but they haven't had a purely thrash band as their only support act. Into Eternity at least had some progressive elements to them, and Gigantour was made up of several bands, so it was hardly the same situation.

Anyway, I'd be surprised if such a tour took place.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #230 on: January 05, 2011, 05:38:03 AM »
I'm not sure I'd refer to Anthrax as a thrash band..then or now.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #231 on: January 05, 2011, 09:52:51 AM »
Anthrax was certainly a thrash band. They moved toward straight metal with John Bush, but at the core, they were a thrash band.

re: Queensryche and ProgNation - NO WAY they could headline with the current lineup. In some areas on the last tour, promoters had to give away hundreds of tickets just to put bodies in there.

re: ProgNation as a whole -- would love for it to continue, but not include DT for awhile.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #232 on: January 05, 2011, 02:02:23 PM »
Not really.  They did actually tour together on Gigantour.

Not quite. Anthrax replaced Dream Theater for the last few shows on that tour.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #233 on: January 05, 2011, 07:13:45 PM »
Not really.  They did actually tour together on Gigantour.

Not quite. Anthrax replaced Dream Theater for the last few shows on that tour.
As far as I know, both of them played at at least one show.

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #234 on: January 19, 2011, 06:39:07 AM »
https://www.bigmusicgeek.com/JamesLaBrie1.html

Todd: When the group once again begins touring, are there plans to continue with the An Evening With format?

James: “It’s definitely something we’re going to talk about, but I think it’s a bit premature to answer something like that.  It’s something we’re going to entertain or at least discuss.  It’s definitely a conversation that needs to be had.  And if we don’t go ahead and do An Evening With, I think we would have only one opening act and then do a two hour or two hour plus set.  …That’s what our fans want and we know that.  Our fans are coming to our shows to see Dream Theater and they want to see a lot, so we’re going to do as much as we’re comfortable doing.  I know that eventually and inevitably the idea for An Evening With will come up again.  Is it something that’s going to happen on the next tour?  I don’t honestly know.  Rest assured, it’s a conversation we will have.  We’ll be talking about it again once we begin recording.  Those types of topics always come up.”

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #235 on: January 19, 2011, 06:55:24 AM »
It's funny how a 90-100 minute sets feels so incomplete!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #236 on: January 19, 2011, 02:07:52 PM »
Hey, I'll be happy with a 2+ hour set.

That's good news

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: January 19, 2011, 02:44:51 PM »

That's good news

+1
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #238 on: January 19, 2011, 04:14:47 PM »

That's good news
This. In fact, if they put on a kickass opening act (it'd probably have to be a band that would be capable of co-headlining though), it may attract me more than an evening with Dream Theater (which is a tremendous attraction). Also, if they do an evening with tour, and they play the Beacon Theatre, I will be ecstatic.

Offline LTE3

« Reply #239 on: January 24, 2011, 11:23:55 AM »
God I hope so, I think Mike lost his way a little focusing so much on introducing us to these other bands that he lost sight of why most of us are there. To see DT of course. They need to get back on the Evening with horse so they can start playing more of the songs we all want to hear. Home, Glass Prison, Learning to live, Scarred, A change of Seasons. Lets get back to at least 2 3/4 hours. That is like the miniumum they used to play and why they were so amazing live. I know they are getting older now but Rush still play at least 2 1/2 hours and they have the guys by 10 years
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline LTE3

« Reply #240 on: January 24, 2011, 11:27:14 AM »
For the last few years is has seemed like Mike Portnoy the concert promoter, and oh by the way DT will also play a few tunes.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #241 on: January 13, 2012, 05:34:41 PM »
So the Evening With didn't materialise for this tour. I wonder if we might see a one-off, though, if they do shoot a dvd this year.

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #242 on: January 16, 2012, 06:29:51 PM »
Bumping this thread was a mean, mean thing to do.

..... I say as I bump the thread again....

Offline lsuber

Re: When will Dream Theater return to the 'Evening With' format?
« Reply #243 on: April 23, 2012, 06:03:07 PM »
What is the likely format of the upcoming North American concert tour going to be? A mostly DT show, with a few songs by the opening act? Or something more like the Progressive Nation tour from a few years ago? A fiend and I went to that show where Opeth, Between The Buried And Me, and one other band (Three, I think?) played, and we left feeling like we really hadn't seen much of DT. Which was the only reason we went. Will this show be more of them this time around??

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
Re: When will Dream Theater return to the 'Evening With' format?
« Reply #244 on: April 23, 2012, 06:05:07 PM »
The opening act will play somewhere in the ballpark of 30-45 minutes and then Dream Theater will play between 2-2.5 hours.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies