Author Topic: Epica appreciation thread  (Read 61878 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Epica appreciation thread
« Reply #350 on: May 03, 2017, 08:32:06 PM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #351 on: May 04, 2017, 10:04:08 AM »
I somehow doubt we're getting that kind of stage show haha, but that would be epic.....................a.

They are advertising it as the full stage show this tour for "The Ultimate Principle" so I expect that.  The venue in NYC has a much bigger stage than the one's they played in last two tours as well. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #352 on: May 04, 2017, 04:00:20 PM »
The theater they are playing in my area is pretty big and pretty nice too, so I would hope we'd be getting something like that.

I look forward to seeing Lacuna Coil open as well.  They are a fun live band.  Their latest album does leave me a little cold, though.  I liked it well enough when it came out, but it has faded pretty far.  There are a few songs I enjoy (primarily, the title track, Blood, Tears, Dust, and Take Me Home).  But I find myself losing interest pretty quickly in most of it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 04:29:33 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: May 05, 2017, 07:49:03 AM »
I don't think I've ever really given them much of a listen, but I expect to dig in before the concert so I know the music.  They seem like a band I should like.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #354 on: May 19, 2017, 07:36:24 PM »
The current lineup is easily my favorite.

Coen and Mark are the only two members left from the very beginning.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 08:03:45 PM by Prog Snob »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #355 on: May 19, 2017, 08:09:15 PM »
I was just noticing something else. The Phantom Agony came out in 2003 when Simone was just 18. Figure she was 17 when they were working on the album. She had that beautiful operatic voice at such a young age. Phenomenal!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: June 23, 2017, 08:10:46 AM »
We are proud to present to you our brand new animated Music Video for our single "The Solace System"! The song is taken off our upcoming EP "The Solace System", which will be released on September 1st through Nuclear Blast worldwide!
Pre-order NOW your preferred format of the EP and new merchandise through: www.epica.nl/the-solace-system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isx0fjTxUwc

Hell yea!  More new Epica music!  5 more tracks to come!  :metal :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: September 21, 2017, 05:17:53 PM »
Finally got around to getting The Solace System and it's fantastic.  6 leftover tracks from The Holographic Principle (which I find to be Epica's best album) so while it took me awhile to finally get this and listen, I was definitely highly anticipating it.  Being the end of their tour is coming up (I'll be at the final show in NYC) I am getting back into the Epica mood.  They are playing a song from this album, Wheel of Destiny, and Simone sings much lower on this song than anything I can recall from her before.  It actually works.  I think fans of old school Epica won't like it, but it sounds good and the song is really solid.  I also really enjoy Decoded Poetry.  Really good stuff, again, from Epica.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #358 on: September 21, 2017, 05:37:48 PM »
Thanks for reminding me about the Solace System cram, it sounds like a good listen. I'll try to pick it up with Holographic Principle. I haven't listened to this band in a long time - found Quantum Enigma a while ago at a store and bought it impulsively but have never listened to it. Design Your Universe is my favorite album, even have it signed by them. Their albums are so dense I find it almost impossible to differentiate most songs from each other but they're always intense and interesting to listen to. I just wish there were more songs like Unleashed, Burn To A Cinder, etc. - those catchier but still intense songs really kick some ass imo.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: September 21, 2017, 05:49:28 PM »
Thanks for reminding me about the Solace System cram, it sounds like a good listen. I'll try to pick it up with Holographic Principle. I haven't listened to this band in a long time - found Quantum Enigma a while ago at a store and bought it impulsively but have never listened to it. Design Your Universe is my favorite album, even have it signed by them. Their albums are so dense I find it almost impossible to differentiate most songs from each other but they're always intense and interesting to listen to. I just wish there were more songs like Unleashed, Burn To A Cinder, etc. - those catchier but still intense songs really kick some ass imo.

I'd recommend checking out the single from the Holographic Principle, Edge of the Blade, which is similar to the songs you mention https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_QLQHkj1XU

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: October 02, 2017, 09:33:37 PM »
So last Friday was the final concert of the Epica and Lacuna Coil NA tour.  This was an amazing concert.  Definitely a highlight of the year for me (25+ concerts attended this year) and not just because of the bands, but because of the uniqueness of the event. 

As the tour has gone on, Cristina Scabbia of Lacuna Coil had started joining Simone on stage for Storm the Sorrow.  So I expected this to happen this evening, but given it being the last show of the tour, I thought it was possible for something else unique happening.  Well, as I was grabbing a drink after Lacuna Coil just finished spellbound, I noticed on the TVs in the lobby (btw Playstation Theater is one of my favorite venues) that Simone had just come on stage.  Of course I bolted, literally I ran, as did others, to see.  Simone performed Heaven's A Lie with Lacuna Coil and it was quite awesome.  I've seen some people say youtube videos that Simone didn't sound well on this song, but I didn't notice, she sounded fine and the whole song was just amazing.  I follow Simone and Cristina on twitter so I know those two are good friends and it was clear as they sung together. 

Then things got really interesting.  Lacuna Coil afterwards had technical difficulties, not exactly sure what was wrong, but that's what Cristina said over the mic.  So while they were figuring things out, Cristina figured she would entertain the crowd.  She got the crowd worked up and then sang ACDC's Highway to Hell by herself.  She was amazing.  She sounded so good, I was blown away.  She sang two verses and then gave the mic to a guy in the crowd who sang a guitar solo, he also NAILED it.  They got things going after and finished their set. 

Now it was time for Epica.  This was my third year in a row seeing them, the setlist wasn't too different between the last two years, but a few sprinkles.  They played Wheel of Destiny which was the only song from The Solace System performed.  A really awesome song.  Also got Reverence from the Quantum Enigma which I hadn't seen before.  Then Mark says since it is NYC, they were playing one extra song and played Victims of Contingency.  They did Storm the Sorrow with Cristina, which was also really amazing just like seeing them sing together earlier in the evening. 

Then for the encore, they had their crew come out to dance and mess around on stage with them.  Just a fun and let loose moment for the final songs of the tour.  But you can just see how much fun everyone is having on stage.  They even did their own wall of death on stage as the crowd did one for the intro of Consign to Oblivion.  I don't think I've seen a show with so much spontaneity and uniqueness as this one (well probably doesn't top Bruce Dickinson stripping at the end of their tour in Brooklyn) with so many different moments. 

I got a lot of this for my youtube, here's the same video but timestamped for the different events:

https://youtu.be/AGEkdNS9vfM?t=2m7s Simone singing with Lacuna Coil
https://youtu.be/AGEkdNS9vfM?t=20m51s Cristina singing with Epica
https://youtu.be/AGEkdNS9vfM?t=31m31s Crew having fun on stage during Beyond the Matrix
https://youtu.be/AGEkdNS9vfM?t=34m46s Wall of Death

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #361 on: March 28, 2018, 01:42:00 PM »
I am realizing that I like Epica's live sound a LOT more than their studio sound.  Here's hoping they do a live release from this tour.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: March 28, 2018, 01:48:11 PM »
I did eventually check out Solace System and Holographic Principle but man, they sound just like Quantum Enigma, which sounded just like Requiem, which sounded just like... you see where I'm going.

Their live show is really, really good though. Extremely tight band. I really wish they'd try something radically different and throw some curveballs every once in a while, though. I feel like I've never really been surprised by this group despite the talent on display. Something about the politically-themed songs has never resonated with me either, except maybe Burn To A Cinder (if that counts).
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: March 28, 2018, 01:56:53 PM »
I am realizing that I like Epica's live sound a LOT more than their studio sound.  Here's hoping they do a live release from this tour.

I'd love for another live release from them, they are a great live band and have a great live sound like you say.  There's a handful more gigs on the tour including festivals like Wacken that are sure to turn up some high quality live stuff on youtube.  But they do have their one big show in their home country to celebrate their 1000th show.  If anything gets recorded for live release, I could see that show being it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: July 22, 2018, 08:34:13 AM »
I didn't follow this release closely since I just realized it's even a thing, but Epica released an EP of cover songs from the Japanese anime series "Attack on Titan" which I had never heard of, but listening to these songs on youtube and damn, how did I miss this?  Sounds like pretty awesome Epica with maybe some different style of vocals and some more musical spots that sound like it belongs with Anime, but honestly, really awesome and well done.  I found out because I stumbled upon this

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/epicas-simone-simons-says-attack-on-titan-ep-was-a-little-out-of-our-comfort-zone/

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #365 on: October 26, 2018, 02:26:07 PM »
Performing a little thread necromancy to say that they've dropped their collaboration with Metropole Orkest, a re-done version of Beyond the Matrix from The Holographic Principle and...it's a hot mess. It's all over the place.

Listen for yourself.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: October 26, 2018, 02:33:56 PM »
Yea, I listened to that this morning and was really not into it.  Especially the part where it's just the orchestra and Mark's vocals  :lol Really not interested in ever hearing that again, the original song is 10000 times better.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #367 on: October 26, 2018, 02:57:35 PM »
Wow, that was really cool.  That's one of the things I like about them--when they do a different version of a song, it is truly something creative and different from the original.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: July 17, 2019, 08:29:52 AM »
EPICA announce the release of Design Your Universe - Gold Edition –

Dutch Metal titans we are celebrating the 10th anniversary of our milestone album ‘Design Your Universe”. To mark this special occasion, EPICA will be re-releasing this fan-favorite album as a Gold Edition on October 4th through Nuclear Blast. This edition will contain the album remixed and remastered by Joost van den Broek with updated artwork and a 2nd disc containing newly-recorded acoustic versions of DYU songs.

Design Your Universe will be re-released as a 2-CD version and a digital version. Next to that the acoustic songs will be released as a separate Picture Disc.

Oh sweet, another bonus disc of acoustic versions of their songs seems really awesome since the last few times they did that those songs came out so damn good and interesting.  Looking forward to this now :yarr

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #369 on: July 17, 2019, 08:47:53 AM »
That's kind of surprising, since the album isn't that old.  But I think the production did sound really flat, so a remix alone is tempting.  I really enjoy their acoustic interpretations of their songs, but I wish they gave us a new song or two.  I'm really wanting some new Epica.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: July 17, 2019, 09:10:38 AM »
I think we will get new music in 2020, and you are right, that original mix is a bit flat so maybe the remix is worthwhile.  I know you loved those acoustic tracks before so I figured you'd be interested. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: August 09, 2019, 02:22:18 PM »
They announced a few shows this January

Got my ticket for NYC just now.  Looking forward to this likely first show of 2019 for me  :metal :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: August 09, 2019, 02:25:45 PM »
Aw seriously? No Chicago? DYU is my favorite Epica album and was the first (and so far only) Epica show I've been to. Man...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: August 09, 2019, 02:31:25 PM »
Aw seriously? No Chicago? DYU is my favorite Epica album and was the first (and so far only) Epica show I've been to. Man...

Yea, sounds like this is it which is kind of odd.  I'm so grateful to be close to NYC, its rare the city gets skipped on anything.  Also they just re-opened Webster Hall so I'm curious what its like now.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: August 09, 2019, 02:33:01 PM »

Yea, sounds like this is it which is kind of odd.  I'm so grateful to be close to NYC, its rare the city gets skipped on anything.  Also they just re-opened Webster Hall so I'm curious what its like now.

I envy you city slickers, but I'd lose my mind if I had to stay in a city any longer than is required for a show/event.  :lol Just like when Avantasia hit the coasts and Canada, guess I'll deal with it!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: August 09, 2019, 02:38:27 PM »
I live in the burbs, I couldn't do the city life myself.  NYC is an hour train ride from my house or a 15 minute (depends on traffic) drive from work.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: August 09, 2019, 02:39:42 PM »
Ahhh that's even better. Nice.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #377 on: August 09, 2019, 05:36:20 PM »
A show in Montreal on 1/3 followed by a show in Los Angeles on 1/5?  And then back to NYC a week later?  That's a rather odd schedule.

And if the LA show weren't on my kid's birthday, I might consider going to it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: August 09, 2019, 05:44:25 PM »
A show in Montreal on 1/3 followed by a show in Los Angeles on 1/5?  And then back to NYC a week later?  That's a rather odd schedule.

And if the LA show weren't on my kid's birthday, I might consider going to it.

and a week off between LA and NYC, I don't get it either.  Maybe there is more to this or something else they are doing while in NA. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: January 13, 2020, 01:21:02 PM »
With regards to the above, the week in between LA and NYC was meant for the 70k tons of metal cruise

Anyway, last night was the final show of the Design Your Universe tour in New York City.  What an awesome concert.  The band sounded so tight.  I thought maybe Simone wouldn't be 100% as her recent blog said she was sickly during the cruise.  But wow did she amaze live, as always.  DYU was the first new album they released while I was a fan so it's got a special place in my heart for this band.  I wish they just played the whole thing but I'm cool with getting to see a few of the lesser played songs mixed in with a bunch of other classic songs. 

However, In All Conscience might have been my favorite although not a DYU song, it is a nice fresh live power ballad from a newer album that didn't get played on that tour (and it's a b-side!).  I love when bands still play live songs for the first time after the album's been out for a long time.  That song just has really powerful lyrics and I was kind of surprised to see it (although I knew the setlist coming in, for some reason my focus just was never on that song).

Anyway, I did record the full song Our Destiny.  I love the lyrics there and that's a song that's rarely played so figure I may never see it again, heck, they may never even play it again after last night.  It's also a good song so I'm happy with the performance and my video came out well. 

About half way into their set, I decided I had enough of being in the back and that it was time to mosh.  Boy is my body aching today from that decision.  It was soooo much fun though.  All the people I had been chatting with on line or during the opener set were in the pit, it was a big happy family in there.  I went wild.  Jammed both my middle fingers, my right collar bone is bruised, my ass cheek is bruised, my shoulder is bruised, and so is my thigh.  I accidently kneed someone in the head (I think I apologized to him 10 times, including after the show when I saw him on the street outside the venue  :lol)  But that was sooo worth it.  I freaked out for a bit, somehow my headphone ear buds got ripped out from me in the pit, but at the same time someone also grabbed my neckless. I panicked as someone then handed me a neckless chain with out the gold which confused me and made me think I lost my neckless in the pit.  It was a bit before I realized the neckless was still on me and the headphones were not which sucks to lose, but much better to lose that than my neckless my mom got me when I was a kid.  Anyway....

Random people that hung out together all night:

Epica:

and video:

Epica - Our Destiny Live New York City 2020

I'll have my full video up tonight when I get home and can edit/review it all, but an AMAZING night and Epica just keeps impressing me

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #380 on: January 13, 2020, 01:51:33 PM »
Whoa, I thought they had a new guitarist for the first part of the video.  It wasn't until Isaac came up to the front of the stage after about 2:00 in and I could get a good look that I could see that it was him.  He looks SO different with the full beard and his hair pulled back. 

Anyhow, glad you enjoyed the show.  Sounds fantastic.  They are on my short list of bands that I would like to see.  But they never seem to pay anywhere remotely close when I can see them. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: January 13, 2020, 02:34:08 PM »
Yea, plus Isaac is going grey, I thought he looked very different as well although I noticed it before the show in pictures as I had been following them closely the last couple weeks.

They said they will be back for a full tour once the next album is out.  Maybe end of 2020 or beginning of 2021 and hopefully they come near you. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: October 09, 2020, 09:26:45 AM »
New single!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTbk3SfUq9Q

:metal :metal

Abyss Of Time is the first single from Epica's eighth album Omega, out on February 26, 2021 via Nuclear Blast Records

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: October 09, 2020, 10:21:43 AM »
Whoa, Kingdom of Heaven part 3 is on Omega, surprised they're still going with that  :lol

I really, really need to play catch up with this band like I did with Ensiferum this year (caught up on the last 10 years of music). I own The Quantum Enigma but I don't think I've ever listened to it, and I only gave Requiem a couple spins. I'm on vacation next week - I think over the next 9 days I'll check out what I've been missing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: October 09, 2020, 10:44:14 AM »
i have the devine conspiracy. i like it havent listend to it much

simone is hot

This post is beyond brilliant.

Just saw this for the first time. Belly laugh. Awesome.