Author Topic: Epica appreciation thread  (Read 61879 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Epica appreciation thread
« Reply #315 on: April 18, 2017, 11:31:56 AM »
That March of the Emperor from Star Wars on Retrospect was fantastic.

I think The Imperial March on Retrospect was abridged right? I know they did the whole version on Classical Conspiracy.

I think I also prefer the audio mix on Classical Conspiracy too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #316 on: April 18, 2017, 11:51:48 AM »
The Imperial March on Classical Conspiracy is shorter I believe. Though on Retrospect it's combined with Battle of the Heroes. It might actually work out to be the same time if you split the Retrospect track.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #317 on: April 18, 2017, 11:58:42 AM »
Retrospect has more Epica songs so I prefer that.  The lights on the blu-ray shining into the cameras is pretty bad and makes it less enjoyable on the eyes, but hardly takes away from my overal viewing/listening pleasure.  It's still a top notch concert.

I'd love for them to release another concert.  They already have a lot of new material to use plus backlogs of songs never released live.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #318 on: April 18, 2017, 12:04:10 PM »
Have loved them since Divine Conspiracy, though for some reason I never bought Requiem for the Indifferent.

I think I prefer Quantum Enigma to Holographic Principle, though I haven't listened to the latter much since it came out.  Need to rectify that, immediately.   :metal

Offline Adami

« Reply #319 on: April 18, 2017, 12:26:01 PM »
The Imperial March on Classical Conspiracy is shorter I believe. Though on Retrospect it's combined with Battle of the Heroes. It might actually work out to be the same time if you split the Retrospect track.

Not sure about time length, I just meant that I think they played the Imperial March in full on CC, and did an abridged version on Retrospect since it was combined with Battle.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #320 on: April 18, 2017, 12:32:58 PM »
Well, on CC it's 3 and a half minutes. On Retrospect, the two songs combined are six and a half minutes. I don't know how long Imperial March is supposed to be. If on CC it's played in full, and it's 3 and a half minutes, then it could be played in full on Retrospect. I don't know where the cut-off is between that and Battle.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #322 on: April 19, 2017, 09:06:18 AM »
Have loved them since Divine Conspiracy, though for some reason I never bought Requiem for the Indifferent.

I think I prefer Quantum Enigma to Holographic Principle, though I haven't listened to the latter much since it came out.  Need to rectify that, immediately.   :metal

I'm completely the opposite on Quantum Enigma vs. Holographic Principle.  I bought Quantum Enigma when it came out, listened a few times, and just kind of forgot about it.  No real reason.  It just didn't really grab me.  I think a lot of that might have to do with the fact that Retrospect had come out not long before, and when I wanted my Epica fix, Retrospect was still my go-to (it still is, for the most part).  I guess the thing for me is, I wouldn't really call myself a hard core fan.  They aren't a band I have followed all that closely.  But I have come to like their sound.  Retrospect is perfect because it's such a great collection of songs and such a great performance.  But in terms of individual studio albums, Quantum Enigma did little to make me stand up and take notice of individual songs, so it quickly faded. 

I bought Holographic Principle on release and didn't really care for it on first listen.  But a big part of the reason I didn't like it turned into a positive over the long run.  It sounded different.  This is probably the first album of theirs where I have noticed a marked change in sound from them, and it kind of threw me at first.  But after revisiting, the individual songs really took on a life of their own, and each song definitely has a unique identity, which I feel had been missing from a lot of their material in recent years.  And the OUTSTANDING acoustic bonus disk was a huge plus as well.

I didn't buy Design Your Universe or Requiem.  But to my ears, those two albums and Quantum Enigma just sounded kind of samey.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.  But as someone who is maybe just a bit more than a casual fan, there just wasn't enough there to pull me in.  So Quantum Enigma just sat on the shelf.  Honestly, I forgot I even had it until your post, which made me go to my CD shelf and pull it out to bring to work and listen to it this morning.  I ripped it to the work computer, so I will likely be listening to it a lot more now.  And these guys are kind of "trending up" for me.  I've been noticing myself wanting to listen to them a bit more, and wanting to reach outside of what I have on the computer here.  So I can see myself expanding my Epica collection in the not-too-distant future.  (I presently only have The Divine Conspiracy, The Classical Conspiracy, Retrospect, The Quantum Enigma, and The Holographic Principle)  But we'll see.  These guys are kind of a challenging band for me in that lyrics are generally an important part of the picture for me, and I disagree vehemently with where they are coming from philosophically in a lot of their lyrics.  That isn't as hard to reconcile when I am just enjoying them as background music during the workday.  But as I get more actively engaged with their songs, it may become an issue.  We'll see.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #323 on: April 19, 2017, 09:18:20 AM »
I honestly don't think Epica has a bad album in their catalogue.  You can sense a progression in their sound and style as time went on, I just think they were slowly headed towards a more mainstream sound, losing the operatic vocals and some of the progressiveness and then Holographic Principle seems to have brought some of that back, not so much the operatic vocals of Simone, I think those are mostly gone as her voice has changed over time, but the progressiveness came back a lot more on this album.  Also, I just think the songs are better individually... plus the growls actually sound good on this album.  His vocals have gotten better over time, but I never enjoyed them, this is the first album I actually like them.  Divide and Conquer may be my favorite song on the album.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #324 on: April 19, 2017, 09:22:48 AM »
... plus the growls actually sound good on this album.  His vocals have gotten better over time, but I never enjoyed them, this is the first album I actually like them. 

But aren't a lot of the growls on this album done by Isaac and not Mark?  I don't know that Mark's style has changed much.  I think it's just a factor of him taking on less and less vocals and giving them more and more to Isaac since Isaac joined.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: April 19, 2017, 09:33:43 AM »
... plus the growls actually sound good on this album.  His vocals have gotten better over time, but I never enjoyed them, this is the first album I actually like them. 

But aren't a lot of the growls on this album done by Isaac and not Mark?  I don't know that Mark's style has changed much.  I think it's just a factor of him taking on less and less vocals and giving them more and more to Isaac since Isaac joined.

Im actually not sure how it's done on the album, but they sound mostly by Mark and complimented by Isaac, I also think that's how it was performed live, but I am not positive on that.   Wikipedia doesn't list Isaac as a vocalist on the album, but I think that's incorrect.  Also, I am surprised to see wikipedia says Marcela Bovio does backing vocals on all songs.   Maybe that's why i also enjoy this album  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #326 on: April 19, 2017, 09:37:48 AM »
On Retrospect, it seemed like Isaac had the growls on more of the newer songs.  And a lot of the growls on the last two albums sound like what I heard him doing on Retrospect where I could see that it was him.  So that is what I am judging from.  But it is entirely possible that I am mistaken.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: April 19, 2017, 09:47:07 AM »
I thought Isaac does the screams and Mark does the growls, but I honestly don't know this for a fact, that was just my interpretation and I can only recall Mark doing most of the singing live last time I saw them, but my memory is fuzzy. 

Bottom line though, the growls sound much better on this album regardless of who's doing what and it makes the album a lot better IMO.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #328 on: April 19, 2017, 08:46:43 PM »
According to the liner notes, Mark does the "grunts" according to the main band list, but Arien is listed as doing additional grunts under guest musicians. Yes, Marcela Bovio does backing vocals.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #329 on: April 20, 2017, 01:19:59 AM »
Funny.l remember watching the video for Cry for the Moon back in the day and thinking 'what the hell is this?' I liked the music but the addition of the choir looked creepy as hell.

Awesome band though.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: April 20, 2017, 01:22:29 PM »
From Epica's FB today:

USA & CANADA! Something pretty exciting is about to happen. What could it be... :)

:metal :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #331 on: April 20, 2017, 01:33:29 PM »
I AM SO ALL OVER THAT!!!   :omg: :metal :caffeine: :letam: :panicattack: :2metal: :dangerwillrobinson:  :eek

Offline Adami

« Reply #332 on: April 20, 2017, 01:56:24 PM »
I AM SO ALL OVER THAT!!!   :omg: :metal :caffeine: :letam: :panicattack: :2metal: :dangerwillrobinson:  :eek

Same here!

And I'll also go to the show.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #333 on: April 20, 2017, 02:04:21 PM »

Same here!

And I'll also go to the show.

Sweet!  Once the dates are released, I will clear the calendar and make up the bed in the guest room for you.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: April 24, 2017, 11:09:04 AM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #335 on: April 24, 2017, 11:16:33 AM »
Shoot, I was hoping for more dates than that.  Scheduling and location aren't good for me, so this may not happen after all.  :(  And with the schedule being as tight as it is, it does not look like more dates will be added along the way.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #336 on: April 24, 2017, 11:20:19 AM »
So very tempting - I saw Lacuna Coil once 8 years ago, and have never seen Epica.  But driving 70 miles for a concert is such a pain in the ass now.  At least it's on a Saturday if I decide to go.

Also, the LC picture completely matches up with the Insomnium/Elantris pictures in that flyer, making Andrea out to be a one-man band.   :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #337 on: April 24, 2017, 11:25:00 AM »
If it were on a Saturday, I would do it.  For me, it is a Thursday, and about 100 miles.  Not a great combination.  And I would likely be going solo.  I'm not saying this is a definite "no," but it isn't looking good.

And I hadn't noticed that about the poster.  :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #338 on: April 24, 2017, 11:31:54 AM »
Poster lists 9-15 as LA.

Website lists no LA date and has 9-15 as Santa Anna.

Hmmmm....
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: April 24, 2017, 12:05:00 PM »
I expect to be at the NYC show.  Love the Playstation theater and it appears they are brining a legit stage show for this tour so this should be awesome.  I just hope for a different setlist so we can see more of a variety. 

Offline Grappler

« Reply #340 on: April 24, 2017, 01:40:42 PM »
If it were on a Saturday, I would do it.  For me, it is a Thursday, and about 100 miles.  Not a great combination.  And I would likely be going solo.  I'm not saying this is a definite "no," but it isn't looking good.

And I hadn't noticed that about the poster.  :lol

I was mistaken.  I read the poster in a European date format and thought the show was in June.  Oops!   It's actually a Wednesday in September.  Not going.  Weekday shows are tough based on my 50 mile commute to work via train.  Can't afford to take any time off of work then either - I have to horde PTO this year since baby #2 is due in October.

Such is life!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #341 on: April 26, 2017, 03:38:37 AM »
I will definitely be at the NYC show and I might even hit the Troc, too.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: May 03, 2017, 01:43:08 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1qRwjqjurQ

New official live video of Dancing in a Hurricane  :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #343 on: May 03, 2017, 02:45:52 PM »
Wow.  I may have to seriously reconsider going to see this.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #344 on: May 03, 2017, 08:13:02 PM »
Just downloaded a few Epica boots. There's one cleverly name Make America Epic Again.

Offline Adami

« Reply #345 on: May 03, 2017, 08:16:57 PM »
Wow.  I may have to seriously reconsider going to see this.

I somehow doubt we're getting that kind of stage show haha, but that would be epic.....................a.

I still plan on going, unsure if I should get the VIP. No idea what I would even say to Epica other than being able to be really close to Simone for a second.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #346 on: May 03, 2017, 08:23:14 PM »
Yeah, I can't meet her. That would just...not be good for me.

Offline Adami

« Reply #347 on: May 03, 2017, 08:25:57 PM »
Yeah, I can't meet her. That would just...not be good for me.

I assume they have complimentary paper towels.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #348 on: May 03, 2017, 08:27:13 PM »
For me or her?

Offline Adami

« Reply #349 on: May 03, 2017, 08:28:30 PM »
Well I'm sure she'd be happy to hand them to you.
fanticide.bandcamp.com