Author Topic: Epica appreciation thread  (Read 61846 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Epica appreciation thread
« Reply #140 on: December 13, 2013, 05:47:25 AM »
I get why people prefer Blu Ray over DVD.  I really do.  But here's the thing:  If it was shot in high enough definition that you can see a difference between the Blu Ray version and the DVD version, it is in high enough definition that your Blu Ray player will up-convert the definition of the DVD to the point where you shouldn't notice much difference anyway.  So the only real difference is just the unfortunate fact that you have to change DVDs in the middle of the show instead of being able to watch it in one shot.  But if you were at the actual show, they would have had an intermission at that point anyway, so that just makes it more realistic.  SO JUST GET THE DVD, FOOL!

A few things. The Blu ray is still double disc in this case and the show had no intermission that I recall(I watched the live stream). Second, while you are right that the DVD will upconvert, the Blu ray will still have better picture and maybe better sound. I haven't seen the DVD of this concert so I can't say this is 100% the case, but in other DVDs/Blu rays it has been noticeable.

I bought my Blu ray from UK amazon and the price plus shipping ended up being cheaper than the DVD version plus shipping from the US amazon.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #141 on: December 16, 2013, 08:52:11 AM »
Okay, just got the new Nightwish live set and checked that out over the weekend.  After some of Marco's introductions, especially the one to Romanticide, I hereby withdraw my prior comment about Simone being the most awkward frontperson.  Holy inappropriate, Batman!  :lolpalm:  /offtopic
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #142 on: January 31, 2014, 10:58:34 PM »
I finally got my hands on this.  The light beams are too much, but the band sounds really great.  The set list was great.  And Simone... :drool:

Late edit:  I've had Requiem for the Indifferent for almost two years and didn't realize there were lyrics for most of Serenade of Self-Destruction until I watched Retrospect.  Apparently, the first pressing accidentally had a mostly instrumental version on album.  What is really cool is that the instrumental version was my favorite song on the album when I thought it was supposed to be an instrumental, and then Simone and Mark raise that bar even higher now that I have the proper track (free for download from Nuclear Blast).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 03:00:14 PM by Dr. DTVT »

Offline adace

« Reply #143 on: February 05, 2014, 12:58:43 PM »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #144 on: February 05, 2014, 01:13:32 PM »
 :metal

:heart

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #145 on: February 05, 2014, 01:30:38 PM »
I find it odd that most Epica fans seem to be people who don't like growls, yet Epica has probably the worst growler ever. :lol

I enjoy their music to an extent, but mostly I wish Mark would shut up, and either just have Simone do all the vocals, or find someone who can actually growl well.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #146 on: February 05, 2014, 01:39:07 PM »
I can deal with the growls and I don't mind Mark's so much.  When he does the higher pitched growls, it reminds me of something that would come from Darkthrone.  However, as a whole I don't generally like the cookie monster vocals. However, to get some Simone I'll deal with them.  It's like some beautiful woman telling me I could fuck the shit out of her but first I have to do Rosie O Donnell.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: February 05, 2014, 03:54:25 PM »
I think the growls have gotten better over time.  They are terrible on the first couple albums.  I do however wish there was just only Simone with limited growls.  I am pumped for the new album though.  I really liked RftI and the new song, Retrospect, from the DVD.  Id really like to see them live too the next time they come to the US.  I missed them last time due to my sisters wedding.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #148 on: February 08, 2014, 05:29:51 AM »
Ashamed to say, been discovering this awesome band only recently. They are from my homecountry as well....  :blush
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #149 on: February 08, 2014, 05:39:12 AM »
Too bad this most likely won't see a release soon....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMMjaGksrAk&hd=1

full trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7kd8wrM7eQ&hd=1
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #150 on: February 08, 2014, 06:52:37 AM »

full trailer.

Wow, I didn't know about that.  From the description on the YT page for the short trailer, it actually looks like some of it is going to be released now that they have won the rights (if the info on that page is correct). 

If you like them, I would strongly recommend picking up their Retrospect CD/DVD (or BluRay) release.  It is a VERY good representation of them live.  The video is at time VERY distracting because the over-the-top stage lighting keeps you from really seeing what is going on onstage.  But it is still an awesome release and really gives a great sampling of the band's catalog.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #151 on: February 08, 2014, 11:47:13 AM »

full trailer.

Wow, I didn't know about that.  From the description on the YT page for the short trailer, it actually looks like some of it is going to be released now that they have won the rights (if the info on that page is correct). 

If you like them, I would strongly recommend picking up their Retrospect CD/DVD (or BluRay) release.  It is a VERY good representation of them live.  The video is at time VERY distracting because the over-the-top stage lighting keeps you from really seeing what is going on onstage.  But it is still an awesome release and really gives a great sampling of the band's catalog.

After finally being able to watch Retrospect on Blu-ray and not on YouTube the lighting doesn't distract me as much.  It's still a bit much but at least I can see Simone better.   :heart

I am pretty sure there is a bootleg of that unreleased show.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: February 08, 2014, 01:02:22 PM »
Anyone know the set of that unreleased show? Id be interested to know since its probably a good show of older material.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #153 on: February 09, 2014, 04:26:16 AM »
Bosk1 thanks for the tip. Yeah those lights look a bit distracting to say the least. Apparently, this was the setlist for the Paradiso gig.

Samadhi
Resign to Surrender
Cry for the Moon
Illusive Consensus
Unleashed
Martyr of the Free Word
Fools of Damnation
Tides of Time
Kingdom of Heaven

Encore:
Sancta Terra
(with Floor Jansen)
Consign to Oblivion
The Phantom Agony

It can be found here https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/epica/2011/paradiso-amsterdam-netherlands-53d3dbb1.html

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: February 09, 2014, 07:41:27 AM »
Cant be it. That show was from 2006 or so I thought. The one video shows them opening with Dance of Fate.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #155 on: February 09, 2014, 09:18:15 AM »
Cant be it. That show was from 2006 or so I thought. The one video shows them opening with Dance of Fate.

It is.. May 4 2006 is the date of the show.  It opens with Dance of Fate and here is the rest of the set:

Dance of Fate
Sensorium
The Last Crusade
Solitary Ground (with Amanda Somerville)
Force of the Shore
Quietus
Linger
Blank Infinity
Crystal Mountain
Seif Al Din
Facade of Reality
Trois Vierges
Another Me
The Phantom Agony

Cry For The Moon
Run For A Fall
Mother of Light

Consign to Oblivion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: February 09, 2014, 01:32:38 PM »
Cool set of old material.  I guess since you didn't mention it, that there is no Khan on Trois Vierges

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #157 on: February 09, 2014, 01:34:42 PM »
You mean a Khan fill-in? Because Khan has been retired from music for some time now.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: February 09, 2014, 03:03:16 PM »
It was filmed in 2006.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #159 on: February 09, 2014, 03:05:33 PM »
....I'm going to walk away in shame now. :P

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #160 on: February 10, 2014, 05:56:33 AM »
Cool set of old material.  I guess since you didn't mention it, that there is no Khan on Trois Vierges

No, he did sing it.  It slipped my mind while I was typing the setlist up.  I am curious about the boot for this now because I am pretty sure I saw someone with it once.  Also, Jan Chris de Koeijer sang on Consign to Oblivion.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: February 10, 2014, 06:34:30 AM »

No, he did sing it.  It slipped my mind while I was typing the setlist up.  I am curious about the boot for this now because I am pretty sure I saw someone with it once.  Also, Jan Chris de Koeijer sang on Consign to Oblivion.

Oh cool. I figured you did a cut and paste from somewhere. I'm not a huge fan of that song but if Khan did it with Simone live then id like to see it.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #162 on: February 10, 2014, 10:11:26 AM »
I'm usually not a bootleg person, but I'd love to see / hear that setlist live.

Offline adace

« Reply #163 on: February 15, 2014, 11:09:54 PM »
Much better than the cover for the last album. :tup

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #164 on: February 16, 2014, 05:54:49 AM »
 :metal Niiice!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: February 16, 2014, 10:13:55 AM »
I usually don't have too much opinions on cover art, but I am really attracted to that cover.  I like it a lot.

Offline adace

« Reply #166 on: February 17, 2014, 02:38:11 PM »
 Tracklisting:

01. Originem
02. The Second Stone
03. The Essence of Silence
04. Victims of Contingency
05. Sense Without Sanity (The Impervious Code)
06. Unchain Utopia
07. The Fifth Guardian (Interlude)
08. Chemical Insomnia
09. Reverence (Living in the Heart)
10. Omen [The Ghoulish Malady]
11. Canvas of Life
12. Natural Corruption
13. The Quantum Enigma (Kingdom Of Heaven Part II)

Offline adace

« Reply #167 on: March 13, 2014, 03:01:32 PM »
preview for "The Essence of Silence" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O15NGCvaWrk

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #168 on: March 13, 2014, 05:36:41 PM »
I hope the new album contains a minimal amount of growling. The artwork looks very good, nice album cover.

Yea. She says some word things and puts emphasis on parts of word that make the sentences sound weird. Same with the grunter. At one point he is introducing the orchestrator and says "he is called. ." Instead of saying "his name is " and I just assumed it was because they are dutch and English is not their first language. Elyze of Ameranthe talked the same way when I saw them a few months ago.

The comment was quite a while ago, but as Epica is often akward in saying things on stage I think it is still relevant  :D

As a dutch person I think a lot of the things they say that are a bit "off" are not really due to the fact that they are Dutch. When a person from the Netherlands barely speaks English, usually the person just takes a Dutch sentence and pull of a google translate kind of translation as far as they get. "He is called" is in Dutch something like: "hij wordt (insert name) genoemd". "Zijn naam is" is "his name is" translated and that is pretty much the same sentence to me. So it is just their style of talking I guess and I agree it is often weird and pretty bad. 

I do not know why I felt the sudden urge to make this reply, but yeah. Here you have my analysis on their stage dialouge  :P

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #169 on: March 13, 2014, 05:37:54 PM »
I hope the new album contains a minimal amount of growling. The artwork looks very good, nice album cover.

Yea. She says some word things and puts emphasis on parts of word that make the sentences sound weird. Same with the grunter. At one point he is introducing the orchestrator and says "he is called. ." Instead of saying "his name is " and I just assumed it was because they are dutch and English is not their first language. Elyze of Ameranthe talked the same way when I saw them a few months ago.

The comment was quite a while ago, but as Epica is often akward in saying things on stage I think it is still relevant  :D

As a dutch person I think a lot of the things they say that are a bit "off" are not really due to the fact that they are Dutch. When a person from the Netherlands barely speaks English, usually the person just takes a Dutch sentence and pull of a google translate kind of translation as far as they get. "He is called" is in Dutch something like: "hij wordt (insert name) genoemd". "Zijn naam is" is "his name is" translated and that is pretty much the same sentence to me. And that is what we normally use to introduce somebody. So it is just their style of talking I guess and I agree it is often weird and pretty bad. 

I do not know why I felt the sudden urge to make this reply, but yeah. Here you have my analysis on their stage dialouge  :P

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #170 on: March 13, 2014, 06:28:24 PM »
I know it's only 30 seconds but I wasn't too impressed yet.  Depending on which album wows me more, I always go back and forth between Epica and Within Temptation as my favorite female fronted metal band.  Again, I know it's only 30 seconds but if that one song sounded like that from start to finish, I'd be disappointed.  As of now WT have the edge. 

Offline adace

« Reply #171 on: March 13, 2014, 06:47:11 PM »
longer sample: https://itunes.apple.com/cl/album/the-essence-of-silence/id835658820?i=835660969&ign-mpt=uo%3D2

The song is already available in some countries so we should see it pop up soon.

Edit: Found it on YT. Not sure I can post the link though. Very good song.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:56:10 PM by adace »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: March 14, 2014, 05:32:36 AM »

As a dutch person I think a lot of the things they say that are a bit "off" are not really due to the fact that they are Dutch. When a person from the Netherlands barely speaks English, usually the person just takes a Dutch sentence and pull of a google translate kind of translation as far as they get. "He is called" is in Dutch something like: "hij wordt (insert name) genoemd". "Zijn naam is" is "his name is" translated and that is pretty much the same sentence to me. So it is just their style of talking I guess and I agree it is often weird and pretty bad. 

I guess that makes sense then, I may be heading to Amsterdam within the next month or two so I may experience this myself.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #173 on: March 14, 2014, 09:04:39 AM »
I just think it's a bit unnecessary to announce a song in a growly voice, but that's all.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: March 14, 2014, 09:41:29 AM »
I always thought it odd to announce sensorium with growls when the song doesn't have many growls. If it's a growl heavy song then it makes more sense.