Author Topic: Epica appreciation thread  (Read 62653 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Epica appreciation thread
« Reply #105 on: April 27, 2013, 03:21:24 PM »
The first few songs on Consign dont have growls.  I think that album also has the worst sounding growls.  He got much better in the newer albums.  I used to hate it and listen to mostly the Simone songs and songs with little growls, but I've grown to enjoy a lot of the other songs that have more growls.  I would recommend The Classical Conspiracy.  Has a mixture of music from thier first three albums, plus a bunch of instrumental tracks. 

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2013, 02:52:58 AM »
D'aww she's pregnant  :D

Offline stereoxio

• Rainmaker/Kitten's hypnotist
  • Cada vez iré sintiendo menos y recordando más...
« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2013, 08:55:57 AM »
The first few songs on Consign dont have growls.  I think that album also has the worst sounding growls.  He got much better in the newer albums.  I used to hate it and listen to mostly the Simone songs and songs with little growls, but I've grown to enjoy a lot of the other songs that have more growls.  I would recommend The Classical Conspiracy.  Has a mixture of music from thier first three albums, plus a bunch of instrumental tracks.

I couldn't agree more with you :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
"My love, I do not love you for you or for me or for the two of us together, I do not love you because my blood tells me to love you, I love you because you are not mine, because you are from the other side, from there where you invite me to jump and I cannot make the jump"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2013, 11:54:30 AM »

Also the song Living a Lie on the classical conspiracy has Simone singing the verses and no growls and is Sooo much better.

Offline stereoxio

• Rainmaker/Kitten's hypnotist
  • Cada vez iré sintiendo menos y recordando más...
« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2013, 01:04:42 PM »

Also the song Living a Lie on the classical conspiracy has Simone singing the verses and no growls and is Sooo much better.

Yup, when I first listened that song on the álbum it didn't work for me, the growls in the verses just didn't fit imo, and well, this was a little frustrating because I'm a huge Epica fan and I like almost every song of the band... Luckily The Classical Conspiracy's version came and now I am a happy girl  :laugh:
"My love, I do not love you for you or for me or for the two of us together, I do not love you because my blood tells me to love you, I love you because you are not mine, because you are from the other side, from there where you invite me to jump and I cannot make the jump"

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2013, 08:45:26 PM »
Wow.... I've been listening to the "wrong" version of Serenade of Self-Destruction for over a year now. I didn't know about the wrong version being on the first few CDs. I rather prefer it the way without the vocals.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2013, 05:58:53 AM »
Wow.... I've been listening to the "wrong" version of Serenade of Self-Destruction for over a year now. I didn't know about the wrong version being on the first few CDs. I rather prefer it the way without the vocals.

Hmm. I may be listening to the wrong version too then. The retrospect concert had vocals that I was unaware of.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #112 on: November 06, 2013, 12:21:16 PM »
Retrospect is out in a few days
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTy5yjccZzE

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2013, 03:24:27 PM »
I'm going to have to get the Blu ray version when I see it on amazon

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #114 on: November 07, 2013, 02:51:10 AM »
Yup I ordered mine from Amazon UK,good price too.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #115 on: November 15, 2013, 08:19:34 AM »
The Phantom Agony, from Retrospect:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpIEPdRXwYA
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: November 15, 2013, 08:28:54 AM »
I watched the concert live during the internet stream and the show was great overall. My stream worked great but there were very noticeable shots where the lights were shining right at the cameras making it impossible to see the band. I was hoping with the DVD they would have gone back and tried to edit it out but it looks like that problem made it to the DVD. I assume its because that problem was likely on all the cameras and they didn't have the footage to replace the bad stuff, but I know this problems will cause a lot of people to dislike the DVD. I'm still waiting to see if they get the Blu ray up on the USA version of amazon otherwise I'll have to order through the UK or something.

The song retrospect they wrote for this show was really good from what I recall so I'm pumped to get that on CD.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #117 on: November 15, 2013, 08:34:27 AM »
The Phantom Agony, from Retrospect:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpIEPdRXwYA

Awesome!

My only complaint is the lighting though.  It's too dark and too blue.  I don't know why it seems so distracting. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #118 on: November 15, 2013, 09:27:37 AM »
Is the entire show lit like that?  Odd that there aren't any spotlights on Simone or the rest of the band.  If the whole show is dark like that, that's just strange.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #119 on: November 15, 2013, 09:36:29 AM »
I've only seen a couple of clips so far.   I was planning on ordering the DVD but wanted to check out some of the footage first.  I'm not too sure if I want to purchase it if that's how it looks the whole show.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #120 on: November 15, 2013, 09:46:31 AM »
Just watched the clip for Unleashed as well.  The blue search lights are just too much.  I won't go so far as to say that they ruin the visual experience, but they are definitely distracting.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #121 on: November 15, 2013, 09:54:34 AM »
Just watched the clip for Unleashed as well.  The blue search lights are just too much.  I won't go so far as to say that they ruin the visual experience, but they are definitely distracting.

Especially when I am trying to get a good look at Simone.   ;)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: November 15, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
The blue search lights are like that the entire show I can pretty much confirm that.  Its a real shame.

I think there is an overall fair darkness to the concert, but I think TPA is more dark than the rest since they use those dance lights during the techno chorus.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #123 on: November 17, 2013, 02:36:22 PM »

It's like watching a JJ abrams film.

But that is one beautiful woman. I wondeer if there's a multicam option like on Outcry on LALP? They could save alot of disk space by just including the Simone cam. No-one's gonna bother watching the others.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2013, 01:16:23 AM »
I got my BR/CD package today and TBH the blue lights are not an issue, evident here and there.
But wow what a concert and the 5.1 sound is amazing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: December 02, 2013, 07:38:34 AM »
I got the BR/CD pack this past weekend. The white lights are too bright and make it difficult to watch. You really miss out on a lot of what's going on because of the lighting. However, when the lights are not in the way, the picture is fantastic. The images are crisper than LaLP. Also the sound is really good. The performance is great too. I'm a pretty big fan of the new song Retrospect.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #126 on: December 02, 2013, 07:40:53 AM »

But that is one beautiful woman. I wondeer if there's a multicam option like on Outcry on LALP? They could save alot of disk space by just including the Simone cam. No-one's gonna bother watching the others.

Others?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #127 on: December 02, 2013, 12:24:01 PM »

Others?

I believe there is a mountain troll there somewhere. I've heard it growl.  :biggrin:

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #128 on: December 02, 2013, 02:26:13 PM »

Others?

I believe there is a mountain troll there somewhere. I've heard it growl.  :biggrin:

Oh, I just assumed it was a keyboard effect.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #129 on: December 02, 2013, 02:30:48 PM »
:lol  I generally don't care for grunts or screams, but I've actually somehow come to like Mark Jansen's vocals.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: December 02, 2013, 05:05:53 PM »
I'm not a big fan either but I've slowly gotten used to it and slowly have started to enjoy it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #131 on: December 02, 2013, 05:22:14 PM »
That's a good description for the process I went through as well.  It just kind of grew on me over time.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #132 on: December 04, 2013, 04:03:20 AM »
Watched the Retrospect dvd yesterday and enjoyed it.
It did remind me of the Underworld films in negative- there they put the gorgeous Kate Beckinsale in black leather and filmed in the dark so you can't see her. Here they have the beautiful Simone and blast her with light from behind. spoilt my enjoyment somewhat  :biggrin:
(sigh) she does have a way of making me feel like a teenager again.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: December 04, 2013, 05:53:11 AM »
She really is a metal goddess

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #134 on: December 12, 2013, 03:34:40 PM »
I've been listening to Retrospect a lot since I got it.  And while I enjoy it a lot and I think Simone does a fantastic job as a singer, she is one of the most awkward frontpersons I have ever heard when she is just talking to the crowd.  :lol  She takes such a long time to get to whatever point she is trying to make, and her stories are so convolluted and have so little to do with whatever she is trying to say.  Oh well.  At least she can sing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: December 12, 2013, 08:33:18 PM »
Yea. She says some word things and puts emphasis on parts of word that make the sentences sound weird. Same with the grunter. At one point he is introducing the orchestrator and says "he is called. ." Instead of saying "his name is " and I just assumed it was because they are dutch and English is not their first language. Elyze of Ameranthe talked the same way when I saw them a few months ago.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #136 on: December 12, 2013, 08:38:48 PM »
Well, not just stuff like that.  I mean, those kinds of things are understandable for someone speaking a second language.  It's more just...the substance of what she says is awkward and doesn't make sense sometimes.  For instance, when she is introducing The Divine Conspiracy, she says:

"Tonight is like a dream come true.  Although...it does really feel like I'm still dreaming.  Reality can be beautiful sometimes, you know?  But...life has its dark sides as well.  This next song is about...the depths of dispair." 

Uh...what?  :justjen:  I mean, I get that she is trying to make a contrast to transition into the subject matter of the song, but the contrast she is making just doesn't work.  And don't even get me started on the whole thing before Chasing The Dragon, and how we somehow get from the band celebrating 10 years, to being in airports, to eating burgers, to Johnny Depp, to drug addiction.  :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #137 on: December 12, 2013, 09:58:06 PM »
I've been holding off on this because I want to get the Blu-ray, but it's not listed on amazon and Nuclear Blast is out of stock... :'(

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #138 on: December 12, 2013, 10:02:59 PM »
I get why people prefer Blu Ray over DVD.  I really do.  But here's the thing:  If it was shot in high enough definition that you can see a difference between the Blu Ray version and the DVD version, it is in high enough definition that your Blu Ray player will up-convert the definition of the DVD to the point where you shouldn't notice much difference anyway.  So the only real difference is just the unfortunate fact that you have to change DVDs in the middle of the show instead of being able to watch it in one shot.  But if you were at the actual show, they would have had an intermission at that point anyway, so that just makes it more realistic.  SO JUST GET THE DVD, FOOL!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #139 on: December 12, 2013, 11:25:02 PM »
That's out of stock too.