Author Topic: Epica appreciation thread  (Read 61882 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Epica appreciation thread
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2012, 11:48:55 PM »
I gotta get this album.  While Ive never been a big fan of the male vocals, Ive grown to be able to enjoy them for the most part and Simones vocals easily make up for it.  I totally agree with the assessment that it takes a few listens.  I just think in general that it takes time to really enjoy Epica's music.  Its definitely not a one time listen and you love them type of band.  I really enjoyed Design Your Universe so I definitely need to give this album a listen.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2012, 05:20:34 AM »
I didn't really manage to get into Design Your Universe  :-\

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2012, 09:57:08 AM »
There's 2 problems that I can see with Design Your Universe.

1. The god damn narration, these bands just need to stop with that, or the dialogue stuff, whatever, it's horrible on every level.

2. They somewhat developed a need to drag out all of their songs into pointless instrumental sections.

That said, I still like the album, though it took me quite a while to really dig it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2012, 07:06:34 PM »
It is really long, but I think I prefer it over the TDC now.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2012, 06:59:04 PM »
Ive given the new album a bunch of listens now and im really starting to dig it. Its definitely not catchy but it grows on you. This album is more complex than thier other stuff and now that its soaked in, im really enjoying it.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2012, 10:19:19 PM »
I've been playing the hell out of Requiem for the Indifferent lately.  "Storm the Sorrow" is just magnificent.  When Simone belts out the "NOOOOooooOOOO" in the chorus...*orgasm*

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2012, 10:20:45 PM »
I've listened to Requiem a whole bunch of times now. And I can't remember a single melody/riff from the CD. It really sounds like they took their formula for the past 2 albums and just quickly rehashed it to make an album. I didn't feel a whole lot of heart in this one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2012, 05:24:25 AM »
They are touring the us in the fall with ale storm. I may check them out in NYC.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2012, 08:43:06 AM »
I've listened to Requiem a whole bunch of times now. And I can't remember a single melody/riff from the CD. It really sounds like they took their formula for the past 2 albums and just quickly rehashed it to make an album. I didn't feel a whole lot of heart in this one.

I initially kinda felt that way about The Divine Conspiracy.  And then I realized, "wait a minute.  I was hugely into And Justice For All way back in '89, so since I'm so familiar with the riffs from One, I guess I'm automatically familiar with the vast majority of riffs from TDC."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2012, 08:45:30 AM »
Fools of Damnation   :hefdaddy

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2012, 08:45:51 AM »
They are touring the us in the fall with ale storm. I may check them out in NYC.

I would go just to see Simone  :heart

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2012, 09:57:11 AM »
Bump!

I don't know why but I always had a bit of a dislike for female vocals for some reason  :huh: That was until I was in need of some new music and someone recommended I give Ayreon's The Human Equation a spin. I really enjoyed it and it also changed my mind about female vox. A bit down the line I also acquired 01. Floor & Irene Jansen and Marcela Bovio's vocals really grabbed me and converted me.

I became a fan of Simone's voice the second I heard it on Web of Lies, which was a while back now. I always meant to check out Epica but never seemed to get around to it (although I did check out who Simone was, hence my avatar  :D ). Seeing as I had some down time, I gave Star One's Victims Of the Modern Age a spin, Floor's voice rekindled my liking of female singing and also reminded me to give Epica a go, now I can't seem to get Storm the Sorrow out of my head! Now in the process of working through their material.

Just found out that they are playing at a club that I go to sometimes when I'm at uni. It's very near to my home, only a short walk from my uni accommodation and tickets are cheap so might check them out live too. Apparently Stream of Passion are supporting so I'll have to check them out too, if I heard right Marcela Bovio fronts them too, and as I said before I enjoy her vox too.

Also this...
I would go just to see Simone  :heart

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2012, 12:12:28 PM »
I have Requiem for the Indifferent and Design Your Universe. I love both of them even though the male growling vocals pretty much suck. Simone Simons has a great voice and she's hot as hell too. Even though its more poppy, my favorite song is Storm The Sorrow. I'm not really too familiar with symphonic metal so I don't know if they're ripping anyone off (like some people say) but I enjoy them.

(edit: meant to type "symphonic metal" not "symphonic rock")
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 05:11:46 PM by ColdFireYYZ »

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2012, 01:59:07 PM »
Yeah I just listened to Cry For The Moon and I understand where people got the troll idea from, the male vox aren't too great.

Offline RichardRG

« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2012, 10:17:37 AM »
I saw them open for Kamelot during the Black Halo Tour in 2006 in NYC. I love Simone Simmons, she's so hot. She has a great voice, too, lol. Consign to Oblivion is definitely one of the better metal albums of the past decade, imo.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2012, 10:02:14 AM »
Man...you know, if only this band had different lyrics, they could be in my top 3 favorite bands ever rather than just being a band I marginally listen to once in a blue moon as background music.  They have SUCH a good sound.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2012, 10:01:53 PM »
Their earlier stuff isn't as anti-religion IIRC.  I went on a Consign to Oblivion kick a week or two ago.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2012, 09:57:38 AM »
Well with the growing its not so easy to understand the lyrics. I can't say I'm a fan of the lyrics but I don't let it get to me cause the music is that good.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2013, 05:46:43 PM »
Anyone see this?

https://www.livemusicstage.com/events/80/epica-retrostream/12?readmore=1

Internationally renowned symphonic metal band Epica celebrates their 10th anniversary on March 23rd with a special performance titled ”Retrospect”. Joining them on stage in Eindhoven, The Netherlands, will be a 70-piece symphonic orchestra and choir, making it the band's most ambitious project ever.

Since it would be nearly impossible to take such a massive line-up on the road, Epica has partnered with LiveMusicStage who will broadcast the concert live online across the globe.

“I am looking very much forward to this show. Everything we have done and achieved in these last 10 years will come together on the 23rd of March. Playing with a big orchestra and choir brings our music even more alive, in fact that’s the way how it's meant to be. Very rarely can we realize all of it and that makes it so special”, says Mark Jansen of Epica.

The high quality live stream provides an exclusive, social concert experience with a front row view of the greatest Epica show ever: ”Retrospect” is literally a retrospective on Epica's career including new songs never performed before, with special guests and effects. It presents Epica's music the organic way − accompanied by a symphonic orchestra and a choir.

The anniversary show is expected to sell out soon, so don't miss your chance to experience another milestone in Epica's exquisite existence!

Sounds really cool and for 9 bucks, Im seriously interested, although I feel like I could forget to be around on a Saturday afternoon to watch.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2013, 05:54:17 PM »

It was a great show. I saw them on Halloween night. Alestorm dressed like Batman characters and called themselves "Christian Balestorm".

And Epica, at the end, for an encore, did Sally's Song from A Nightmare Before Christmas.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2013, 06:04:33 PM »
Yeah, I might have plans that Saturday, otherwise I'd probably jump in as well.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2013, 06:42:02 PM »

It was a great show. I saw them on Halloween night. Alestorm dressed like Batman characters and called themselves "Christian Balestorm".

And Epica, at the end, for an encore, did Sally's Song from A Nightmare Before Christmas.

That night ended up being the rehearsal dinnerfor NY sisters wedding so I didn't get to see them. I wish I got to catch that tour.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2013, 08:11:30 AM »
Ended up watching the concert live.  Really really awesome show. Simone was off a bit, but the orchestra, choir, lighting, fireworks, and the rest of the band were great.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/epica/2013/klokgebouw-eindhoven-netherlands-3d8a14b.html

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2013, 11:27:36 AM »
Apparently people are posting on Simone's facebook wall and/or tweeting her, asking her if she's pregnant/congratulating her on her pregnancy.
Newsflash: Most women don't have perfectly flat bellies, and some *gasp* don't even want to hide theirs!!! shocker, I know!! And if she is really pregnant but hasn't announced it that means it's none of anyone's damn business. People. :tdwn
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 11:37:47 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2013, 09:23:12 AM »
During the chat for the concert, people kept questioning it. I feel bad for her if she isn't pregnant.... but it did look like a little baby bump. I wouldn't say anything to her cause its rude though.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2013, 10:32:43 AM »
Well, a group of people will always become as smart as the dumbest person in the group.

Put that group on the internet and that lowest common denominator becomes very, very low.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2013, 02:27:47 PM »
It is official per Kamelot FB, Simone and oliver are having a baby

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2013, 03:30:23 PM »
I've always been put off Epica because of the male growly stuff when I have dipped in.
But seeing as how I've been on a female-fronted band kick lately (MindMaze, MorningStarlett, Vandroya, Visions Of Atlantis, Nemesea etc) and I happened on The Consign To Oblivion album on Youtube I gave it a go.

I really like it. And no growls.  :metal

Are there any others without the growling?

Offline adace

« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2013, 03:35:20 PM »
I've always been put off Epica because of the male growly stuff when I have dipped in.
But seeing as how I've been on a female-fronted band kick lately (MindMaze, MorningStarlett, Vandroya, Visions Of Atlantis, Nemesea etc) and I happened on The Consign To Oblivion album on Youtube I gave it a go.

Nightwish, Sirenia, Unsun, Within Temptation, Xandria, Edenbridge, Amberian Dawn

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2013, 03:48:04 PM »

Nightwish, Sirenia, Unsun, Within Temptation, Xandria, Edenbridge, Amberian Dawn

Ahh, sorry Adace, I meant Epica albums without growling. Thanks anyway, I know most of those.

Offline adace

« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2013, 04:12:11 PM »

Ahh, sorry Adace, I meant Epica albums without growling. Thanks anyway, I know most of those.
No prob. I'm not totally sure if there's any others like that as I'm mainly familiar with their last two albums which do have growling.

A few non-growling songs I know of are Unleashed, Feint, Burn to a Cinder, Sancta Terra, Delirium, Safeguard to Paradise, and Tides of Time. Hope that helps.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2013, 10:32:15 PM »
It is official per Kamelot FB, Simone and oliver are having a baby

I considered it official when I saw them live last week. Noticed the baby bump the whole show. She looked great too (as usual).
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2013, 07:59:41 AM »
Yea it was noticed during the Retrospect show, but it wasn't confirmed. I assume its a bit more noticeable now.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2013, 11:08:42 AM »

I'm confused. Consign to Oblivion has plenty of growls.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2013, 01:33:16 PM »

I'm confused. Consign to Oblivion has plenty of growls.

Posted while I was still listening, about half way through and I didn't notice any. Do they come later? I jumped to some other albums and found the growls easily.