Author Topic: The Beatles Thread  (Read 45316 times)

Offline Learning2Live

Re: The Beatles Thread
« Reply #210 on: August 29, 2019, 07:15:55 AM »
Abbey Road will always be my favorite as it is perfect from start to finish; every song is a gem.

Agreed. Excited to get the reissue next month! The first 2 remixes from Giles have both been fantastic and wouldn't expect anything less for Abbey Road.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #211 on: August 29, 2019, 08:31:15 PM »
Abbey Road will always be my favorite as it is perfect from start to finish; every song is a gem.
Giving it another listen and am inclined to pretty much agree. Not sure why I went slightly off it previously.

The Beatles have so many great albums that it's easy to think, "Oh wait, this is the best one," each time you listen to any of them.  :coolio :hat

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #212 on: September 03, 2019, 08:55:26 AM »
Been enjoying The Beatles all summer  been a fun to enjoy the old music again
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #213 on: September 03, 2019, 09:10:30 AM »
I didn't know this 50th anniversary remix series existed. Abbey Road is one of my favourite albums of all time.

How were the previous remixes? Comparable to the King Crimson 40th series?

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #214 on: September 03, 2019, 11:02:50 AM »
anyone catch the George Harrison doc on Netflix? "Living in the Material World".it's 3.5 hours, so I've only watched about half of it.

Also there's a couple live tributes to the White Album going on (or went on recently).

1 being Joey Eppard of Three
Another being an assembled group with Todd Rundgren, Micky Dolenz, Christopher Cross and members from Chicago and Badfinger
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/todd-rundgren-micky-dolenz-christopher-cross-unite-for-beatles-white-album-tour-844653/

I would see that in a heartbeat if it came to my town, but the closest is Milwaukee unfortunately.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #215 on: October 26, 2019, 09:59:37 AM »
Watching (again) a copy of "Let It Be - The Movie" (transferring some of the music to my iPod) and man.  This so deserves to be re-released. 

I just watched the segment - about eight minutes in - where they do an electric version of "Two Of Us", with Paul and John sharing a mike, then - and it's hard to tell if it's an audio edit or not, though the visuals are clearly edited from a different take - they move right in to "I've Got A Feeling", and it's just so powerful.  Then there's a break and Paul wants to work on the middle eight (with that screaming vocal and the descending guitar figure) and is asking John to play it different, and he bangs out like four different versions in the space of a minute and a half, then Paul calls out "middle eight! one two three four!" and they leap immediately into that, with Paul NAILING the vocal (even putting in some scat ad libs), John NAILING the guitar, and smiling all the way.

The band had their troubles then, but the music was always the thing that mattered most, at least if you believe that sequence.

(George was noticeably distant, sitting on the drum riser and playing along, but all the while, Ringo was driving that whole sequence and the band ROCKED.  Not Slayer rocked, but they were a formidable live outfit, in my opinion.)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #216 on: October 26, 2019, 10:16:57 AM »
Music is the ultimate drug.  We've all heard so much about the troubles The Beatles had towards the end, and there is video documentation of trying times, but also some amazing moments when they came together, such as you describe above.  It's almost like things went around in cycles.  John and Paul were hot and cold towards each other for a while, George was tired of their shit but had always felt somewhat marginalized by them anyway so that didn't help, and Ringo always seemed like the only one who got along with everyone because he just wanted to play.  But when it's time to work on tunes, they were so damned good together.

Not nearly on the same scale, but I can remember gigs with my old band where some of the guys weren't talking to each other, and were moments away from physically assaulting each other just that afternoon, but we got to the gig that night and it was awesome.  Ice cold during breaks, even afterwards, but on stage we had jobs to do, and it was music and it was great.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #217 on: November 02, 2019, 10:47:16 AM »
Watching (again) a copy of "Let It Be - The Movie" (transferring some of the music to my iPod) and man.  This so deserves to be re-released. 

I just watched the segment - about eight minutes in - where they do an electric version of "Two Of Us", with Paul and John sharing a mike, then - and it's hard to tell if it's an audio edit or not, though the visuals are clearly edited from a different take - they move right in to "I've Got A Feeling", and it's just so powerful.  Then there's a break and Paul wants to work on the middle eight (with that screaming vocal and the descending guitar figure) and is asking John to play it different, and he bangs out like four different versions in the space of a minute and a half, then Paul calls out "middle eight! one two three four!" and they leap immediately into that, with Paul NAILING the vocal (even putting in some scat ad libs), John NAILING the guitar, and smiling all the way.

The band had their troubles then, but the music was always the thing that mattered most, at least if you believe that sequence.

(George was noticeably distant, sitting on the drum riser and playing along, but all the while, Ringo was driving that whole sequence and the band ROCKED.  Not Slayer rocked, but they were a formidable live outfit, in my opinion.)

Saw it for the first time about a year ago. Might be the most scrutinized Beatles footage ever. Wasn't this supposed to be released at some point?  Thought Peter Jackson was working this or some related thing.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #218 on: November 02, 2019, 10:49:23 AM »

Not nearly on the same scale, but I can remember gigs with my old band where some of the guys weren't talking to each other, and were moments away from physically assaulting each other just that afternoon, but we got to the gig that night and it was awesome.  Ice cold during breaks, even afterwards, but on stage we had jobs to do, and it was music and it was great.

I'd imagine that story is a common one.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #219 on: December 06, 2019, 04:25:43 AM »
There will be a Beatles Pop-up store in NYC from Dec 11-22nd, but still no location revealed. I would consider it if it wasn’t the holiday season. I don’t like going downtown during this time a year (where the shop most likely will be).

The first wave of The Beatles merchandise collection will be introduced with a Beatles holiday pop-up store in New York City from December 11 through December 22.

The pop-up will showcase new apparel designs as well an assortment of licensed Beatles clothing, toys, and other branded products including turntables and a pinball machine, and more.

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/the-beatles-sign-north-america-merch-deal-with-sony-musics-the-thread-shop/

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: December 06, 2019, 07:42:26 AM »
Um.... any actual music available there?   :)

I might be in the City next week, might pop in. 

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: March 27, 2020, 09:05:51 AM »
To distract myself a bit during recent times, I reread most of Mark Lewisohn's 'Tune In' biography of The Beatles, in anticipation of the second book's announced release for this year.

https://www.amazon.com/Tune-Beatles-All-These-Years/dp/1101903295

Well, that date has been pushed back until approximately 2023.  Guess I'll have to order the 1700 page expanded version to bide my time until then.

Meanwhile, I came across this article, and am including the first few paragraphs:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/sep/11/the-beatles-break-up-mark-lewisohn-abbey-road-hornsey-road

"The Beatles weren’t a group much given to squabbling, says Mark Lewisohn, who probably knows more about them than they knew about themselves. But then he plays me the tape of a meeting held 50 years ago this month – on 8 September 1969 – containing a disagreement that sheds new light on their breakup.

They’ve wrapped up the recording of Abbey Road, which would turn out to be their last studio album, and are awaiting its release in two weeks’ time. Ringo Starr is in hospital, undergoing tests for an intestinal complaint. In his absence, John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison convene at Apple’s HQ in Savile Row. John has brought a portable tape recorder. He puts it on the table, switches it on and says: “Ringo – you can’t be here, but this is so you can hear what we’re discussing.”

What they talk about is the plan to make another album – and perhaps a single for release in time for Christmas, a commercial strategy going back to the earliest days of Beatlemania. “It’s a revelation,” Lewisohn says. “The books have always told us that they knew Abbey Road was their last album and they wanted to go out on an artistic high. But no – they’re discussing the next album. And you think that John is the one who wanted to break them up but, when you hear this, he isn’t. Doesn’t that rewrite pretty much everything we thought we knew?”

Lewisohn turns the tape back on, and we hear John suggesting that each of them should bring in songs as candidates for the single. He also proposes a new formula for assembling their next album: four songs apiece from Paul, George and himself, and two from Ringo – “If he wants them.” John refers to “the Lennon-and-McCartney myth”, clearly indicating that the authorship of their songs, hitherto presented to the public as a sacrosanct partnership, should at last be individually credited.

Then Paul – sounding, shall we say, relaxed – responds to the news that George now has equal standing as a composer with John and himself by muttering something mildly provocative. “I thought until this album that George’s songs weren’t that good,” he says, which is a pretty double-edged compliment since the earlier compositions he’s implicitly disparaging include Taxman and While My Guitar Gently Weeps. There’s a nettled rejoinder from George: “That’s a matter of taste. All down the line, people have liked my songs.”

John reacts by telling Paul that nobody else in the group “dug” his Maxwell’s Silver Hammer, a song they’ve just recorded for Abbey Road, and that it might be a good idea if he gave songs of that kind – which, John suggests, he probably didn’t even dig himself – to outside artists in whom he had an interest, such as Mary Hopkin, the Welsh folk singer. “I recorded it,” a drowsy Paul says, “because I liked it.”

A mapping of the tensions that would lead to the dissolution of the most famous and influential pop group in history is part of Hornsey Road, a teasingly titled stage show in which Lewisohn uses tape, film, photographs, new audio mixes of the music and his own matchless fund of anecdotes and memorabilia to tell the story of Abbey Road, that final burst of collective invention.

The album is now so mythologised that the humdrum zebra crossing featured on its celebrated cover picture is now officially listed as site of special historic interest; a webcam is trained on it 24 hours a day, observing the comings and goings of fans from every corner of the world, infuriating passing motorists as these visitors pause to take selfies, often in groups of four, some going barefoot in imitation of Paul’s enigmatic gesture that August morning in 1969."

Hope I live long enough to see the second and third books.

The Beatles Recording Sessions is a must read and go to 'bible'.  I've referred to it for over thirty years. 

« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 10:15:08 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: March 27, 2020, 09:13:03 AM »
In the meantime, for the youngsters and fellow ol' farts, here are my expanded 'Red' and 'Blue' discs (mostly chronological).  One can sensibly argue to add or delete a few songs, but in the scheme of things, these make for good 'best of' listening experiences.  Those songs I didn't include, well...I just listen to the respective albums in their entirety.

1962-66
Disc One
I Saw Her Standing There / Love Me Do / P.S. I Love You   / Do You Want To Know A Secret / Twist And Shout / From Me To You / She Loves You / I'll Get You /
I Want To Hold Your Hand / This Boy / It Won't Be Long / All My Loving / I Call Your Name / Long Tall Sally                   

A Hard Day’s Night / I Should Have Known Better / If I Fell / And I Love Her / Can't Buy Me Love / Any Time At All / Things We Said Today / I'll Be Back /
I Feel Fine / She's A Woman / No Reply / I'm A Loser / Rock And Roll Music / I'll Follow The Sun / Eight Days A Week / Kansas City - Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey!                  

Disc Two                  
(intro) Help! / I'm Down / The Night Before / You've Got To Hide Your Love Away / Ticket To Ride / Yes It Is / Yesterday / Day Tripper / We Can Work It Out / Drive My Car / Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) / Nowhere Man / Michelle / Girl / In My Life

Paperback Writer / Rain / Taxman / Eleanor Rigby / Good Day Sunshine / I Want To Tell You / Got To Get You Into My Life / Tomorrow Never Knows   

1967-1970   
Disc One
Strawberry Fields Forever / Penny Lane / With A Little Help From My Friends / Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds / When I'm Sixty-Four / Sgt. Pepper (Reprise) / A Day In The Life / All You Need Is Love                  

Hello Goodbye / I Am The Walrus / Magical Mystery Tour / The Fool On The Hill / Hey Bulldog / All Together Now / Lady Madonna / Hey Jude / Revolution / Across The Universe (demo or LIB..Naked)   

Disc Two                  
Back In The U.S.S.R. / Dear Prudence / Glass Onion / Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da / hey oh While My Guitar Gently Weeps / Blackbird / Piggies / Rocky Racoon / Birthday / Helter Skelter               

Get Back / Don't Let Me Down / The Ballad Of John And Yoko / Old Brown Shoe / Come And Get It [demo] / Come Together / Something / Oh! Darling / Here Comes The Sun / Let It Be [45] / Across The Universe / The Long And Winding Road / Golden Slumbers / Carry That Weight / The End / Her Majesty                  

« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 10:13:35 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #223 on: March 27, 2020, 09:18:09 AM »
I find that tape transcription very interesting.  It contradicts some of the myths about the band, and some of my own perceptions as well.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: March 27, 2020, 12:49:34 PM »
I find that intriguing as well. 

For the record, I re-read it three times, and each time had a slightly different take on Paul's “I thought until this album that George’s songs weren’t that good,” comment.  At first I thought he was dissing George, but I actually think it's possible he was throwing JOHN under the bus, implying that JOHN - who was now putting George at equal level (and by implication reducing Paul's contributions) - was the one that historically said that George's songs weren't that good. 

Remember, that the Beatles were generally speaking John's band pre-1966 and Paul's band post.   Abbey Road has eight McCartney songs (in addition to the general credit for the structuring of "The Medley"), six Lennon songs, two Harrison songs, and one Starr song.  Let It Be has four (or five, depending) McCartney songs, three (or four, depending) Lennon songs, and two Harrison songs.  So for the most part, adding to Harrison's total reduces PAUL'S input, not John's. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #225 on: March 27, 2020, 01:12:47 PM »
That's certainly another way to interpret what Paul said (about George's songs and why John was seemingly open to change the status quo), but it doesn't quite work with George's response, which was to defend his songs.  This would seem to be aimed at Paul over a seeming slight.  But I like the interpretation itself.

But who knows?  There are two slightly veiled references to the guys (or at least Paul) being pretty stoned during the talk.  Like alcohol, pot can be a potent truth serum, but it also muddles the message sent and the message received.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #226 on: March 27, 2020, 01:40:51 PM »
Works as a moment in time, but it's difficult to assign any context to it without more.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: March 27, 2020, 03:47:17 PM »
The tape from '69 blew me away as well.  Wish that Mr. Lewisohn would make his 'Hornsey Road' presentation available online.  I just hope I live long enough to read books 2 and 3.

As to another 'Beatle' album, for decades I've listened to one I put together called 'Apple Pie'....solo tracks up through the end of 1971.  Once again, everyone's personal tastes differ.  I did include a guide for the novices not familiar with the releases for their youtube searches.

Side One
Too Many People (M)/ Instant Karma (L)/ Wah Wah (H)/ Uncle Albert-Admiral Halsey (M)/ Oh My Love (L)      
Side Two      
Come And Get It */ Give Me Some Truth (L)/ It Don't Come Easy (S)/ Heart Of The Country (M)/ Isn't It A Pity [ext] (H)      
Side Three                   
Maybe I'm Amazed (M)/ Every Night (M)/ Power To The People (L)/ Awaiting On You All (H)/ Working Class Hero   (L)
Side Four               
What Is Life (H)/ Imagine (L)/ Another Day (M)/ Backseat Of My Car (M)/ Love (L)                  

*Demo   
Optional:  Cold Turkey, God, Give Peace A Chance, Happy Xmas (War Is Over), Oh Woman Oh Why, Junk, Singalong Junk, Eat At Home, Tomorrow, Not Guilty (demo), My Sweet Lord, All Things Must Pass, Get Back Boogaloo   

(L) Lennon    (M) McCartney     (H) Harrison     (S) Starr   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: December 08, 2020, 05:45:57 PM »
Just a quick note to remind:  40 years to the day since we lost John. 

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: December 08, 2020, 09:35:51 PM »
Sat in disbelief with a couple of college roommates watching the MNF game, with Howard Cosell's announcement that he'd been shot, and then the 'dead on arrival'.

We walked to a very nearby watering hole almost immediately, his solo and Beatle tunes broadcast on the college radio station nonstop over the bar's sound system.  Got back to my apartment, drank some more, dozed, and my Mom called at 7am having just heard the news, ....all choked up.  I called my best friend at work at 8.  And then somehow managed to do OK on a couple of final exams in very subdued classrooms. 

Listened to my 'best of' today, along with hearing demos of 'Real Love' and 'Free As A Boid'.... feels like getting punched in the gut during each song.

Sugar plum fairy, sugar plum fairy.............

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #230 on: July 22, 2021, 02:32:42 PM »
Tenacious D cover "You Never Give Me Your Money" and "The End": https://youtu.be/N0hFf-twPlY

Offline frogprog

« Reply #231 on: July 22, 2021, 07:21:25 PM »
That was great

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #232 on: November 26, 2021, 02:14:57 PM »
Watching the first episode of Get Back now. What an amazing gift for Beatles fans.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #233 on: November 26, 2021, 02:23:27 PM »
Same... Unbelievable stuff. Watching Paul pull Get Back out of thin air, just  :omg:

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #234 on: November 27, 2021, 10:54:11 AM »
What an absolute treat for Beatles fans.... Even though it was about 7 hours of footage, I didn't want it to end. I wish they had more of this type of video footage from other album sessions just laying around in the archives that they could release. I'm a little sad in the sense that there's nothing more to look forward to in the future for new releases. The Sgt Pepper through Let It Be 50th anniversary reissues were all done so well.

Regardless, it has been such a fun trip these last few years. Thank you Beatles, Giles Martin and Peter Jackson.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #235 on: November 27, 2021, 01:07:04 PM »
Going to watch this soon, it's almost 8 hours combined by the looks of it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #236 on: November 27, 2021, 01:46:58 PM »
I will admit that the irrational part of me isn't excited about this simply because it is named after a Beatles song that I greatly dislike :lol :lol (the song Get Back sucks), but I am sure I will check it out sooner rather than later.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #237 on: November 27, 2021, 05:11:04 PM »
It’s as if time travel were real.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #238 on: November 28, 2021, 04:11:38 AM »
I'm just done with part two. It feels as if I sat in the room with them. I also love being able to see the moments that we've only heard or heard of over the years. Seeing Lennon actually yelling out "I DIG A PYGMY BY CHARLES HAWTREY AND THE DEAF AIDS!" just thrilled me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: November 29, 2021, 05:21:19 AM »
I'm looking forward to this; I remember seeing "Let It Be" (bootleg copy) and realizing "WOW, these guys are the real deal".  So in synch, so connected to the music they are making.  It was a real revelation then, and each time I've watched it since (about four times, though the bootleg footage and sound is subpar).   I am REALLY excited for this.  I'm hoping there is some sort of home release.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #240 on: November 30, 2021, 05:22:39 AM »
Looks like Disney + is the only place to watch this, so I guess I won't be watching it after all.  I do not have Disney + and have no interest in giving them any money.  Bummer.

Offline HOF

« Reply #241 on: November 30, 2021, 07:13:14 AM »
Watched a little of this last night. Didn’t have much time, thought it was interesting, but not sure I can do 9 hours of that! It was cool to see them work, but I wouldn’t call it riveting viewing. If you’re a huge fan it’s probably more interesting.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: November 30, 2021, 07:21:20 AM »
Watched a little of this last night. Didn’t have much time, thought it was interesting, but not sure I can do 9 hours of that! It was cool to see them work, but I wouldn’t call it riveting viewing. If you’re a huge fan it’s probably more interesting.

See I dig this stuff.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #243 on: November 30, 2021, 07:29:06 AM »
I do wish there was a "theatrical cut" of sorts. The argument to make it as long as it is, is a good one. This is music history and every minute that is not in this will likely remain in the vaults for a long time, if not forever.

It really is kind of surreal to see some classics being made by one of the biggest artists in history. But instead of it being a film with actors, which it sometimes almost looks like due to the quality, it is actually real.

Offline HOF

« Reply #244 on: November 30, 2021, 08:09:08 AM »

See I dig this stuff.

I do too ordinarily, but I’m just not sure I can get through all of it. Will probably watch a bit more when I get a chance but my attention span for TV is not that long.