Author Topic: The Beatles Thread  (Read 43399 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Beatles Thread
« Reply #175 on: March 09, 2016, 01:59:25 PM »
The Offspring's Why Don't You Get A Job is a total Ob La Di rip-off.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #176 on: March 09, 2016, 02:14:00 PM »
life goes ooooooonBRAH!

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #177 on: March 09, 2016, 06:48:34 PM »
The Offspring's Why Don't You Get A Job is a total Ob La Di rip-off.

Yeah, they've copied other songs recently ("American Idiot", "Times Like These", "Helena").
They are still my 2nd favourite band though.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #178 on: March 09, 2016, 06:52:40 PM »
I only recently got into the Beatles, I have mainly listened to Sgt Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour so far, I really love those two albums.

I Am the Walrus...  I have so much love for that song...  :heart

Also, A Day in the Life.
My two favourite songs too   :tup (though I love A Day in the Live more than I am the Walrus) I really love The Fool on The Hill, Strawberry fields forever, Piggies and Within you without you too :azn:

If I had to name one favorite Beatles song, it would be IAtW, but it comes from an album who's title track makes me want to gouge my EARDRUMS out!!
Roll up! Roll up for the magical mystery tour! Come on it's awesome, really get's you in the right mood  :D

and RIP George Martin  :-\

Abbey Road, Rubber Soul, and Revolver are essential.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 05:45:06 AM by Dream Team »

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #179 on: March 09, 2016, 10:17:23 PM »
I only recently got into the Beatles, I have mainly listened to Sgt Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour so far, I really love those two albums.

I Am the Walrus...  I have so much love for that song...  :heart

Also, A Day in the Life.
My two favourite songs too   :tup (though I love A Day in the Live more than I am the Walrus) I really love The Fool on The Hill, Strawberry fields forever, Piggies and Within you without you too :azn:

If I had to name one favorite Beatles song, it would be IAtW, but it comes from an album who's title track makes me want to gouge my EARDRUMS out!!
Roll up! Roll up for the magical mystery tour! Come on it's awesome, really get's you in the right mood  :D

and RIP George Martin  :-\

The reason I HATE it so much is that the whole CHORUS just sounds like "SpongeBob laugh, name of song, SpongeBob laugh, name of song" over and over again!!
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #180 on: March 10, 2016, 05:48:44 AM »
Abbey Road, Rubber Soul, and Revolver are essential.

I'll definitely listen to them soon :azn:

The reason I HATE it so much is that the whole CHORUS just sounds like "SpongeBob laugh, name of song, SpongeBob laugh, name of song" over and over again!!
It agree it is quite a silly song and I can't take it very seriously, but I do love it  :lol
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #181 on: March 10, 2016, 02:23:02 PM »
It agree it is quite a silly song and I can't take it very seriously, but I do love it  :lol

Love that little ending (piano under the drum groove), sounds a bit proggy.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: March 25, 2016, 03:47:12 AM »
Trivia:  their only appearance on the 'Tonight' show.  A shame that Johnny wasn't there, as Joe Garagiola and Barbara Walters are co-hosting.  RIP, Joe.

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #183 on: March 25, 2016, 08:38:12 AM »
Wow, I'm so not used to seeing pictures of them with other non-music people. Seeing pictures like the one above helps me remember they were not manufactured robots living in constant photoshoots, but actually human beings.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: May 08, 2017, 04:37:56 PM »
Man, in a few weeks, it will have been 70 years since Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play....
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #185 on: May 08, 2017, 04:46:27 PM »
Man, in a few weeks, it will have been 70 years since Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play....

50 years, not 70. It was released in 1967.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #186 on: May 08, 2017, 04:49:26 PM »

50 years, not 70. It was released in 1967.

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/beatles/sgtpepperslonelyheartsclubband.html

Let me help ya out...
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #187 on: May 08, 2017, 04:53:49 PM »
^^ Fair enough, didn't think of it that way :)

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #188 on: June 27, 2017, 02:01:34 PM »
Could someone please explain to me the appeal of I Am The Walrus? I always see it on "greatest" lists and I don't get it. Bunch of gibberish from Lennon and no decent melodies. Come Together is kind of similar in that but at least it has great bass and drums.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #189 on: June 27, 2017, 04:06:25 PM »
For one the lyrics are pretty great, it was kind of their response to people over analysing their lyrics: they responded by writing nonsense lyrics. But besides that I guess I Just really like the overall feel of the song, it's probably my second favourite Beatles song  :P
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #190 on: June 27, 2017, 06:51:43 PM »
I take the lyrics to I Am the Walrus as a stream of consciousness thing from someone who was doing some really good drugs. :lol :lol

I get why one wouldn't care for it very much, but I love it.  It just works.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #191 on: June 29, 2017, 06:31:57 PM »
I think with very few exceptions (Julia, maybe) most Lennon's work - even "Imagine" - has to be taken with at least a spoonful of "FUCK YOU" to it ("Imagine" being an F-U to the Establishment).   I take "I Am The  Walrus" in the same vein.    "Analyze us, will you?  Analyze THIS!"

Offline Mladen

« Reply #192 on: June 29, 2017, 11:41:38 PM »
I think with very few exceptions (Julia, maybe) most Lennon's work - even "Imagine" - has to be taken with at least a spoonful of "FUCK YOU" to it ("Imagine" being an F-U to the Establishment).   I take "I Am The  Walrus" in the same vein.    "Analyze us, will you?  Analyze THIS!"
This is exactly what it was, I think. Just teasing the people who tended to look really deep into John's lyrics. And he sure did play a good prank with them, since people were all over analyzing the song.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #193 on: April 04, 2018, 11:57:06 AM »
Thread Resurrection!!

On this day in 1964, The Beatles had the #1 Single in the U.S.: "Can't Buy Me Love"
They also had the #2 Single: "Love Me Do"
They also had the #3 Single: "Roll Over Beethoven"
They also had the #4 Single: "I Want to Hold Your Hand"
They also had the #5 Single: "Please Please Me"

That's right, the top five songs in the U.S. were all by the same band, The Beatles.  This had never been done before, and the way the music scene is fragmented these days, I'm certain that it will never be done again.  Unless someone comes up with a way to actually cause orgasms by listening to their music, or gives you money every time you download their songs, it's just not possible for a single band or artist to be so universally popular.

Side note: The Beatles had nine other singles in the Hot 100 chart, for a total of 14.

The Beatles

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #194 on: April 04, 2018, 12:20:29 PM »
Thread Resurrection!!

On this day in 1964, The Beatles had the #1 Single in the U.S.: "Can't Buy Me Love"
They also had the #2 Single: "Love Me Do"
They also had the #3 Single: "Roll Over Beethoven"
They also had the #4 Single: "I Want to Hold Your Hand"
They also had the #5 Single: "Please Please Me"

That's right, the top five songs in the U.S. were all by the same band, The Beatles.  This had never been done before, and the way the music scene is fragmented these days, I'm certain that it will never be done again.  Unless someone comes up with a way to actually cause orgasms by listening to their music, or gives you money every time you download their songs, it's just not possible for a single band or artist to be so universally popular.

Side note: The Beatles had nine other singles in the Hot 100 chart, for a total of 14.

The Beatles

:o :o :o

Wow... 14 singles in the Top 100?! That's practically a whole album for them. Who else could say they had a whole album's worth of songs in a top 100 of anything at any given point in their career?! Truly a milestone for them and in the music industry in general.

As for other artists with a lot of singles in the Top Charts, I remember reading that Ed Sheeran had a sizable number of singles in some charts last year when his last album came out. I wouldn't know the specifics as I don't listen to his music, but I doubt it was five-for-five in the Top 5.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #195 on: April 04, 2018, 02:25:01 PM »
Yeah, due to some funky streaming rules Sheeran had a ton of songs in the singles chart but given the different parameters these days it's nothing like as impressive as what The Beatles managed.

I'm not a huge fan of their early stuff generally; there are plenty of songs in there I like but Rubber Soul is the point at which they just reached another level IMO. Abbey Road in particular is as close to a perfect album as I can think of

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: October 06, 2018, 09:40:58 PM »
I just watched the Ron Howard documentary on the live Beatles, and man, was it good.   I'm a big Beatles fan, so some of the stuff was well known to me, but I loved seeing the little things; the clear fear and frustration by John "apologizing" for his "we're bigger than Jesus" quote.   The knowing looks they gave each other on stage at Shea that telegraphed the ridiculousness of the situation.   The warm smile - in what is widely believed to be the most tumultuous time in the band's history - from John to Paul during "Don't Let Me Down" on the rooftop...

This is must-watching if you're even a moderate Beatles fan.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #197 on: October 07, 2018, 01:46:20 AM »
I just watched the Ron Howard documentary on the live Beatles, and man, was it good.   I'm a big Beatles fan, so some of the stuff was well known to me, but I loved seeing the little things; the clear fear and frustration by John "apologizing" for his "we're bigger than Jesus" quote.   The knowing looks they gave each other on stage at Shea that telegraphed the ridiculousness of the situation.   The warm smile - in what is widely believed to be the most tumultuous time in the band's history - from John to Paul during "Don't Let Me Down" on the rooftop...

This is must-watching if you're even a moderate Beatles fan.

Is it available online somewhere? I'd really like to see the film.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #198 on: October 08, 2018, 07:01:02 AM »
Yeah, I watched it thinking that there couldn't be anything left to say about the Beatles, yet it managed to find a new perspective. Well worth seeing. 
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: October 08, 2018, 07:03:04 AM »
I have it on Blu-Ray, and it's a fine documentary.

Last week I pre-ordered the super deluxe edition of the White Album release in November. Can't wait :heart
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 07:32:44 AM by Zydar »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: October 08, 2018, 10:45:42 AM »
I think I'm going to bite on that too.  I'm not the hugest White Album fan - not that I DON'T like it, I just like what bookends it better - but I'm in for the Escher Demos alone.  They are by FAR my favorite part of the Anthology series and this is the complete set.

I didn't check though; is the extended Helter Skelter on there?   

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: October 08, 2018, 11:52:18 AM »
Not the 27 minutes version sadly, but the 12-13 minutes one.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
It was 57 years ago today
« Reply #202 on: June 06, 2019, 11:17:20 AM »
It was 57 years ago today

On This Day
June 6th
1962 - The Beatles

The first Beatles recording session took place at Abbey Road studios. The group recorded four tracks, one of which was 'Love Me Do'.
The four musicians received payments for the session of £7.10 ($12.07) each.

This is important because The Beatles and I were both "born" in 1962, and I didn't realize that until now.  Obviously they'd played together as The Beatles before now, live gigs and with some fluidity in the drumming department, but this is the day they first recorded together as The Beatles, including their first hit song.  Less than two months later, Orbert was born.  Coincidence?  Absolutely.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #203 on: June 06, 2019, 11:58:02 AM »
Haha, nice!

All hail the mop tops. :tup :tup

Offline Harmony

« Reply #204 on: June 20, 2019, 05:42:09 PM »
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #205 on: June 20, 2019, 05:55:31 PM »
:lol  Yeah, I've always kinda wondered about that.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #206 on: July 07, 2019, 05:09:01 AM »
I sing Good Night to my daughter nearly every night. And I have attempted a softer version of Golden Slumbers before.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #207 on: August 29, 2019, 04:42:59 AM »
Been on a bit of a Beatles kick recently, after attending a really interesting (if ludicrously over-priced - but hey, it was a gift) lecture at Abbey Road studios.

Rubber Soul in particular is even better than I remember, and might be my favourite even though it has very few of the big "hits" that everyone knows. I've also still got a soft spot for the White Album, which might be a bit bloated but again has so many cracking "deep cuts". Pretty much everything in between is really good too, if less consistent IMO (great songs on every album but some real duds too). Currently trying decide on how much I like Abbey Road and whether I should elevate it to make a holy trinity of my favourite Beatles albums.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #208 on: August 29, 2019, 06:23:50 AM »
Abbey Road will always be my favorite as it is perfect from start to finish; every song is a gem.

My other favorites all have a song or two I can do without, Taxman from Revolver, Getting Better from Sgt. Pepper, Revolution 9 from the White Album, etc.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #209 on: August 29, 2019, 07:01:02 AM »
Abbey Road will always be my favorite as it is perfect from start to finish; every song is a gem.
Giving it another listen and am inclined to pretty much agree. Not sure why I went slightly off it previously.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.