Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 435964 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #245 on: June 25, 2009, 04:49:57 PM »
I took a 24 hour Dream hiatus and spent some time with a boot from probably my favorite Iron Maiden tour, the Ed Hunter reunion tour. I spent last night and this morning watching the St. John, New brunswick show. This tour had a great setlist. I saw it in Boston at The Orpheum on 7-18-99. It was July and the air conditioning was broken and it was probably the hottest show I've ever seen.

This was the setlist:
Aces High
Wrathchild
The Trooper
2 Minutes To Midnight
The Clansman
Wasted Years
Killers
Futureal
Man On The Edge
Powerslave
Phantom Of The Opera
The Evil That Men Do
Fear Of The Dark
Iron Maiden
Number Of The Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Run To The Hills

:metal :metal :metal
EH tour was one of my favorites.  They hadn't regained their lost popularity yet so they played a 3k seat venue here.  Last time we'll get to see Maiden in intimate settings.  And the AC was out for our show as well. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #246 on: June 26, 2009, 06:27:21 AM »
The Ed Hunter show was so awesome. It was like, "so this is what's been missing in my life". I did see them in 92, but they hadn't done a proper US tour since early 1991, so it had basically been 8 years. And seeing them in a small place was very cool. The  Orpheum is a small stage, but big enough for their stage show and big enough for 'Arry to run around.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: June 29, 2009, 12:34:10 PM »
Thats pretty awesome, wish I got to see them in a smaller venue.  Most likely will never happen.

Offline weirdharold2112

• Level-21 Henchman
« Reply #248 on: July 01, 2009, 07:14:01 PM »
I took a 24 hour Dream hiatus and spent some time with a boot from probably my favorite Iron Maiden tour, the Ed Hunter reunion tour. I spent last night and this morning watching the St. John, New brunswick show. This tour had a great setlist. I saw it in Boston at The Orpheum on 7-18-99. It was July and the air conditioning was broken and it was probably the hottest show I've ever seen.

This was the setlist:
Aces High
Wrathchild
The Trooper
2 Minutes To Midnight
The Clansman
Wasted Years
Killers
Futureal
Man On The Edge
Powerslave
Phantom Of The Opera
The Evil That Men Do
Fear Of The Dark
Iron Maiden
Number Of The Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Run To The Hills

:metal :metal :metal
EH tour was one of my favorites.  They hadn't regained their lost popularity yet so they played a 3k seat venue here.  Last time we'll get to see Maiden in intimate settings.  And the AC was out for our show as well. 
3k venue?  Was it in Dallas?  If so... the late, great Bronco Bowl would be my guess.  Which is the last venue Dream Theater did a full-blown headlining show in Dallas.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #249 on: July 02, 2009, 07:44:26 AM »
I've been listening to Brave New World a lot recently and the song Out of the Silent Planet has vaulted out of my most hated Maiden songs.  It's achieved a tolerable status where I don't need to skip over it everytime it comes on......

That's my favourite song on my favourite album  :laugh:

Offline InstrumentalFiasco

« Reply #250 on: July 02, 2009, 07:45:23 PM »
Out of the Silent Planet rules
Sig removed for being too tall.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #251 on: July 02, 2009, 09:39:30 PM »
3k venue?  Was it in Dallas?  If so... the late, great Bronco Bowl would be my guess.  Which is the last venue Dream Theater did a full-blown headlining show in Dallas.
Late and great, indeed.  I really miss that place a lot.  All the cool venues here have been replaced by modern equivalents that just completely lack the "rock concert" charm.  I'd take Reunion over AAC any day.  HoB is a piss-poor substitute for the Arcadia.  Bronco Bowl is replaced by Nextstage, or whatever they call it this week.  All the old venues were places that your parents wouldn't feel comfortable leaving you at.  The new ones are all clean and sanitized.  It's gotten to the point that the shit-hole formerly known as Starplex is the only venue left with the slightest party vibe to it, and the glory days of setting the place on fire are long since gone. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline weirdharold2112

• Level-21 Henchman
« Reply #252 on: July 03, 2009, 10:43:33 PM »
Late and great, indeed.  I really miss that place a lot.  All the cool venues here have been replaced by modern equivalents that just completely lack the "rock concert" charm.  I'd take Reunion over AAC any day.  HoB is a piss-poor substitute for the Arcadia.  Bronco Bowl is replaced by Nextstage, or whatever they call it this week.  All the old venues were places that your parents wouldn't feel comfortable leaving you at.  The new ones are all clean and sanitized.  It's gotten to the point that the shit-hole formerly known as Starplex is the only venue left with the slightest party vibe to it, and the glory days of setting the place on fire are long since gone. 
Ditto on Reunion > AAC.

And you can't pay me to attend 99% of the shows at Starplex/Smirnoff/VodkaPlex/Superpages.com Center.  An amphitheater in Texas is a bloody stupid idea.  The majority of its season the temperature is at least 95 degrees at any given concert start time, and most likely over 100 degrees.

I guess my favorite D/FW venue is now the Ridglea Theatre in Fort Worth.  It's an old-school venue and holds about a 1000 people.  The last 2-3 years I've seen headliners such as Therion, Spock's Beard, Symphony X, DragonForce & Iced Earth there...

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #253 on: July 13, 2009, 01:57:49 PM »
Only have one of Maiden's albums, Piece of Mind.  It's pretty awesome, and I hope to get more soon...

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #254 on: July 13, 2009, 02:45:54 PM »
DO IT

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #255 on: July 13, 2009, 02:55:35 PM »
I've decided to revisit Maiden's discography this week. Thus far I've listened to Iron Maiden and Killers, two good records. :metal
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #256 on: July 13, 2009, 03:44:09 PM »
I've decided to revisit Maiden's discography this week. Thus far I've listened to Iron Maiden and Killers, two good records. :metal
Classics!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #257 on: July 13, 2009, 05:29:34 PM »
Up the irons!
Even tho i've kinda grown out of classic metal, and more into the prog, Maiden will still have a very special place in my heart.
They're one of the bands i feel have released only good material, and their worst songs are still not below 'average'.
The Legacy from AMOLAD, really showed me that these guys can surprise you.
One of their best songs imo.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: July 14, 2009, 12:56:55 PM »
Up the irons!
Even tho i've kinda grown out of classic metal, and more into the prog, Maiden will still have a very special place in my heart.
They're one of the bands i feel have released only good material, and their worst songs are still not below 'average'.
The Legacy from AMOLAD, really showed me that these guys can surprise you.
One of their best songs imo.

Well your progression from classic metal to progressive metal kind of fits Maiden's progression as well.

The Legacy is my favorite Maiden song since the 80s.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: July 14, 2009, 01:36:10 PM »
I honestly don't understand the love the Legacy gets.  I don't really like it that much.  For the Greater Good of God, to me, is a much better song.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #260 on: July 14, 2009, 02:13:30 PM »
I honestly don't understand the love the Legacy gets.  I don't really like it that much.  For the Greater Good of God, to me, is a much better song.
FTGGOG is great, as is Lord Of Light, but the Legacy is a great Maiden song. It was one of my early faves from the album. It has a real Black Sabbath influence, and I think that appeals to a lot of people.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #261 on: July 14, 2009, 02:43:11 PM »

I'd say The Legacy is one of maidens more progressive songs, and what i love about it is the chorus (that is one of maidens best imo), the orchestra-intro and the lyrics.
In fact, the lyrics are one of the best maiden have written post-1988. imo :)

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #262 on: July 14, 2009, 03:20:14 PM »
The Legacy is my favourite Iron Maiden song. Musically, it's very, very strong, it features some of Steve Harris's best lyrics, and every member delivers a very good performance (thankfully, there's no useless shredfest by Janick).

In general, AMOLAD contains a damn good four-in-a-row punch (from The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg to The Legacy); Lord Of Light is an amazing song as well.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #263 on: July 15, 2009, 08:02:21 AM »
Adrian's solo in Lord of Light = win
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #264 on: July 15, 2009, 10:48:15 AM »
I'm listening to No Prayer for the Dying. For some reason, it gets so much shit, but it doesn't sound way beneath their early stuff. It's not as good, but it's not completely worthless. It's decent.

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #265 on: July 15, 2009, 10:56:39 AM »
I'm listening to No Prayer for the Dying. For some reason, it gets so much shit, but it doesn't sound way beneath their early stuff. It's not as good, but it's not completely worthless. It's decent.

Agreed. The only Maiden album that I just cannot listen to is Fear of the Dark, which ironically has some great songs (Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Fear of the Dark, etc). It just sucks as an album, even compared to the so-called crap albums from the Blaze era.
Actually, the Blaze era albums are good albums with one or two bits that aren't great, whereas FotD is a bad album with one or two great moments.
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #266 on: July 15, 2009, 11:12:06 AM »

Completely agreed. I don't care much for Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter, Mother Russia and Assassin, but the rest ranks from decent to very good. I think its problem is just that it's the direct successor of SSOASS.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: July 15, 2009, 12:38:07 PM »

Agreed. The only Maiden album that I just cannot listen to is Fear of the Dark, which ironically has some great songs (Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Fear of the Dark, etc). It just sucks as an album, even compared to the so-called crap albums from the Blaze era.
Actually, the Blaze era albums are good albums with one or two bits that aren't great, whereas FotD is a bad album with one or two great moments.

I agree with your thoughts on the Blaze albums and FOTD.  For me, this applies to No Prayer for the Dying as well though.  My bottom four Maiden albums are:

Virtual 11
No Prayer for the Dying
Fear of the Dark
X Factor

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #268 on: July 15, 2009, 01:41:22 PM »
Just listened to AMOLAD for the first time in ages, really solid album. I liked it when it came out but wasn't overawed by it, I guess because it didn't really take the BNW/DOD sound any further, but listening back now it's a good album with a couple of really awesome songs.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #269 on: July 15, 2009, 01:51:54 PM »

Completely agreed. I don't care much for Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter, Mother Russia and Assassin, but the rest ranks from decent to very good. I think its problem is just that it's the direct successor of SSOASS.

Well, the album certainly has its moments, but it is very weak as a whole. I was expecting something a little better after the band took an extended break.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #270 on: July 15, 2009, 02:33:55 PM »
On a related note;  Has anyone seen that version of The Trooper with Blaze where some dude starts spitting on Steve?  Its amazing!  Check it out if you haven't, I think its called 'Blaze gets mad' or something. 

And, boy does he sing that song badly or what?!  Its amazing they still played that song when its cleary outside of Blaze's range, and he can hardly remember the lyrics "AND A RUSSIAN TAKES ANOTHER BITE!"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #271 on: July 15, 2009, 02:37:58 PM »
It's a great video.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #272 on: July 15, 2009, 03:15:46 PM »
Yeah, Blaze doesn't exactly look like he couldn't kick somebody's ass.  I'm don't think I'd want any part of the guy.  And damn, what a terrible performance.  Blaze isn't gonna sing the Trooper real well on a good night, but damn. 

As for NPftD, and FotD, I usually skip over both of them.  I'll occasionally listen to Run Silent Run Deep and the AtSS, but that's about it. 
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #273 on: July 15, 2009, 04:36:17 PM »
Yeah, Blaze doesn't exactly look like he couldn't kick somebody's ass.  I'm don't think I'd want any part of the guy.  And damn, what a terrible performance.  Blaze isn't gonna sing the Trooper real well on a good night, but damn. 

As for NPftD, and FotD, I usually skip over both of them.  I'll occasionally listen to Run Silent Run Deep and the AtSS, but that's about it. 

RSRD actually contains Maiden's only mosh.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #274 on: July 15, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »
Just listened to AMOLAD for the first time in ages, really solid album. I liked it when it came out but wasn't overawed by it, I guess because it didn't really take the BNW/DOD sound any further, but listening back now it's a good album with a couple of really awesome songs.

This, except that I think it's the best thing they've put out since SSOASS. Not to say that the albums in between those two weren't totally amazing.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

« Reply #275 on: July 15, 2009, 11:04:59 PM »
Maiden are the best, I own every album by them even the Blaze era, not that there amazing but I was obsessed for a bit...My favorite albums are probably Piece of Mind, Somewhere in Time and Brave new World.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #276 on: July 16, 2009, 08:00:17 AM »
I don't understand what the deal is with No Prayer either.  It's a good album, with some very bright spots.

Fear of the Dark is the only Maiden album I cannot listen through.  Virtual XI comes close.

I really think that if better decisions had been made in the Blaze era, those two albums (especially the X Factor) could've been great.  Honestly, when you compare Blaze's vocals on those two with that of his solo albums, it's like day and night.  Completely different.  I really feel that his voice wasn't utilized properly on those albums.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #277 on: July 16, 2009, 08:46:59 AM »
Today, I'm listening to Fear of the Dark. Now this thing straight-up sucks.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #278 on: July 16, 2009, 09:42:12 AM »
I think Fear Of The Dark is MUCH stronger than No Prayer.

What I DO like about No Prayer is:
The Title Track….A Top 15 Maiden song for me. Outstanding!
Public Enema Number One- A great song even with its horrid title
Run Silent Run Deep- One of my favorite choruses and a great “mosh” part. The verses are just OK.
Fates Warning- Great vocal melody in the verses
The Assasin- Hey, I like it!
Kill Me Ce Soir- A Top 5 B side!

What I don’t like about it is:
Hooks In You...WTF is this?
Mother Russia..ditto
BYDTTS…musically a great song, but the chorus is just queer.
A distinct lack of Adrian Smith. Bruce still sounds like he’s in Tattooed Millionaire land, as the album just lacks a certain seriousness that is typically prevalent on a Maiden album.

Holy Smoke and Tailgunner are both extremely average in my book. The stripped down sound just does not fit Maiden, and is one of the same problems that they ran into on The X Factor and  Vitrual IX.

I will say, that the No Prayer tour was freaking awesome. The stripped down stage definitely worked for them, like playing a huge club show. It’s one of my favorite tours by them (hell, they’re all great!). I loved how they played 22 Acacia Avenue and Hallowed Be Thy Name so early in the set, and Jannick’s energy really had a profound influence on the band, especially Dave.

As far as Fear Of The Dark goes, it definitely suffers from trying to cram so much on a CD. It’s 3 or 4 songs too long, but it’s top 7  songs are very strong. Very strong.
Be Quick Or Be Dead
Afraid To Shoot Strangers
Fear Is The Key
Childhood’s End
Wasting Love
The Fugitive
Fear Of The Dark

This album just sounds much more put together, although there are some inferior songs included, but I’d take the top 7 songs from Fear Of The Dark, and put them up against the top 7 from most of their albums. I can tell you, living through it was that I was very relieved when Fear came out, because it was like, OK, now Maiden’s back!

« Reply #279 on: July 16, 2009, 12:09:06 PM »
Maiden were in top form from Beast till 7th Son. Just 5 amazing albums in a row, the first 2 are good but they can't compare with the middle 5. Something went very wrong with No Prayer and FOTD. Bruce sounds terrible on both albums, the song writing feels shallow and have horrible production.

The Goods though on No Prayer
1. The first 3 songs are all good, a little cheesy(Holy Smoke) but good, Title Track is classic.
2. Mother Russia
The Goods on FOTD
1.First 6 songs are all great and the Title track, everything else is complete horseshit.

Weekend Warrior makes me nausious everytime along with The Apparition, The Fugitive, Chains of Misery(ugh).

XFactor/Virtual Xi are much better then the last 2 bruce albums.

Brave new World, Dance of Death and AMOLAD are up there with the 5 classic 80s albums to me.