Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436024 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #2100 on: November 09, 2010, 02:29:15 PM »
As much as I love Satellite 15... Final Frontier, the editing on the drums during the intro is really starting to annoy me.

It's one of the most pathetic editing jobs I've ever heard, if not the worst.  I don't understand how this was acceptable, it's just a joke.  I thought my cd was fucked the first time I was listening to it.  Disgusting.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2101 on: November 09, 2010, 02:40:51 PM »
I thought it was just the way H recorded/sequenced it in his demo?  I don't really think it works well as an opener anyway.  It's very similar to how Bruce's last 3 solo albums start, with a slow/subtle interlude, I was never a fan of that.  Props to them for trying something new and out there though, thats quite a feat for any band THIRTY years into their career, let alone Iron 'VI-VII-I' Maiden :lol

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #2102 on: November 09, 2010, 02:46:15 PM »
Well, as long as they make good music then I'll be satisfied. But there are only a handful of songs that I liked on TFF. There's still 11 awesome albums by Maiden to dig through though, so I'll give them a pass.  :tup
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2103 on: November 09, 2010, 02:51:36 PM »
It's very similar to how Bruce's last 3 solo albums start, with a slow/subtle interlude, I was never a fan of that.

Sorry to pull you up on this but;

Tyranny of Souls - Mars Within  :tup
Chemical Wedding - King in Crimson  ???
Accident of Birth - Freak  ??? ???

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2104 on: November 09, 2010, 03:13:16 PM »
It's very similar to how Bruce's last 3 solo albums start, with a slow/subtle interlude, I was never a fan of that.

Tyranny of Souls - Mars Within  :tup
Chemical Wedding - King in Crimson  ???
Accident of Birth - Freak  ??? ???

Hahaha no don't be sorry.  I was meaning Mars Within and Toltec 7 Arrival (which isn't an opener, I know  :facepalm:) from AoB.  I've been failing a lot lately...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2105 on: November 09, 2010, 03:31:59 PM »

Hahaha no don't be sorry.  I was meaning Mars Within and Toltec 7 Arrival (which isn't an opener, I know  :facepalm:) from AoB.  I've been failing a lot lately...
Sneak..don't worry, we (I at least) knew what you were trying to say.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2106 on: November 09, 2010, 03:38:06 PM »
What do ya'll mean when you say Satellite 15...The Final Frontier editing? The bass drum?

And also, I NEED MORE UNITED STATES DATES!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2107 on: November 09, 2010, 03:39:03 PM »
What do ya'll mean when you say Satellite 15...The Final Frontier editing? The bass drum?

The drum editing in the double kick part

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2108 on: November 09, 2010, 03:40:32 PM »
Oh, alright, that's what I thought.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2109 on: November 09, 2010, 04:14:27 PM »

Sneak..don't worry, we (I at least) knew what you were trying to say.

Yeah, I knew too  ;D  Toltec 7 is AMAZING!!!!

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #2110 on: November 11, 2010, 06:00:11 AM »
UK dates, which are the final dates for the tour, are as follows:

JULY
Wed 20 Scotland, Glasgow SECC
Thu 21 Scotland, Aberdeen AECC P&J Arena
Sat 23 England, Newcastle Metro Radio Arena
Sun 24 England, Sheffield Motorpoint Arena
Wed 27 England, Nottingham Trent FM Arena
Thu 28 England, Manchester MEN Arena
Sun 31 England, Birmingham NIA

AUGUST
Mon 1 Wales, Cardiff CIA Arena
Wed 3 Northern Ireland, Belfast Odyssey
Fri 5    England, London O2 Arena

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2111 on: November 11, 2010, 06:11:20 AM »

The drum editing in the double kick part

I still have no idea.

OH WAIT I hear it now. Yeah that's pretty bizarre.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2112 on: November 11, 2010, 06:53:06 AM »
Well that definitely sucks...Why do a f##king US tour and play one song from the new album?? I'm really bummed. I freaking love The Final Frontier and ..I don't know. I'm real frustrated.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2113 on: November 11, 2010, 06:57:30 AM »
Is Scotland anywhere near Raleigh, NC or Boston? :neverusethis:

But I understand the frustration TAC.  I'd love to see Maiden, even though I'm not huge on the final frontier, but I think that US tour was to make up for the lack of US dates on the past few tours.  One of these days they'll do another US tour or maybe actually go south of Virginia :(

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #2114 on: November 11, 2010, 07:45:05 AM »
North America got 16 more shows than the last album tour. 

While I agree that they should've toured the album over in North America, lets face it: they simply aren't as popular in the U.S. as they are in the rest of the world.  I think it's pretty hard to argue that Boston or Raleigh deserves it more than Bali or Seoul.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2115 on: November 11, 2010, 08:01:44 AM »
It could be Atlanta.  I'd be down with that.

And I'm sure they're still pretty damn popular here.  Maybe the fans aren't as crazy as the ones in Europe or South America, but there are tons of Maiden fans over here.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2116 on: November 11, 2010, 08:03:13 AM »

While I agree that they should've toured the album over in North America, lets face it: they simply aren't as popular in the U.S. as they are in the rest of the world.  I think it's pretty hard to argue that Boston or Raleigh deserves it more than Bali or Seoul.
Well, I'm not argueing anything, really, other than to say that I'm very bummed out. My days of scooting down to NY for a show went out a long time ago. Hey, Boston did get one of the AMOLAD shows(of course we were away on vacation..). I was hoping that Mansfield would've gotten a show last year, especially in lioght of Rod saying it was one of the 3 top US crowds of the SBiT tour.

Iron Maiden's pretty much been my favorite band since I was 14, that's close to 30 years, but they do some things that really bug me. And doing larger  "off" album tours than proper album tours is one of them.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #2117 on: November 11, 2010, 08:18:47 AM »

And I'm sure they're still pretty damn popular here.  Maybe the fans aren't as crazy as the ones in Europe or South America, but there are tons of Maiden fans over here.

That's not as ridicuously far, I like it.  :tup

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #2118 on: November 11, 2010, 08:51:32 AM »

Dude I'd be down for that, I live in Georgia!

Iron Maiden hasn't toured Atlanta since like 1998 though  :(

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #2119 on: November 11, 2010, 10:11:04 AM »
Boston always goes over well. The Somewhere Back in Time tour was nuts. This is a real disappointment, as I didn't make the trip to NY, so it will be a long friggin' time till I get to see them again.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2120 on: November 11, 2010, 01:41:43 PM »

I think that's half right.  They're certainly popular enough to warrant a tour.  If I thought they were blowing off America because they want to play 30k seat venues instead of 17k, I'd be pretty pissed off about it.  I don't think their popularity here is the issue so much as the quality of their audiences.  When they play here, 50% of the crowd is the die-hard Maiden fans like all of us, and the other half of it are wannabes.  People who just want to here RttH and NotB, and people who got tickets because they were blowing the promoter or were the 18th caller (the VIP fucktards who get all the best seats up front, BTW).  These are the people who bitch and moan because they played all of AMoLaD or stuff from the last three albums instead of yet another rendition of Trooper.  Frankly,  considering the bitching and moaning they get about it,  I'm happy they bother to come here at all.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2121 on: November 11, 2010, 01:55:31 PM »
Why would they do that? Doing a tour and playing only one new song before the album comes out it pretty lame. I was so hoping to see them play the full album.  :(

This makes me a very sad panda.  :sadpanda:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 02:05:39 PM by glaurung »
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2122 on: November 11, 2010, 02:39:13 PM »
I'm bummed too... but I'm not one to complain; I saw them with Dream Theater at Madison Square Garden and got the event shirt, and it was an awesome concert. I just want them to come here again for the selfish reason of seeing them again.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #2123 on: November 11, 2010, 02:44:21 PM »
I suppose there's always a chance of a short NA tour a la Dance of Death, but there's certainly been no indication of one as of yet.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2124 on: November 11, 2010, 02:47:13 PM »
I wonder why Iron Maiden played the Hammerstein Ballroom on the Dance Of Death Tour... it holds 2,500 people. But they scheduled four consecutive shows there (only played three of them).

It's similar to Pink Floyd's The Wall Tour in that they play multiple nights in New York, then go to Los Angeles for another multiple-night stay.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2125 on: November 11, 2010, 03:44:54 PM »
Why would they do that? Doing a tour and playing only one new song before the album comes out it pretty lame. I was so hoping to see them play the full album.  :(

This makes me a very sad panda.  :sadpanda:
Because the majority of American audiences, unlike us, don't want to hear the new album.  They want to hear a greatest hits set.  When they did play a whole album here, people bitched and moaned about it.  

Edit:  That's the whole point of Guineapig's avatar.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2126 on: November 11, 2010, 04:20:59 PM »
Didn't they say something like "plenty" or "many more" dates to be announced. Does the 10 UK shows counts as "many more".
My fingers are still crossed for a brief US tour in May and June. Seems like they have a break there.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #2127 on: November 11, 2010, 04:22:12 PM »
Two Florida dates this tour  :biggrin:

last year's Maiden show in Sunrise was the first time they played Florida in like 15 years, so I'm glad to see that they're back for more :p
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #2128 on: November 11, 2010, 04:27:03 PM »
Didn't they say something like "plenty" or "many more" dates to be announced. Does the 10 UK shows counts as "many more".
My fingers are still crossed for a brief US tour in May and June. Seems like they have a break there.

With respect to the European tour.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2129 on: November 11, 2010, 10:59:49 PM »
Well I may have to make a trip somewhere (florida most likely) if they dont announce any more US dates.  It would really stink to miss an album tour when you know IM most likely wont play some of those songs ever again, even if TFF isn't one of thier best albums.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #2130 on: November 12, 2010, 09:01:23 AM »
I love TFF.  The thing about this album is that it's not quite 100% pure "metal".   It's more a hybrid of 70's-style hard rock and 80's metal, blending in cool touches of Hendrix and Deep Purple.  And the overall sound on the album is suggestive of classic Wishbone Ash and UFO, loose and spontaneous.  If anything, this 'throwback' trend has made Maiden's music more interesting to me than ever.    :metal
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #2131 on: November 12, 2010, 09:48:04 AM »
I've listened to this album in full about 5 times already.

I've managed to be able to enjoy the first half of the album, but the 2nd half is just so boring for me every time I press through it. Sorry, this one is far from Maiden's best for me.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2132 on: November 12, 2010, 10:16:55 AM »
The Talisman would like to have a word with you.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #2133 on: November 12, 2010, 10:29:25 AM »
Whenever I decide to give TFF yet ANOTHER chance I'll try to remember to pay more attention to The Talisman.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2134 on: November 12, 2010, 10:30:03 AM »
Don't give the whole album another chance, its not worth it.  Just listen to The Talisman by itself.