Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436419 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #1995 on: October 30, 2010, 07:12:46 PM »
Oh, quick question.  What exactly should I listen for?

Everything Maiden is epic.  Just listen and you will see.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1996 on: October 30, 2010, 07:13:28 PM »
Oh, quick question.  What exactly should I listen for?  I know that may seem like a silly question, but it totally affects the way I listen to a band...for example with DT, you listen to the groovy drum riffs in the background, even though they aren't necessarily melodic or even prominent at times.  Or with Pink Floyd, you listen to the bass.  With Queen, you listen to the vocals.  You know what I'm saying?  Hope that makes sense!  :lol
Listen for the awesome transition between Aces High and 2 Minutes to Midnight.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #1997 on: October 30, 2010, 07:14:16 PM »

Everything Maiden is epic.  Just listen and you will see.
This.
If you aren't headbanging and singing along to Aces High, something is wrong with you.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1998 on: October 30, 2010, 07:15:41 PM »

Oh, quick question.  What exactly should I listen for?

For a more specific answer, listen to the sharply contrasting styles of lead guitar.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 07:30:29 PM by GuineaPig »
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1999 on: October 30, 2010, 07:29:08 PM »

For a more specific answer, listen to the sharply contrasting styles of lead guitar.

Maiden's been a top 3 band of mine for about 6 years, and, honestly, I've never been able to pick out the guitarists from one another. I don't know who is playing what. What makes it worse is I even play guitar.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #2000 on: October 30, 2010, 07:31:05 PM »
I find it extremely easy to distinguish.  I could probably identify the vast majority of solos off the top of my head.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2001 on: October 30, 2010, 07:44:28 PM »
I find it kind of hard to distinguish as well.  I can definitely pick out Janick's solos (I think), but that doesn't matter because the best Maiden guitar solo is played by Dave Murray on Powerslave.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2002 on: October 30, 2010, 07:46:06 PM »
I like the guitar solos, I've just never even thought about identifying who was playing what.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #2003 on: October 30, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
I could understand not identifying who's who if they all played with similar lead tones, but come on.  If need be I can go over every solo in Maiden's discography to show you the characteristics of each player :biggrin:

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2004 on: October 30, 2010, 07:48:58 PM »
It would probably be easier to distinguish who does what solo if I knew what style belonged to each player. Could you give a couple examples of solos from each guitarist?
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2005 on: October 30, 2010, 07:52:11 PM »
Just listened to Aces High...I quite enjoyed the tempo pick-up in about the middle of the song.  So far, things are looking good.  :metal

In fact, it reminds me of Raw Dog's tempo change...
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2006 on: October 30, 2010, 07:56:14 PM »
I could understand not identifying who's who if they all played with similar lead tones, but come on.  If need be I can go over every solo in Maiden's discography to show you the characteristics of each player :biggrin:

I hear that there are different styles and especially tones, I've just never bothered figuring out who is who. But go ahead. It's something I SHOULD know. Maybe you can just pick one album and go over that.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #2007 on: October 30, 2010, 08:25:04 PM »
It would probably be easier to distinguish who does what solo if I knew what style belonged to each player. Could you give a couple examples of solos from each guitarist?

Adrian Smith: Probably the easiest of the three to recognize.  Favours a soloing style that is well structured, featuring carefully phrased elements that frequently draw from a number of different styles.  Plays the "slowest" of the three, but is not averse to short sections of quick playing, but rarely shreds.  The only guitarist in Maiden to use sweeps with any regularity.  Since Somewhere in Time he has been fond of including two-hand tapping in his solos, and does it the most of all three Maiden guitarists.  Extremely melodic approach to lead guitar playing, definitely a quality over quantity type of player.  Very precise and deliberate.

His guitar sound typically favours a more earthy, hard-rock sound on earlier Maiden, with touches of wah, delay, and reverb added post-Powerslave.  Ever since his return to the music business with Psycho Motel, his solo sound has been very consistent and identifiable.  He never plays on any pick-up except the bridge pick-up.

Good solo examples: "Stranger in a Strange Land", "The Wicker Man", "Paschendale" (second)

Dave Murray: Dave utilizes a legato style.  He very rarely shreds; almost all his fast playing sounds fluid and clean due to his utilization of pull-ons and pull-offs, accentuated by his frequent use of the neck pick-up.  He has a much slicker sound, with less "crunch" to it than the other two guitarists.  He uses two-hand tapping occasionally, but less often than Adrian.  Tends to combine bends with pull-ons and pull-offs.  Very quick with his left hand, but uses his right hand very sparingly, preferring to keep the solo fluid.

Good solo examples: "Number of the Beast" (first), "Powerslave" (first and third), "Brave New World" (second)

Janick Gers: An underrated guitarist in my opinion.  Likes to play fast and dirty, sort of in a Blackmore/Page style of way.  Has a dirty guitar sound with lots of bite.  He is the fastest Maiden guitar player, and is the only one who shreds with any sort of frequency.  Uses neck and bridge pick-ups while soloing, but prefers the latter.  While he does love the fast solos, he also writes some of the slowest Maiden solos that rest for a long time on single notes to build tension.  His preferred scale is the pentatonic, and usually any improvisation he does is based upon that scale.  Although a versatile player, he never incorporates any tapping.

Good solo examples: "Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter", "Blood Brothers" (second), "Dance of Death" (third)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 03:14:03 PM by GuineaPig »

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2008 on: October 30, 2010, 08:27:44 PM »
Great, great post. :clap:
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #2009 on: October 30, 2010, 08:29:12 PM »
Great, great post. :clap:

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one that appreciates Gers.  :tup

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #2010 on: October 30, 2010, 09:05:44 PM »
I could understand not identifying who's who if they all played with similar lead tones, but come on.  If need be I can go over every solo in Maiden's discography to show you the characteristics of each player :biggrin:

I hear that there are different styles and especially tones, I've just never bothered figuring out who is who. But go ahead. It's something I SHOULD know. Maybe you can just pick one album and go over that.

I'll go through Brave New World, as it sounds like you know it well enough.

The Wicker Man:

-2:14/3:10: Adrian Smith.  Listen to the way the solo, in each section, builds up (or down) to a specific point.  It also features at 2:47 a scale that he uses a lot on runs, typically to finish solos.

Ghost of the Navigator:

-4:35/5:03: Janick Gers.  A very shreddy solo; as I mentioned before, he has a real bite to his guitar tone, which makes the switches between neck and bridge pick-up more noticeable.  His solos are less constrained by structure than the other two guitarists; the time signature often has no real bearing on when (or where) his phrasings will start or end.

Brave New World:

-3:59/4:33: Janick Gers.  Another solo that's pretty quick.  He likes to pick a certain note, bend it, and then shred around it (usually with the pentatonic scale).  Also, it features another one of his trademarks, long pauses on bends.  Just interesting that he combined it with one of his faster solos.
- 4:33/4:48: Dave Murray.  This solo is done entirely on the neck pick-up, and you can tell.  It sounds very smooth and clean.  The solos itself is extremely fast, yet fluid; he likely only needs to pick the string around 20 times to play this solo.

Blood Brothers:

-3:11/3:25: Dave Murray.  Another one done on the neck pick-up.  Still lots of legato.
-5:45/6:11: Janick Gers.  An uncharacteristically slow one.  This one's actually quite similar to the sort of style Adrian uses, but a lot less structured.  I like how it wanders.  A great one.

The Mercenary:

-3:02/3:20: Dave Murray.  Not much to say here; it's quick, fluid.  It employs something he does a lot: quick alternations of high Es and other notes on the first string.
-3:21/3:37: Adrian Smith.  Another weird one; sort of uncharacteristic for him to use such hurried phasing.  But the way it builds into a high note, which is then bent to finish is very typical.

This song is very strange in that it's one of the very few in Maiden's catalogue where the writing guitarist does not get a solo.  This has to do with the origin of the song.

Dream of Mirrors:

-7:25/7:47: Janick Gers.  Blackmore influences are on clear display here.  A habit of his at 7:44: he employs a pattern of notes that is then immediately repeated at a higher pitch.

The Fallen Angel

-2:35/2:49: Adrian Smith.  The difference in guitar tones is on full display on this song.  Listen to the slight touches of wah, delay, and reverb on Smith's guitar that makes it stand out.
-2:49/3:02: Dave Murray.  This contains a good example of another habit: he likes to "meander" in between fast sections by playing in a very confined range of pitches while repeating lots of notes.
-3:03/3:16: Janick Gers.  Gotta love how dirty his guitar sounds, especially exploding out of the clean sound of Murray.

The Nomad

-2:56/3:11: Adrian Smith.  Likes to use the whammy bar, which is shown off here.  
-3:19/3:33: Janick Gers.  Shredding and tone set him apart, again.
-3:34/3:49: Dave Murray.  Lots of legato in this one, which is helpful because his sound his a lot more chunky on this one.

Out of the Silent Planet

-3:51/4:20: Janick Gers.  Another one of his slower ones.  It's a good example of how his slow work differs from that of Adrian's; it's far less constrained by structure or time signature.  It wanders from one place to another, rather than adopting a strict meter.  Great stuff.

The Thin Line Between Love and Hate

I'm not going to bother timestamping these solos.  There are four of them and they're all Dave Murray.  Some great guitar work on this track; he gets down into a sort of dirty blues feel on some of the solos.  In doing this, he actually sounds a lot like Janick in some cases, but I'm still pretty sure they're all Dave's.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 09:18:47 PM by GuineaPig »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2011 on: October 30, 2010, 10:58:49 PM »
Damn fascinating.  Good job.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2012 on: October 30, 2010, 11:12:58 PM »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2013 on: October 31, 2010, 10:35:54 AM »
Thanks GP. I literally listened to the whole album. I'm not sure I'd be able to pick out who is who on another album and be 100 percent correct based on my knowledge, but I definitely have a better idea of who is who. Now and could probably give guessing a decent shot. Hell, why not:

Wildest Dreams: Adrian
Rainmaker: Dave
No More Lies: 4:50- Dave 5:10- Adrian

Let me just try that...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 10:42:52 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #2014 on: October 31, 2010, 02:05:05 PM »
I think a lot of Iron Maiden "fans" who say it's awful haven't even listened to it, and they are just saying that because it is a different singer (who is actually quite good.)

And I've probably said before, but Sign of the Cross is a   :hefdaddy song!
He's good on other material, but not on Maiden songs.

Also, Sign of the Cross does nothing for me.

Paul Di'Anno I like though. His voice works for me so it's not a case of 'Dur hur I don't like anything not Bruce.' I just don't particularly care for that part of their career (NPftD -> VXI).

I've listened to the X Factor, and I really just don't like Blaze's voice.  I'm not sure why people like it.  Same with Paul Di'Anno.  There are some great songs on the first two albums, but it doesn't matter because Bruce can actually sing.  I didn't find any redeeming songs on the X Factor either. 
"Killers" is my favorite Di'Anno track, but he sounds good on a lot of songs (IMO).

Stuff

Awesome posts. :tup

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #2015 on: October 31, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »

Correct.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #2016 on: October 31, 2010, 03:14:37 PM »

Correct.
Question, how in the world are you able to tell all that stuff? Like, did you study music theory for 20 years?  :lol

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #2017 on: October 31, 2010, 03:16:40 PM »
I just find it easy to figure out what's what by their playing style and guitar sound.  If you watch a live DVD, and can visually see who is playing what, it's pretty easy imo to establish a pattern for the rest of their discography.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2018 on: October 31, 2010, 06:57:57 PM »
Yeah, I'm glad I was correct. And it's not really hard to tell. Dave Murray is really, really distinct most of the time-- he's probably one of the most unique lead guitarists around. So you can always tell if its him or one of the other guys. Telling between Gers and Smith can be confusing, but usually either Smith's flash (wah and wham) or his melodicness gives it away. Some parts of his solos sound like early ideas for lead parts.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2019 on: October 31, 2010, 07:38:35 PM »
So now that we know they're announcing more dates and with the Florida date already leaked for April, hopefully they come back to New York/New Jersey. On the Somewhere Back In Time tour, they played Izod Center in New Jersey on the first leg, and Madison Square Garden in New York on the second leg, so maybe they're reversing it this time. In any case, I hope they come back over here, and don't see why they wouldn't. :birch:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:08:04 AM by Birch Boy »

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #2020 on: November 01, 2010, 04:20:18 AM »
So now that we know they're announcing more dates and with the Florida date already leaked for April, hopefully they come back to New York/New Jersey. On the Somewhere Back In Time tour, they played Izod Center in New Jersey on the first leg, and Madison Square Garden in new York on the second leg, so maybe they're reversing it this time. In any case, I hope they come back over here, and don't see why they wouldn't. :birch:
Wait, they're hitting up florida? That leaked? I might have to go make a road trip if that's the case....

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2021 on: November 01, 2010, 04:33:02 AM »
Thumbs up for GuineaPig for his posts about guitar solos. I couldn't put it better myself. :tup

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2022 on: November 01, 2010, 05:19:19 AM »
I could understand not identifying who's who if they all played with similar lead tones, but come on.  If need be I can go over every solo in Maiden's discography to show you the characteristics of each player :biggrin:
This song is very strange in that it's one of the very few in Maiden's catalogue where the writing guitarist does not get a solo.  This has to do with the origin of the song.

This has always amazed me, I'd love to know the reason behind it.  I think it's the only song that doesn't include a solo by a guitar songwriter

The Thin Line Between Love and Hate

I'm not going to bother timestamping these solos.  There are four of them and they're all Dave Murray.  Some great guitar work on this track; he gets down into a sort of dirty blues feel on some of the solos.  In doing this, he actually sounds a lot like Janick in some cases, but I'm still pretty sure they're all Dave's.

I remember on the old Maiden forums about debate on the last solo.  Some people were convinced it was Janick.  It does really sound like Janick in the note choices and phrases but I am also convinced it is Dave.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2023 on: November 01, 2010, 05:31:35 AM »
Amazing work from Guinea Pig.  Here's TFF credits for anyone interested;

Satellite 15 - Fills: Adrian
Final Frontier - Adrian/Dave
El Dorado - Adrian/Dave/Janick
Mother of Mercy - Adrian
Coming Home - Dave/Adrian
The Alchemist - Janick
Isle of Avalon - Dave/Adrian
Starblind - All fills: Adrian.  Solo after 1st chorus: Adrian.  Middle: Adrian/Dave/Janick
The Talisman - Janick
The Man That Would Be King - Intro and outro fills: Dave.  Middle impro: Dave
When the Wild Winds Blow - Middle: Adrian/Dave.  Solo at back end: Janick.

A Matter of Life and Death

Different World - Adrian
These Colors Don't Run - Dave/Adrian
Brighter Than A Thousand Sons - Adrian/Janick
The Pilgrim - Janick
The Longest Day - Adrian/Dave
Out of the Shadows - Fills: Dave  Main solo:Adrian
TROBB - Dave
FTGGOG - Janick/Adrian/Dave
Lord of Light - Adrian/Dave
The Legacy - Janick

Dance of Death

Wildest Dreams - Adrian
Rainmaker - Dave
No More Lies - Dave/Adrian/Janick
Montsegur - Janick
Dance of Death - Adrian/Dave/Janick
Gates of Tomorrow - Janick
New Frontier - Adrian/Dave
Paschendale - Dave/Adrian/Janick
Face in the Sand - Adrian
Age of Innocence - Dave

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2024 on: November 01, 2010, 09:09:02 AM »
So now that we know they're announcing more dates and with the Florida date already leaked for April, hopefully they come back to New York/New Jersey. On the Somewhere Back In Time tour, they played Izod Center in New Jersey on the first leg, and Madison Square Garden in new York on the second leg, so maybe they're reversing it this time. In any case, I hope they come back over here, and don't see why they wouldn't. :birch:
Wait, they're hitting up florida? That leaked? I might have to go make a road trip if that's the case....
https://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0D004559B4915CC9?artistid=735341&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=200

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #2025 on: November 01, 2010, 01:22:16 PM »
My girlfriend got me some Maiden 7" singles for my birthday this weekend. One of them was an etched From Here To Eternity, which turns out to have had a ticket stub from Donington 92 tucked inside it! :D

She's awesome :heart
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2026 on: November 01, 2010, 01:22:48 PM »
That's awesome! :birch:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2027 on: November 01, 2010, 01:31:43 PM »
My girlfriend got me some Maiden 7" singles for my birthday this weekend. One of them was an etched From Here To Eternity, which turns out to have had a ticket stub from Donington 92 tucked inside it! :D

What a coincidence... I just recently gave your girlfriend some 7" myself.

I keed, I keed....

But seriously, these breakdowns of the solos and everything makes me feel like a real musical dolt. Maybe I am just not listening carefully enough.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #2028 on: November 01, 2010, 01:35:58 PM »

I keed, I keed....

:lol
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #2029 on: November 01, 2010, 07:37:02 PM »

I keed, I keed....

:lol

:rollin

Comment relevant to the thread-  I definitely love one of their songs.  ;)