Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436014 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #210 on: June 17, 2009, 11:05:45 PM »
I've been listening to Brave New World a lot recently and the song Out of the Silent Planet has vaulted out of my most hated Maiden songs.  It's achieved a tolerable status where I don't need to skip over it everytime it comes on......

I enjoy the Single Edit on Visions of the Beast a lot more than the album version, it gives it better pace and flow

I like the original a lot.  Not in the top half of my ranking of BNW's songs (album overall has so many good songs), but I really like Out of the Silent Planet.

Offline Serpentor

• I am faster than 80% of all snakes
  • DT.net Member
  • I don't want a large Farva, I want a liter of cola
« Reply #211 on: June 18, 2009, 05:33:08 AM »
Got Flight 666 in the mail yesterday.  Holy crap is the concert DVD good.  Watching it totally brings me back to last year's show at the Tweeter Center in Mansfield which was one of the best concert experiences I've ever had (due to the awesomeness of the band and crowd that night)

Watching RIME of the AM gave me chills again. 
Dear Santa,
Please kill Icy for Christmas.

Love,

Everyone

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #212 on: June 18, 2009, 06:53:11 AM »
Everything  - the biblical theme of it, the quiet opening followed by the heavy verses, the slow mid-section and bridges. The guitar solos as well.

OK good enough. I was only asking because I've never made the connection. I wasn't being wise :)
Trooper - Waterloo?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #213 on: June 18, 2009, 08:17:50 AM »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #214 on: June 18, 2009, 09:20:48 AM »

Also, they should've added Judgment Day.  I have no idea why it wasn't included.

I agree. I think I was thinking of Justice Of The Peace, which would've been a great song if not for the horrid chorus. Having Judgement Day and swapping out one of the other songs really would've changed and help the whole dynamic of The X Factor.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #215 on: June 18, 2009, 11:31:44 AM »

Also, they should've added Judgment Day.  I have no idea why it wasn't included.

I agree. I think I was thinking of Justice Of The Peace, which would've been a great song if not for the horrid chorus. Having Judgement Day and swapping out one of the other songs really would've changed and help the whole dynamic of The X Factor.

Definitely.. I think Judgement day would even make it as a solid opener for the album! Put Sign of the cross at the end, and remove one of the most boring songs, and maybe put lord of the flies in the middle, to get a more rocking song giving it some fresh air after all the dark stuff, and you'll have a good flowing album!
Whatever, i love the x factor, and i can still listen to all the other songs on "best of the b-sides"  :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #216 on: June 18, 2009, 11:47:14 AM »
Yeah, it would've made a great opener. But I think Sign Of The Cross was outstanding as the first song. Of course it'd be great wherever it's placed.

I think it just goes to show how what a near miss this album was. This album could've been a masterpiece, but it really suffers from some bad arrangements and a lack of balance between Steve and the rest of the band.
They always talk about how Bruce brought in 3 songs, and Steve took the best parts of all three and made Powerslave. You could take The Edge Of Darkness, The Aftermath, and Fortunes Of War and really come up with a GREAT songs as opposed to 3 samey ones.

Oh..and I love 2AM.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #217 on: June 18, 2009, 01:58:07 PM »
Got Flight 666 in the mail yesterday.  Holy crap is the concert DVD good.  Watching it totally brings me back to last year's show at the Tweeter Center in Mansfield which was one of the best concert experiences I've ever had (due to the awesomeness of the band and crowd that night)

Watching RIME of the AM gave me chills again. 

After I watched the Flight 666 documentary, I put in the bootleg of the Mansfield show. It was a great concert indeed!

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #218 on: June 18, 2009, 02:44:11 PM »
2 AM is indeed a really good song and would have been a terrific closer. The Unbeliever feels so tacked on and misplaced.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #219 on: June 18, 2009, 02:51:07 PM »
Well, The Unbeliever is another one of those songs that had some great possibilities. I do like it, but it really had a lot more potential.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #220 on: June 18, 2009, 03:10:34 PM »

Trooper - Waterloo?
Crimean War.

I know that, I'm talking about the Iced Earth song and if TAC sees any link.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #221 on: June 18, 2009, 03:11:31 PM »
2 AM is indeed a really good song and would have been a terrific closer. The Unbeliever feels so tacked on and misplaced.

Blaze played it live with his band a few years ago.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #222 on: June 18, 2009, 03:15:16 PM »

Trooper - Waterloo?
Crimean War.

I know that, I'm talking about the Iced Earth song and if TAC sees any link.
Andy, I've never actually heard Waterloo. My Glorious Burden does not have it on it. I have the single CD with Gettysburgh, so Waterloo was left off.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #223 on: June 19, 2009, 10:19:58 AM »
The middle section of the Unbeliever is awesome, but the start and end is very disjointed.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #224 on: June 19, 2009, 11:09:44 AM »
The middle parts of most of the songs are awesome.
I like the beginning to The Unbeliever. I like what they tried to do. Then the verse comes in and just kills it.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #225 on: June 19, 2009, 11:44:39 AM »

To this day, he still plays Futureal, Sign of the Cross, Virus, Man on the Edge, Look for the Truth, When Two Worlds Collide and I think a few more with his band.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: June 19, 2009, 01:48:11 PM »

To this day, he still plays Futureal, Sign of the Cross, Virus, Man on the Edge, Look for the Truth, When Two Worlds Collide and I think a few more with his band.

Blaze's solo live album is great.  The Maiden songs they perform are done very well and sound great.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #227 on: June 19, 2009, 03:29:30 PM »
Well, then I need to get it then!

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #228 on: June 19, 2009, 03:45:40 PM »
Have you heard any of Blaze's solo stuff, TAC?

It's amazing.  Twenty times better vocally then what he did with Maiden.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #229 on: June 19, 2009, 03:50:44 PM »

I downloaded The Man Who Would Not Die last week. I'm only like 3 songs through, and yes, it is excellent. I just haven't had the time to really follow him, even though, I was impressed with HIM during the Maiden years. I'm planning on going back and buying his catalog.
I am very impressed so far, and I would add that I am NOT surprised.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #230 on: June 19, 2009, 06:32:34 PM »

I downloaded The Man Who Would Not Die last week. I'm only like 3 songs through, and yes, it is excellent. I just haven't had the time to really follow him, even though, I was impressed with HIM during the Maiden years. I'm planning on going back and buying his catalog.

Check out Silicon messiah and Tenth dimension. Both are outstanding albums!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #231 on: June 20, 2009, 07:13:39 AM »
On "The List", brother!

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #232 on: June 20, 2009, 07:32:46 AM »

Some thoughts: Man who would not die possibly best album he's done
Blood and Belief: very dark and melancholy album
Tenth Dimension: not the biggest fan of it personally
Silicon Messiah: as people have suggested, what he should have sounded like in Maiden.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: June 20, 2009, 02:53:59 PM »
I agree with those who say he sounds better on his solo albums than he did with Maiden.  His solo albums overall are really good.  I like everyone of them with his newest being my favorite.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #234 on: June 21, 2009, 07:56:03 AM »
Tenth Dimension is my favourite of his solo albums, then Silicon Messiah.  The Man Who Would Not Die and Blood and Belief are tied.

I pre-ordered The Man Who Would Not Die and his new DVD, and they both got signed by the entire band.   :hat

Offline Serpentor

• I am faster than 80% of all snakes
  • DT.net Member
  • I don't want a large Farva, I want a liter of cola
« Reply #235 on: June 23, 2009, 05:42:04 AM »
Did you guys know Bruce has his own rock show?  Pretty cool

https://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/bruce_dickinson/

Portnoy was just recently on
Dear Santa,
Please kill Icy for Christmas.

Love,

Everyone

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #236 on: June 23, 2009, 09:11:53 AM »
I took a 24 hour Dream hiatus and spent some time with a boot from probably my favorite Iron Maiden tour, the Ed Hunter reunion tour. I spent last night and this morning watching the St. John, New brunswick show. This tour had a great setlist. I saw it in Boston at The Orpheum on 7-18-99. It was July and the air conditioning was broken and it was probably the hottest show I've ever seen.

This was the setlist:
Aces High
Wrathchild
The Trooper
2 Minutes To Midnight
The Clansman
Wasted Years
Killers
Futureal
Man On The Edge
Powerslave
Phantom Of The Opera
The Evil That Men Do
Fear Of The Dark
Iron Maiden
Number Of The Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Run To The Hills

:metal :metal :metal

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #237 on: June 23, 2009, 09:17:36 AM »
Was it me who uploaded it?

Because I was the first to do so  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

And you forgot Stranger in a Strange Land, unless you meant for the Boston show.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #238 on: June 23, 2009, 09:20:11 AM »
Was it me who uploaded it?

Because I was the first to do so  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

And you forgot Stranger in a Strange Land, unless you meant for the Boston show.

Yeah, I meant the Boston show. I had that bootleg playing in the car on my way to pick up BC&SL. Unfortunately it was one of the shows that Adrian missed due to the death of his father. Did you upload the show? I got it off of Dime a year or so ago.. It's a great video.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #239 on: June 23, 2009, 09:41:04 AM »
I uploaded the St. John show, as I only have the audio bootleg of the Boston show. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #240 on: June 23, 2009, 09:47:19 AM »
Well many thanks for sourcing the St. John's show. It's a great video, from like I said, probably my favorite tour. It was so exciting to see Bruce back in the band and to see them at such a small place. I only have the audio of Boston as well.
There's not a video is there?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #241 on: June 23, 2009, 09:51:28 AM »
I'm missing very much material from Virtual XI, Somewhere in Time, etc. in this tour's setlists.  :(
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #242 on: June 23, 2009, 02:18:54 PM »
Just heard DTs To Tame a Land.  I wonder why they changed to a lower key?  Surely James can reach Bruce's notes...

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #243 on: June 25, 2009, 01:30:32 PM »
I took a 24 hour Dream hiatus and spent some time with a boot from probably my favorite Iron Maiden tour, the Ed Hunter reunion tour. I spent last night and this morning watching the St. John, New brunswick show. This tour had a great setlist. I saw it in Boston at The Orpheum on 7-18-99. It was July and the air conditioning was broken and it was probably the hottest show I've ever seen.

This was the setlist:
Aces High
Wrathchild
The Trooper
2 Minutes To Midnight
The Clansman
Wasted Years
Killers
Futureal
Man On The Edge
Powerslave
Phantom Of The Opera
The Evil That Men Do
Fear Of The Dark
Iron Maiden
Number Of The Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Run To The Hills

:metal :metal :metal

It was amazing that Bruce just came back and sang Blaze's songs like that. Suddenly not only is he back but he's singing the songs you've spent the past 5 or more years associating with Bayley. And they threw in a song I think they should have played a lot more, Phantom of the Opera.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #244 on: June 25, 2009, 02:22:19 PM »
^ Agreed.  I'm sooooo happy they put Phantom back in for the second SBIT leg, didn't ever think I'd even SEE Maiden in NZ let alone hear them play Phantom.  Awesome!

That said, I just got Eddie's Archive, awesome versions of Phantom on there and some of the B-Sides are great. Wasted Years 99 is probably my favourite, H's solo is much better than on F666 IMO