Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436332 times)

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #1820 on: September 03, 2010, 05:06:45 PM »
Guys what do you think about the intro of Satellite 15... The Final Frontier?
I think it might be their best intro ever, but the song itself is kinda... shitty.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1821 on: September 03, 2010, 05:21:29 PM »
Sounds about right, though "Aces High" is still my favorite Maiden opener, followed by The Wicker Man, followed by CSIT, followed by Satellite 15.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1822 on: September 03, 2010, 05:40:07 PM »
I like The Final Fronter (track), but it doesn't really gel with Satellite 15. Sat 15 is awesome..but it needs a proper ending. It sounds like Megadeth (Train Of Consequences-ish_ meets Skunkworks. The transition just does not jive.

My Rankings:

TNOTB
SSOASS
AMOLAD
TFF
POM
Killers
BNW
Powerslave
SiT
DOD
FOTD
IM
X Factor
NPFTD
V XI
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1823 on: September 03, 2010, 05:54:16 PM »
My biggest problem with BNW is probably that it lacks songs i really really love.
DoD has the title-track and Paschendale for example, AMOLAD has The Legacy and For the Greater Good of God and TFF has Starblind and Isle of Avalon to name a few, but BNW doesn't have a song i would rank as high.

That is exactly it. It's consistently good, but never reaches great.

Sounds about right, though "Aces High" is still my favorite Maiden opener, followed by The Wicker Man, followed by CSIT, followed by Satellite 15.

I do believe you left Moonshild off that list.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1824 on: September 03, 2010, 05:57:43 PM »
I've never heard of this "Moonshild."  Is it a B-side or something?

(nah, jk.  That comes after S15 for me.  Its one of the best parts of SSOASS)

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1825 on: September 03, 2010, 05:59:47 PM »
Moonchild is my favorite Maiden song on my favorite Maiden album.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
« Reply #1826 on: September 03, 2010, 06:02:35 PM »

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1827 on: September 03, 2010, 06:56:08 PM »
I've never heard of this "Moonshild."  Is it a B-side or something?

Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1828 on: September 03, 2010, 07:02:09 PM »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1829 on: September 03, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1830 on: September 03, 2010, 07:19:06 PM »
I really like Satellite 15 tbh, personally i think Final Frontier kinda drags down the overall-song, but Satellite 15 sounds very.. Chemical Wedding-ish IMO.
Sounds rawer, and the way Bruce sings on it sounds a bit like his solo-career.

If i would name my favorite opener its kinda hard... Aces High is great (but has been overplayed, and i've gotten slightly bored with it), favorite opener is probably... Sign of the Cross, just because its very unusual for Maiden to open with a long, epic song.
It also helps that its one of their best. :)

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1831 on: September 03, 2010, 07:47:24 PM »
I know this ended a long time ago, but "The Thin Line Between Love and Hate" is, like, the best song on BNW. I'm sad that it doesn't get that much love.

I'm not really a fan of Satellite 15 as it currently exists. It's kinda cool I guess, but it doesn't mesh well with TFF and it doesn't really go anywhere.

My favorite opener on a Maiden CD is either "Aces High" or "Caught Somewhere In Time."  "Moonchild" is really good too.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1832 on: September 03, 2010, 07:49:56 PM »
I really like Satelite 15 but I think I might have preferred it as a separate track.

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
« Reply #1833 on: September 04, 2010, 08:03:59 AM »
:tup
1. Piece of Mind
5. 7th Son

:splodetard:
My Iron Maiden top 5 is a series of perfect albums and perfect songs. Even though I love every single song they have made from those Moonchild is the song I consider a trade mark.  ;)

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1834 on: September 04, 2010, 09:00:36 AM »
I know this ended a long time ago, but "The Thin Line Between Love and Hate" is, like, the best song on BNW. I'm sad that it doesn't get that much love.

Hate it. Ruins an otherwise perfect album. I always stop listening at that track.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1835 on: September 04, 2010, 08:05:27 PM »
TTLBLAH is one of my top 3 songs on BNW.  It was nice to hear the band do something different, and Dave's guitar playing is spectacular.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #1836 on: September 05, 2010, 06:06:07 AM »
I must say I'm really enjoying this new album a lot more than AMOLAD and BNW and possibly Dance of Death.

I can't believe people are not more excited than they are. This has some amazing stuff on it. Some of the riffs and bridges flow like the kind of things they were doing in the Killers day except with Bruce on vocals!

The riffs to me seem to be much heavier than anything since the 1980s

I love the song titles as well like The Man Who would be King and When the Wild Wind Blows. The last song to my mind is far, far better than anything on AMOLAD and compares favourably to Paschendale which is one of their best songs in my opinion. The introduction and middle instrumental (as well as most of the many riffs) to this song is amazing as is the intro. to Man who would be King. These are really atmospheric, evocative songs to my mind as well e.g. the cold war, British empire.

I didn't really enjoy some of the songs on AMOLAD like The Longest Day and in particularly The Legacy.

There are at least two good songs that sound like Bruce's solo material.

I like the incidental licks and lead/vocal unison that Maiden have done in recent years.

McBrain's drumming seems to get better. Smith seems a class apart from Murray and Gers on a lot of the songs particularly the first one. Dickinson's voice seems much clearer than AMOLAD. Harris' riffs seem as good as ever.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1837 on: September 05, 2010, 06:36:29 AM »
I agree Andy. For some reason, nothing on AMOLAD really stuck out at me. I think the songs on TFF-- especially the ones you've mentioned-- have a lot more character.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1838 on: September 05, 2010, 06:47:21 AM »
After getting over that initial fan-reaction when a new album comes, i'd still rank this album among the better Maiden albums.
I agree that it's very strong, the only things i don't like would go under this:
*The Final Frontier - I love Satellite 15, but TFF kinda drags down the overall song
*El Dorado - the chorus.. probably the chorus i hate the most, in ANY maiden-song
*The Alchemist - nothing really strucks me about this song, sure it's good.. but i wouldn't miss it

With that said, Starblind and Isle of Avalon are already classics for me, and the other songs are great as well.

The biggest reason why im not going all crazy about the album is probably because metal-music feels like a finished chapter in my life, i still listen to it every now and then, but the music im currently into (the most) isn't metal, and i don't enjoy metal as much now as i used to. :P

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #1839 on: September 06, 2010, 12:03:23 PM »
Satellite 15 is a waste of time, but The Final Frontier is amazing! El Dorado is great too.

And for me, AMOLAD as a whole was amazing. Lord of Light, These Colours Don't Run, Brighter than a Thousand Suns, and The Legacy all stuck out.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1840 on: September 06, 2010, 12:08:53 PM »
FREEEEEEEEE DUUUUUUUUUMMMMM

FREEEEEEEEE DUUUUUUUUUMMMMM

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1841 on: September 19, 2010, 11:45:14 AM »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1842 on: September 20, 2010, 09:10:59 PM »
God I hate blabbermouth people.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1843 on: September 21, 2010, 10:34:11 AM »
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #1844 on: September 21, 2010, 11:25:42 AM »
I just think it might be possible that Blabbermouth's comments are worse than youtube's.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1845 on: September 21, 2010, 11:34:21 AM »
I have to say, I listened to TFF probably 3 times when if first came out, and haven't had any desire to listen to it again.  Together, S15/TFF make a great song.  I really like Coming Home and WtWWB, but all the rest of them just sound pretty generic.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1846 on: September 21, 2010, 11:41:59 AM »
Hate it. Ruins an otherwise perfect album. I always stop listening at that track.
Why?  That's one of the highlights of the album.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1847 on: September 21, 2010, 11:49:24 AM »
I have to say, I listened to TFF probably 3 times when if first came out, and haven't had any desire to listen to it again. 

I listened to it a lot on my vacation, but that meant through headphones or my car stereo. Haven't given it a proper listen on the home system yet though. I don't think there is anything bad on the album, but there isn't anything particularly outstanding either. The middle stretch of songs are enjoyable, but I don't care as much for the bookending 4 songs, though nothing really sucks. Probably my bottom post-2000 album, but not an outright bomb by any stretch.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1848 on: September 21, 2010, 01:01:24 PM »
I haven't really listened to the new album as a whole for a while now either.  "The Talisman," "Where the Wild Wind Blows," and "El Dorado" still get pretty regular plays, though I admit I stop caring halfway through WTWWB.  Occasionally I'll put on "Coming Home" or "Starblind."  I don't really feel like listening to it again either.

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
« Reply #1849 on: September 24, 2010, 10:00:29 AM »
They have added more tour dates for next year
Friday July 1st - Gothenburg Ullevi Stadium, SWEDEN
Wednesday July 6th - Oslo Telenor, NORWAY
Friday July 8th - Helsinki Olympic Stadium, FINLAND

and also this....

An extensive tour of Australia has already been announced for 2011, and watch this site for many more additional countries over the next few weeks and months. Hopefully Maiden will play somewhere near you !!

There best be a UK date in there, would love to see them again :D

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1850 on: September 24, 2010, 10:44:56 AM »
Already posted ^

But my speculation is that Australia will be followed by a Japanese and South American tour.  The UK I'm betting will get an arena tour, plus festivals in Europe.  North America will get a limited tour a la Dance of Death.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
« Reply #1851 on: September 24, 2010, 03:23:57 PM »
I even flicked through this page and still missed it  :facepalm:

Good speculation though, arena tour for UK seems right as they did soni this year.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1852 on: September 24, 2010, 08:00:46 PM »
Already posted ^

But my speculation is that Australia will be followed by a Japanese and South American tour.  The UK I'm betting will get an arena tour, plus festivals in Europe.  North America will get a limited tour a la Dance of Death.

I think North America gets more than a limited tour.  This is a completely different tour and they will most likely hit the major stops.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1853 on: September 25, 2010, 05:31:10 AM »
Man I'm pissed that most of their dates in Australia is headlining the Soundwave festival.  There is other shows in Melbourne and Sydney but not Brisbane!!  >:( >:(
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1854 on: September 25, 2010, 07:21:25 AM »
Already posted ^

I think North America gets more than a limited tour.  This is a completely different tour and they will most likely hit the major stops.

I doubt it.  They're getting old.  They haven't done a full headlining tour in support of a new album in North America since 2000.