Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436503 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #1645 on: August 25, 2010, 10:04:44 AM »
TFF is #1 in Canada and #4 in the US!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1646 on: August 25, 2010, 11:15:23 AM »
Just cranking the new CD twice while working on the dock today. I'm loving it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1647 on: August 25, 2010, 11:17:08 AM »
I'm loving it.

Me too! I ove this album. I'm very happy with it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1648 on: August 25, 2010, 11:18:58 AM »
I'm realy digging the lenght of the songs.  I like how the cd sounds and now I'll play it over and over till I know ever inch of it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1649 on: August 25, 2010, 11:21:12 AM »
What's great is that even though 5 songs are 8+ minutes or so, they still feel so damn short.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1650 on: August 25, 2010, 11:21:47 AM »
What's great is that even though 5 songs are 8+ minutes or so, they still feel so damn short.

That's DT's fault. ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1651 on: August 25, 2010, 11:28:37 AM »
True King, but I'm like, "I don't want this song to end". Suppose it's a good thing where none of the long tracks wears out its welcome.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1652 on: August 25, 2010, 11:30:51 AM »
True King, but I'm like, "I don't want this song to end". Suppose it's a good thing where none of the long tracks wears out its welcome.

I tend to overplay a new cd I love to death.  I give it a few months off and then it's fresh again.

Offline TL

« Reply #1653 on: August 25, 2010, 01:06:30 PM »
Once again, I'm proud of my country.  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1654 on: August 25, 2010, 02:43:43 PM »
I guess number 4 is pretty good, but I was really hoping for number 3 in the USA.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1655 on: August 25, 2010, 02:44:55 PM »

What crap beat it here in the US?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1656 on: August 25, 2010, 03:05:17 PM »
I don't know. I can't make any sense of the Billboard site.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #1657 on: August 25, 2010, 03:08:19 PM »

What crap beat it here in the US?

Eminem probably

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1658 on: August 25, 2010, 03:54:51 PM »
TFF is pretty good, "The Man Who Would Be King" being the highlight.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1659 on: August 25, 2010, 03:56:17 PM »
I'm glad that I'm not alone with this opinion - well, sort of. It's not my favourite on the album (that would be Starblind), but it certainly belongs to the top tier.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline TL

« Reply #1660 on: August 25, 2010, 03:57:14 PM »
Billboard doesn't actually have the up to date list posted on their site yet.
They seriously have one of the stupidest systems I've ever seen.
The example from wikipedia;
Say they track a week from Monday, Jan 1 to Sun, Jan 7. They would then post that list on Jan 11, and date it Jan 20.

Why the hell don't they just date it with the start and end of tracking dates?

Anyway, I think that means the new list will be up tomorrow, maybe.

Tracking here in Canada may be kind of shit, but it's at least less confusing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1661 on: August 25, 2010, 04:04:06 PM »
My favorite so far is The Talisman.
Then a 3 way tie for second (TIOA, Starblind, TMWWBK)
Then Coming Home would be next.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1662 on: August 25, 2010, 04:06:26 PM »
Starblind and When the Wild Wind Blows are the best them.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1663 on: August 25, 2010, 04:48:11 PM »
This album reached number 2 on the official Australian album charts.  It lost out to Eminem.  :facepalm:
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1664 on: August 25, 2010, 06:07:25 PM »
Favorites:

Satellite 15...The Final Frontier
El Dorado
Mother Of Mercy

and "Where The Wild Wind Blows" as been getting my attention lately, that's gonna be hella awesome when it really clicks.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1665 on: August 25, 2010, 07:20:26 PM »
There's been a distinct lack of GuineaPig in this thread.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1666 on: August 25, 2010, 07:25:46 PM »
Starblind FTW!!!

TMWWBK started as one of my least favourites but now is one of my favs, great song!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1667 on: August 25, 2010, 08:11:27 PM »
Still listening to TFF. Not sure how I'd rank a lot of the songs, but "El Dorado" and "When the Wild Wind Blows" are my favorites at the moment.

Still not sure what to think of "Satellite 15." It's so different from their other stuff.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1668 on: August 25, 2010, 08:30:59 PM »
There's been a distinct lack of GuineaPig in this thread.

I've been mulling over my opinions on the album.   ;D

Basically, I'm sort of unsure.  It's a pretty good album with its share of highlights and thankfully relatively few bad stretches.  It doesn't suffer from the same sort of sameness that infected AMOLAD (the sheer repetitiveness of chord progressions on that album hurts it the most); but many songs (I'm looking squarely at "The Talisman" and "When the Wild Wind Blows") fall into Maiden-by-numbers which hinder my appreciation for them (especially the latter).  Also, as much as I hate to say it, H has sort of fallen into a very predictable soloing style.  The only really "different" solo for him this album is the main one for "Starblind"; unfortunately it's pretty mediocre.

Davey is most certainly the man of the match here.  His soloing is a step above the rest of his reunion work, which is good because he was a little stale creatively (with a definite exception on the solo for Breeg) previously.  Second-place goes to Nicko who's solid here.

Bruce's performance sounds strained.  Which sucks.  He sounded great when I saw him live, so I don't know what the cause is here.  My bet is that Kevin Shirley wasn't as strict as he needed to be.  I read that the vox for "The Talisman" were recorded in one take, which is impressive, but it's not an excuse for not getting things as good as possible.  Overall the production isn't that great.  Steve needs to get the hell away from the mixing desk.  It sounds decent; but I'd like Maiden to have a little more definition.  I get the feeling that some songs suffer a hell of a lot from the combination of the previous two factors; notably "Starblind" which, imo, would be a top 5 Maiden song if it were better sonically and performance-wise.

Song of the album is definitely "Isle of Avalon."  The two solos there are the best for each respective guitarist (sans Janick, unfortunately, who once again gets the short shrift on this album) and the whole breakdown middle is fantastic.  If I were to revise my top 50, I think "Isle of Avalon", "Coming Home" (which is far and away Bruce's best performance, and should be amazing live), "Starblind" and "The Talisman" would make my top 50, in that order.  Hard to say just yet though.

Is it the best reunion-era album?  I'm unsure.  It had the potential to be.  There's a lot of diversity, cool ideas, and a real progressive-bent to this album that could have clearly elevated it above the others.  

Little notes:

- The best part about "Satellite 15... The Final Frontier" is the acoustic guitar.  Very awesome touch.
- I think not redoing "Satelite 15" was a mistake.  If it was mixed properly, it could've been a seriously epic and ominous intro.  In its rough demo form, it's interesting, but not excellent.
- The lyrics are quite good.  Except for some odd Harris lines that stick out, it might be my favourite album lyrically since The X Factor.
- Is it ever good to not have to hear a repeating chorus every song.
- "The Alchemist" is wonderfully catchy, but the performances are a bit rough, and could've used some fine-tuning.  The members aren't always in sync here.
- One similarity that people have overlooked but jumps right out to me: "The Man Who Would Be King" and "The Thin Line Between Love and Hate".  Both Murray compositions.
- "When the Wild Wind Blows" is not in the same company of "Sign of the Cross" and "Rime of the Ancient Mariner".  There are some seriously awesome sections, but as I mentioned early, there's a good chunk that's just too stock Maiden.  Also, the intro vocal melodies simply don't work as well when the song turns heavy.
- Final addendum: Don't know if I'm the first to mention this, but does anyone else hear a giant dose of Virtual XI on this album?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 08:37:16 PM by GuineaPig »
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1669 on: August 25, 2010, 08:39:32 PM »
I LOVE TTLBLAH, but TMWWBK just doesn't grab me the same way.  I kinda agree that WTWWB is sort of standard Maiden, espeically post-reunion Maiden, but its still a pretty good song.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1670 on: August 25, 2010, 09:01:03 PM »
Kinda random, but I love the "spacey" sound on the guitars throughout the album

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1671 on: August 25, 2010, 09:04:52 PM »

Really?  I don't really think they're spacey at all.

Jesus christ.  I just thought of what TFF would sound like with Somewhere in Time's production, and my mind (and pants) exploded.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1672 on: August 25, 2010, 11:03:24 PM »

Really?  I don't really think they're spacey at all.

Jesus christ.  I just thought of what TFF would sound like with Somewhere in Time's production, and my mind (and pants) exploded.
More specifically, the guitars in "Mother Of Mercy".

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1673 on: August 26, 2010, 10:05:17 AM »
https://www.bravewords.com/news/145167

Cool interview with Jannick.

Gogmagog FTW :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1674 on: August 26, 2010, 02:26:05 PM »
- "When the Wild Wind Blows" is not in the same company of "Sign of the Cross" and "Rime of the Ancient Mariner".  There are some seriously awesome sections, but as I mentioned early, there's a good chunk that's just too stock Maiden.  Also, the intro vocal melodies simply don't work as well when the song turns heavy.
- Final addendum: Don't know if I'm the first to mention this, but does anyone else hear a giant dose of Virtual XI on this album?

Good comments.  I hear much more of The X Factor than Virtual 11. And I completely agree about WTWWB.  I don't think it compares to the other maiden epics.  Its a good song and all, but doesn't blow me away like ROTAM, TTAL, SSOASS, SOTC, Paschendale...

I however, am really starting to like the production.  While using my headphones, I get a really good feel for the album, much better than AMOLAD while still getting the raw live feel that they aimed for.  Still not as good as BNW production which is my personal favorite.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #1675 on: August 26, 2010, 06:51:05 PM »
Looks like TFF has debuted at #4 on the Billboard 200. Good show, even if it is one of Maiden's weaker albums imo
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1676 on: August 26, 2010, 07:11:35 PM »
Looks like TFF has debuted at #4 on the Billboard 200. Good show, even if it is one of Maiden's weaker albums imo

I saw the thrashing you (I'm assuming it is you) gave it over at MP. You really think it's that bad? I couldn't disagree more.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1677 on: August 26, 2010, 07:13:52 PM »

Well now I know why the album has grown on me so much, you don't like it so it must be a good album. :p
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1678 on: August 26, 2010, 07:15:51 PM »
Nick, you and me typically come at Maiden from opposite sides, but I think we have an album we can agree on :D

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1679 on: August 26, 2010, 07:19:15 PM »
I can honestly say this album hasn't left my player since I got it, which is very rare this far in, and the reason for it is that I honestly enjoy it more every single time I listen to it. My favorite is still When the Wild Wind Blows, but behind that who knows, a lot of great tunes.