Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436258 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #1575 on: August 18, 2010, 02:47:49 PM »
So after my first listen, I was dissapointed.  I thought the album would blow me away from the reviews I read and I really liked El Durado and TFF.  I felt the album lacked energy and that classic maiden sound.  I have now given the album two full listens since buying it.  I was wrong.  THis album is a grower.  Im really starting to get into it.  I am yet to determine which songs I like the best, but Coming Home, Mother of Mercy, WTWWB, and TMWWBK stood out so far.  I still think Bruce's vocals are subpar for him and I think the album is still lacking in the energy found in all other albums, but I am really really starting to love this album.  Now my third listen should start soon.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 04:22:01 PM by ariich »

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #1576 on: August 18, 2010, 02:57:06 PM »
The Man Who Would Be King is fantastic!

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1577 on: August 18, 2010, 06:53:28 PM »
About to listen to this, have the copy in my hand and am doing the spine-licking ritual. 
wat

Try it!   I swear to god it makes the album sound twice as good.  The magic only works if you haven't played it yet...
:|

Will be trying it when my copy comes in the mail :tup

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #1578 on: August 18, 2010, 09:28:22 PM »
Myself and both of my brothers have reached the verdict that Where The Wild Wind Blows is really in the top 3 best Maiden songs of the last 20 years. 

:hat

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1579 on: August 18, 2010, 10:42:51 PM »
Sweet! I can't wait to here it! :birch:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1580 on: August 18, 2010, 11:15:34 PM »
What a grower this album is.  I'm loving it now, the last 6 songs are perfect.  Besides the crappy production, this one's a winner.  Loving Janick's work on this also, his Fear is the Key style solo on The Talisman is brilliant!!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1581 on: August 18, 2010, 11:17:19 PM »
Unless you're watching it live how do you know which guitarist is doing a particular solo or playing a particular part?
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #1582 on: August 18, 2010, 11:17:49 PM »
I like the production.  The whole album has a feel of being raw and live, and yet intricate.  Dickinson's vocals are the best in a while, I thought, mostly because they are completely unpolished and honest.  I'm still missing the "evil atmosphere" to their songs though, this new science fiction theme just isn't quite the same.  

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1583 on: August 18, 2010, 11:34:27 PM »
Unless you're watching it live how do you know which guitarist is doing a particular solo or playing a particular part?

3 completely different styles.  Also usually depending on which guitarist writes the songs does the majority of the soloing in their track.  Here's what I can remember from the top of my head. (I'm at work)

Satellite 15 - Fills: Adrian
Final Frontier - Adrian/Dave
El Dorado - Adrian/Dave/Janick
Mother of Mercy - Adrian
Coming Home - Dave/Adrian
The Alchemist - Janick
Isle of Avalon - Dave/Adrian
Starblind - All fills: Adrian.  Solo after 1st chorus: Adrian.  Middle: Adrian/Dave/Janick
The Talisman - Janick
The Man That Would Be King - Intro and outro fills: Dave.  Middle impro: Dave
When the Wild Winds Blow - Middle: Adrian/Dave.  Solo at back end: Janick.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 04:45:55 AM by wolfking »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1584 on: August 19, 2010, 04:44:33 AM »
Nick, if you read my previous posts, you will see i say i was judging based on what may be poor mp3, my last post was to say that the cd is in fact better than the mp3s i downloaded.  I understand there is a difference in quality of mp3s and cds, however, my ears are not always good enough to notice. I noticed this time.

It's good that you corrected yourself, but always keep this in mind, the CD is produced to be heard at it's full quality, not as an MP3, so it's really never fair to judge anything by an MP3.

I think it depends. I personally don't hear much of a difference between 320kbps MP3 and lossless. But if you're listening to under 128 kbps MP3, you're definitely not entitled to an opinion on production.

Offline erik16

• The one on the right
« Reply #1585 on: August 19, 2010, 08:11:36 AM »
This might be nitpicking but I've read everyone saying how the guitar part at 7:25 in Isle of Avalon is the same as in No More Lies. I hear Paschendale instead of NML, the part in Paschendale where Adrian begins, Janick and then Dave follow in and then a heavy section follows. Also I hear another nod to Paschendale at around 3:40, the drums and guitars sound exactly the same as in Paschendale. Funny though that when DT reuses a musical idea then for us it's a nugget :tup and for Maidenfans it's like ripping off themselves :tdwn.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #1586 on: August 19, 2010, 08:29:29 AM »
I am on my third proper listen of this album since the release, and I must say it really has grown on me more than the first two listens. The first listen was very underwhelming because a lot of the songs seemed to start to blend together. But now I can see this being one of the best albums of the year, hands down. I don't dislike the production like many, I think it's fine.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1587 on: August 20, 2010, 04:06:04 AM »
Starblind is the best song on the album, even though the chorus is very similar to Infinite Dreams.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1588 on: August 20, 2010, 04:16:30 AM »
After my first listen I think I can safely say this is one of my favorite Maiden albums EVAR.
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1589 on: August 20, 2010, 06:41:50 AM »
After a week or so, I'd say 9/10. Not one of their best works, but still pretty damn great.  :metal

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1590 on: August 20, 2010, 09:02:30 AM »
Got it yesterday, just got home from camping, gonna listen to it soon :birch:

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1591 on: August 20, 2010, 09:44:32 AM »
Definitely a very solid album after two or so weeks.  I'd put it in the middle for now.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #1592 on: August 20, 2010, 09:46:11 AM »
After a week or so, I'd say 9/10. Not one of their best works, but still pretty damn great.  :metal

9 out of 10 seems awfully high for not being one of their best works  :-\

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1593 on: August 20, 2010, 09:49:37 AM »

Unless of course it is.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1594 on: August 20, 2010, 09:51:47 AM »
I'm giving it a 7.5 right now.  Final Frontier, Mother of Mercy, and The Man Who Would Be King bring it down.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1595 on: August 20, 2010, 10:11:46 AM »
 :o

Mother of Mercy is great!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1596 on: August 20, 2010, 12:29:33 PM »

Well, not for one of the best bands in the world.  :biggrin: 

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #1597 on: August 20, 2010, 12:52:06 PM »

Well, not for one of the best bands in the world.  :biggrin: 

This is true. There's not one Maiden album I even consider mediocre. Everyone single album they've put out is amazing.I'd give their WORST album a 7/10, which is still high!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1598 on: August 21, 2010, 03:52:23 AM »
This is true. There's not one Maiden album I even consider mediocre. Everyone single album they've put out is amazing.I'd give their WORST album a 7/10, which is still high!
Exactly. The worst grade I've ever given to an Iron Maiden album is 7/10 as well, and that's for Fear of the dark. I would rank The Final Frontier at number 10, and I still give it 9/10. You can tell how awesome the other albums in my top 10 are.  ;)

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1599 on: August 21, 2010, 07:41:49 AM »
After my first listen, I can definitely see that it's a grower. The ones I really liked were "Satellite 15...The Final Frontier", "El Dorado", and "Where The Wild Wind Blows". Although, I listened to "Mother Of Mercy" again this morning, and it rocks! :birch:

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1600 on: August 21, 2010, 07:43:26 AM »
I have the CD running in my car right now. It works surprisingly well as driving music.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #1601 on: August 21, 2010, 07:46:40 AM »
Just ordered the greek digipack edition to replace my Mission Edition. Turns out the booklet is in A4 size :P

Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline erik16

• The one on the right
« Reply #1602 on: August 21, 2010, 08:01:47 AM »
This is a bit off topic:
I was watching IMTV 2010 on Youtube earlier. And the episodes started with a sound of thunder very reminiscent of the beginning of A Nightmare To Remember. Do you think it's a coincidence? Or has IM used a bit of DT. Or maybe the thunder sample was originally created by someone else? Very interesting, almost like a nugget.

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #1603 on: August 21, 2010, 08:16:36 AM »
It's an Apple loop and a heavily over-used one at that. That thunder clap is the modern day equivalent of the old one that got overused which was known as "castle thunder":

https://www.hollywoodlostandfound.net/sound/castlethunder.html
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1604 on: August 21, 2010, 08:23:13 AM »
Just ordered the greek digipack edition to replace my Mission Edition. Turns out the booklet is in A4 size :P

That's vinyl right?

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #1605 on: August 21, 2010, 08:43:46 AM »
Nope, that's CD.
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1606 on: August 21, 2010, 08:46:23 AM »
Oh man, I first read that as "geek digipack edition" :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #1607 on: August 21, 2010, 09:01:14 AM »
Oh man, I first read that as "geek digipack edition" :lol

:lol

Considering the type of people outside of Greece buying it, you're not entirely wrong to have done that. :P
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #1608 on: August 21, 2010, 11:34:30 AM »
Fuck it, this is an album that deserves a track by track review. I have found it really hard to pick the weak points of the album.

Satellite 15...The Final Frontier - So upon first hearing this song, all that came to mind was "What the shit were they smoking when they decided this was a good idea? Modern experimental sounding intro? I'm utterly confused right now. Well getting past that part, when The Final Frontier finally kicks in, I find myself liking the song a lot more. In fact, I really do like The Final Frontier. Sure, it's not Maiden's high point in song writing, but it's still a fun track. I enjoy it. 6/10 (would be 7 if the intro wasn't...the intro)

El Dorado - I don't think I'll ever quite understand the amount of negative feedback this song gets. Yes, it's not what a lot of people expected. But it's still...good. Hell, it's great. I actually hold this as one of my favourite moments of the album. The galloping bass lines, the really cool main riff, Bruce's vocal delivery during the verses, etc. It's all rather solid. And I fucking enjoy it. I think the only problem I could say I have with it is the opening and ending. That whole "freestyle guitar wankery" thing is slightly bothersome, but forgiveable. 8/10

Mother of Mercy - It's dark and war related. Something that Maiden always has done right, if you ask me. This song is fantastic. I really like Bruce's tone on this song. Though I can kind of understand some peoples issue with the chorus, but to me it's just a standard Maiden chorus. It works. And it's not No More Lies. None of these songs are. 7/10

Coming Home - I have had the god damn chorus of this song playing in my head for 3 days straight now. I love it. And aside from the catchy chorus, this is overall just a really, really good song. I have to say it's a personal favourite. It's hard for me to NOT want to listen to it. 9/10

The Alchemist - This song slightly reminds me of The Pilgrim from AMoLaD. Not because the songs sound anyway similar. But in the fact that I like them, but that's about it. The song is a solid track, but it just feels a mile or two under the rest. The case with The Pilgrim was it being one of the very few straight forward tracks on the album, and I always felt the chorus to be a bit awkward. With The Alchemist, it has that similar straight forward thing going for it, but I just feel that it is...good, but nothing special. Though it does get an extra point for the really cool solo. 7/10

Isle of Avalon - First thing I have to say about this song - it's one of the big high points. I can't stop listening to this one. From the soft opening to the thunderous riffs that come into play, it already has my attention. Also Bruce's vocals on this one are top notch. Some of my favourite on the album. The solo/instrumental section are also really fucking cool. That riff that comes into play around 5:30 always grabs my attention. I honestly can't think of a single issue I have with this song. 10/10

Starblind - I'm probably going to get a bit of shit for this but...Starblind is my least favourite track on the album. Don't get me wrong, it's good. But it's the track that has the hardest time holding my attention. The way Bruce delivers the verses feels really...awkward to me. I can't put my finger on it without sounding like a nutcase. But the first verse I'm still having an issue with. The song is...alright. But still the least interesting track to me. It's probably bound to grow on me in the future, but for now, not so much. 5/10

The Talisman - Once again it's album high point time. I really enjoy the slow intro for this song. It works well as a prologue to the musical journey we are about to be taken on. Once the song picks up...holy hell does it pick up. Everything about this song is utterly superb. The chorus being my favourite part. Bruce's vocal delivery is absolutely fantastic. Musically it might just be the most interesting track on the album. It easily has some of the most replay value out of the entire album. 10/10

The Man Who Would Be King - This might just be a song placement issue, but did Maiden really need 5 tracks in a row to have slow intros? I mean, I never have an issue with them. They worked oh so well on AMoLaD, but having them all back to back seems a little obnoxious, don't you think? It's similar to the problem I have with Avenged Sevenfold's Nightmare. The guys wrote a fantastic album, but placed for slower/ballady songs together in one clump near the end of the album. Not so much variety there. Outside of that, I very much enjoy TMWWBK. It's not fantastic, but it's still a solid track. A few parts are still growing on me, but overall it's damn enjoyable. 8/10

When The Wild Wind Blows - Here we are, the highest praised song on the TFF. Let me first mention that yes, this is the other high point of the album. In fact, all three high points basically tie together in terms of ranking and in how much replay value they have. And yes, I love this track. The slow intro is one of the most tasteful they have done due to the way it segues into the rest of the song. I also love how smooth Bruce's vocal melodies are. Some of his best, and easily the best on the album. Maiden always writes fantastic pieces of longer music. And as the bands third longest song, they proved that when given an 11 time-slot for a song, they fill it to the brim with some majorly awesome music. 10/10

When you do the math, the album comes out to a solid 80/100, so it gets an 8/10. Now that my friends, is a damn solid Maiden album.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 11:48:02 AM by lateralus88 »
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1609 on: August 21, 2010, 11:41:10 AM »
I really like Satellite 15 but I think I would have preferred it as an individual song.