Author Topic: THE Iron Maiden Thread  (Read 436307 times)

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
Re: THE Iron Maiden Thread
« Reply #1540 on: August 17, 2010, 12:39:58 PM »
It comes with a special tin case, and a game, the director's cut of the "Satellite 15... The Final Frontier" video, wallpapers, etc...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1541 on: August 17, 2010, 01:57:14 PM »
Nick, if you read my previous posts, you will see i say i was judging based on what may be poor mp3, my last post was to say that the cd is in fact better than the mp3s i downloaded.  I understand there is a difference in quality of mp3s and cds, however, my ears are not always good enough to notice. I noticed this time.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1542 on: August 17, 2010, 02:14:54 PM »
I think that article could have used a different title...

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1543 on: August 17, 2010, 04:17:12 PM »
What's on the special edition that isn't on the standard edition?
That's what I want to know as well. I bought the CD today, and it sounds lovely. I like the booklet, but I just wonder why there is only one picture of band members. And even that one features them in shadow.

I was disapointed with this also.  The first maiden album not to feature an individual photo of each band member.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1544 on: August 17, 2010, 04:17:58 PM »
It comes with a special tin case, and a game, the director's cut of the "Satellite 15... The Final Frontier" video, wallpapers, etc...

Yeah, absolute crap.  And once you unwrap the plastic the band or album name is no where to be seen.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1545 on: August 17, 2010, 04:23:16 PM »
Bought the special edition at best buy before work today, the sound is better than the mp3s I downloaded which makes me less negative towards the production

Frankly, anyone who judges production while listening to MP3's is pulling a really really stupid move. I'm not trying to attack you specifically, but I see it all the time and it's *really* annoying to see.
Completely that. Downloading illegal mp3s and then bashing the production based on them is... well, just moronic.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1546 on: August 17, 2010, 04:23:49 PM »

Yeah, absolute crap.  And once you unwrap the plastic the band or album name is no where to be seen.
NOT EVEN ON THE SPINE?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1547 on: August 17, 2010, 04:37:06 PM »

NOT EVEN ON THE SPINE?

Yeah I know, I looked too!!  I checked all four sides too  :lol

With the current trend, you think they could have at least put TFF on it.

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #1548 on: August 17, 2010, 04:42:37 PM »
I just peeled the label off the plastic and stuck it to the front. And it's not like I have any other CDs that are shiny tins in my Maiden collection so it won't be hard to find. :P
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1549 on: August 17, 2010, 04:43:25 PM »

Wait wat? There's no logo/name on the CD case?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1550 on: August 17, 2010, 04:52:34 PM »
I just peeled the label off the plastic and stuck it to the front. And it's not like I have any other CDs that are shiny tins in my Maiden collection so it won't be hard to find. :P

That's beside the point IMHO.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1551 on: August 17, 2010, 04:54:14 PM »

You read that right my friend.  The normal edition is the cd with proper cover with band and album name.  The special edition is a plain crap tin box, a booklet with no band name or album name, just the image, and the cd holder is a crap piece of plastic.  One of the most disappointing album packaging I've ever come across.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1552 on: August 17, 2010, 04:55:35 PM »

You read that right my friend.  The normal edition is the cd with proper cover with band and album name.  The special edition is a plain crap tin box, a booklet with no band name or album name, just the image, and the cd holder is a crap piece of plastic.  One of the most disappointing album packaging I've ever come across.
Wow, I'm not as excited to get it in the mail anymore :(

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1553 on: August 17, 2010, 04:58:58 PM »

Sorry dude, and the special features suck ass.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1554 on: August 17, 2010, 05:06:59 PM »

:lol Hopefully the album kicks ass (yes, I've resisted the urge to download it thusfar).

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1555 on: August 17, 2010, 05:11:36 PM »

It's definitely a grower.  I was very underwhelmed on my first listen.  It's grows on me more and more everytime.  It's a good record.

:lol Hopefully the album kicks ass (yes, I've resisted the urge to download it thusfar).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1556 on: August 17, 2010, 05:56:18 PM »
i was also surprised about the no band name or album name on the special edition... I guess if you are buying it then you know what it is.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1557 on: August 17, 2010, 05:58:47 PM »
Nick, if you read my previous posts, you will see i say i was judging based on what may be poor mp3, my last post was to say that the cd is in fact better than the mp3s i downloaded.  I understand there is a difference in quality of mp3s and cds, however, my ears are not always good enough to notice. I noticed this time.

It's good that you corrected yourself, but always keep this in mind, the CD is produced to be heard at it's full quality, not as an MP3, so it's really never fair to judge anything by an MP3.

I think that article could have used a different title...

My thoughts exactly.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TL

« Reply #1558 on: August 17, 2010, 10:24:05 PM »
So good to finally have the album in my hands.

I will say, I'm glad I only got the standard edition; the special edition looks kind of shit. Great album anyway.

Offline Bandit Manatee

« Reply #1559 on: August 18, 2010, 12:27:13 AM »
Where The Wild Wind Blows is a pretty good song.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1560 on: August 18, 2010, 04:14:17 AM »

I will say, I'm glad I only got the standard edition; the special edition looks kind of shit. Great album anyway.

I'm gonna buy the standard edition this weekend, the special edition is shit!!

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #1561 on: August 18, 2010, 07:46:14 AM »

I'm gonna buy the standard edition this weekend, the special edition is shit!!

:lol Maybe the plan all along was to make a crappy special edition so we'd all go and buy a second copy in the regular edition to replace it?
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1562 on: August 18, 2010, 08:58:52 AM »
Wish I would have bought the regular edition! I can't figure out what's so good about the special edition.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1563 on: August 18, 2010, 09:05:32 AM »
I honestly only bought the special editiom because im a die hard fan, there is no other reason to get it.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1564 on: August 18, 2010, 09:39:35 AM »
Been listening to the album for a week now, and got the sadly dissapointing Tin Sleeve today. The bonus features was somewhat cool though!
Still love the album!
Best songs are Isle of Avalon, Starblind and Mother of Mercy. Worst is probably The Man who Would be King. Not bad, but most uninteresting. Pretty sad, 'cause it's Dave's song, and he's my favorite member!

The Gers songs are awesome as well. I really think he should have written more this time, and i usually rank his tunes the lowest (except for The Legacy and Dance of Death off course). But both The Alchemist and The Talisman are really good tracks! Kudos!

The sad thing is, i can't really get wildlt into When the wild wind blows.. Some of the melodies are awesome, but as a whole it can get kind of....boring, i guess. And i kind of dislike the lyrics, even though the story is easy to follow. Maybe it will grow on me though.

The album: 8/10 and growing.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1565 on: August 18, 2010, 09:56:12 AM »
Got in the mail yesterday, thanks amazon. First listen through (other than tracks 1 and 2)... just like the good ol' days.

Definitely no 'WOW HOLY SHIT :metal Paschendale-type moments, but overall a good collection of songs after a first listen.

Been listening on headphones at work, so can't comment on production/mixing/mastering...

And lol about the 'special' edition. Glad I opted for the regular edition. I hate special cases that screw up my CD shelves, and bonus features that aren't worth the extra $$$.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1566 on: August 18, 2010, 09:59:31 AM »
Starblind and Isle of Avalon are my favorites, overall it's a great record.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1567 on: August 18, 2010, 10:00:06 AM »
To Albion's laaaand!  :heart
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1568 on: August 18, 2010, 10:10:22 AM »
HAVE YOU EVER HEARD THE WOLF CRY TO THE BLUE CORN MOON?

Wait, I mean,

HAVE YOU HEARD WHAT THEY'RE SAYING ON THE NEWS TODAY???

:metal :metal :metal

Online Dream Team

« Reply #1569 on: August 18, 2010, 10:37:57 AM »
Just got it at Best Buy, will listen on the way home from work tonight . . . from the little bit I've heard I don't like the production AT ALL  :sadpanda:.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #1570 on: August 18, 2010, 12:46:00 PM »
I bought it today like I said I would  :biggrin:

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #1571 on: August 18, 2010, 12:50:08 PM »
About to listen to this, have the copy in my hand and am doing the spine-licking ritual. 

Edit:  Intro caught me completely off guard!  NICE!  The vocals just exploded out of nowhere!  What an opener!

The Talisman is a pretty awesome song!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 01:12:00 PM by dtismajesty »

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1572 on: August 18, 2010, 01:11:33 PM »
Nicko likes Iron Maiden's mistakes (on the new album)

https://www.rockradio.co.uk/rock-news/nicko-likes-maidens-mistakes/n4t1l5x8/

Hmm interesting.

Thats one thing i love about the newer albums. They aren't meant to be perfect. They are supposed to sound like they play live, just like all early 70-Deep Purple album does.
I personally love the production. It sounds raw! I love hearing Nicko hitting the hi-hat for a beat instead of the ride-cymbal in "Mother of mercy" or Bruce missing the note on the second last chorus in "Starblind". Its a part of the charm, and it proves most of this stuff is actually played live! It just proves they are such an amazing band for being able to record the backing tracks and most of the vocals live in the studio.
This is a reason for why i love Maiden so much. They do it completely their own way, and they don't give a fuck about making the album sound like "it's supposed to" or making setlist for a tour just to please people who have only heard their "hits".
Maiden rules! NP: The Talisman  :metal

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1573 on: August 18, 2010, 02:14:21 PM »
About to listen to this, have the copy in my hand and am doing the spine-licking ritual. 
wat

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #1574 on: August 18, 2010, 02:43:28 PM »
wat

Try it!   I swear to god it makes the album sound twice as good.  The magic only works if you haven't played it yet...